Type keyword(s) to search

Hunter X Hunter - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well done, @Sandman87. Been a while since I've seen CTCD, but I vaguely remember that.

Having the ability to discern information about a person by eating their hair has got to be a very bad ability to possess. If I had that, I would have to go stealth, because I wouldn't want anybody know about that.

We get more about Biscuit. Wait, the last "Biscuit" we saw on Toonami died like a punk, so lets call her "Bisky." She takes the boys under her finely-dressed wing, making them level up on some asshole with a scissor fetish, then forcing them to dig a path to a place they already visited. Oh, and her last name is "Kruger," so you know there might be something behind that. Minimum, she can be considered scary for constantly one-shotting Killua.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Having the ability to discern information about a person by eating their hair has got to be a very bad ability to possess. If I had that, I would have to go stealth, because I wouldn't want anybody know about that.

If I had that, I'd open a barber shop in the wealthiest part of York New City and blackmail the hell out of my customers.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Oh, and her last name is "Kruger," so you know there might be something behind that.

"Krug" means jug in German. Make of that what you will.

In case you missed it . . . more training with Bisky, as she gets more technical with Gon and Killua. Bright side: it's pretty easy to watch, even though you have the boys fighting in slow-motion, kinda like Jackie Chun and Krillin reenacting a fight in Dragon Ball.

Meanwhile, the group of gamers that we've seen off and on get ready to make their move . . . and then one guy announces that he is the nefarious Bomber, reveals that he has placed bombs on everybody, and demands their cards to release them. Man, don't you hate when that happens? There are negotiations, and the dude that looks related to Tonpa loses his head. Literally. Oh, and the Phantom Troupe sail towards Greed Island.

I'm still tying to work out how it's actually a real island.  But technology seems pretty far advanced in H x H world, so maybe?

I'm somewhere between amused and horrified that we slipped a two month training montage into one or two episodes, but maybe it's good that we are respecting that training takes time.  

Wait, that was two or three months? I thought it was a couple of weeks.

5 hours ago, lathspel said:

I'm still tying to work out how it's actually a real island.  But technology seems pretty far advanced in H x H world, so maybe?

A wizard nen-master did it!

I've watched a bunch of these in the last couple weeks and I swear I heard Bisky say "months". 

i forgot to mention before, but I've been enjoying how they've worked the ending theme into the last couple moments of each ep (possibly excepting last week).  Nicely done!

Anybody see the last episode? Kinda fitting . . . the Phantom Troupe arrive on Greed Island, then get dismissed almost immediately. Meanwhile, the Bombers get all that they want, and they reward their victims by blowing them up. Because they're assholes, you see, and it will be awesome when they cross Gon and he humiliates them. Also, the one dude from the doomed group saves himself, but creates a bizarre creature. Okay, then.

Oh, and Killua bails to take the Hunter Exam. You know what are missing? "So long, Killua! Good luck! Try not to get angry and murder anybody during testing!!!"

I think I've identified what's been annoying me about this series: It's suffering from the Death Note disease, where all of the characters spend most of their time thinking really hard about what the other characters are thinking. "I know he knows that I know, but does he know that?"

The City of Love was hilarious. Within minutes of arriving, Gon & Friends experienced every cliche anime potential love interest intro imaginable. It's probably a good thing they turned around and left, otherwise one of them might have gotten a School Days story ending.

Also hilarious - Hisoka checking out Gon and Kilua's butts.

I like the fact that each of Razor's clones has as many tassels on their hat as their assigned number. Nice detail.

If most of the Insane Sports Pirates (Razor's group) are convicted criminals, it makes me wonder where they get the criminals. Is there a Greed Island law enforcement, judicial, and penal system? Do they have some kind of deal going with one or more countries to take criminals off of their hands?

I suspect that Hisoka has a boatload of tricks that he's been saving up for special occasions. I still want to know how he transformed that one guy's arms to flower petals the first time he appeared.

And speaking of the Schween-master, he had that "I need to change my underwear" look again when Gon broke out the huge power-up.

I like this show, but the wall of exposition of strategy and counter-strategy is a little hard to take sometimes. I feel like I either need a good diagram, or else a little longer in each ep to digest it. 

Caught the latest episode yesterday. While there's not much action, at least it's more interesting, though I don't see why the Troupe would let Hisoka near them without trying to murder him. And the youngest Troupe member isn't as cute as Gon or Killua, so I don't know why Hisoka would come back to them.

Lead Bomber = Evil Fred from Scooby-Doo? It's the sweater wrapped around the neck that makes me think that.

On 10/22/2017 at 10:42 AM, Sandman87 said:

A Gon/Kilua/Hisoka man-train. Yeah, that happened.

Well, they did have to stop a ball going Mach 2. Sometimes, you have to get close to the man with the van and the candy, even if you don't really want the candy. I can see where the dodgeball arc would lag. Also, as somebody who played Super Dodgeball on the NES, I was disappointed that nobody got hit, flew away from the field, then came back from the other side. That was so awesome back then.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Lead Bomber = Evil Fred from Scooby-Doo? It's the sweater wrapped around the neck that makes me think that.

He'd need an ascot for that.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Sometimes, you have to get close to the man with the van and the candy, even if you don't really want the candy.

Hisoka better just keep his "van" in it's "garage", otherwise Gon's likely to enhanced-punch him right in the "candy."

12 hours ago, Sandman87 said:
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

He'd need an ascot for that.

That's really more of a neckerchief.

12 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Hisoka better just keep his "van" in it's "garage", otherwise Gon's likely to enhanced-punch him right in the "candy."

Knowing Hisoka, he would probably be into that.

It’s not a surprise that Bisky is an Amazon, right?

Waiting to see why Gon has to be able to time 10 seconds (if I saw it right) so closely. Probably has something to do with the Bomber’s time to reload his ability?

I can’t figure out why the good guys are willing to trust guy with the two gorilla Nen beasts with all their cards.  I’m sure he’s honorable, it’s just that they haven’t shown enough of him to really prove it for me.  

I’m impressed Gon could beat Genthru.  But after his talk of going off the plan, does it mean we won’t find out why he had to be able to time 100 milliseconds so exactly?

I never got the rules of the card game straight.  Did we exceed the max uses of Angel’s Breath?  Or of the Clone that had been used on it?

He had to have the time down exactly because that is how long a card could be out before it would automatically activate. So he had to time his jump to the escape tunnel perfectly, too early would tip off Genthru and too late he would be crushed.

• Love 1

Caught the latest episode. Gon is a bit of a dork, but he is hardcore as all hell. Even in a place where severe injuries can be remedied, he let himself get maimed. And I'm thinking he used an aura thing (Nen? Ren?) to keep from bleeding out from where his hand used to be.

Missing dialogue: "Guys? That little girl? She's a man." Long pause. "Whaaaaaaaaaa?" I know, more like really buff lady, but you can see Genthru's flunkies not know or caring about any difference.

When Biskie "gained" her card I couldn't stop mentally singing "♫ She's got the whole world in her hands... ♪"

Buh-bye Greed Island. The show got one aspect of MMOs right: They suck, mainly because other players are involved.

I was half-watching; will give it a full look on DVR. Quick question: Are you guys okay with "Departure" being used in (seemingly) all the credits? It's catchy, but I can understand fatigue. Like how Adult Swim crammed "Ready Steady Go" for most of Fullmetal Alchemist.

You mean different words? Didn't know that. Of course, I wouldn't notice. At least the end credits differ. I think I like the first one the best, mostly because Hisoka appears when the singer screams, "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! IT'S RAPE TIME!" I know, more of a coincidence because he wasn't singing in English, but I find it funny.

The ant queen discovers something that ogres and wicked witches have known for centuries; children are delicious and nutritious. Also, Gon and Killua meet the rest of Kite's crew, who are awfully impressed by G & K's families.

Gon, Killua, and Kite get to fight their first one on one battles against Chimera Ant warriors. It goes about how you would expect. And Kite's weapon is almost annoying enough to have crossed over from Soul Eater.

Meanwhile, the evil Bunny-Bird ant warrior gains some nen powers. I wonder if he's going to be able to use them effectively right out of the gate, or if he'll have to do some training.

Man, this is a friggin' brutal arc. I mean, some of the chimeras look great . . . especially the lead guy, the penguin and the koala. The rest are various degrees of frightening . . . and that's without one of them firing bullet after bullet into the lady Hunter. Or the one entering the "stage" with two almost-naked men crawling in a distorted manner on leashes. Killua realizing that he's more or less a monster is rather comforting. And Gon gets to break out his scissor move.

@Sandman87 .  . what do you have against Soul Eater?!? The clown weapon thing was nowhere near as obnoxious as Excalibur. That one would never leave.

ETA: At least Hisoka isn't popping up. Things are bad enough with ever-evolving ants murdering everybody and their queen needing more humans to munch on. Bring in Rape Jester would seem a step too far.

Edited by Lantern7

Gon and Killua are thoroughly outclassed by the Cat Lady Neferpitou, and Kite tells them to run. Exit Killua, lugging an unconscious Gon. They meet up with help in the form of the three toughest guys that the Hunter Association has available, including the Chairman. He assigns them a challenge back in town ("go fight these guys") to prove that they're strong enough to help. Gon wakes up, and is sure that Kite is still alive. Cut to Cat Lady contemplating Kite's severed head.

(edited)

Caught the episode today. To review (no spoilers; I don't look ahead):

Neferpitou: It's sad that the "regular" chimeras have to get beat up to get their special abilities . . . and none of them hold a candle to me. Also, I look cute, but I'm basically a giant damn bug. Think of that if you want a body pillow with my image on it! I need a test . . .

Kite: Say, Gon? I'm going to impart a little knowledge, and then I'm going to give you Ging's Hunter's License. Because I'm certain you'll meet him soon.

Gon: Why don't you do it yourself?

Kite: (peeking at the script, breaking into heavy sweat) No reason. I figure that once we're done here, I'll help with the cleanup.

Neffy: TESTING MYSELF!!!!!

Kite: (seeing his arm go flying) Oh, fuck me, I got Tien'd. (to Gon and Killua) RUUUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Gon: But I'm the protagonist! I need to be defeated so I can level up!

Killua: Or I can knock you out and run away.

(Later)

Netero: Hi! I'm the Chairman of the Hunters Association, which tells the audience how dire the situation is. Here are two new badass Hunters: bespectacled Knov and hulking Morel. They're here to berate you for following Kite's final order.

Killua: (sighing) Could you two assholes lay into me twice as hard? You have to understand that while Gon has a power button, you really have to hit it in order to turn him off.

Netero: Well, here's a promise of a level-up mission!

(Later)

Killua: Gon, I'm sorry I knocked you out and ran away. Those two fuckwads who will more than likely get murdered brutally were right about me being less than a coward.

Gon: (beaming) It's okay! You had to do it! I don't hate you at all! Let's recover, go on the side quest, and show those big ants what for!!!

Killua: (staring, sweatdrop) You have so much power, you believe in people, and you just want to meet your father. You're going to die for the sins of man, aren't you?

Gon: Maybe that will be the end if Togashi is healthy enough to finish the manga! Besides, I'm sure Kite is still alive. He's a badass! No way does he die, even with a missing arm!

Neffy: (Kite's head in her lap) Unless he's really good at playing possum? I highly doubt it!

Edited by Lantern7

Wait, so Kite is alive? Or his body is intact? What, did Crazy Slots turn into a head? I'm confused. Also, I think the new Queen's Guard is a butterfly guy named Shialepoof. I'll have to watch on DVR.

Seriously, Kite living doesn't seem likely after last week's episode. Only one character could pull that.

Neffy: Wow, that was great! (looking down in her lap) Thanks for the workout!

Hisoka: MMmmmmmmm . . . don't mention it.

Neffy: AAAAAAAHHH!!!!!! RAPE JESTER!!!!

Hisoka: And that wasn't my favorite place to be, but everybody assumes I like guys. And by "guys," I mean "boys."

• Love 1
(edited)

It may (or may not) interest you to know that Neferpitou is referred to with male pronouns in the manga and the author has specifically stated that the character is meant to be male. The character is more female-appearing in the anime and is voiced by a woman. In the subbed version, they were careful to avoid using "he" or "she" when referring to Neferpitou.

But since the character is a giant insect with no reproductive capacity, does it even mean anything to say whether it is male or female? Is "gender" one of the traits the ants can acquire by consuming gendered species?

Edited by PotterOtherP
(edited)

Knuckle reminds me of Hammerhead from the Marvel comics, if he dressed like a Japanese high-school delinquent.

I hereby dub the butterfly guy "Cheesy Poof."

Edited by Sandman87

Knuckle reminded me more of one of the JoJo's crossed with Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho.

When Gon gets older he's going to need to watch out.  He keeps attracting crazy.  Palm is kind of nuts, but I curious to see if she ends up being more than a one-note character.  

I really glad we get Biscuit back. She's probably my favorite secondary character (excluding Hisoka, Kurapika and Leorio as they aren't really secondary characters).  

Almost forgot: Is it wrong that I think Palm is kind of hot?

15 hours ago, Matt K said:

I really glad we get Biscuit back. She's probably my favorite secondary character (excluding Hisoka, Kurapika and Leorio as they aren't really secondary characters).

I had to think for a second to remember who Leorio is.