Type keyword(s) to search

Scrubs - General Discussion

Athena
  • Start Topic

Quotes, gimme!

Dr. Cox: I suppose I could riff a list of things that I care as little about as our last week. Let's see... low carb diets, Michael Moore, the Republican National Convention, Kabbalah & all Kabbalah-related products, Hi-Def TV, the Bush daughters, wireless hotspots, the OC, the UN, recycling, getting Punk'd, Danny Gans, the Latin Grammys, the real Grammys, Jeff that Wiggle that sleeps too darn much, the Yankees payroll, all the red states, all the blue states, every hybrid car, every talk show, everything on the planet, everything in the solar system, everything, everything, everything, everything, everything, every-everything that exists past present & future, in discovered and undiscovered dimensions!

[turns away, then turns back]

Dr. Cox: Oh, and Hugh Jackman.

J.D.: Hugh Jackman is Wolverine! How dare he!

• Love 1

Marathon on Comedy Central.  Finally, a channel devoted to comedy remembers what it is!

Who did Bill Lawrence piss off, that this has stopped showing up anywhere?  Of course, I ask that question every year.

• Love 4

Jordan: ...You try going from "out-of-control horny" to "clinically depressed", six times a day!

Cox: Gimme a break.  I can knock that out on my way to work!

-- a reminder of the sheer genius of those writers.

• Love 1

Although seasons 5-7 are bad, bad, bad, there was one of my all time favorite scenes (can't remember specifically which season, but I know it's one of those):

*Kelso leans to Jack*

"Hey, ya sport."

"Your skin is wrinkly."

"Yeah? Well that shirt you're wearing is gay."

*Leaves with a proud smirk*

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Dr. Cox "I love this moment so much I want to have sex with it." "Remember that moment from before? I'd cheat on it with this moment, marry it and raise a family of tiny little moments." "Who said who to what now?" "That's it! It's time for the First Annual Sacred Heart Who Caresies Awards. The nominees are Dame Judy Dorian for "I've Stopped Self Sabotaging Myself," Ghandi for "I've Got Candy In My Teeth," The Todd for "Look At My New Shirt."

3 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

And I completely forgot to watch it!

Honestly, the premise was pretty dumb. And Zach's character was WAY, WAY, WAY too close to JD, And not in a good way. And to top it off, they had Zach do a voiceover, because of course they did and again it was just like on Scrubs, except the writing wasn't as good.

Now, even though it may look that way I didn't watch the whole series, I saw the premiere, or rather I dipped in and out and after two episodes i was done.

Scrubs reunion panel at the Vulture Festival! The twitter video starts with a little over 16 minutes of dead air waiting for the panel to begin, so you can skip over all that.

• Love 1

It was nice to hear everyone talk about the times the show went too far with bending reality. That was one of my bigger complaints with the later seasons. I loved seasons 1-3, but as it wore on it became more about going for the silliest joke and less about telling interesting stories. The writers not finishing scripts until shooting was underway was also insightful as to why the show may have struggled to tell coherent stories later on.

I love how close the entire cast seemed to be. It really was unique and paid into the shows success. I just listened to the one with Sarah Chalke and she’s so funny. They all seem quite similar to who they played.

It’s sooo good. It actually enticed me into doing a rewatch of the series and I forgot how funny it was... although half the jokes wouldn’t pass now not to mention Elliott spends the first few seasons half naked. It was a great show though overall. The chemistry of the cast was up there with Friends and you can tell they all have such high respect for each other.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't really watch Scrubs while it was on, and watched it intermittently while it was in reruns, but always enjoyed it. I've started watching it again while listening to Fake Doctors, Real Friends, and have been loving it. 

One thing I thought I'd ask, though: I just finished S2, and am starting to watch S3. There is a huge bit of discontinuity between the end of S2E22 and S3E01, IMO. It seems very strange to go from Cox punching out Kelso to apparently everything being okay, Elliot dating Sean again (and having shorter hair), JD pining over Elliot (what happened to Jamie?). Was this something that was commented on at the time, or ever really addressed?

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 1

The opening episode they address Kelso being punched by Cox. It’s an episode plot point. In the same episode Elliot meets Sean again, gets a makeover and JD realised he likes her just as Sean arrives back on the scene. I think you must have missed the opening episode. They don’t explain Jamie though - she’s just gone although I imagine they just fizzled out.

Im on season five and there’s a noticeable shift in the overall feel of the show. I think that this is where it started to fall down a bit. Like most comedy shows in the later seasons the characters are nearly all charicatures at this point and a lot of the wacky stuff happens outside of JDs fantasy. 

On 6/5/2020 at 1:35 AM, Avabelle said:

The opening episode they address Kelso being punched by Cox. It’s an episode plot point. In the same episode Elliot meets Sean again, gets a makeover and JD realised he likes her just as Sean arrives back on the scene. I think you must have missed the opening episode.

You're right; I did miss it. I think I must have started watching, not finished, but moved on to the next episode or something. That gives much more context to things. Thanks!

(edited)

I had to resurrect this thread to say three things: I thought they addressed the blackface episodes well, as a controlling asshole I see my partner in Christa and Bill’s marriage and three the theme song fucking slaps!

also the Ken Jenkins  episode was adorable 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I had to resurrect this thread to say three things: I thought they addressed the blackface episodes well, as a controlling asshole I see my partner in Christa and Bill’s marriage and three the theme song fucking slaps!

also the Ken Jenkins  episode was adorable 

Ken sounded so old - his episode was great

I finished the rewatch a few weeks ago. Elliott was our favourite character right up until seasons 7 and 8 where she literally became the whiniest character ever. Literally every episode was her getting offended over something and then sulking for the episode. 

(edited)

I had an interesting experience a few weeks back. I always loved this show while it was airing, and the entire thing is free on Amazon Prime right now.

So I started a rewatch while I was doing other stuff for fun, made it through the beginning of season 3, and realized... I cannot stand J.D.

I hate him. I hate him so much. I hate hate hate hate JD. I am with Doctor Cox. I happily watch each episode wanting him to die various fiery deaths.

This is new for me. I remember while it was airing that sometimes J.D. bugged me -- he was always a little affected and in love with himself (he obviously found everything he did cute, hilarious and lovable, etc). But I still liked and cared about him -- most of the time,  although I did hate how he treated Elliot -- multiple times.

Well, this time, I just couldn't get past how genuinely awful J.D. is to people, pretty constantly. Especially to poor Elliot. Dumping her multiple times (and often pretty coldly) only to turn all dog-in-the-manger every single time she turns around and finds a new and happy relationship (and to then do everything he can to sabotage those happy relationships).

And even when he's not doing all that, he's just a terrible friend to her. Walking off and leaving her the night the U-Haul with all of her possessions was stolen -- so he could have a quick hookup. I'm still gobsmacked.

I'm used to shows not always aging well -- and it's often a good thing, a sign of how far we've come. But sheesh.

So -- I love SCRUBS. (I will always love "Guy Love.") But OMG, I hate J.D.

Edited by paramitch