Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Thanks for posting those links, Kromm.  I've never watched Mrs. Doubtfire, but I think I will have to, now.  Bless those two young women, and bless Robin,

I actually think Mrs. Doubtfire is one of his better straight up comedies, even if cross-dressing is on one level a bit of a lame gimmick (done badly by some real hack comedians too).

• Love 1

I'm not gonna lie, the reason I didn't like Mrs. Doubtfire is that Robin Williams scared the crap out of me in that makeup.  I just couldn't stand to look at his face and it gave me nightmares. 

• Love 1

I actually think Mrs. Doubtfire is one of his better straight up comedies, even if cross-dressing is on one level a bit of a lame gimmick (done badly by some real hack comedians too).

Yea it was. As for cross-dressing being a bit lame, gotta disagree on it. Saw Tootsie a while ago and Dustin Hoffman did a good job. Same with Robin.

• Love 4

I have the MDL Marathon on Bravo right now and they played a promo for the Robin Williams episode of Inside The Actor's Studio, which will air Thursday night at 7pm CST.  I am so dvr'ing this...

Oh heck yes! Thanks for the heads up, my mom really wanted to see this. :)

Seeing all the posts on Twitter from charities he supported is heartbreaking.   If only he knew how much the gift of laughter meant to the kids of St. Jude or the comfort he gave to troops far from home on his USO tours, maybe he would have realized how much he mattered.   But his depression lied to him about that.

merylinkid, it may not be that Mr. Williams didn't know how much his gifts brought happiness and hope. We do not know what he was thinking.  To anthropomorphize his depression as lying to him doesn't help the rest of us who are still struggling with our depression, and I hope you do not suffer from that. Mr. Williams was a very high-profile person who fought off depression. To use the phrasing you used is a bit patronizing and infantilizing, as if he wasn't an adult man who weathered a shit-ton of health issues and was aware of his health. Unless you are his doctor or mental health provider, you cannot say with certainty anything about what he was going through.

I understand that his death is a surprise, but to talk about something like depression in such a seemingly trivial way is upsetting.

I hesitated to comment on this but I feel I must.  I have dealt with depression for most of my adult life and -- for me -- it DID feel like the disease was lying to me when I felt hopeless and like it would never end.  For me, merylinkid's post conveyed my reality perfectly.  We are all entitled to our own opinion, based on our own experiences.

Back to the topic:  I was never a fan of Robin Williams because his manic delivery always made me nervous and it always felt like "too much," but I do feel saddened by his death.  It seems like he was struggling to cope with some really horrible health issues, and I know, for instance, that antidepressants don't work for everyone.  It's a crummy situation no matter how you look at it.

• Love 3

Richard Attenborough has passed.   He was 90.   

This is getting depressing.  I know they are in heaven having a big old party,but down here on earth, the world is a little darker from all those we have lost recently.

• Love 4

Richard Attenborough has passed.   He was 90.   

This is getting depressing.  I know they are in heaven having a big old party,but down here on earth, the world is a little darker from all those we have lost recently.

In all honesty, while I feel for his loved ones, I don't know if I can be depressed personally by the departure of someone who tallied up 90 years.  That's more of a case where I personally want to raise a glass and say "hey, you had a great run!" 

• Love 8
In all honesty, while I feel for his loved ones, I don't know if I can be depressed personally by the departure of someone who tallied up 90 years.  That's more of a case where I personally want to raise a glass and say "hey, you had a great run!"

While I tend to feel that way, too, the two celebrity deaths that have truly upset me in my life were Myrna Loy and Katharine Hepburn and they lived to be 88 and 96, respectively.  Sometimes logic flies out the window.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Richard had a wee bit role in my fave Powell & Pressburger film A Matter Of Life And Death, as one of the pilots entering heaven.  Hopefully TCM will show a small portion of his films in remembrance, those he directed and acted in.  

I will always appreciate Attenborough for the great work he did in directing Gandhi.  That movie made me go to the library to get all the history books about Gandhi that I could. I was only a tween, and only knew the bare bones and old footage that were shown in Bollywood movies in the early '80s, late '70s that had the theme of Indians fighting for freedom from the British.  Sure some it was "Hollywoodized" for the lack of a better word, but I would say he got 90% of it right.  And it was such a treat to see some of the Bollywood actors who normally played villains and character roles appearing in this movie.  And of course, convincing Sir Ben Kingsley to agree to take the role.

RIP, Lord Attenborough.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

Lord Attenborough upon arrival at the gates of Heaven, looks in awe at the tableau before him. Greeted by St Peter, he asks in wonder, "how'd you do this?" St Peter smiles and beckons him in..."I'll show you" *

* Inspired by my favorite scene in Jurassic Park.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 4

Richard Attenborough was the number one topic on twitter for hours yesterday. People are definitely talking about it. Don't be peeved! 

Link link link link link The story is still in the top 3 trending on facebook. But, I think people in general are less upset about a 90 year old passing. He lived a long life and there wasn't a dramatic story to tell about his death. But even then, its a big deal, and the articles are out there. You just have to filter through all the VMA/Emmys coverage today.

Ah. I don't do Twitter, but I didn't see him trending on Yahoo!'s page nor on FB. But then, I haven't really been on the 'puter most of last week (my grandma passed), but I really didn't think I'd have look for articles about his passing/appreciation, etc.

• Love 1

As soon as I saw his picture, I knew I'd watched him in numerous things and a scan of IMDb confirms -- Roseanne, Who's The Boss, Remington Steele, Scarecrow & Mrs. King, Sisters, Cybill and, most of all, Seinfeld -- the guy redoing Jerry's kitchen.

He was only 58.

That's too bad.  There was much to criticize in her comedy - and I did - but when she directed it at herself I roared with laughter alongside her.  And there was much to praise in her work ethic, determination and, especially, in her love for her daughter and grandson.  My heart goes out to them.

... in something of a personal way as I sit here continuing to digest this 20 minutes later.  I have a mother whom I love more than anything in the world but who can drive me batty like no one else, and had a grandmother who was everything to me, whose death in my childhood absolutely shattered me.  Say what you will about Melissa putting her son on "reality" TV - and I've said plenty - but it showed the very real truth those three loved each other dearly and openly. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

RIP Joan Rivers

I'm so glad she got to do The Tonight Show one last  time, and I know it obviously meant a lot to her.

Can we talk?

She was so funny, and once she got on a roll, there was no stopping her.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

*takes my hat off*

In 1983, Joan Rivers and Eddie Murphy co-hosted the Emmys, and both of them were so vulgar that neither of them were ever invited to host the show again. Ms. Rivers far outshone Murphy as far as being potty-mouthed went, in fact. At around the same time, they performed this skit together on Saturday Night Live

and drew major laughs. Goodbye Joan, you funny woman, you'll be missed.

• Love 5

I watched her one-woman show in L.A. several years ago -- front row center.  It was fantastic! 

Love her or hate her, there's no denying that she was a woman to be reckoned with. 

RIP, Joan.  With some of the best comedians of this era gone, this world now seems to have less laughter... 

• Love 5

Standing ovation from me. Thundering applause!  Bravo Joan and well played!  She wanted to leave in her prime and she did.  I adore this woman. 

Melissa, this is going to be a difficult time.  Hang in there.  They were as close as close gets.  

I do not believe we rest when we die so I will say, pretty cool where you are, right?!  

• Love 2

Oh, wow, I'm watching the Joan and Melissa "True Hollywood Story" that E! is repeating right now and just watched Joan talking about her parents (with whom she had many clashes over her decision to be an entertainer) -- Joan, Edgar and little Melissa had moved to Los Angeles, and she got the call that her dad had been taken to the hospital following a heart attack.  She was on the phone with her mom, saying she'd get a full-time nurse in for him so he could come home, her mom said she didn't want anybody in the house, Joan said, "Too bad, I'm doing it.  Good-bye" and hung up.  The next day she got a call from Edgar saying, "Sit down, try to stay calm, but you have to get to New York."  She said, "My dad died," and Edgar said, "No, your mother."  (Of heart failure.)  She never got to make up with her mom, and never really got over that.   That had to make the estrangement from Melissa even more heart-breaking.  I'm so glad they reconnected and went on to have all those years together.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

This makes me very sad to hear about Joan. She was a funny, caustic lady, but I also enjoyed her more serious interviews where she talked about the feud with Johnny Carson. She spoke very candidly about the dog-eat-dog world of show business, particularly comedy, and she said she was still bitter towards Johnny for his total coldness towards her after she left to do her own show. But then she acknowledged that it was this quality that made Johnny Carson such a success: "he didn't get out of Des Moines Iowa because he was a sweet boy. He had drive." I thought that one line showed more self-awareness than most celebrities. That's what I liked about Joan. She didn't just spill platitudes. She often told the cold hard ugly truth, and was damned funny about it.

• Love 7

Rest in peace, Joan Rivers.

She was one of those TV personalities that I, personally, loved. I know some didn't like her because of how low-brow her humor could be or because she was mean-spirited; the reason I can't feel the same is that, even though she did make fun of many people, she never forgot to give herself just as good as she gave others. Sometimes just saying the truth can be hilarious for the simple fact that we skate around it so often in our daily lives. I know her life wasn't necessarily an easy one, but I'm happy that she was in a good place with her family in her final years. My thoughts go out to her daughter and grandson right now.

• Love 3

Hmm, I was shocked to search and find the board has no Fashion Police forum.

Even in these early days I'm curious if they have some contingency plan in place to continue the show.  Technically it's got three other "hosts", although lets face it... nobody really gives a shit about them.  I suppose they could eventually get some other super-quippy comedian to "anchor" it and have the other three do the fashion stuff.  (I'm thinking of someone like Margaret Cho, Mario Cantone, or even Kathy Griffin).

RIP Joan.  I admit I had my reservations about you after you were on The Apprentice, but your comedy never flagged or wavered, that's for sure.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I know some didn't like her because of how low-brow her humor could be or because she was mean-spirited; the reason I can't feel the same is that, even though she did make fun of many people, she never forgot to give herself just as good as she gave others.

I generally preferred her directing that wit at herself than at others (and certainly when it came to how people look rather than what they do), but my feeling - from, admittedly, only a moderate level of familiarity with her work, but with the entire body of that work, not just the E! years - is that while her jokes could be mean, she wasn't a mean-spirited person.  And humor from such an intelligent person never feels truly lowbrow.

Near the end of that True Hollywood Story was what I assume is a clip from their reality show, with Joan getting ready to undergo (plastic) surgery.  She told Melissa, "If something happens, it's okay."  Another conversation shows her telling a worried Melissa she's had an amazing life, they've had a great ride together, Cooper is a terrific kid, and whenever it ends they will all be okay. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

I really thought at first that Joan would pull through.  How sad. That's the way to live life. Vital, energetic, quick witted and working to the end. What an inspiring woman. She could be so hard on people on Fashion Police.  Then a lot of actors she had been hard on would come on the show as guests.  There really is no one else like her.  To me one of the nicest things was hearing her talk about Melissa and Cooper.  She always said how proud she was of Melissa.  Anytime you saw Joan with Cooper you could see how much they loved each other.  He will have wonderful, loving memories of his grandmother.

• Love 2

RIP, Joan, and thank you.  

I wept when I heard the news.  It feels unreal, even though I knew her condition was serious.  Some people, you just think, they'll be around forever.  I kept saying, I want her to pull through this -- think of the jokes she'll make about it!

• Love 2

I've had my bones to pick with Ms Rivers over the years but her talent, her fearlessness and her drive are undeniable. She was a force to be reckoned with, on HER terms, who played a large part in making it OK for women to be funny. Lucy and Carol (Burnett) certainly played their part, but it was Joan who probably kicked open the hardest door, stand up. I've little doubt that those who hated her as well as those who loved her will miss her equally.

Rest Peacefully Funny Lady  

• Love 2

Some of Joan's jokes I found funny:

(From the Huffington Post)

Grandchildren can be so f-cking annoying. How many times can you go, ‘And the cow goes moo and the pig goes oink’? It’s like talking to a supermodel.

"I now consider it a good day when I don't step on my boobs."

"Why should a woman cook? So her husband can say 'My wife makes a delicious cake' to some hooker?"

My best birth control now is just to leave the lights on."

"I wish I had a twin, so I could know what I'd look like without plastic surgery."

"I don't exercise. If God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put diamonds on the floor."

(R.I.P.)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 2

My best memories of Joan were from early in her career, right about the time she had Melissa (does anyone remember the hilarious book she wrote about her experiences with pregnancy, childbirth, and the raising of a toddler -- "Having a Baby Can Be a Scream"?). Like Phyllis Diller, she really was to me always at her funniest when she was laughing at herself and her life (well, and when she was mercilessly mocking Heidi Abromowitz -- that tramp!).

RIP, Ms. Rivers.

• Love 3

What am I going to do on Friday nights now? Even my DH was a Fashion Police watcher. Sometimes Joan's jokes were a skosh dated (seriously, Cher jokes?) but god do I want to be that vital and sharp at 81

Kromm, I had the thought of Kathy Griffin for FP as well. She has some of the same brashness as JR. Curious to know what the rest of the crew thinks--try to go on or call it a day.

• Love 1
Well said.  When I think of Joan Rivers, I think of a brash woman, but it's my understanding that she actually was considered very kind by many and involved in quite a bit of charity work as well.

My friend met her in person when she was a speaker for a charity event and said the same. She (friend) was just starting her own business and JR was super-encouraging.

I'm a little miffed at a lot of "I feel bad she died but she was a mean person" comments I've been coming across. I think that is a short sighted assessment. I'm not that old but she was a giant in the 80s and she'd already been around for *2* decades! I don't know if that's sunk in with the general public.

• Love 2

What am I going to do on Friday nights now? Even my DH was a Fashion Police watcher. Sometimes Joan's jokes were a skosh dated (seriously, Cher jokes?) but god do I want to be that vital and sharp at 81

Kromm, I had the thought of Kathy Griffin for FP as well. She has some of the same brashness as JR. Curious to know what the rest of the crew thinks--try to go on or call it a day.

I just requested a Fashion Police forum.  I can think of around 5 or 6 good candidates to take the starring/panel moderator job (and about 40 really BAD candidates they might entertain anyway, who would be total disasters). Anyway, when they make that forum we can discuss that there I guess. Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

As I watched all the TV coverage of Joan Rivers' life, I was struck by how beautiful she was before all the stuff she got done on her face.  I, too, would have loved to see what she would've looked like without surgery.

That still doesn't take away the fact that she was a true trailblazer.  I knew she was pretty gutsy when I heard her incorporate her husband's suicide into her monologue.  She will be dearly missed.

You can see her old face on Melissa. The older pictures are startling in how much they look(ed) alike as young women.

By a strange coincidence, I last posted in this thread about Robin Williams and how much I enjoyed his guest appearance on "Louie" last year. Joan also had a guest stint on that show that was absolutely brilliant within the last couple of seasons. I'm going to have to see if I can watch it again somewhere. 

Her style of humor was not mine, but I certainly appreciated that she was a trailblazer and that she followed her own rules.