Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Deliverance was one heckuva good movie.  If you haven't seen it, it is worth watching.  If it is on cable, I will watch it.

I do wonder if Dueling Banjos will be playing at Ned's funeral. 

Yes, that would be most fitting if Dueling Banjos would be playing at his funeral.

(edited)

There was a great episode where they tried to give Herb a makeover. I think it was Jennifer had him  wear a sharper more fashionable Armani kind of suit and chic haircut but the potential sponsor, a down home,  salt of the earth type thought he looked TOO sophisticated that he couldnt relate to him and turned him down. Jennifer later admitted Herb knew his clientele better than she did and his old way of wearing loud, tacky outfits suited his job more.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 14

That was the same episode Venus tried to change who he was because some guy from Jet magazine was coming to interview him. (and the guy turned out to be white.) And the guy told him that nobody at the magazine was dressed like Venus was, and he pointed at Herb in his new threads and said, "Yeah, they're all dressed like that guy."

Frank Bonner was hilarious, but he also nailed the serious stuff too, like when his drinking got out of hand, or anything with his family. R.I.P.

• Love 14

I was only ever a casual WKRP viewer, so unfortunately I most associate him with the (blessedly short) recurring role of the annoying neighbor Buck on Scarecrow & Mrs. King.  But he did a great job in the little I saw of WKRP; like Herb Edelman as Stan on The Golden Girls, there has to be a special something about the performance for a role like that to work over any length of time.

• Love 10
(edited)

I also just remembered he was on that short-lived Growing Pains spinoff "Just the Ten of Us" from 1988. It was about the Mike Seaver's gym teacher Coach Lubbuck and his wife and ten* kids moving out west where he became the coach of a Catholic school. Bonner played the principal, a priest. Heather Langenkamp(Nancy from A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET) played the eldest daughter.

*Make that 8 kids. With the parents that's 10.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I also just remembered he was on that short-lived Growing Pains spinoff "Just the Ten of Us" from 1988. It was about the Mike Seaver's gym teacher Coach Lubbuck and his wife and ten kids moving out west where he became the coach of a Catholic school. Bonner played the principal, a priest. Heather Langenkamp(Nancy from A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET) played the eldest daughter.

I loved that show.

• Love 10
(edited)
On 6/17/2021 at 5:22 PM, andromeda331 said:

Frank Bonner did a great job playing Herb. RIP 

He really, really did.  He played that role so well.  That was a great show with an amazing cast.

image.thumb.png.33a119ccfdefd03c23fad7e1982fefb7.png

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 12

NPR's Fresh Air recently rebroadcast part of a 1995 interview with Clarence Williams III.  It's the first 20 minutes or so here.  It was a treat to hear him sounding so jovial and animated, as that's not what I associate with his characters! RIP, Clarence -- and your legendary 'fro!  😉

• Love 10
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I wondered when someone was going to post about this. Her Romulan Commander was to me one of the most memorable of Trek "villains" -- and the only one I truly felt sorry for in the end. She was not only used by Spock and the Federation, she was also personally and publicly humiliated by them in front of her own crew. When her first response was to slap Spock in anger upon learning of his "betrayal" of her, I could see that she wasn't only angry, she was also deeply hurt because she really had been attracted to him. It was a powerful, emotional performance by Ms. Linville, and it's so cool that her daughter has carried on her legacy by playing a Romulan Commander herself in the franchise. Rest in peace, Ms. Linville!

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

24 producer and longtime CBS executive Norman S. Powell has died, age 86.  Powell was the son of actress Joan Blondell and Oscar-nominated cinematographer George Barnes, later adopted by Blondell's second husband actor Dick Powell.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/norman-s-powell-dead-cbs-exec-who-produced-24-was-86-1234779183/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/norman-s-powell-producer-cbs-executive-1234971699/

Edited by MissAlmond
(edited)

I also remember her from that Twilight Zone episode set at the end of the Civil War and all the ghosts of the dead soldiers were walking by her house.

ETA:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I enjoy watching a lot of old 70s dramas and she (LInville) was in a bunch of them as a guest star. 

Hawaii Five-O (the original not the craptacular remake).

Columbo

Kojak

The Streets of San Francisco

Barnaby Jones

And many, many, more.

I did as well.

She was great in one of the Hong Kong I SPY episodes as an old flame of Robert Culp's.

• Love 4
(edited)

But wait. There’s more. Sadly. “John McAfee, software pioneer turned fugitive, dead at 75” By Barbara Ortutay (June 24, 2021) AP News apnews.com/article/john-mcafee-europe-fugitives-software-science-fe748982c673aa33196d4368669f2074

…a father who “beat him mercilessly” and killed himself with McAfee’s shotgun when the boy was 15…   
…McAfee took out a pistol to illustrate a point.

“‘Let’s do this one more time,’ he says, and puts it to his head,” Davies wrote. “Another round of Russian roulette. Just as before, he pulls the trigger repeatedly, the cylinder rotates, the hammer comes down, and nothing happens. ‘It is a real gun. It has a real bullet in one chamber,’ he says. And yet, he points out, my assumptions have somehow proven faulty. I’m missing something.”   

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

The Daytime Emmy's 2021 In Memoriam.

AND the later apology for their misidentification of actress Marguerite Ray.

I will repost the updated In Memoriam after the Daytime Emmy's re-edits the segment.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2

I liked that memoriam - they gave us full-screen shots of the people and only showed the singer during the breaks.  I hate it when they don't give us a chance to see the people and read their names!

• Love 7
Just now, MissAlmond said:

Gotta admit, I loved that show's theme song.  

I remember they actually played that song at one of my middle school dances once. 

Why, I don't really know :p. But it was fun to dance to, yes!

• LOL 6
On 6/27/2021 at 4:40 PM, MissAlmond said:

2021 Special Daytime Emmy Awards In Memoriam tribute to Regis Philbin, Larry King and Alex Trebek,

Nice of them to acknowledge Mr. Trebek. He had been the   one of three of the individuals honored (IMO)who had  been intelligent, likable and deep-  which is a better average than    zero out of three, I suppose (yeah, boo me)! 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I loved Joe Martin! Even when I was wee,  I thought his character was one of the best and good guys. Just like John Beradino as Steve Hardy on General Hospital.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Oh, no not Dr. Joe Martin! I always liked that character. Ray did a good job playing him. RIP Ray MacDonnell.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Those reports may be premature:

A rumor Biz Markie had passed away on Wednesday night (June 30) started floating around online after REVOLT prematurely reported on his death.

According to a source close to the Juice Crew legend, he’s still alive as of a few hours ago but isn’t doing well. Unfortunately for Biz, his fans and family, his passing could be “eminent” and he needs Hip Hop’s help.

TV One journalist Rolands Martin also confirmed Biz is still alive, tweeting, “Folks, @BizMarkie has NOT died. I have been in contact with sources who are texting and talking to his wife. My source talked to Biz TODAY. Per his wife, Biz HAS NOT passed away. Please stop responding to non-credible sources. This hurts the family, friends and fans.”

It seems like if it's not true now, it will probably, given his current condition and his health history, be true soon, but hopefully he still has a slim chance.  I can't imagine being his loved ones dealing with such a horrible situation while also having to face media accounts that jump the gun.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Those reports may be premature:

It seems like if it's not true now, it will probably, given his current condition and his health history, be true soon, but hopefully he still has a slim chance.  I can't imagine being his loved ones dealing with such a horrible situation while also having to face media accounts that jump the gun.

The same thing happened to Tanya Roberts earlier this year.  Reports of death, then denial and a few days later, official word of her death.

The media should really wait until they hear it officially, from a family member or representative.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, madmax said:

The same thing happened to Tanya Roberts earlier this year.  Reports of death, then denial and a few days later, official word of her death.

The media should really wait until they hear it officially, from a family member or representative.

The problem with that is that it’s frequently the case where someone close does reach out to the media to tell them that they died.

I mean in the Tanya Roberts example her partner/husband told her manager that she had died after he left her hospital room and it was legitimately sent out as an official press release from her manager that he then had to walk back and then send out again. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1