Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Ragnarok

Making Abbie just there to help Crane along his way is so offensive to me that I can't even find words for it. It's actually painful. And then, they had her explicitly state that she had made peace with Danny, when she didn't even know he had been spying on her-- that's a delusional peace right there. And then Crane disappears into the limo, vowing to look for Abbie's replacement-- leaving Jenny to wonder what happened to him? I mean... was this supposed to be an exciting cliffhanger? Or a triumphant resolution? Or was it meant to be a tragic, heartbreaking punishment to both the characters and the viewers?

I was never a shipper, but I found it incredibly painful and false that they went from Nicole as lead and equal to helpmeet and expendable.

Even the return of Headless seemed weak. Was it even the same actor? He looked smaller. And having him as a weak puppet was not fun at all.

Pandora acting surprised when, as she was dying, she said "you loved her" is a retcon not even from the first season but from LAST WEEK. All along she has spoken of the love between Crane and Mills as an inspiration, which showed her how bad THO's lack of love was, by contrast. Paint her as jealous, or spiteful, or just plain evil and I could have bought it. But for her to seem surprised? C'mon! That's just weird.

I would love to know what the real story is about Beharie wanting to leave. Even if she truly did want out, and even if it actually was absolutely unrelated to anything that happened on the show, they could have written her out in a respectful way, not diminishing her character and not insulting viewers. I would have been sad to see her go but open-minded about a re-cast, if it was all above board. But it's hard to believe they really thought anyone would not find it squicky as hell to think "her spirit is in the body of one of her relatives"-- that's just creepy and weird.

And truly, it's hard to believe she wanted out for some good reason that doesn't make the show look bad. Anything is possible, but if that were the case, she would be giving interviews explaining so that fans didn't blame the producers (I have to go home and take care of my ailing mother, my health is making action scenes impossible, or some other excuse). Absent that, and combined with the disrespectful retcon of who Abbie was in the first place, it's just hard to adopt an attitude of there was nothing they could do, and it had to happen and it's no one's fault.

• Love 18

I am a Ichabbie shipper but it really didn't bother that much that it seemed like they might not get together. I usually ship unconventional couples so I am used to watching shows and knowing my ship won't happen. But if I hear (since I won't be watching any new seasons if they happen) that Crane gets together with the Abbie Eternal Soul, I will be pissed beyond belief. What an even bigger slap in the face.

Yes, that would be bullshit.  If Nicole isn't playing Abbie, then no one else needs to take on the character.

• Love 4

What bothers me the most is how they wrote her out.  Ok, so Nicole wanted to leave.  After season 2, who could blame her, really. So the writers have the un-fun and not-so-easy task of writing her out.  But if they knew about this all season, then they had time to really give her a real farewell. 

Instead, we get a quickie death for Abbie and the villains.  No real mourning from anyone because the show does a time jump and we already mourned Abbie once this season, so let's not do that again, even though it's "for reals" this time.  Quick goodbye with Corbin and a couple of dream sequences with Crane.  No goodbye to Jenny, it's not like she's someone important anyway, right?

And despite all the teasing, all the shipping, all the discussion over three seasons, there was no kiss, no embrace, no confession of love from Abbie or Ichabod.  Teasing right to the bitter end.  And that's it.  That's how you write out one of the leads?  Not just a regular, a lead

If Abbie really was dead, how about a flash-forward to the life she and Crane could have had together?  Or a glimpse of Abbie moving up in the FBI?  You know, her life? Instead, she sacrifices herself again but everything's cool, she's gonna show up as someone else!  No worries!  And would you look at that, there's another woman who just showed up with a screwed up past, and she's linked to the supernatural just like Abbie!  She's not Abbie, but at the same time, she totally is!

To hell with that.  They could have sent Abbie away to fight evil forces elsewhere or really killed her off instead of this soul switching nonsense.  Again, there's only one Abbie Mills.  It was Nicole's hard work and talent (and decent writing when she had it) that made Abbie work as a character.  You can't just body-swap her and expect viewers to go along with it like nothing really happened.  There's no more goodwill.  We've gone along with enough bullshit.

• Love 19

I think I'm ok now. I'm so glad that my anger burns bright and quick. I'm going to miss the show. I'm going to miss all the characters and I'm going to miss the actors. I'm going to miss this board.

More than anything I'm going to miss the magical chemistry between Tom and Nicole. It's going to be sad not to see it every week. I think what some people don't understand is if Ichabod had died tonight that the level of rage and upset would have been equal to this. They're a package deal. The show only works because of their partnership.

Its amazing to me how repeated poor decision making can derail such a promising show. All the ingredients were there for success and it ultimately amounted to nothing.

I'm hoping that the show is cancelled so that the actors can move on to hopefully better things.

• Love 11

I am sorry, but I never saw the chemistry or a romantic love between the two.  I also always found Nicole's acting a little flat.  Her tone, etc. just always seemed weary.  That's not to say I don't like her, or that I didn't enjoy the show in the beginning, but I think her portrayal always seemed out of place on the show.  Jenny was always a much better fit to me for a witness.  I am just disappointed that even though they were estranged for many years, the end did not show her saying goodbye to her sister. 

Maybe the witness is the new FBI girl. 

I apologize to the Icabod/Abbie supporters. I am sorry you did not get what you wanted.  Neither did I. I wanted the writing to get much better. 

Well, I disagree about her acting being flat.  I thought Nicole always did her best to deliver with some truly sub-par material in S2.  And there was always chemistry but, like you, I never saw it as truly romantic.

• Love 1

The most agonizing part was the Ichabbie quasi-puragtory scenes. There was so much there between them, the affection and tenderness, and the whole time to know that it was ending, it was really heartbreaking. It goes without saying how amazing Tom and Nicole are. Wishing them nothing but the best.

• Love 16

Reminds me of what they did on Ghost Whisperer (or as I called it, Boob Whisperer) when they killed JLH's husband on the show, then put his soul in another body that everyone else saw but the viewers saw the original as she did (yeah, it was a complicated ridiculous mess. I didn't really watch it, but Mr.Ark liked it -- primarily because of the nickname I gave it). Didn't work in that show, won't work in this one. Not that I plan to be around to see. As if the finale wasn't bad enough, the showrunner comments afterward have just been unforgivably insulting to the upset viewers.

• Love 5

Reminds me of what they did on Ghost Whisperer (or as I called it, Boob Whisperer) when they killed JLH's husband on the show, then put his soul in another body that everyone else saw but the viewers saw the original as she did (yeah, it was a complicated ridiculous mess. I didn't really watch it, but Mr.Ark liked it -- primarily because of the nickname I gave it). Didn't work in that show, won't work in this one. Not that I plan to be around to see. As if the finale wasn't bad enough, the showrunner comments afterward have just been unforgivably insulting to the upset viewers.

Boob Whisperer always had on a sundress. Everyone else would be bundled up and she'd be walking around in a sundress and maybe boots. 

• Love 3

What the hell? Excuse me, I mean, WHAT THE HELL????!!!!

Right up until the end I thought they were going to somehow get Abbie back. I thought, no, they won't do this to us. They won't. But they did. Remember when I said that if the writing team thought we wanted Danny and Abbie together, or Ichabod and Betsy together, they should get the Most Clueless Writing Team award? Well, this goes beyond that. Is there a word that means more than Most? Most Times Infinity Clueless Writing Team? Who thought that any viewer would be happy with this crap?

I love Tom Mison, and it grieves me to say that I can't watch the show anymore just for him. The show needs Abbie. It was about Abbie and Ichabod from the beginning, and whether or not they ever became romantic, they were a team that could not be split apart and have the show survive. That's just a fact.

I've seen other shows try to soldier on when it is clear to the viewers that a missing ingredient meant they just needed to close up shop. I'm thinking all the way back to Chico and the Man, when Freddie Prinze killed himself and the producers actually tried to continue the show by bringing in a younger kid whom the Jack Albertson character insisted on calling Chico. It was a mind-numbingly stupid move to even try to continue a comedy show with a fucking SUICIDE dropping a pall over the proceedings.

On a less morbid note, The X-Files tried to go on without David Duchovny. No, no, no. If the two main characters aren't Mulder and Scully, played by Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, just close the doors and go home.

And now this. There just isn't any way the show can continue without Nicole Beharie. I hope at this point that they just cancel it and that Tom Mison finds another project that will be worthy of his talent. I also hope to see Nicole again, in a movie or TV show that lets her shine. But a Sleepy Hollow without Nicole as Abbie Mills is a show I cannot watch.

ETA: I want to cry.

I agree with your entire post. I literally thought they'd find away to bring her back up until the last second of the show. I didn't think they'd be that stupid to actually kill Abbie off. I hate being wrong. Abbie and Crane were what made the show work. I say that as someone who was a shipper, but loved to watch them together platonically.

This has been such a hard week for me. Work was rough, school is stressing me out, and a beloved family passed away. I had such high hopes for the finale. It even started off great with Betsy being sent back to the 18th century. Now I'm on the verge of tears. What a freaking mess.

• Love 5

Yep, that story line killed Ghost Whisperer.  Even the writers knew it, they essentially tried to erase what happened, or at least that's what I saw from the five or so episodes that I saw from Season 5. I bailed after that.

A while back, Michael Ausiello posted a now rather infamous "blind item" about a main actress on a current show that was being a total diva and making life miserable for her co-workers (and, no, he ruled out CBS so he wasn't talking about Juliana Marguiles there).

At the time, I remember that there were some people in those comment section saying that they'd heard rumors and speculating that it was Nicole Beharie.  Now, I wish Ausiello would at least give us a hint about whether or not she was that "blind item."  Because the other times I can think of when a show has killed off or written out that major a character (Boardwalk Empire comes to mind; as does going back a ways NYPD Blue) was because that person had become seriously difficult and disruptive to the set.

Another possible clue that leads me to that possibility is how often the character of Abbie Mills was put in situations where she was away from the other cast members for long stretches (let's face it, she was constantly being exiled or trapped in other dimensions, etc.).  I know some sources are strongly hinting that Beharie wanted to leave the show, but because this was such a huge, show-altering decision, I'm also wondering if the feeling didn't also run the other way, and maybe they ultimately didn't have much of a choice.  I wish Ausiello would at least hint at confirming or denying if that particular blind item might be Beharie, because it's the one situation that would make tonight's decisions by the showrunners at least understandable and suggest there wasn't much else they could do.

• Love 2

Just going to add one more thing here, before heading off to bed.

Tonight, on this board, has felt like a group therapy session, where deep feelings of betrayal have been expressed and supported with all the "likes" that follow. I truly have appreciated all that you've all had to say, and now I feel like I can sleep.  So... thank you for being here to share the grief.

Nighty night.

• Love 18
(edited)

This is what I tweeted- episodic TV has disappointed me so much since the summer of 2015 and it looks like it won't let up, fuck you horrible showrunners

I've deleted all these shows from my season pass since September of last year due to horrible storytelling decisions.

Castle
Blindspot
Quantico
Madam Secretary
The Good Wife
Younger
Pretty Little Liars
Shameless
The 100
Sleepy Hollow
Empire
Scream Queens
Nashville
The Catch
Stitchers

American Horror Story

I've never done this before and that's telling.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 2
(edited)

Even if they get a S4, they'll be lucky if they get half of their viewers to come back.

And I will be so pissed if they actually promote it now... with the "new lead". Won't that be telling.

A while back, Michael Ausiello posted a now rather infamous "blind item" about a main actress on a current show that was being a total diva and making life miserable for her co-workers (and, no, he ruled out CBS so he wasn't talking about Juliana Marguiles there).

At the time, I remember that there were some people in those comment section saying that they'd heard rumors and speculating that it was Nicole Beharie.  Now, I wish Ausiello would at least give us a hint about whether or not she was that "blind item."  Because the other times I can think of when a show has killed off or written out that major a character (Boardwalk Empire comes to mind; as does going back a ways NYPD Blue) was because that person had become seriously difficult and disruptive to the set.

Another possible clue that leads me to that possibility is how often the character of Abbie Mills was put in situations where she was away from the other cast members for long stretches (let's face it, she was constantly being exiled or trapped in other dimensions, etc.).  I know some sources are strongly hinting that Beharie wanted to leave the show, but because this was such a huge, show-altering decision, I'm also wondering if the feeling didn't also run the other way, and maybe they ultimately didn't have much of a choice.  I wish Ausiello would at least hint at confirming or denying if that particular blind item might be Beharie, because it's the one situation that would make tonight's decisions by the showrunners at least understandable and suggest there wasn't much else they could do.

I seriously doubt this was NB - she's a massive introvert - no way she's being a diva onset. If she had been, we might not have gotten that mess of a S2. And thirdly - tonight is NOT the NIGHT for rumors attacking Nicole Beharie and besmirching her name. People are seriously hurting over this and there is NO proof of anything just rumors, when what we have stated from the show is that NB wanted to leave. TM and NB are very good friends, and NB doesn't have a history of being that way, so just no.

Especially given how FUCKED up this show has treated NB for most of its run, it's not Nicole who has been "difficult". Even throughout S2 when Katia Winter and Goffman were AFTER HER job and she could have easily outed that BS, she didn't. Thus it's highly unlikely that she was a diva on set. The DIVA onset in S2 was Katia, who couldn't keep her bitterness out of her mouth in interviews, where she either attacked Abbie fans or Ichabbie fans - and in some cases going after the fanbase on twitter in mean spirited posts.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 21

I don't know if that particular blind item referred to Beharie. I doubt we'll ever get an answer to that blind item.

The season 3 survey is up on Project Fox, for anyone who is a member there. I just took it. 

Some of the questions: Which characters are essential to your viewing? (Abbie, Ichabod, Jenny, Joe). What do you think of the storyline with Abbie moving out of the witness role? Are there any characters that you have changed your opinion of since the beginning of the season? If there is a season 4, will you watch it?

I can't imagine they'd get good feedback from that train wreck.

• Love 5

I agree with your entire post. I literally thought they'd find away to bring her back up until the last second of the show. I didn't think they'd be that stupid to actually kill Abbie off. I hate being wrong. Abbie and Crane were what made the show work. I say that as someone who was a shipper, but loved to watch them together platonically.

This has been such a hard week for me. Work was rough, school is stressing me out, and a beloved family passed away. I had such high hopes for the finale. It even started off great with Betsy being sent back to the 18th century. Now I'm on the verge of tears. What a freaking mess.

I'm sorry you're having such a lousy week.  I hope things get better for you.  :)

(hugs)

• Love 3
(edited)

This blind item?

They confirmed on TVLine that they were referring to Nicole, but I don't see anything about the actress being difficult.

ETA, Ok, it must be a different one, and I just don't believe it was Nicole.

Edited by Rina99
  • Love 1

According to this, Nicole was unhappy and had been trying to get off the show for a while. I don't blame her at all. They've treated her character like shit since S2. 

Has this been confirmed anywhere? The article only says what you said-that she was unhappy and wanted to leave. All of Nicole's communication to the press has been very classy and gracious: that she enjoyed the people she worked with and learned a lot from them, etc.

So glad Nicole is free, as am I. Bye bitches.

blixie, this is only time I've laughed during this entire finale fiasco. Thank you for that.

• Love 4

And this is the thing - was it her? Because if it was Beharie, then my sympathy goes south. Sorry, but diva behaviour I have no tolerance for.

(edited)

Of course it's SH and Nicole Beharie. Duh..

She wanted out of her contract and she got her wish...at least they gave her a lovely sendoff..

Ausiello's was confirmed by him about Beharie leaving the show.  The other blind is about a diva on set. These are being conflated with no validation.

Wanting out of  her contract is probably true, being a diva is probably NOT.  Either way..her exit was shitty given all that she gave to the role and gave to Fox in terms of goodwill about Sleepy Hollow

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 10

And this is the thing - was it her? Because if it was Beharie, then my sympathy goes south. Sorry, but diva behaviour I have no tolerance for.

As far as I remember, it was the lead actress in Blindspot or whatever the show with the tattooed woman is called.

• Love 5

I did like the use of 'Sympathy for the Devil'. It has bookended the show and been a recurring 'theme'.

Wasn't keen on the Washington ret-con of Ichabod Crane and some Supernatural division or something - an 18th century X Files, of sorts. The men in black at the cemetery seemed tacked on - or maybe it was just part of the plan that involved Reynolds.

Removing both Witnesses would have been a far better creative decision and not lead to the current venom expressed here. I will not comment on the death of 'Abbie' for a bit. Can the show go on with a new lead? Creatively, maybe, if done well. Historically, in terms of other shows, probably not. The show can work if it's reworked and Crane heads to Washington under another style of show.

• Love 3

I've thought that most of this season was mediocre at best, but I stuck with the show hoping that it would end up being worth it in the end. Well, jokes on me, I guess. I should have peaced out a long time ago, like most of the other viewers. I really feel stupid that I wasted so much time on this. The next time producers and rabid fans preach "patience" and other condescending crap like viewers aren't allowed to give up on something they no longer like, I'll point to this idiocy.

Oh well, I wish Tom and Nicole the best. They were great. (I do realize that Tom will still be around if this gets another season, but for me, the show wasn't about Crane or Abbie, it was about them together, so it's over in my eyes.)

• Love 8

I did like the use of 'Sympathy for the Devil'. It has bookended the show and been a recurring 'theme'.

Wasn't keen on the Washington ret-con of Ichabod Crane and some Supernatural division or something - an 18th century X Files, of sorts. The men in black at the cemetery seemed tacked on - or maybe it was just part of the plan that involved Reynolds.

Removing both Witnesses would have been a far better creative decision and not lead to the current venom expressed here. I will not comment on the death of 'Abbie' for a bit. Can the show go on with a new lead? Creatively, maybe, if done well. Historically, in terms of other shows, probably not. The show can work if it's reworked and Crane heads to Washington under another style of show.

If they renamed the show something other than Sleepy Hollow, changed the theme song and moved it to another city...probably.

(edited)

So..... Ichabod is going to Washington. I did understand that correctly, right?

So, if there is a season 4, they could very well be taking Sleepy Hollow out of Sleepy Hollow. Talk about sacrificing everything about your starting premise. Maybe, in what their feverish little minds have conjured up for next year, there won't even be supernatural forces of ancient evil, it'll be conspiracies conducted by the power-mad interspersed with murderous fraudulent fortune-tellers or some such shit.

On top of the obvious disappointment over Abbie, I really didn't see anything in that finale that left me intrigued with where the show will go next.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 4

If they renamed the show something other than Sleepy Hollow, changed the theme song and moved it to another city...probably.

It depends what Fox has in terms of prospective pilots. Shows like 'American Idol' are done and it really doesn't have a lot of hits.

The Ichabod Crane character is interesting and Mison makes him compelling. Lightning doesn't always strike twice and it would be a tough sell to reboot the show.... again, with a new female lead. Viewer bad blood does not help. A new vehicle, less Witness, more coherent storytelling with a plan and not a lot of deadweight like Katrina, and a man out of time may work for a limited series.

• Love 4
(edited)

Diva behaviour can mean a lot of things that have nothing to do with being a source of trouble or making demands, sometimes all it means is someone asked questions that someone else didn't want to hear or knocked over a tray of donuts and swore about it. (While in possession of a vagina.)

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 13

I'm kind of angry now that someone has come here to throw around "rumors" and point them at NB, especially since there is nothing to support those assertions.

It's bad enough that this show treated NB so poorly that she wanted out, but now folks want to "Angry Black Woman" her?

I highly doubt the diva blind item is about NB. Black women don't get to be "difficult" onset.

• Love 20

Are you sure? It's pretty much dead on....

NO IT is NOT! We haven't been linked to the Diva blind item. The ONLY one that has been confirmed is the one about the lead actress dying. What bobby whatever posted was something about ANOTHER blind item where an actress was being hell to her cast and crew.

WHERE is that DEAD ON? Where have we ever heard that Nicole Beharie is a bitch on wheels on set?

There were TWO blind items. One is clearly NB - because she was indeed killed off. The other is the diva one and that hasn't been attributed to anyone and since we have NEVER heard of NB being like this to ANYONE, it's horribly mean to sit here and attach that to her with no evidence. Especially since they are saying it's that lady from the NBC tattoo/fbi show.

• Love 15
(edited)

Is it? I've seen nothing to support it. If anything NB has been very quiet about any drama on set. She even did the pr thing to the very end despite some of the shittier things I've heard about how she was treated by showrunners.

Even if it is her. Does it really change anything? The show has been crap for a while now. It can't all be laid at Nicole's feet if it can at all.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 2

I'm kind of angry now that someone has come here to throw around "rumors" and point them at NB, especially since there is nothing to support those assertions.It's bad enough that this show treated NB so poorly that she wanted out, but now folks want to "Angry Black Woman" her?I highly doubt the diva blind item is about NB. Black women don't get to be "difficult" onset.

As I said in another thread, I think that diva business is a load of horse shit.

Before the finale, I wasn't ready to be without TM and NB on my TV screen, but I can let go now. I'm not knocking or disliking TM. I think TM is the sexiest male lead on TV right now, but Ichabod is not Ichabod without NB's Abbie. So, if anyone wants to watch an "iteration" of Ichabod sans Abbie, have at it. The thing is, don't blame NB because she wants better for herself. She was working before SH, so I'm sure she'll be able to find work again.

• Love 6

I love Crane and Abbie together. Whether as partners, witnesses, or romantic potentials. No matter what, the show (for me, for many of us) was all about the two of them and their relationship. To take one away permanently... there are no words.

I'm speechless.

Except to say: this is BULLSHIT.

• Love 13

Are you sure? It's pretty much dead on....

Actually, those of us on the Arrow boards are 99% sure it refers to Katie Cassidy (Laurel Lance), who's had a reputation for being difficult for a while now.

• Love 4

"And then she died" is not an appropriate conclusion to Abbie and Crane's partnership, show. Just so you know.

This show for me has been like that bad relationship I just can't let go of. Every time my phone rings I see the call display and know I shouldn't pick up, but do anyway because remember how good we were together in the beginning? It could be that way again, right?

I have more thoughts but cannot possibly read this deluge of comments in one sitting and don't want to repeat anyone. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a crack at it and instead comfort myself with the knowledge that the purpose of Betsy Ross was probably going to be as replacement Abbie if they had followed through on killing her mid season. I feel that at the very least, we were spared a great deal of Nikki Reed.

• Love 7

WHAT IN THE BLUEDILLY FUCK WAS THAT????!!!!

I hope you don't mind but I will be using this phrase in the future.

I think we should subtitle this episode thread with that phrase.

• Love 19

NO IT is NOT! We haven't been linked to the Diva blind item. The ONLY one that has been confirmed is the one about the lead actress dying. What bobby whatever posted was something about ANOTHER blind item where an actress was being hell to her cast and crew.

And again, the only blind item about a diva on set was about the actress in Blindspot. I don't even know if it was confirmed, but the clues led the fans of that show to conclude it was her.

• Love 1

Why in the flaming hell did they call the episode "Ragnorak"?!?!

The episode had nothing to do with the mythology they were referencing with that title.

Fuckers.

Unless it was referring to Abbie dying...:(

• Love 2