Type keyword(s) to search

Talking Dead: Because Chris Hardwick Wants to Beat Ryan Seacrest

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Madison doing in Daddy has never been explicitly stated, but there have been hints dropped throughout the course of the series going all the way back to the initial outbreak scenes in Madison's school in Season 1.  Most recently there was one strong indicator comment by Madison in one of the most recent 2 or 3 episodes, since the Clarks got to the Otto compound; if I can re-track it down I'll let you know where.

Found it - The latest teaser clue, from S3Ep3 ("TEOTWAWKI"), about halfway into the episode.  Jeremiah's and Madison's conversation after he catches her viewing the "outtake" tape from his video series (referring to Troy's alcoholic mother):

Madison: My father was a drunk like her.

Jeremiah: The booze kill him?

Madison: (short pause) In a way, yeah.

Edited by Nashville
Grammar
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Nashville said:

Madison doing in Daddy has never been explicitly stated, but there have been hints dropped throughout the course of the series going all the way back to the initial outbreak scenes in Madison's school in Season 1.  Most recently there was one strong indicator comment by Madison in one of the most recent 2 or 3 episodes, since the Clarks got to the Otto compound; if I can re-track it down I'll let you know where.

Thank you for offering, Nashville, but I feel silly asking you to take time rooting around in past episodes. I'll try the Google Machine and see what that kicks up. It'll be an adventure :)

You know, I completely missed this. Then again, I don't much care about Madison.

But I remember in the first season (maybe somewhere in 2nd season, too) there was some suggestion of Madison being involved in her husband's (Nick and Alicia's dad) death. Not overtly, but through neglect, aka, being a bitch.

Maybe that's her modus operandi-- to get rid of her male equals/superiors. Bye, Jeremiah.

• Love 1

So are they basically implying that anyone who can survive and adapt (thrive?) in the apocalypse has a murderous past? If Madison killed her pops and Daniel Salazar was a ruthless war killer once upon a time and ol' crazy brother in the compound is clearly a psychopath, do we need to start killing squirrels if there's any hope for us?

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, nachomama said:

So are they basically implying that anyone who can survive and adapt (thrive?) in the apocalypse has a murderous past? If Madison killed her pops and Daniel Salazar was a ruthless war killer once upon a time and ol' crazy brother in the compound is clearly a psychopath, do we need to start killing squirrels if there's any hope for us?

Waddaya mean, 'start'?  (muahahahahaha...!)  ;>

• Love 2
On 7/3/2017 at 8:43 PM, JackONeill said:

But I remember in the first season (maybe somewhere in 2nd season, too) there was some suggestion of Madison being involved in her husband's (Nick and Alicia's dad) death. Not overtly, but through neglect, aka, being a bitch.

She told the story to Strand in season two in the let's get drunk and break up a hotel bar because surely the undead won't hear that scene.  We learned that Nick and Alicia believe he died in a traffic accident when he really drove into a concrete highway divider, with the strong implication that he did it on purpose.  The joke at the time was well, who wouldn't rather than come home to Stoneface?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, nachomama said:

If Mad's dad was an abusive alcoholic and he was posing a real and immediate threat to her life and/or others (Mom?  Sibs?), then a killing in self-defense would hardly be considered murder.

• Love 2

Did say I blamed her, just establishing a pattern. Errbody that has adapted, their cheese done slid off the cracker pre-apocalypse. Alicia keeps trying to find boyfriends, but her brother walks amongst the dead. I don't think I paid attention when Madison talked about her dad but I definitely got a vibe about the husband.

21 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Did say I blamed her, just establishing a pattern. Errbody that has adapted, their cheese done slid off the cracker pre-apocalypse. Alicia keeps trying to find boyfriends, but her brother walks amongst the dead. I don't think I paid attention when Madison talked about her dad but I definitely got a vibe about the husband.

Seeing as how hubby got a car about a bridge abutment, can't say as I fault you on that'un - or him, for that matter.  ;>

On 7/5/2017 at 7:03 AM, nachomama said:

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I missed Snookie's episode, but I saw the last one and didn't think Dayton Callie was all that bad.  Acting is his job.  He just does his job and moves on.  He did seem to be having a problem with Sinbad that was never addressed.

4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

The only good squirrel is a dead squirrel.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I missed Snookie's episode, but I saw the last one and didn't think Dayton Callie was all that bad.  Acting is his job.  He just does his job and moves on.  He did seem to be having a problem with Sinbad that was never addressed.

I think they were both drunk/high and Dayton was trying out who was more fucked up -- him or Sinbad.

4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Acting is his job.  He just does his job and moves on.  He did seem to be having a problem with Sinbad that was never addressed.

That's interesting - I didn't get that impression.  I thought it was a decent episode and that they were both good guests.

Dayton Callie said the only good thing about his character (not the show) was the paycheck, so I figured he meant that Jeremiah has no redeeming qualities. 

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, raven said:

Colman and Yvette are great together.  Will have to actually watch this tomorrow because they are fun.

That was a fun watch!  I think Colman could have chemistry with a fence post.  When Chris suggested how he'd love to see a show about just Strand before the ZA, I was yelling, "Yes!  Yes!"

• Love 1
On 9/25/2017 at 2:25 AM, SnarkyTart said:

Enjoyed Mercedes Masohn (Ofelia) on Talking Dead tonight.  She's attractive, intelligent, and funny.  Has Daniel Sharman (Troy) been in studio with Hardwick on Talking Dead?  I can't remember.

I don't think he has.  I though Sam Underwood was pretty good too.  I don't know who the other guy on the couch was, he was OK.  The stuffed rats were cute.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, raven said:

Alright that was funny.  "Before you tell someone that being funny is more important than being good at sex...that's what I tell my wife all the time".  LOL Hardwick.

Works for me.  :D

• Love 2
5 hours ago, raven said:

Alright that was funny.  "Before you tell someone that being funny is more important than being good at sex...that's what I tell my wife all the time".  LOL Hardwick.

Then when Ayisha said it was important both to be funny and to be good at sex, Chris started the back and forth about how you could be having sex and being funny at the same time.  When the two of them started acting out what that might look like, I was laughing out loud.  This was a pretty fun episode of Talking Dead.

• Love 1

I appreciated it when Alycia and Chris talked about the show featuring a relationship (with Jake) where the relationship didn't define everything and her leadership wasn't questioned. then she ruined it by saying "well of course it wasn't the be all or end all and she didn't really love him." See, to me implies she thought him weak because he didn't challenge her as leader. What is wrong with having a relationship where the man doesn't overrule the woman and he is not considered weak and you can still care about each other. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, deemac said:

I was tickled that Aisha echoed what so many here say about Madison. 

She said something about her "cold stare" or "dead eyes" LOL and talked about how much she can't stand Madison.

• Love 2
On 10/2/2017 at 5:58 PM, raven said:

She said something about her "cold stare" or "dead eyes" LOL and talked about how much she can't stand Madison.

She may be my new favorite guest for this one statement! Chris seemed a bit uncomfortable lol

• Love 2

Interesting how very little mention Cliff Curtis's appearance was. (Admittedly, it was short.) I always got the impression that Kim Dickens wasn't too terribly upset when Travis died. I think she knew they could only have one lead--her.

• Love 1

The thing that most struck me about this last episode was when Hardwick read Gimple's letter.  He (Gimple) referred to the Clarks as "the family that we love".  I was thinking, has he even seen the show?  I've been hoping for the lot of them to be killed off since the show started.  They are such an unlikeable bunch I just assumed that was by design.  You mean we're supposed to like, even love them?  Seriously?  The only one I can stand is Alicia, and I don't know how much goodwill she has left to spend lol.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

The thing that most struck me about this last episode was when Hardwick read Gimple's letter.  He (Gimple) referred to the Clarks as "the family that we love".  I was thinking, has he even seen the show?  I've been hoping for the lot of them to be killed off since the show started.  They are such an unlikeable bunch I just assumed that was by design.  You mean we're supposed to like, even love them?  Seriously?  The only one I can stand is Alicia, and I don't know how much goodwill she has left to spend lol.

Weirdly enough, I could barely understand a single word Chris was saying when he read Gimple's letter.  Normally Chris has very good enunciation and it's never been a problem.  Nor was it a problem during this show, except when he read that letter.  I didn't have closed captioning turned on because I've never needed during any of the "Talking" shows.  I looked around the internet trying to find a text version of the Gimple letter, but turned up nothing.  Frustrating!  So, he called it "the family that we love"?  Obviously, Gimple can't wait to turn this show into an even bigger POS, the same way he's done to the mothership since taking the helm.

16 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Obviously, Gimple can't wait to turn this show into an even bigger POS, the same way he's done to the mothership since taking the helm.

As others have noted, this show is a POS to begin with.  So maybe his touch will work in reverse. 

I still think TWD is pretty good though, not as good as the early seasons obviously.  There are definite issues with it, but this isn't the appropriate place to discuss them.  

They also talked about there being a crossover between the two shows.  I thought this show was supposed to be set in an earlier timeline, closer to the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.  So that seems like a bit of a stretch.  I've found FTWD to be so irritating, I hate the thought of it interacting with the main show (which I still enjoy).

I still juat cannot get over Gimple calling the Clarks "the family that we love" though.  What the heck is he watching?  Are we really supposed to love this bunch of unlikeable characters?  Gimple does come off as being pretty presumptuous about the fans when I've seen him.  And pretentious - like they are making high art or something.  

By the way, maybe you've found it by now, but here is a copy of the text of the letter.  There could be what some consider spoilers, I guess:

Hello friendos! Fear the Walking Dead Season 4 takes everything awesome that Fear the Walking Dead is now and evolves it from a Charmander into a full-sized Charizard. And new characters, environments, challenges, and situations will see mind-bending walkers. Heroes become villains, villains become heroes. And the family we love expand as their world expands. It shall be a giant-sized, all-new, all-different sense-shattering season of characters coming together in the midst of horror, heroism, heart-warmth, triumph, tragedy, and tectonic shifts of The Walking Dead universe. And, there will also be candy. Start training in the offseason, people. We look forward to seeing you there. – Mr. Gimple.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

By the way, maybe you've found it by now, but here is a copy of the text of the letter

Thank you!  No wonder Chris didn't enunciate this very clearly when he read it...he was probably embarrassed!  Presumptuous and pretentious definitely describe it.  I think you may be on to something in speculating whether he's ever actually watched FtwD.  He describes the "family that we love" becoming full-sized Charizard?  Overlooking the dorky Pokemon analogy, he does realize that Charizard, while fierce fire-breathing dragons, never turn their fire on weaker opponents, right?  That would definitely NOT describe the Clark family, destroyer of worlds, who go all scorched earth on every  community they find.

Edited by SnarkyTart
22 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Obviously, Gimple can't wait to turn this show into an even bigger POS, the same way he's done to the mothership since taking the helm.

IMO, TWD had some of its best creative seasons under Gimple and definitely its highest ratings. In contrast, FTWD has been a POS from almost day one and cannot be made any worse. Gimple wasn't able to do much with FTWD this past season although his addition of Walker and Crazy Dog has been a positive. However, the crossover has potential. I will definitely be watching and maybe it will bring in some TWD viewers. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

IMO, TWD had some of its best creative seasons under Gimple and definitely its highest ratings. In contrast, FTWD has been a POS from almost day one and cannot be made any worse. Gimple wasn't able to do much with FTWD this past season although his addition of Walker and Crazy Dog has been a positive. However, the crossover has potential. I will definitely be watching and maybe it will bring in some TWD viewers. 

Gimple has never been involved with FtwD, so had nothing to do with the addition of Walker and Crazy Dog.  He'll be coming aboard for the first time in season 4, replacing showrunner/co-creator, Dave Erickson.  While I agree with you that this show has been a POS almost from day one, I disagree that it can't be made worse.  And Scott Gimple is just the guy who can do it.   The Walking Dead used to be my favorite show until Gimple took over in season 4.  For me (YMMV) it's been a downhill ride since then.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

I think you may be on to something in speculating whether he's ever actually watched FtwD.  

Yeah, in his letter he says "Heroes become villains, and villains become heroes".  I have absolutely no idea who he is talking about, because most of the characters are just various shades of gray.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

Gimple has never been involved with FtwD, so had nothing to do with the addition of Walker and Crazy Dog.  He'll be coming aboard for the first time in season 4, replacing showrunner/co-creator, Dave Erickson.  While I agree with you that this show has been a POS almost from day one, I disagree that it can't be made worse.  And Scott Gimple is just the guy who can do it.   The Walking Dead used to be my favorite show until Gimple took over in season 4.  For me (YMMV) it's been a downhill ride since then.

My mistake about Gimple being the executive producer last season which frankly is to his credit. If he cannot improve FTWD, there is no shame in that because the show has been crap almost from day one. As for TWD, he has been great producer despite the last season which has been the weakest, imo.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Someone has said on the other forum that sometimes you can't really understand what's going on because the only place they explain it is on Talking Dead.  This week had a good example of that, or at least I thought so.

In FTWD, Strand was carrying around a small piece of stone or something, my thought was "What is that, a piece of gravel?".

Then on Talking Dead, there was a clip of the actor explaining that it was a piece of the dam that Strand carried around to remind him not to make those kind of mistakes again.

Kudos to those smart enough to have figured that out, but I never would have made the connection.

• Love 1

Damn, Dillane ASKED to be taken off the show. Hopefully it wasn't after reading our comments on the episode threads.

I always suspected Cliff Curtis requested the same. No idea if I'm right on this; I imagine both Fear and TWD are very difficult physically especially since they shoot a good portion outdoors. But maybe the actors think the scripts suck as much as some of us do?

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

Damn, Dillane ASKED to be taken off the show. Hopefully it wasn't after reading our comments on the episode threads.

I always suspected Cliff Curtis requested the same. No idea if I'm right on this; I imagine both Fear and TWD are very difficult physically especially since they shoot a good portion outdoors. But maybe the actors think the scripts suck as much as some of us do?

The former Showrunner decided to kill off Travis.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I had the same feeling about Cliff.  I could be totally wrong, but I just had a feeling that he wanted out ASAP -- or at least that there was much more to the story than what we heard.  It could have been because he just didn't like the writing and how his character was being handled.  It could be a money issue.  It could be that he clashed with someone behind the scenes.   Whatever it was, I think he wanted to leave as soon as he could get out of there,, and they probably wanted him gone.

On a related note -- just recently, on another show, on another network, a major character died (I don't really watch the show, but I am aware of what happened).  The viewers were/are in an uproar, lashing out at the network and at the actors on the show, demanding explanations, making accusations, etc.   They were not prepared to lose that character and they felt blindsided.    The actor whose character was killed off apparently chose to not renew his contract.   At least, that is how it is being portrayed in official interviews and statements -- that he wanted to leave to pursue other opportunities.   Something seemed kind of suspicious about that to me as well, and I was saying to someone that I have a feeling that there is more to the story of what went on behind the scenes.  Either the actor wanted to get out of there ASAP because he was unhappy, or he asked for things that the network couldn't give him and essentially forced them to get rid of him.   There could be all sorts of things that go on behind the scenes that lead to someone leaving a show.

Whatever the case, there is always more to the story when surprising things happen in the TV/film/music/entertainment business.  Whatever explanation the viewers and fans are given is always the best, most diplomatic, version of what actually happened, and I think there  are always details that are not revealed.

Edited by TVFan17
typo & clarification
  • Love 1

I was surprised to learn about Dillane's departure. I am not sure that I buy that he wanted off the show. Based on his strange arrest at CBS last year or so, he has an addiction or emotional problem. I find it more likely the show didn't want to deal with it so they decided to fire him.  

I also thought that Cliff Curtis wanted off FTWD, but then I saw him on TD after his character was killed. His tone and body language suggested that he was not happy to lose a steady gig.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

I only caught the last couple of minutes of this as I got curious enough to see if Dillane would be on the couch for a post mortem.  All the media I've seen seem to be toeing the line that he's the one who wanted out, and I'm realizing I don't really care enough to delve into the truth of that or not.  I'm mostly just aggravated that the two gigglepuss show writers on the couch are being all coy and cryptic about secret messages in title cards, etc.  They're finally moving in the right direction unloading a lot of the old cast to focus more on the new.  Do they not understand this kind of Lost style nonsense and misdirection is what's killing the mother show?  They just got through telling us the multiple timelines are going to be a thing for awhile.

Edit to add:  Thanks for the grammar correct, @WALNUTQUEEN.  Autocorrect, not you so much.

• Love 2