Type keyword(s) to search

Dead Of Summer - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Okay, wow, I am WAY in the minority here--I liked it a lot.  I too thought we were going to spend forever going through the machinations of tormenting Chub Girl before New Girl relocated her moral center, but nope!  Mean Girl surprised me by being smart enough to admire New Girl's moxie and integrity more than she admired her Bitchy Bestie.  And the way she conveyed her approval was in keeping with her natural cool cat demeanor, so boom, we're there with minimal fuss.  (Finding Carter would have stretched that development over three episodes, so thanks, A&E or whomever you are.)

Well, I didn't say I liked it or not though--just wondered if I missed some kind of turning point. I know that everything shouldn't have to be spelled out exactly for us or anything, but it was abrupt--I didn't know whether to "blame" my dwindling attention or the show. Maybe the transition would have made a bit more sense to me if I thought that Amy had any moxie. (I am hopeful; she's at a murder camp--she'll have to moxie up at some point!)

Maybe they'll show more explanatory flashbacks throughout--like why dead friend was so in fear of her mom!

Edited by TattleTeeny

I kind-of love this show, in a trashy summer-show way.  It's entertaining and silly enough to keep me interested, but it's not overly serious with itself.  Right now, at least, that's enough to keep me watching.

• Love 4

This was better but only in the sense that drowning is better than getting eaten alive by fire ants. Maybe because the flashbacks were at least barely interesting. I still think that the acting is much better than Scream.

(edited)

Alex told Blotter that he would have "Barney Rubble eyes" if he took the liquid acid. It's a play on the 80s song "Bette Davis Eyes" and is because acid would give you giant pupils, resulting in big black eyeballs like Barney Rubble from the Flintstones has.

So the show is still not great, but I'll keep watching. It's entertaining enough, and I actually do kind of like each of the counselors and the camp director (I like them as characters, not so much as humans). I like that they're apparently going to do a flashback of a different character each week. The satanic cult or whatever is totally stupid. I really hope this show's mysteries aren't going to be 100% supernatural, but it sort of seems to be going that direction.

Edited by mntnsrck79
  • Love 1
(edited)
On July 2, 2016 at 7:43 PM, wayne67 said:

The flashbacks are going to drive me bloody bonkers. 

Seriously. The format is extremely limiting and only allows a small amount of characters to shine in each episode. 

On July 6, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Suzysite said:

A Scooby Gang mystery would be more intriguing.

Freeform should have invested in this idea instead. If they wanted a cheesy, supernatural, period piece with attractive teens, they should have done a live-action TV series reboot of Scooby-Doo set in the 70s. (Hopefully it wouldn't suck as bad as the live-action movies...)

Edited by Curio

Ok if flashbacks bother you you are not going to like this show.   

The acting is a little better the in the pilot but I am still not sure about it.   I do not like any of the teen councilors.  That is my major issue.  I did find Alex's backstory somewhat interesting thought.    

I will stick around for Elizabeth Mitchell and To y Todd (who is putting off some serious Candyman vibes which is making me happy I loved him in those movies) 

16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

LOVE IT! I feel like The Cult has always been a bit underrated!

I was a big fan of The Cult back in the day. I saw them in Birmingham, AL in 1989. Good show but one of the opening bands, Dangerous Toys, was one of the worst bands I've ever seen. ;)

• Love 1
(edited)

I think I know what I will be listening to today at work... 

I am now on E-Bay trying to find my old Cult T-shirt (well, not "mine"...though who knows? I suppose in some weird chain of events, it could be)--the one with Ian wearing a crown of thorns and pointing a gun.

Edited by TattleTeeny
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I think I know what I will be listening to today at work... 

I am now on E-Bay trying to find my old Cult T-shirt (well, not "mine"...though who knows? I suppose in some weird chain of events, it could be)--the one with Ian wearing a crown of thorns and pointing a gun.

I had a black long-sleeve t-shirt from that show. I'm not sure what happened to it and I can't find a picture online.

(edited)

The crown-of-thorns one? I can't either--it's nowhere! Were we the only people to have had this graphic?! Did we both completely imagine it? Or the only people to have let them get away from us?

Edited by TattleTeeny

I'm swimming against the stream again because I loved the premiere and was bored silly with this one.  I didn't think the background music repeatedly swelling into "dun dun dun DUN" territory was a good substitute for, you know, actual tension.

I´m trying to watch this show, I´m almost at the end, but there´s one thing that´s making me seriously want to turn off the tv, and that would be: The main character... The actress is by far the worst that I´ve ever seen, and that is saying a lot (I´ve loved tv for 33 years). I don´t have high standards btw. I think they´re also writing her really badly, making her a type that´s seriously boring and difficult to act. Everything else is okay, decent actors, an interesting premise, nice scenery, but it just takes me out of it all every time I have to see her put up these faces, no matter where she is or what she´s doing, she´s scared, sad etc (and like I said earlier, a horrible actress). I wish someone would have seen it at the start so they could have gotten a better actress.

I feel like this show was mis-advertised. I thought it was supposed to be a creepy mystery, but instead we waste all this time with pointless flashbacks that I think are supposed to be deep character moments. I want some plot about the camp. 

Also, if all the counselors are always hanging out together, who the hell is watching the campers?

I still don't know the names of any of the male characters......

• Love 1

This week's flashback weren't as bad as the first episode's but to have the flashback be part of some empowerment message doesn't really fit a horror/mystery. Also, the show grinds to a halt whenever the Deputy and Sheriff are doing their investigation.

(edited)

This one was slightly less tedious than the first episode... seeing a Russian immigrant family was at least slightly different.  

They're taking liberally from "Lost" with the "tall man" shushing the boy, and Alex seeming like a young Sawyer.  

The reveal was rather lame.  I couldn't help but laugh when Alex declared to the laundromat owner that "I got a new job working at a summer camp", as if that job requires suits.  What an impressive blackmail scheme to get used clothing for free.  Diabolical.  

Same cryptic dialogue as the first episode.  "I'm worried you're headed down the same road", "They should never have reopened that camp", etc., the deputy's mother says, as if we care.  That deputy's reasoning skills are clearly lacking.  Drug dealer = child kidnapper?  

So this week, Amy has zero visions and doesn't seem creeped out by anything?  Only people with flashbacks that week get visions?  

The other characters still feel very cardboard-like with their teen problems.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I'm out. This isn't even the good kind of bad. It's just bland and tedious. 

Crystal's flashback backstory added little to the episode.

For a show theoretically about a bunch of teens in an isolated camp stalked by an otherworldly menace they've managed to make it super boring with all these flashbacks and weak romance sub plots. *yawn*

• Love 1
13 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I feel like this show was mis-advertised. I thought it was supposed to be a creepy mystery, but instead we waste all this time with pointless flashbacks that I think are supposed to be deep character moments. I want some plot about the camp. 

Also, if all the counselors are always hanging out together, who the hell is watching the campers?

I still don't know the names of any of the male characters......

Yes it was I was expecting Sleepaway Camp or at the very least Friday the 13th.  What is this?

This show sucks.  There is so much wrong with it.  I don't even know where to begin.  I was expecting like PLL but in the woods.  This isn't that.  It's more supernatural but still horrible

• Love 2

I feel like it's trying to make references to Sleepaway Camp and Ft13th with the girl disguised as a guy and the obvious setting. But I also feel like it's trying to do a lot of things--for example, be interesting and suspenseful!--and failing because WTF with this shit?

Watched it.

Still very average for me but will finish the others 7 episode. Hope they wrap up the storyline with  Deb and the mysterious box and the ritual Killing. Because with 0.2 and 400 000 the rating dosen't seem enought to be renew.

Deb and the camera boy are more weird than anything else. I was Strangely pleased with Amy apparent dead because the actress was the worst here. Kind of like Criquet so she can stay in live a little bit longer.

Not buying the deputy and the kissed girl.

Well I can't even figure out what the hell is going on.  Remember when "gourmet" jelly beans came out and you ended up with a mouthful of coconut cream pie AND lemon soufflé AND red velvet cake, all at the same time? 

It's like that.

The soundtrack is fun, so that's good.

I also like that they're using period-appropriate names like Amy, and we're not seeing teenaged girls running around with names like Madison or Riley. Of course, this is only the pilot, but the name thing always bugs the shit out of me.

• Love 1

So Alex is a big ol' phony. That actually feels like the plot of some really dumb 1980's teen book or movie so he continues being the only one here that actually feels like he's really from that time period. (The hair is also great- total late 80's/early 90's vibe to it.) I'm going to admit that I find him eye candy (what can I say? I love preppy clothes on a guy that can rock it), so I was in for this episode.

11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I also like that they're using period-appropriate names like Amy, and we're not seeing teenaged girls running around with names like Madison or Riley. 

Ah yes, who can forget the popular 80s nickname "Cricket"?

Am I the only one who thinks of Rickety Cricket whenever they say that name? His presence on this show would at least make it a little more bearable to watch.

I'm enjoying this series. *ducks. Looking for something light and interesting for the summer. I do think the show's doing a lot-teen drama, ole skool horror, sleepaway camp/campy horror, but it really had me at Candyman and the music. Being an 80's baby, I can dig that. That said, I appreciate adding some depth to the characters but wish it could be done with giving each a focused episode.

I was getting My So Called Life vibes from Cricket and Ugly Betty's nephew here which I also appreciated. Deb? and the film geek kid are skeeving me out, but I guess that's a typical camp trope too. I liked Amy delivering those cookies with extra guilt and seeing the kids interact with each other in different ways as well. Wonder if Cricket's crush is still alive somewhere. I know we saw the hand, but...

The biggest problem is that the flashbacks don't demonstrate anything revealing about the character, with the exception of Alex's. This week's was essentially telling us that a character we already knew was transgender was transgender. How is that at all relevant to what the show is trying to say?

Are people actually going to get killed in this slasher show?

• Love 4

I actually liked the scenes with Jessie and Drew. Those were the best parts of the episode, it's sort of an unlikley friendship, and now I am curious to see Jessie's flashbacks.

But I am so lost on this demon stuff. So there's actually a monster that lives in the lake? Is the lake a portal to hell? And the biker townies are satan worshipers that Deb is somehow connected to? Did the lightning make Amy some kind of conduit to the satan stuff? I'm not intrigued by these questions, I'm really just confused.

Also, who the hell is paying attention to all the campers?

• Love 11

I'm calling it now, Jessie hurt or killed a friend in that DUI. Or she was trying to kill herself.

Also do the counselors or Deb ever interact with the campers? Do they have any supervision? Are there invisible counselors that watch the campers? I'm putting too much thought into this.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Also, who the hell is paying attention to all the campers?

Nobody, they are using the Lori Grimes way of supervision. Never knowing where the child/children are!

I guess I was expecting a real live killer, more like slasher not satanic/spirital/ghost stuff. I am bored!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Court said:

Also, what was in the box? I wasn't paying attention.

I was paying attention and I couldn't tell you. She pulled out two...things...said something about a guy who reminded her of Camera Boy, something about taking risks or something and then they started doing it. Then Deputy Dipshit was searching the woods and did not happen upon the grown woman and teenage boy screwing on a blanket. Instead he is distracted by Special Snowflake Amy getting all touched by a demon (did he see the hand?) and then they made out.

WTF?

This show does suck, but there is nothing else on and at least ABCFami...Freeform (stupid name) had the sense to pair it with the equally sucky PLL. They know their audience. Target those with a high tolerance for BS.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Instead he is distracted by Special Snowflake Amy getting all touched by a demon (did he see the hand?) and then they made out.

I could not stop laughing when Jessie randomly showed up behind them during the makeout. Where the hell did she come from?! Did she follow him all the way out there just to awkwardly stand behind them for a second, get jealous, and then walk away? The staging was so bad.

• Love 4

I'm sorry...but the whole Andrea/Drew backstory was so ham-handed. Like - let's trot out every single cliché and trope around transgender struggles that we can. Add to the fact that the acting overall is abysmal - and it makes for cringe-TV. Zelda Williams seems like a smart, awesome woman. But she's not a good actress. At all. But - considering the rest of these idiots - she's practically Meryl Streep. I can't tell if it's the bad writing, lame and lazy story lines, stupid special effects or what. But these 'actors' are literally the worst.

I feel like I liked this episode better than the others, but that's still not saying much. Also, Drew should invest in one of those compression T-shirts if he wants to keep things smooth while keeping his boobs a secret!

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Was the counselor the mom took Drew to transgender too?

I kept expecting them to go somewhere with that fact, but they never did. I kind of liked that it was just who the character was and wasn't some huge plot point. But I'm also surprised it wasn't a plot point because this show doesn't seem that subtle.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 1