Type keyword(s) to search

Dead Of Summer - General Discussion

• Start Topic

To be fair to the acting, this episode around I think everyone was required to pull off "act possessed and like they could secretly be the demon" by the director (Elizabeth Mitchell and Russian Drycleaning-Stealing Boy's coy looks at each other during the Eagle Creek speech; Amy to Jessie in the Blindman's Bluff speech), so their bad acting might have been particularly egregiously highlighted in this episode.  

It's still bunk though, don't worry.  Everyone is encouraged to line up and stare placidly, eyes unshielded, at the "surprise eclipse"?  Cricket threatens Jessie with dire happenings if she looks at Wicker Crossed With Gargoyle Lake Monster, then she does, and... nothing happens to her?  (C'mon, TPTB.  That monster should have reached right out and clawed a hole in Jessie's guts, killing her instantly.)  Jessie lives in Section 8 housing festooned with graffiti and where no one changes the lightbulbs, but she has money to go off to camp every summer?  I give them kudos for finally realizing the camp should be closed down, though; that's about the only dose of realism we got this episode.  Nice conveniently unattended morgue much, Jessie?!

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, queenanne said:

To be fair to the acting, this episode around I think everyone was required to pull off "act possessed and like they could secretly be the demon" by the director (Elizabeth Mitchell and Russian Drycleaning-Stealing Boy's coy looks at each other during the Eagle Creek speech; Amy to Jessie in the Blindman's Bluff speech), so their bad acting might have been particularly egregiously highlighted in this episode.  

It's still bunk though, don't worry.  Everyone is encouraged to line up and stare placidly, eyes unshielded, at the "surprise eclipse"?  Cricket threatens Jessie with dire happenings if she looks at Wicker Crossed With Gargoyle Lake Monster, then she does, and... nothing happens to her?  (C'mon, TPTB.  That monster should have reached right out and clawed a hole in Jessie's guts, killing her instantly.)  Jessie lives in Section 8 housing festooned with graffiti and where no one changes the lightbulbs, but she has money to go off to camp every summer?  I give them kudos for finally realizing the camp should be closed down, though; that's about the only dose of realism we got this episode.  Nice conveniently unattended morgue much, Jessie?!

She also had braces when she was younger, along with being able to attend summer camp.  Maybe Medicaid paid for the braces, but still unrealistic.  I can't even imagine that the sleazy mom would have cared enough to get Jessie braces.   

On 8/3/2016 at 9:09 AM, krankydoodle said:

My favorite bits are with the 3 satanists who are always tooling around on the fringes.

It's always so random when they cut to them that I can't help but laugh. I think I'd prefer watching this show if those satanists were the leads and we just watched them stumble around the woods trying to appease whatever evil god they believe in.

I think this show's writers might have some self-esteem issues or something. On Once Upon a Time, Horowitz and Kitsis will throw in dialogue about how difficult it is to be a writer and made one of the leads a heroic author with magical writing abilities. And then on this show, they have Deb dumping her lawyer boyfriend (who actually appeared to have his life in order and seemed nice) for her true love, the hippie poet.

• Love 1
On 8/14/2016 at 5:05 PM, queenanne said:

and for people with so much experience juggling large casts and multiple storylines, they've clearly got no idea what to do with this batch, because I stop caring about the earlier reveals by the time we finish unspooling the next camper's backstory.

If you keep up with Horowitz & Kitsis's Once Upon a Time, it's not all that surprising. Just because they worked on Lost doesn't mean they know how to balance a large cast and multiple story lines. It's something that gets a lot of complaints over in the OUAT threads.

Speaking of OUAT, it'a amazing how much they steal from that show and straight up copy+paste dialogue into this show. The motif in this episode was "what kind of man do you want to be?" and "how far are you willing to go?" which were literally copied and pasted from a recent episode from Season 5 of OUAT. Also, the line "we make a good team" is a common romantic trope line used in OUAT that found its way into this episode. I don't know if they're purposely paralleling their own writing motifs and using them in multiple shows on purpose, or if they're just unoriginal and can't come up with any other ideas.

The only good thing I can say about this episode is that it finally got me to care about one of these characters. Jessie can stay alive, everyone else can die or become Camp Stillwater demons.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2
On 8/20/2016 at 2:37 PM, Curio said:

It's always so random when they cut to them that I can't help but laugh. I think I'd prefer watching this show if those satanists were the leads and we just watched them stumble around the woods trying to appease whatever evil god they believe in.

I think this show's writers might have some self-esteem issues or something. On Once Upon a Time, Horowitz and Kitsis will throw in dialogue about how difficult it is to be a writer and made one of the leads a heroic author with magical writing abilities. And then on this show, they have Deb dumping her lawyer boyfriend (who actually appeared to have his life in order and seemed nice) for her true love, the hippie poet.

Technically we just know that she *looked like* she would toss the boyfriend away (a fine distinction only stopped by hippie poet's RL death, but I digress), though.  Technically they didn't write it as silly and on the nose as it could have been.  It's only when Ghost Hippie Poet comes back by the lake, IIRC, that she admits to him that relationship broke up.  This is also one of those rare instances where I admire that they wrote the lawyer back in time as a sincere romantic rival (as opposed to one of those "Ugh, she's not happy with her perfectly fine mate?" hair-pullers I usually despise; like millions of straight women can afford to throw away a safe nice "7" for their ideal pulse-pounding Greek-god "10", because we're all so constantly besieged by hunky suitors).  They even had a semi-hostile meet-cute, in another type of show they'd clearly have been "The Story".

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, queenanne said:

This is also one of those rare instances where I admire that they wrote the lawyer back in time as a sincere romantic rival (as opposed to one of those "Ugh, she's not happy with her perfectly fine mate?" hair-pullers I usually despise; like millions of straight women can afford to throw away a safe nice "7" for their ideal pulse-pounding Greek-god "10", because we're all so constantly besieged by hunky suitors).

I did appreciate that they didn't make her lawyer boyfriend "the villain" who was clearly the mean obstacle in the way of the poet, but I think I read the episode a little differently. The fact that Deb accepted the hotel keys, showed up to the room at night, and was at least willing to cheat on her boyfriend means to me that she'd already made the decision in her mind that she was tossing away the lawyer for the poet. (At least for one night.) We didn't see what happened on screen after the death scene, but I'd imagine that was the turning point in her life which made her realize she wasn't truly in love with the lawyer and began her process of restarting Camp Stillwater.

Awesome Amy reveal and backstory.  I really like the idea that Amy is a psychopath and that the demon of the lake didn;t want Amy because she was some perfect snowflake but because of the reverse reason.  That actually works for me a whole lot better and it actually explains a bit especially a few of my issues with the pilot.  Ha!  Poor Deb.    Still really good episode.  I love me a female psychopath with an ax.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

Deb's death was so dumb and preventable. What Moron just goes "OH GOD and does nothing and let's a psycho swing the ax and kill her without trying to move out of the way?. Awesome reveal on Amy. For some reason I didn't think they would actually have the main character be the Pyschopath. But the best Pyschos look all sweet and innocent 

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:47 PM, NorthstarATL said:

Blind Man's Bluff? Really?

LOL

Dead Cricket:  Jessie!  You have to collect Holyoak's bones and throw them into the lake before sunset or EVERYONE WILL DIE!!!

Jessie:  Okay, I'm on it, except I'm first up in Blind Man's Bluff!

I have to question the efficacy of a Demon Test where the demon only has to use "deception" to lie his way out of being revealed.

When Amy was holding the knife at faux-yuppie's neck for five minutes, I kept wondering why he didn't step away. Oh, there it is--she's holding his wrist.  Hee.

I enjoy the show pretty much; the snark factor is fabulous.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

Between fast-forwarding through the bazillion commercials, I wondered
• where was the bus even going? 
• why was this camp even still open after so many people died in various violent ways in so short a time?
• will we ever know why Amy's friend was so over-the-top worried about police breaking up a party?

What a convoluted story. It's as if the creators just threw everything at the proverbial wall.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

What a convoluted story. It's as if the creators just threw everything at the proverbial wall.

It's classic A&E. Stall for 8 or 9 episodes with a bunch of filler and useless backstories, and then BAM! An actual jam-packed, exciting, and over-the-top episode that tries to make up for all the boring episodes that came before it. If the writers had gotten rid of all the flashbacks this season and began the 80s demon slasher fest sooner, the entire show might not have been so terrible. But one awesomely campy episode doesn't make up for the slow, slow, slow pace to get there.

I honestly thought this was the finale for a second. What still needs to happen? More deaths? Killing Amy? A useless Blair flashback? (He's the only character that hasn't gotten one, right?)

Oh, and the song "Home Sweet Home" is forever ruined for me by Hot Tub Time Machine. Sorry, Dead of Summer.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

**clap**clap**clap**

This goofy show fooled me so thoroughly!  I was sure Deb was the Big Bad, which is probably exactly where they wanted to lure me.

The middle 30 minutes--Amy pleads, Amy snarls--was boring, although it was pretty funny when the creepy supernatural figure haunting the whole show suddenly said, "Uh-oh" [paraphrase] and imploded.  Holyoak, we barely had a chance to know ye.

I have to thank the showrunners for last week's "Dead of Summer For Dummies" segment, where they tipped us off that ______________ had his camera with him when he teleported back to the 1800's.  (The only boy name I know is "Townie.")   Wonder where they're going to go with that?

I honestly did not see that twist coming, and I kind of love it. And I like how they actually tied Amy's first flashback, which originally seemed utterly pointless, back into what was to come. Good job.

I do agree that I wish they'd gotten to this point sooner, and maybe played out the fallout a little longer.

Jessie remains my favorite. Damn girl, sacrificing yourself to save Amy and the others. That was pretty badass. I really hope she is the last girl standing. I could care less about the rest of them. lol

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I honestly did not see that twist coming, and I kind of love it. And I like how they actually tied Amy's first flashback, which originally seemed utterly pointless, back into what was to come. Good job.

I do agree that I wish they'd gotten to this point sooner, and maybe played out the fallout a little longer.

Jessie remains my favorite. Damn girl, sacrificing yourself to save Amy and the others. That was pretty badass. I really hope she is the last girl standing. I could care less about the rest of them. lol

I think they set up Jessie being the Final girl especially with presumed "final girl" Amy being the th r true Villian 

Spoiler

I actually think maybe this would have played out better as a two part two hour movie extravaganza.  I think this might have worked better as a tighter story or maybe a five or six part tv show.  What law says tv shows have to be 10 episodes?  

I watched the pilot again because I was curious if I missed anything Amywise.  I am not sure if it was the acting or all the running and jumping and "oh my god" you scared me.  In the pilot but I think the pilot did too good of a job of painting her a pure and special snowflake.  Although I do think a few if the cuts were clever and having her save the life of the deputy with an ax is funny in retrospect.  Still.....

• Love 1

Ugh. I just can't get over Anna dismembering the Snow Queen.

I kinda hate reveals like this. Why was Amy screaming upon entrance of the mysterious Teacher during the vessel ceremony except to continue foolin' the audience? How would Amy, just supposedly saved from drowning, able to don her mask and watch Garrett shoot Not!Uncle Sheriff? BTW- the inside of that mask must SUCK because Amy couldn't wait to get it off once whatever shenanigans she was up to were done. 

Um, what else... The demon is killd-ed in the holy water jacuzzi but Amy's still able to draw it back post demise? And what the hell side is DeadCricket on? Ugh.

What's the point of all of this again-- bad stuff happening to everyone? It looks like demonAmy is going to go have fun with friends? I'm confused.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I watched the pilot again because I was curious if I missed anything Amywise.  I am not sure if it was the acting or all the running and jumping and "oh my god" you scared me.  In the pilot but I think the pilot did too good of a job of painting her a pure and special snowflake.

1 hour ago, Tarasme said:

Why was Amy screaming upon entrance of the mysterious Teacher during the vessel ceremony except to continue foolin' the audience? How would Amy, just supposedly saved from drowning, able to don her mask and watch Garrett shoot Not!Uncle Sheriff?

These are the kind of details that bug me about the reveal. The creators claim they let certain actors in on the reveal from the very beginning, but it doesn't seem like the way Elizabeth Lail portrayed Amy in the first episode was in any way supposed to be shifty. It appears like she's playing it straight for the first several episodes, but I would have much preferred if she gave us something weird in her performance to make us question her motives. I didn't get the sense that Amy was starting to go nutty until the episode she killed Joel. (That's his name, right? Camera Kid?)

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2
On 8/23/2016 at 7:09 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Awesome Amy reveal and backstory.  I really like the idea that Amy is a psychopath and that the demon of the lake didn't want Amy because she was some perfect snowflake but because of the reverse reason.

Yes! I am actually glad I stuck with this terrible, terrible show. Too bad it took 9 episodes for things to get interesting, better late then never. I really did not see the reveal coming, although, I did find it odd that a young, cute, healthy, Caucasian child moved around 7 foster homes (just because shows usually have a kid like that adopted out). Amy being a complete sociopath explains why no one wanted to keep her around for very long.

Hopefully this show finishes strong since I doubt it will have a second season.

As the end of summer draws near, the centuries-old fight between good and evil at Lake Stillwater ends once and for all . . .

I put up a thread so we can wrap this puppy up and have some closure on Camp Not-So-Stillwater.  Sorry about the episode title--I can't tell what the titles are unless I have more than one on my DVR. 

I thought it was funny that Amy and Jessie were trapped within the camp perimeter so Holyoke and Malphus could duke it out in the ultimate cage match--seems like they might have had an opportunity for that throwdown when they were both inside Jessie.   But then we would have missed all the hide & seek, capture the flag and Marco Polo games.

It was interesting to hear from the showrunners that Deputy Townie has now assumed Holyoke's role of Permanent Protector for Lake Stillwater.  As far as I could tell from the show, he just had a warm celestial hug with his dad and they disappeared into the light together.  Er, when did Hollywood start having Production pop in at the end and 'splain thing to us?  LOL, this show.

Nice to see Jessie's mother get a bit of comeuppance.  I know my mother was always irritated when I raided her closet for my summer camp wardrobe.

Edited by AmandaPanda
changed episode title
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, candall said:

It was interesting to hear from the showrunners that Deputy Townie has now assumed Holyoke's role of Permanent Protector for Lake Stillwater.

Yeah, I missed that in the show too. Since all the rest of them also did the walk into the water and poof out of existence I assumed he was the same. Thank the TV Gods that we got that little interview at the end to know what happened on the show we'd just watched.

I am quite pleased that Jessie lived. She became my favorite (by favorite I mean basically the only one I cared about at all) about half way through. Good on her. I actually thought this was mostly a solid ending to the show. Lots of gore, zombies, light vs dark, the "we got the bad guy, ooops, something went wrong but then we got it together at the last second" bit with the music. Deputy Dipshit being dead was a nice twist because when he showed up I was all WTF? Why would Evil Amy leave him alive?

I'm curious if they think there is any possibility at all of a season 2. If so, obviously someone new would come buy the place, Deputy Dipshit would creep people out with his cryptic warnings while Bad presence inhabits someone new? Or would Evil Amy be back? I have to admit, once she revealed that she was pretty evil all along, I grew to like the character. lol

• Love 3

Ha, they did a better job than many shows as far as wrapping everything up and still leaving an opening for Season Two, just in case.  Credit where credit is due!

In fact, now that I think about it, ret-conning Deputy Townie into Holyoke 2.0 is probably a hedge to cover their bets in the (unlikely) event they want to feature his ghostly presence next year.  <g>

• Love 5

Oh my god, that was so, so stupid. This whole thing reminded me of, like, being a little kid and playing some pretend adventure game (like an actual old-school running-around-outside game, not a computer one) that you'd make up as you go along -- "No, I can't be dead in our pretend magical jungle-city because...I'm just now standing near this certain tree and...uh, it grew here to save me on days that I wear a blue T-shirt!"

And Amy is powerful enough to bodyslam people all over the place but is then limited to simply hiking through the woods like a regular person and calling out names when she's on a rage-fueled predatory hunt?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I am kinda disappointed that Amy didn't axe murder all the idiots at the camp.  It says something about a show when I want the demon possessed psychopath to win.

Or maybe it just says something about me.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, candall said:

Nice to see Jessie's mother get a bit of comeuppance.  I know my mother was always irritated when I raided her closet for my summer camp wardrobe.

She ALSO raided her mother's dumb-as-a-stump date, which I think bothered "Mom" even more! I thought they did well enough for a finale, especially back the cast as Amy's Army. I'll bet they had a fun shoot!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am kinda disappointed that Amy didn't axe murder all the idiots at the camp.  It says something about a show when I want the demon possessed psychopath to win.

Or maybe it just says something about me.

It is not just you. I wanted her to just go around and finish them all. They didn't deserve to make it through the season. 

Also, I really loved that Amy was the perfect host because she was a psychopath. Just love it. 

• Love 4

This is seriously the worst and most unsafe camp ever.  And let's not forget the rotten meat in the "cooler" which they were planning to cook how?  

That Russian kid joins in the conversation even though there's no way he could have heard, and he was too far away to see the photo.

The problem I have with this show is, why should I invest in anyone if they're just going to die anyway.  

Why do they take turns having visions?  This week has been the only vision that actually seems to have a point, in regards to the "agenda" of the Island, uh, I mean Camp Stillwater.

I guess they decided to borrow the "lost inhaler" plot from Season 1 of "Lost", eh?

Edited by Camera One

Who knew flashbacks would get worse when they moved from teenagers to the adult.  Deb's flashback was a real snooze... I really couldn't care any less about her love life.

What parents would let their kids stay at that camp surrounded by live bear traps?  Deb making that "I ran away yesterday" speech to all the kids was laughable.  How about hiring some people to comb the woods for traps and maybe hire security to keep the local drug dealers away?  And oh yeah, maybe stop with the satanic rituals.

As someone said in an earlier episode thread, the police detective stuff is extremely boring.  Predictably, he's always half a step behind at any moment.  As if he could do anything if he got to the bottom of this "mystery".

The three stooges in the woods and their references to their "teacher" do not intrigue me in the least.  Like the detective parts, they seem divorced from the rest of the show.

Between flashing back to Dharma times, and heart-in-a-box, they're really taking one thing or another from "Lost" and "Once Upon a Time" every episode I see.

The gross-out head was the reason why I was wary of watching a horror show.  Until this, there has really been nothing that bothered me too much, and there's usually enough warning such that I can look away.  Ugh.  Why was the rest of his body dumped in the lake? 

No surprise, but this show is going to have no rewatch value.

And I can't believe that their plan for Season 2 is

Spoiler

To show the 1970s and what happened to Deb during her time at camp.  As said above, who the hell cares.

Edited by Camera One
2 hours ago, Camera One said:

And I can't believe that their plan for Season 2 is

Reveal hidden contents

To show the 1970s and what happened to Deb during her time at camp.  As said above, who the hell cares.

This show got renewed? Seriously?

7 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

This show got renewed? Seriously?

Not renewed yet.  But the creators talked about their plans for Season 2 and 3, if they happen.

I just posted the links in the Media thread in case you were curious.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Adam and Eddy's plans if "Dead of Summer" is renewed and gets a Season 2 and Season 3.

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/171708/20160828/dead-of-summer-season-2-theres-a-bigger-story-at-play-eps-unveil-plans-for-next-chapter-video.htm

This article discusses the chances of renewal given the (less than stellar) ratings:

http://www.ibtimes.com/will-freeform-renew-dead-summer-season-2-if-renewed-horror-series-will-focus-deb-2409808

Edited by Camera One
On 8/20/2016 at 0:41 PM, Curio said:

Speaking of OUAT, it'a amazing how much they steal from that show and straight up copy+paste dialogue into this show. The motif in this episode was "what kind of man do you want to be?" and "how far are you willing to go?" which were literally copied and pasted from a recent episode from Season 5 of OUAT. Also, the line "we make a good team" is a common romantic trope line used in OUAT that found its way into this episode. I don't know if they're purposely paralleling their own writing motifs and using them in multiple shows on purpose, or if they're just unoriginal and can't come up with any other ideas.

Ahh, I just saw this.  I was looking up where I heard "how far are you willing to go?" and posted about it in the Writers' thread, but you've already made the same comment here!  I can't believe I'm spending my weekend watching "Dead of Summer"... three more left, so might as well finish it, eh?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I didn't think this episode was all that great, despite the surprising reveal.  The stuff in this episode was just too off-the-wall to be remotely believable even within the context of this universe.  The hokiness in the cabin was so ridiculous that it hurt the tension.  I guess they really like the idea of "we fight darkness with light" much used on "Once".  The "friends" telling Amy they loved her?  After knowing her for a week or two?  The driver leaving the bus was very reminiscent of the dead pilot in "Lost". Every line in the bus was a variation of "What the hell?"  And Deb deciding to go out to "buy them some time"?  Like 5 seconds?

Was Amy already being controlled by the Demon when she went to the camp to talk to Deb?  Because no one wants to go to camp *that* much.  They keep on making it seem like Camp Stillwater changed everyone's life and is the be all and end all of life.  How did Amy ensure the window would give way?  Why would that friend drive all the way to the Camp to warn them?  About what? 

What a mess.  There was no rhyme or reason to anything in this episode.  Why did some people get flashbacks, while others didn't?  Blair and Drew seemed like afterthoughts.

Why didn't the Demon immediately take its true form with the giant claws?  Was it just more fun to walk around with an axe and be all loser-ish half the time?  Why didn't she just resurrect every single person who died this season including those who took their lives?  Then she could have had an entire army.  Jessie seemed to alternate being completely clueless and suddenly getting every bright idea in the book.  

What was the point of the Camp anyway?  Couldn't demon have just killed a bunch of random Townies and Deb, put them in the corners of the star, to get Amy to become the vessel?  And then what was the demon planning to do?  

Okay, so Jessie decided to dress up in her mom's skimpy clothes to go to Camp.  And she decided she was going to treat other people like crap just because it fit her persona for the first half of the season?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Camera One said:

Adam and Eddy's plans if "Dead of Summer" is renewed and gets a Season 2 and Season 3.

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/171708/20160828/dead-of-summer-season-2-theres-a-bigger-story-at-play-eps-unveil-plans-for-next-chapter-video.htm

This article discusses the chances of renewal given the (less than stellar) ratings:

http://www.ibtimes.com/will-freeform-renew-dead-summer-season-2-if-renewed-horror-series-will-focus-deb-2409808

I don't get how a season set in the 70s would work. We know that Deb had a happy time at camp and that while there was some weird stuff going on it didn't end with a huge blood bath or demon attacks. It would be a bit anti-climactic.

A season set in the present/future with some new sucker trying to re-open the camp, but not if

one of the current counselors was the opening it. Why they hell would Jessie, Drew, and the other guy that survived ever go back there?

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

Yeah, now that I've watched the entire first season, I don't see how either of these scenarios would be feasible or entertaining.

I'm assuming Deb will just get amnesia by the end of the season.

Edited by Camera One
On 9/5/2016 at 2:15 AM, Camera One said:

What a mess.  There was no rhyme or reason to anything in this episode.  Why did some people get flashbacks, while others didn't?  Blair and Drew seemed like afterthoughts.

Oooo, in hindsight, I *so* wish Blair and Drew, at the bus station after having listened to the munchkin commanding them to go back to camp, had looked at one another and said something like "Hey- did you hear something?" "No. You?" "Nope- let's go to Seattle."

Annnnddd... back to people running in the woods wielding axes and topknot ponys.

Edited by Tarasme
  • Love 3

I wish this show was better because I realize I really liked the premise even without the lake demon.  Councilors at camp (all with questionable pasts) are getting axe murdered. Who is doing it?   Oh my is it the girl everyone marked as the survivor girl?  That was actually an awesome reveal but otherwise the show was kinda very awful which is disappointing because this kind of show is so much in my wheelhouses.

• Love 1
On August 20, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Curio said:

If you keep up with Horowitz & Kitsis's Once Upon a Time, it's not all that surprising. Just because they worked on Lost doesn't mean they know how to balance a large cast and multiple story lines. It's something that gets a lot of complaints over in the OUAT threads.

But in the shows defense those are all pretty common themes in hero stories.  There is a reason tropes are tropes.  Now if you are saying its badly written that's a whole other conversation.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

But in the shows defense those are all pretty common themes in hero stories.  There is a reason tropes are tropes. 

True, but I guess I was talking more about the dialogue that seems copied and pasted. The themes on their own are fairly common tropes, but the exact words the characters speak are suspiciously similar between the two shows.

I finally got around to watching this episode and it was...not quite what I was expecting. I think they should have just kept the previous episode as the season finale because this one was a bit of a snooze. Sure, we wouldn't get closure on some of the stories and we wouldn't get "happy endings" for some of the characters, but this episode seemed like too much denouement when they could have ended on a super high note last episode.

On 9/14/2016 at 10:39 AM, Curio said:

because this one was a bit of a snooze. 

For all the carnage, it was surprisingly a snooze, and I agree it felt anti-climatic.  I didn't like the previous episode either, but it was better than this one.

I'm not sure where to post this, but does anyone else think the actress who plays Amy is horrible?  I know it's "campy", but she takes me out of even that.  Garrett isn't much better, but he is a bit.   I realize there isn't much talent here at all, but she is REALLY bad. lol  The special effects seem 80's.  Maybe it's supposed to be?

Edited by kelslamu
On 8/18/2016 at 4:32 PM, Gudzilla said:

I've believed from the first episode that Amy was possessed with/by the voice of Juliette Lewis. ;)  

Wow!  Thank you!  I was hoping I wasn't the only one who noticed this.  I can stand listening to Juliette way quicker than Amy though.

Edited by kelslamu