Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: Inugami

When the severed head of a young man is found under a bridge, Nick and Hank find themselves on the case of Japanese Wesen acting on an ancient tradition of revenge. Elsewhere, Adalind decides to go back to work at her old law firm and has her first face-to-face with Eve.

Welp, we all called it, the suddenly grown, talking perfectly well child."  And no voters do NOT want a family man.   At least not this hot mess of a family.   Geez.   I've decided they pressed the family man issue so hard so Black Claw can get its hooks (pun intended) into Renard to get him to run their agenda.

I did like how the WOW was pretty clear cut guilty.   The kids had been through the justice system already.   The family of the dead kid did not ask the watchdog to help them.   He chose to do it on his own.     

Oh wow a whole law firm of Wesen.   that explains so much about lawyers.   But honestly, Rosalee should have told Nick much sooner.   I can see her expecting Adalind to tell him first.   But since he didn't bring it up to Rosalee, who hears EVERYONE's damn issues, you would think she would have realized Adalind never told him.   It's been damn long enough.

Oh and the conversation about Eve turning into Renard and then the sex part was just squicky.   Plus shouldn't they have been more upset that Juliette used the magic hat again?   Because it worked out so well last time?   Or do these people never bloody learn from the past?  But then again, it would require Nick to act instead of just going "Yeah, my ex used the hat again to pretend to be my boss and my current live in baby mamma is a hexenbeist, what does everyone think we should do about Black Claw?   Oh another meeting about it?  Cool."   Seriously, Nick is middle management having meetings about having meetings instead of you know DOING anything.  

• Love 8

I turned Grimm on tonight because I was bored. Imagine my surprise to find that I actually enjoyed the episode.

Minimal Juliette/Eve which is the 2nd best use of the character/actress (best would be off the show entirely).

Kelly is the cutest little baby, I especially loved his face when they were at the lawfirm (better actor than BT, I lid, I kid...)

Loved seeing Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa again, I thought he stopped acting. I really enjoyed the Wesson of the Week storyline.

Not thrilled with Renard being trapped in his Political/Blackclaw storyline but, it looks like everything will be tied together pretty soon. I'm guessing Blackclaw is going to create a power couple/family with Renard/Adiland/Diana. Not sure what that means for Baby Kelly.

I don't love or hate Nick/Adiland but, I find BT's wooden acting such a turn off that I really don't want her back with Nick. Keeping her away from Nick limits her screentime which I find massively appealing.

• Love 3

I liked the Wesen of the week story this week. Lots better than last week's.

How nice for Adalind that she can bring Kelly to work with her at the Wesen law firm. I'm surprised they don't have a Wesen day care on site.

I laugh everytime Eve does a scene. Her powers are so awesome she never bothers to open a door like everyone else, no, she has to do it with her awesome hexenbeast mind.

How old is Diana suppose to be? Wasn't she born like three years ago? Now she looks about 8? Is that because she's a...whatever she's suppose to be?

Poor Rosalie and Monroe, how long are they going to be stuck in that tunnel? Rosalie needs to get to the spice shop and start working on something to help Wu. You know that will be coming up in an upcoming episode.

• Love 4

Of course Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa was the killer.  At least he was just simply lobbing off heads and not stealing everyone's souls and harvesting them in order to win Mortal Kombat ("Your soul is mine!!!")

Eve using her telekineses to open Nick's card door cracked me up.  Just feels like she is showing off.  I would almost like the character if she wasn't so boring.  Even that confrontation with Adalind lacked intensity.  I could care less if those two brawl again.

Wu is all kinds of fucked up.  The next full moon is going to be a very unpleasant experience for Team Grimm.

Diana is back!  I can't believe they are really going down the "Renard as a family man" method of campaigning.  I mean, are they a really going to try and bring Adalind back into the fold.  All it would take would be a reporter getting the dirt about her, Nick, and Kelly, and the campaign would be in disarray in days.  Do the writers not watch TV and see how crazy real-life politics can get?

Monroe and Rosalee's adventures in the tunnel was fun.  Glad Monroe got a text out to Nick, so they won't be stuck in their for the entire night.  And Rosalee's reaction to wondering how Eve slept with Rachel in Renard's body almost made me forget about how creepy that is.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

Renard has never been a family man. He's been police captain for years and no one cared. Interesting that a kid, and possibly a wife, would suddenly just happen. I do hope he is playing the Black Claw folks.

The voters do vote for the Mayor who has the wife and kids - at least here. A city councillor - that's up for debate.

I think Adalind would have a hard time bringing up that her biest has returned. Yes, it is up to her to tell Nick, but I do understand the fear. She has a nice, normal life now. Unfortunately, denial won't make it go away and she will go back to the new rotted face look. The law firm's daycare, if filled with Wesen, will make baby Kelly very happy. Fairytales come to life!

The WOW was interesting. There are a lot of needless shootings with kids playing with guns. Parents, it may be okay to have a gun (if you know how to use one and handle it properly and really have a need for one), but please do not load it and keep the bullets locked up separately. And don't have your kids have easy access to it. Do yourself a favour, and just call the cops.

The tunnels looked a bit dank. Hope they are well-ventilated. I was surprised to not see any rodents, insects, or reptiles.

Wu, please talk to Nick. Or Rosalee.

• Love 4

For a horrifying moment, when Rachel said that she will fix Renard not having a family, I thought that she would reveal that she was pregnant by Juliette.

So...is Diana's aging common in Hexenbiests?  Is Adalind really thirteen (cause that would explain a lot)?  Did Renard age as quickly, or did he age normally because he's half-human?  Or is this just an example of SORAS?

• Love 3

So,,next week Wu gets abducted by the WoW? What do you bet that he turns into a werewolf and takes care of the WoW himself.

And no "magic stick" again tonight? I guess they had to focus on the tunnel story. I swear, these writers can't keep,their focus on just one story can they? Maybe "magic stick" will pop up again before the end of the season?

I am SO OVER the night time fight scenes. Not only is it too dark during most of these fights, but this fight was edited so poorly I couldn't keep up. And when I say "poorly" , I mean BAD- seizure-enducing bad!

Baby Kelly is adorable. And apparently not afraid of Hexen faces. What type of Wesen was Adalind's boss? It was nice they revisited that part of season 1. I remember when the 2 Hexen lawyers were murdered, I was thinking that the boss MUsT be in on the Wesen thing. Now, if we could just get some Mellifers....that would be great!

Edited by neuromom
  • Love 2

Wanted to drop by and say that I was mostly happily surprised.

Then again, I've kinda crushed on Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa since the 80s, so I loved and hated that he was, to me, the obvious culprit. I didn't expect the lawyer tie, but I liked that too. When the dead boy's father tried to release him from his duties, I was a bit teary.  I thought they were kitsune, but since CHT was a "ghost dog", the family he served may or may not have been.  (Loved their eyes and fur.)

Monroe and Rosalee's Dank Tunnel Adventure was a little fun. At least they got to hear the two 'biests talk.

Kelly is an adorable kiddo and he seems to really enjoy his scene partners.

Maybe that isn't really Diana, even with the violet glowing eyes. If Renard's mom hasn't found her after all this time, how could the BC chick?

Poor Wu; he really does need to talk to Nick or Rosalee. On the upside, his rugs are safer than the last brush with weirdness. Leaves and dirt are cleanable.

Hey, Voorhies mom? When storing an antique-but-working-firearm? Ensure that there are no bullets around either in the gun already or near the weapon to be loaded, unless you need to do so. It was definitely negligent, but more on Mrs. V's part than even the boys, imo.

Seeing the partner who welcomed Adalind back to the firm answered some S1 questions I had about them. They were at least partially staffed with Wesen, so the beefolk were right, in their way, to target the firm, at least.

I tuned in because the write-up sounded sort of interesting. Glad that I saw it, but I'm tired of rewarding bad writing and plotting. I've missed the characters, just not the stuff that has been hashed over ad nauseam.

• Love 4

Hey, Voorhies mom? When storing an antique-but-working-firearm? Ensure that there are no bullets around either in the gun already or near the weapon to be loaded, unless you need to do so. It was definitely negligent, but more on Mrs. V's part than even the boys, imo.

Plus, she shouldn't have a gun as a weapon.  She should have had a hockey mask and a machete.

• Love 6

I knew Diana would be back, but I was hoping I was wrong. How do we even know it's really her & not some girl Black Claw came up with to get Renard on their side? I'm sure she's going to be all powerful too, yuck, not looking forward to this.

• Love 1

And no "magic stick" again tonight? I guess they had to focus on the tunnel story. I swear, these writers can't keep,their focus on just one story can they? Maybe "magic stick" will pop up again before the end of the season?

You blinked and missed it. Nick looked at the magic stick then wrapped it up in the shroud of turin and then he put it in the metal case and shoved it into missing brick in the wall of the tunnel. The next part was him telling Monroe where he put it. It might show up next episode since Wu is a werewolf.

I can't say I know a lot about Portland but I'm pretty sure Keep Portland Weird is a thing. Honestly, a bastard who sired a bastard would probably sit better than a family man who is a bastard that sired a bastard with a woman he recently married who has another bastard with his subordinante.

I'm glad Ros told Nick the truth about Adalind. I find it hard that she's now BFFs with someone who screwed over her actual friend and stole her man.

Eve continues to suck. I hope Meisner and Trubel get back soon.

• Love 1

Did I really watch an exchange wherein they had Nick explain why Juliette had to have sex with Rachel in the guise of Renard? Hey show, instead of trying to have the characters whitewash your horrifically ill-conceived (no pun intended) sexual and relationship dynamics through repeated incidents and subsequently downplaying them, why not just please cease creating horrible consent and agency scenarios?  K, thanx. 

I knew Diana would be back, but I was hoping I was wrong. How do we even know it's really her & not some girl Black Claw came up with to get Renard on their side? I'm sure she's going to be all powerful too, yuck, not looking forward to this.

I'm assuming that was the purpose of showing us her purple glowy eyes.  We've only ever seen that from Diana and the show framed it as unique.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 11

I don't watch Game of Thrones or other genre stuff, so maybe I'm just more easily horrified, but beheading a teenage boy?  On 8 pm network tv?  Basically no one bats at eye, not Nick, not Hank and of course Wu has to wisecrack.  That was all nasty.  My son was an 18 y.o. gamer not that long ago, just nope.  Besides, this one is going to hit the news and people are very freaked out about beheadings.  Why even go there.

Nick finding out Adalind is re-hexening, and he's like, whatever.  His great plan is to pretend he doesn't know.  What about your kid, Nick? 

Meisner, you let me down.  You said Diana was in good hands. 

Monroe and Rosalee have cell phone service in the tunnel.  That's handy. 

• Love 5

I'm usually fine with the amount of creepiness/suspense on this show, but for some reason seeing Rosalee and Monroe explore the tunnel totally freaked me out (despite the fact that I've been wanting Nick to do this since he moved into the warehouse). And that was before they found the skeleton! I can't lie - I feel cheated that we didn't get to see the Three's Company-esque scene where Nick distracted Adalind so Monroe and Rosalee could sneak out of the tunnel without Mr. Roper noticing.

Eve opening Nick's car door and the elevator doors at the warehouse seemed like gratuitous magic. It reminded me of when Ron told Harry and Hermione that after Fred and George got permission to apparate, they did it constantly just to show off. Eve telling Adalind that she better not hurt Nick reminded me of when Ross told Chandler that if he ever hurt Monica, he would kick his ass.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Diana is back!  I can't believe they are really going down the "Renard as a family man" method of campaigning.  I mean, are they a really going to try and bring Adalind back into the fold.  All it would take would be a reporter getting the dirt about her, Nick, and Kelly, and the campaign would be in disarray in days.  Do the writers not watch TV and see how crazy real-life politics can get?

This. How in today's world will they explain an 8 year old daughter - even with trumped up documents - or where Renard's been her whole life? It wouldn't even lift off, much less fly, in today's political environment. 

I still think Renard's running a game on them, and getting his daughter back while he's doing it. Now that he's got her, I'm hoping things will shift. 

I can't say I know a lot about Portland but I'm pretty sure Keep Portland Weird is a thing. Honestly, a bastard who sired a bastard would probably sit better than a family man who is a bastard that sired a bastard with a woman he recently married who has another bastard with his subordinate.

Keep Portland Weird is indeed a thing. Loved your description of the family vs married with family situation. Don't think I've ever read "bastard" that many times in a single sentence. But it makes the point.

Loved Rosalie and Monroe in the tunnels, but it always annoys me when characters up lanterns while going through dark, unfamiliar places. Just go to the home improvement store and get those lights you can attach on your head (or hang around your neck). Then your hands are freed up to meet unexpected challenges.

Eve and her laziness/showiness is eye roll worthy. I'm a little confused. If she's supposedly NOT Juliette, and doesn't have J's emotions - why (after saying specifically that she wasn't Juliette or they'd have a hexie showdown) did she tell Adalind that if she hurt Nick, she'd come after her? Decide what you want her to be writers!

I loved seeing Keiko Agena, but was a little confused about how the sequence played out. It was the wife's family the inugami owed allegiance to - so how is it the husband decided he was the one who could order the inugami to stop? And no one questioned that - the entire sequence afterwards was based on that assumption. So he's in charge by what means? Proxy, transference? Man parts? The sequence would have been far more interesting if the wife played it - beat for beat.

Nick's grimsplaining the sex was annoying - by which I mean I was annoyed by the writers trying to reframe their choices.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3

Not thrilled with Renard being trapped in his Political/Blackclaw storyline but, it looks like everything will be tied together pretty soon.

What makes you think that? They keep lapsing back into these WoW stories with dribs and drabs of Black Claw thrown in, so it's not really much different than four years of Royals, Verrat, the Resistance, etc. 

That being the case, it's hard to tell if the writing actually means anything, but I thought it was interesting that "Eve" threatened Adalind if she ever hurts Nick. Was that meant to be a sign that Juliette is still within her somewhere, or is maybe even emerging from her suppression or brainwashing? 

Adalind slept with Nick while disguised as Juliette, using the same spell Juliette used to change into Renard. And it took away Nick's Grimm powers. So shouldn't something happen to the campaign lady? Or maybe not since they didn't seem to actually do the act? But turning into Adalind is what made Juliette turn into a Hexenbiest, so shouldn't turning into Renard do something to her as well? I can't figure out if they're going to eventually "cure" Juliette of this Eve affliction or if this is just their idea of a fix for the character.

Honestly I have no faith in this show's ability to tell a long-term story anymore.

• Love 1

I loved seeing Keiko Agena, but was a little confused about how the sequence played out. It was the wife's family the inugami owed allegiance to - so how is it the husband decided he was the one who could order the inugami to stop? And no one questioned that - the entire sequence afterwards was based on that assumption. So he's in charge by what means? Proxy, transference? Man parts? The sequence would have been far more interesting if the wife played it - beat for beat.

Also the second kid would have been history if the husband hadn't gotten there about 2 full minutes before Hank and Nick.  But if they'd gotten there first a gun would have taken care of the inugami.  Not as dramatic.  I was kind of gagging over the talk of "honor".  I never understand how in those traditions any honor comes into play toward a victim by killing someone else.  How about honoring someone by not killing?  It's not honor, it's just revenge.  I know the opening quote was something about revenge vs. vengeance but I don't remember it. 

• Love 3

I don't watch Game of Thrones or other genre stuff, so maybe I'm just more easily horrified, but beheading a teenage boy?  On 8 pm network tv?  Basically no one bats at eye, not Nick, not Hank and of course Wu has to wisecrack.  That was all nasty.  My son was an 18 y.o. gamer not that long ago, just nope.  Besides, this one is going to hit the news and people are very freaked out about beheadings.  Why even go there.

Yes! That totally creeped me out, because I have a teenager also. Ironically, he gave up on Grimm two weeks ago. He went to his room to watch Netflix and told me "call me out if they show the magic stick" because that's the only thing he cares about right now. So, he stayed in his room ..(because I missed the quick shot of Nick with the stick. I can't see a damn thing on my tv when they film in the dark. Unless I turn off all my lights and sit in the right spot in the living room)

Oh, and I missed the first 5 mins , but I saw the part where Nick explained the Eve sex stuff with Monroe and Rosalee. Did Eve actually tell him all this during the first segment? Because if she did, I'm glad I missed it. One time through that story is one time too many.

• Love 1

okay - clearly someone will get locked in the tunnel.

They haven't gotten there yet, but a previous episode had a line where they pondered if Meisner knew where Diana is, and now Rachel found her. That means we can deduce that either another member of the resistance became a traitor and gave her away, or black claw is beating the resistance, or maybe Meisner is a true mercenary who is the traitor (although they would have to contradict a lot of previous material in the show to send the plot this way).  They haven't put enough hints out yet. Or maybe, because Meisner and Trubel have been gone for a few episodes, maybe it will turn out they lost a conflict at some other location and then black claw found Diana that way.

I think they must just be hiding murders from the news lately.

Also - I liked the idea that a dog wesen can be attached to a family. In a future episode, they should do a plot where they explain why and how Jaegerhund german shepherd people become the loyal guards or minions of the royalty- because I've always wondered why they are so willing to do their bidding and risk their lives

Edited by ottilie
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the WOW storyline and the history behind it. Felt bad that the first kid got killed but I did like how the true story played out, it really was an accident.  The lawyer felt honor bound to avenge the family.  Also liked the look of those wesen.

"Juliette" is in Eve somewhere, if she was truly emotionless then she wouldn't care one way if Adalind hurts Nick in the long run.

Btw I am saying it right now, I think Kelly is a Grimm, I think when Adalind woged she saw it..otherwise why would they make a point to focus on the baby's face when they both changed.  I think it's manifesting early because he has a wesen for a mother.  That's just my speculation. Have to say baby Kelly is adorable, loved the smile. However this baby seemed older that the baby who was playing with Nick two episodes ago, I assume Kelly is around 6 months by now but the baby in the "Can you say mama/dada/grimm?" scene looked younger?  Not that I am good judge of baby and their ages.. Also Adalind's hexen face didn't seem as rotted...or should I say doesn't have a lot of gaping holes.

Loved Rosalee's " I gotta pee" because I was totally wondering about that when they were down there.

Sooo...Evenard did sleep with Rachel because I was under the assumption they didn't do the deed?....on that note I guess they answered how Renard won't find out about the awkward encounter since Rachel is all like "It didn't happen"..  Also the family man Renard, what does that mean for baby Kelly? How are they going to spin that one or is Kelly an inconvenience that Black Claw will handle?

So Nick is all  "I don't know what I'm gonna do when Adalind is a hexenbiest again" to "Oh, she's a hexenbiest again, okay no biggie will just wait till she tells me".  You also saw that he was expecting her to tell him when she said she forgot to mention something.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 1

So, what happen Trubul (or however it is spelled)?  

I thought these were kinda cute and cuddly this week - 

I have no idea what Wu is going to turn into - do others?  I may have missed something....

That baby really is a good actor. I imagine they get those perfect reaction shots by just zooming in on the kid while Mom waves a favorite toy or makes faces, filming the reactions, and then editing the appropriate ones into the scenes, but that's still a lot of expression. He also interacts well with the adults. In that scene last week when he was sitting on Nick's chest, he was actually acting like this was an adult he liked and trusted rather than some actor he was stuck with.

Perhaps Eve is being kind to Renard by not telling everyone about his bedroom failure. I guess by "slept with" she could mean that they were in bed together even if the deed itself didn't come to fruition.

• Love 2

What makes you think that? They keep lapsing back into these WoW stories with dribs and drabs of Black Claw thrown in, so it's not really much different than four years of Royals, Verrat, the Resistance, etc.

By tied together i meant that the they were hinting about getting Renard a political family and Eve warned Adiland about BlackClaw approaching her. With the return of Diana it seemed obvious that BlackClaw was going to get Adiland to join Renard/Diana in the happy political family.

By tying Renard and Adiland into the same story and it should then tie Nick into the Renard political story. Eventually everything SHOULD tie together by the end of the season. Not saying it will but, the pieces all seem to be in place for a successful conclusion.

Minimal Juliette/Eve which is the 2nd best use of the character/actress (best would be off the show entirely).

I wasn't planning on watching this episode until I saw your post.  It was refreshing to have minimal Juliette and her robotic badassery. 

Re: Nick.

Nick can't figure out who the bad guy is, so he goes All Grimm on the wesen couple.  He's such an ass.  And a terrible cop.

If a Grimm cop started harassing me, I would tell him to pound sand.  He needs to get off his lazy ass and be a cop first.  If he can't figure out how to do his job, too bad.  He doesn't get to gather evidence, to solve a case, or to call himself the good guy by threatening people, who were innocent. 

If there are wesen law firms and wesen doctors, I bet that there are wesen courts.  There's also the Wesen Council. 

He's also an ass for not trusting Adalind but still playing house.  End it already, you asshole.  The longer that Nick plays house with her, the less I see him as a victim.  Every day that he comes back to that depressing compound, it's his choice.  Idiot. 

I think Adalind would have a hard time bringing up that her biest has returned. Yes, it is up to her to tell Nick, but I do understand the fear. She has a nice, normal life now. Unfortunately, denial won't make it go away and she will go back to the new rotted face look. The law firm's daycare, if filled with Wesen, will make baby Kelly very happy. Fairytales come to life!

Eve and her laziness/showiness is eye roll worthy. I'm a little confused. If she's supposedly NOT Juliette, and doesn't have J's emotions - why (after saying specifically that she wasn't Juliette or they'd have a hexie showdown) did she tell Adalind that if she hurt Nick, she'd come after her? Decide what you want her to be writers!

Eve isn't Juliette, but she looks like Juliette and still has her memories buried somewhere.  It's quite convenient. 

Does Juliette get a pass for huffing on the sorting hat, having sex as Renard, and taking advantage of her biest powers?  Does she get a pass for being scared of telling Nick that she has transformed into a hexenbiest?  The same stuff that Adalind did for which she didn't get a pass. 

Or is it because the writers continue to showcase Juliette/Eve as some victim?  Even though she was the one who threatened Adalind.  Even though she's the alpha female of the show.  Adalind's the incompetent biest who has to cower to the badass alpha biest.

If this show ends with Juliette and Nick as end game, does she get a pass for playing house with the murder victim's son?  Adalind's not getting that pass, and she doesn't deserve it.

Victim or badass robot.  Choose what the special snowflake is. 

Re: Renard.  The organization is playing him, and whoever that woman he's banging is honeypotting him.  Unless he starts shirtless raging, his storyline is boring. 

The writers still don't know what to do with the magic stick.  They're insulting the audience if they think that merely revealing the long awaited Magic Stick can satisfy the audience.  This sad show has been renewed, so they think that they have another 100 episodes to figure out what to do with it.

ETA:

Perhaps Eve is being kind to Renard by not telling everyone about his bedroom failure. I guess by "slept with" she could mean that they were in bed together even if the deed itself didn't come to fruition.

I thought that it could still have been 3rd base, which is still sex.  Or that Renard/Eve did stuff, but whoever the Black Claw person is couldn't reciprocate for Renard/Eve.  Still sex. 

I'm not giving Eve a pass for "slept with."  People know it means sex.  Eve didn't hold hands with Black Claw lady and act chaste.

Same scenario that Adalind did.  No fucking way that Eve/Juliette gets some pass while Adalind gets raked over the coals for it.

Edited by spaulding
  • Love 2

"Every day that he comes back to that depressing compound, it's his choice.  Idiot."

If Adalind and Diana and Even each have the power of telekinesis, they could be the ones to lock him in the tunnel. But if course he will have the wand there to fight back with?

Did Rachel actually say that she thought Renard should propose marriage after a couple weeks of knowing him?

Edited by ottilie
If Adalind and Diana and Even each have the power of telekinesis, they could be the ones to lock him in the tunnel. But if course he will have the wand there to fight back with?

Let Nick stay trapped in the tunnel while he tries to figure out what the stick can do.

Did Rachel actually say that she thought Renard should propose marriage after a couple weeks of knowing him?

I thought that she was hinting hard for a proposal.  And Renard is trying to fall asleep.  Ha!  I thought that it was typical behavior for a man who didn't want to be trapped.

She brought out Diana as bait.  She's trying hard to be Mrs. Shirtless Rage and First Lady Consort of Fake Portland.

Renard is very nice to look at, but I'm quite sad that he's as dumb as a box of hair.

Edited by spaulding

Wait, the proposal hint was for herself?! I'm confused. I knew Rachel wanted Renard to be the happy family man but I thought she'd want him with Adalind, the mother of his child. Which also confused me, because what would make them think Adalind would want anything to do with that? But it didn't occur to me that Renard would marry *her*, the campaign manager he just met. I really didn't know what in the world she is thinking. (Or, more accurately, what the *writers* are thinking. Or not thinking, as the case may be.)

• Love 1

ETA:

I thought that it could still have been 3rd base, which is still sex.  Or that Renard/Eve did stuff, but whoever the Black Claw person is couldn't reciprocate for Renard/Eve.  Still sex. 

I'm not giving Eve a pass for "slept with."  People know it means sex.  Eve didn't hold hands with Black Claw lady and act chaste.

Same scenario that Adalind did.  No fucking way that Eve/Juliette gets some pass while Adalind gets raked over the coals for it.

The one difference between Adalind's situation and Eve's situation is that Adalind did her thing in order to rape Nick--there was no question that was her intent.  Eve didn't know that the evening was going to go down that way.  I'm not giving her a pass--there is this word that any man or woman should be empowered enough to say and that is "No."  And, not that I'm advocating force, but Renard (er, Evenard) is bigger than Rachel and could have disentangled himself/herself/whatever.  So, yeah...the latter case was bad...but it was different than what Adalind did.  And, therefore, different coals should be used for the raking.

For example...has Juliette (yes, Juliette!) actually been brainwashed to the point or lost any sense of self to the point where not only is willing to steal someone's identity but also basically prostitute herself?  Had she known ahead of time that Rachel and Renard had a physical relationship and therefore known what could or would happen, would she have been able to perform (and, yeah, THAT would have been flat out rape)?  If she is willing to at least try to sleep with Rachel for information, who else would she sleep with and what else would she do?

But, most of all, I find this whole thing--the way this show has handle sexuality and relationships--to be offensive and nauseating.  And I'm afraid of what they are going to try next.

• Love 1

Wait what, Rachel is saying Renard needs to be a family man so he should marry her?   And they trot out an 8 year old looking child from somewhere that no one has ever seen with either of them before as "their" daughter?    What experience does this woman have as a campaign manager because that is the most outlandish idea I've ever heard.   If I were a resident of Portland I would vote for the other guy just because Renard and co. had insulted my intelligence so badly.

• Love 2

Wait what, Rachel is saying Renard needs to be a family man so he should marry her?   And they trot out an 8 year old looking child from somewhere that no one has ever seen with either of them before as "their" daughter?    What experience does this woman have as a campaign manager because that is the most outlandish idea I've ever heard.   If I were a resident of Portland I would vote for the other guy just because Renard and co. had insulted my intelligence so badly.

Based on some of the recent mayors of Portland, I'm guessing you aren't from around here.... 

Still, from what I've read about this whole story line, there are so many floating threads and pieces that I don't know how they are ever going to tie everything together.

My first thought when seeing the girl was that she wasn't Diana.  Not because of the age thing, but just because I don't trust Rachel.  But then the girl's eyes glowed, so I guess it's her.  I suppose she could be some other kind of wesen, though.

• Love 1

Rachel wasn't suggesting Renard marry her, she meant Adalind. Remember in a prior episode she brought up Diana and mentioned that Adalind is the mother. That's why she told Renard he will have a family, she had Diana and now she needs to get Adalind. Eve essentially told Adalind that black claw will come for her and that she has a child which makes her vulnerable. My take home was that somehow black claw will use Diana or Kelly (not sure which) to make Adalind marry Renard.

Actually what did surprise me was Diana being all happy "Daddy".. when she barely knows him.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 2

I turned Grimm on tonight because I was bored. Imagine my surprise to find that I actually enjoyed the episode.

I liked the Wesen of the week story this week. Lots better than last week's.

I decided to watch based on these two posts.

Living in the Chicago area, I couldn't help but think the COW was inspired by our particular brand of violence. Teens/kids with weapons at home. Revenge and blame. Traditions/gang culture. Wasn't there mention of actual Chicago too?

Could've used more cute Monroesalee banter.

• Love 2
Meisner, you let me down.  You said Diana was in good hands.

I fear those hands are now cold and dead.

This "family man" business is perplexing me. When Rachel first brought it up a few episodes back, I assumed that she was just using it as a pretense to dangle the prospect of reuniting with Diana over Renard's head. Surely, I reasoned, no political strategist could consider the hot mess that is Renard's family life to be a political advantage. But now they seem to be going with it. Maybe Rachel is just really bad at her job.

• Love 1

better actor than BT, I lid, I kid...

I think you're seriously right.

It was the wife's family the inugami owed allegiance to.  The sequence would have been far more interesting if the wife played it - beat for beat.

I caught that too.  Having the wife go would have been much better.

There's also the Wesen Council.

Not any more...

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1
"Wait what, Rachel is saying Renard needs to be a family man so he should marry her?"

"Rachel wasn't suggesting Renard marry her, she meant Adalind."

Sorry for the confusion.  I didn't preface the post and wasn't clear.  I don't think that Black Claw lady wants to marry Renard.  She likes the behind-the-scenes power.  I was amused that she was doing everything that a female would stereotypically do to get a proposal, e.g., bait him with a kid.

There's also the Wesen Council.

Not any more...

Thanks for letting me know.  I guess I'll have to hate-watch the episodes I didn't watch to continue to comment. 

ETA:

The one difference between Adalind's situation and Eve's situation is that Adalind did her thing in order to rape Nick--there was no question that was her intent.  Eve didn't know that the evening was going to go down that way.  I'm not giving her a pass--there is this word that any man or woman should be empowered enough to say and that is "No."  And, not that I'm advocating force, but Renard (er, Evenard) is bigger than Rachel and could have disentangled himself/herself/whatever.  So, yeah...the latter case was bad...but it was different than what Adalind did.  And, therefore, different coals should be used for the raking.

For example...has Juliette (yes, Juliette!) actually been brainwashed to the point or lost any sense of self to the point where not only is willing to steal someone's identity but also basically prostitute herself?  Had she known ahead of time that Rachel and Renard had a physical relationship and therefore known what could or would happen, would she have been able to perform (and, yeah, THAT would have been flat out rape)?  If she is willing to at least try to sleep with Rachel for information, who else would she sleep with and what else would she do?

But, most of all, I find this whole thing--the way this show has handle sexuality and relationships--to be offensive and nauseating.  And I'm afraid of what they are going to try next.

Reply in Juliette thread.

Edited by spaulding

Living in the Chicago area, I couldn't help but think the COW was inspired by our particular brand of violence. Teens/kids with weapons at home. Revenge and blame. Traditions/gang culture. Wasn't there mention of actual Chicago too?

On the outside chance that anyone was interested, here are the relevant lines:

I went upstairs and got my dad's gun.

It was his grandfather's when he was a policeman in Chicago.

I kept it under my bed.

After my husband died, I don't know.

Never even used it.

I'm here alone with my son.

I should have got rid of that damn thing.

I don't I don't know why I kept it.

Juliette not Eve raped Rachel, period.  Rape IS, rape.  I don't care that not dead Juliette did NOT intend on having sex with an aggressive Rachel, once she learned that the woman was having sex with real Renard.  If not dead Juliette had simply shrugged off her spell as second Renard and said,"My name is Eve" and I am pretending to be Renard it is a different ball game, because Rachel has all of the information on who she is in bed with and that did NOT happen based on not dead Juliette's comments to Nick.

My sexy pants Renard needs to keep it in his pants and stop acting like a box of dead hair.

My fondest wish is that Diana is really Frau Pech as another poster mentioned in a previous thread and does everything she can to foil Adalind getting her hooks back into Renard.

Nick is idiot.  When the shows hero has to be dumbed down or turned into an idiot in order to sell the other characters (nod dead Juliette, etc) there is a huge problem.  

Adalind already told Nick when he returned from Germany what happens whens she gets her powers back and he just shrugged it off.  Come on, Nick!  Why not simply telling Adalind that he learned from not dead Juliette Eve relationship that they both need to be honest and since they share a kid it's okay!  Why all of the drama since Kelly is half Grimm and half biest?

I think every character on the show has to wear the "stupid" hat and now it is Wu's turn!

Hank is still the bomb!

I did LOL after having sex Rachel is back to trying to run Renard's political life and he's rolling his eyes and trying to sleep.

Way back in s2, Nick told Renard at the PH that folks are going to notice if he suddenly had a family and two years later the Captain is still wearing his dunce hat!

Edited by Darklazr

For example...has Juliette (yes, Juliette!) actually been brainwashed to the point or lost any sense of self to the point where not only is willing to steal someone's identity but also basically prostitute herself?  Had she known ahead of time that Rachel and Renard had a physical relationship and therefore known what could or would happen, would she have been able to perform (and, yeah, THAT would have been flat out rape)?  If she is willing to at least try to sleep with Rachel for information, who else would she sleep with and what else would she do?

Yes, I think the answers are yes she will do anything.  The ends justify the means. Trickster tactics nullify consent.  Like I've said before, the writers think this is naughty.  Not criminal.  It is very messed up. 

He's also an ass for not trusting Adalind but still playing house.  End it already, you asshole.  The longer that Nick plays house with her, the less I see him as a victim.  Every day that he comes back to that depressing compound, it's his choice.  Idiot.

Absolutely, he finds out she's re-hexening, hasn't told him and he's going to just go with the flow.  He was stupid from the beginning --not getting a paternity test, drifting into a relationshiip with her -- and now he's also fine with her taking the baby out of the fortress and into the law firm daily.  He just appears weak and stupid.

• Love 1

I loved seeing Keiko Agena, but was a little confused about how the sequence played out. It was the wife's family the inugami owed allegiance to - so how is it the husband decided he was the one who could order the inugami to stop? And no one questioned that - the entire sequence afterwards was based on that assumption. So he's in charge by what means? Proxy, transference?

Marriage, I assume. I don't think they meant to imply he was "in charge", just that he counts as part of her family. Would've been more interesting if she went but I don't think it was illogical that either of them could've asked him to stop.

My first thought when seeing the girl was that she wasn't Diana.  Not because of the age thing, but just because I don't trust Rachel.  But then the girl's eyes glowed, so I guess it's her.  I suppose she could be some other kind of wesen, though.

That was my impulse too when I saw her, and then when they did the eye glow I took the purpose of the eye thing as the writers being all "we know what you're thinking, but it's her". Not that there can't be some other purple eye glow wesen, but so far it's been a heeeeeeeere's Diana thing as far as I recall.

I LOATHED this episode. I am continuously appalled by how they just don't seem to get that what they're writing is rape. But even if I accept and ignore that because it's clearly not going to change, we got the clunkiest most exposition heavy scenes out of it. Juliette tells Nick, who has bizarrely zero reaction when realistically (even if he were trying to play close to the vest) should've had some reaction to hearing that the action Adalind did that destroyed their relationship, she now does loosy goosey because it's convenient for espionage. He didn't even blink.

Then we get ANOTHER scene expositing the SAME DAMN THING from Nick to Rosalee and Monroe. They react cartoonishly but hey at least it's a reaction and the actors were given shit to work with right there.

If not the establish some nice of nuance of the reactions, why do we sit through characters tellings us about something happening that we also already saw? Show, not tell, bitches. The audience saw already and doesn't need to be told, and sure the other characters wouldn't believe the intel if they didn't know a plausible reason for how she got it, and sure the robot thing means it makes sense she wouldn't try to lie. But they're having everyone repeat the same conversations over and over instead of showing us new information when it could have been implied it'd been discussed so we don't sit through it, or show us the re-telling because there's something revealed about the characters in the way it is retold and the way they react to the telling. Instead we get "this happened. then that happened." Rinse repeat.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3

Absolutely, he finds out she's re-hexening, hasn't told him and he's going to just go with the flow.  He was stupid from the beginning --not getting a paternity test, drifting into a relationshiip with her -- and now he's also fine with her taking the baby out of the fortress and into the law firm daily.  He just appears weak and stupid.

I agree...he's a special kind of moron.  But, I do have to give the show props here (pay attention!  I don't do it very often!)  At least on this point the show has kept up the continuity.  Nick has always been a passive idiot.  Of course, of all the things the show could do well, staying true to Nick's dumb ass is not the one I'd choose.

• Love 1

The only thing I can say for Nick's non-reaction to what Rosalee told him is Adalind did ask him about the "what if" basically right after he came back from Germany. And he, odd as it was at the same was basically "cross bridge when we get to it". So his, shall we say subdued? reaction could theoretically make sense in that it's not just "no she said nothing" but rather "she sorted hinted around about the possibility but never acknowledged it directly". So that moment could have shown Nick having some sort of excessive compassion for her, probably genuinely believing Rosalee's mention that she seemed terrified, because dancing around it and not saying it is congruent with said fear. It could've clicked for him with something other than surprise. The pieces were all there for him to have some sort of reaction that made sense and was neither blank stare and move on, nor instant righteous indignation. I don't know if it's just the actor not having it in him to pull off the nuance, or the director asking for this kind of epic blandness; or if perhaps what they were going for with the non-reactions were shock.
But it didn't play like anything that intentional at all. It's like "this thing happened" oh, ok, nobody tells me anything, guess I'll go back to work. Nice weather we're having. I'm a Grimm. La la la.

Edited by theatremouse
That is totally bad-ass.

Don't forget, another biest fight is coming.  Juliette/Eve has to prove that she's the big bad hexenbiest, so she threatens Adalind as foreshadowing to their inevitable fight.  Gotta remind people that Adalind will cower and run away from special snowflake.

• Love 2
My sexy pants Renard needs to keep it in his pants and stop acting like a box of dead hair.

I want to hold out hope that Renard will get smarter. 

Nick is idiot.  When the shows hero has to be dumbed down or turned into an idiot in order to sell the other characters (nod dead Juliette, etc) there is a huge problem.

I think that it's only for Juliette's benefit.  Nick is an idiot, but his idiocy doesn't deter from how good and likeable the other characters are. 

Yes, I think the answers are yes she will do anything.  The ends justify the means. Trickster tactics nullify consent.  Like I've said before, the writers think this is naughty.  Not criminal.  It is very messed up.

Same with Adalind.  She rapes Nick, but this show thinks it's about being naughty.  Or that it's OK because they end up together in S5.

He's ready to be manipulated by Adalind.  If I liked Nick, maybe I could sympathize. 

If not the establish some nice of nuance of the reactions, why do we sit through characters tellings us about something happening that we also already saw? Show, not tell, bitches.

I hate when a show does this.  Don't tell us what's happening.  Show us.  The writers seem to want to use a narrative to explain to the audience what it should be feeling or how it should react instead of allowing the audience to draw its own conclusion.

I LOATHED this episode. I am continuously appalled by how they just don't seem to get that what they're writing is rape. But even if I accept and ignore that because it's clearly not going to change, we got the clunkiest most exposition heavy scenes out of it. Juliette tells Nick, who has bizarrely zero reaction when realistically (even if he were trying to play close to the vest) should've had some reaction to hearing that the action Adalind did that destroyed their relationship, she now does loosy goosey because it's convenient for espionage. He didn't even blink.

You would think that maybe Nick would react later or that he would start to plot against Adalind.  No, he'll keep her out of the loop, but he'll still play house with her. 

I still side-eye Juliette/Eve for being meh about what she and Black Claw lady did.  Juliette was pretty pissed at Nick and Adalind when Adalind raped Nick.  Now, it's no big deal when she does it for the sake of the mission.  As a biest, she's as manipulative as Adalind.

• Love 1