Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
7 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Paul Soles, Voice of Spider-Man in 1960s Animated Series, Dies at 90

Paul Soles wasn't just Spider-Man.  He also provided the voice for my main elf, Hermey, who wanted it known he wasn't fired - he quit!  Thank you for all the wonderful voices, Mr. Soles!  Rest in Peace.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 14
(edited)
On 5/29/2021 at 8:51 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yesterday was the 23rd anniversary of Phil Hartmans death.  A horrible story all around. 

https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-phil-hartman-19980529-20160521-snap-htmlstory.html

Well, at least their kids were  able to grow up away from the limelight. I only hope that they somehow have learned to make their peace/s of that horrific chain of events (and I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are OK). However, regardless of curiosity of 'whatever became of' may be, I sincerely believe  it's in everyone's best interests that the Hartman offspring are left be. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 11
14 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I loved Gavin MacLeod, both as Murray and Captain Stubing. I highly recommend his autobiography. God rest you, good sir. 🙏

41p2v1wr6zL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Same here. And such a huge part of my youth.

He was 90, wow, I am old 😜

• Love 12
(edited)

Also he was "Moriarty" in KELLY'S HEROES(1970), mechanic for tank commander Oddball(Donald Sutherland).

"Always with the negative waves Moriarty! Always with the negative waves!"

downloadfile.jpg.61298a745fc3a79eb2868be4e36f0fcc.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

He also provided the voice for my main elf, Hermey, who wanted it known he wasn't fired - he quit!  

An elf who wanted to be a dentist - there's just something about that that you have to like. Mr. Soles was perfect as Hermey. God rest him. 🙏

• Love 10

Aww, RIP, Captain Stubing.  He was also in a lot of Westerns, and in at least two storylines on The Andy Griffith Show.  In one, he played a bank robber who was pretending to be a TV executive, in Mayberry to pretend to make a show called "Sheriff Without A Gun".  In the other, he played an actor in Hollywood, acting in a movie called, "Sheriff Without A Gun".

• Love 13
(edited)
5 hours ago, catlover79 said:

An elf who wanted to be a dentist - there's just something about that that you have to like. Mr. Soles was perfect as Hermey. God rest him. 🙏

Hermey was THEE Elf.

Left a workplace where he was unappreciated and mocked.

Used his mad skills to help humble the Bumble.

Fulfilled his life's dream of becoming a dentist.

Opened his practice in Christmastown and charged former co-workers to fix their undoubtedly cavity filled teeth.

Respect to Paul Soles for giving this bada$$ Christmas character life.

tipping derek jeter GIF

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Well, at least their kids were  able to grow up away from the limelight. I only hope that they somehow have learned to make the peace of that horrific chain of events (and I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are OK). However, regardless of curiosity of 'whatever became of' may be, I sincerely believe  it's in everyone's best interests that the Hartman offspring are left be. 

https://thecinemaholic.com/where-are-phil-hartmans-kids-now/

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Here's an obituary (from NPR) on B.J. Thomas.  He died today at home, from complications of lung cancer (he had just announced his diagnosis in March), at 78.

I was just coming in here to post that. Mr. Thomas wrote so many songs that made up part of the soundtrack of my youth. RIP, and thank you, Mr. Thomas!

Dammit, 2021, you're as bad as 2016 and 2020 were. Can't you take a break for a little while, huh?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I was just coming in here to ;post that. Mr. Thomas wrote so many songs that made up part of the soundtrack of my youth. RIP, and thank you, Mr. Thomas!

Dammit, 2021, you're as bad as 2016 and 2020 were. Can't you take a break for a little while, huh?

I don't believe be wrote songs. He was a wonderful singer though

• Useful 2
12 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

R.I.P. Gavin MacLeod, The Love Boat's Captain Stubing and Mary Tyler Moore Show's Murray. My favorite Murray moment:

Murray Sue Ann.gif

Yeah,  Betty White said that although she knew Murray was supposed to dump her on the cake, she didn't expect Mr. MacLeod's lift to hurt her back but she gamely went through it to the end (and improvised stradling it like a horse). Of course, these veterans of live television knew they HAD to get it right- especially since there was only that single cake available! 

BTW, Mr. MacLeod had been born Allan George See and his father  George suddenly died at age 39  in 1945 when the future Gavin was only 14 and went to work straight away to help support his widowed 39-year-old mother Margaret and younger brother Ronald.  Margaret O'Shea See would live to 2004- having lived to age 97 and seen her son become a successful performer and the head of a large family. RIP, Mr. MacLeod! 

• Useful 12
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Here's an obituary (from NPR) on B.J. Thomas.  He died today at home, from complications of lung cancer (he had just announced his diagnosis in March), at 78.

Thanks for posting this, @Bastet, it contains bits not in this obituary from the NY Times (and vice versa). 

11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Mr. Thomas [wrote sang and performed and recorded] so many songs that made up part of the soundtrack of my youth. RIP, and thank you, Mr. Thomas!

The soundtrack of my youth too, @legaleagle53, as the obituary from the NY Times quotes him:

• “The greatest compliment a person could pay my music is to listen and sing along with it and think that he can sing just as good as me,” he said in his memoir, alluding to the accessibility of his performances. “He probably can’t, of course, or he’d be in the business, but I want it to sound that way anyway.” nytimes.com/2021/05/30/obituaries/bj-thomas-dead.html

As a teen I never considered whether I could sing as well as anyone, but his recordings stirred in me the desire to sing along which served as a kind of therapy in a time when such remedies were not common place (through the Vietnam War) especially these B. J. Thomas songs:

• "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" (sung and recorded by B.J. Thomas, written by Hank Williams)
  • "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" (sung and recorded by B.J. Thomas, words and music by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, both #1 on Billboard and Oscar winner for best original song in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid")
  • "Hooked on a Feeling" (sung and recorded by B.J. Thomas, written by Mark James)

Thanks, B.J.

• Love 13
(edited)
17 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Gavin McLeod, dead at 90.

R.I.P. Mr. MacLeod.

TCM aired I Want to Live during their annual 31 Days of Oscar where Gavin MacLeod portrayed a police lieutenant being particularly nasty while interrogating Susan Hayward.  A far cry from his later nice guy roles as Murray Slaughter and Captain Stubing.  

17 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

So I think we're now just down to Ed Asner and Betty White (who I tell you is going to outlive us all!) as the last surviving cast members of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, am I right? 

John Amos who played the recurring character Gordy, the Weatherman before leaving for Good Times is still alive. 

It was nice to see this series of tweets from Princess Cruises.  I read once The Love Boat was the catalyst for cruising really taking off.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18
(edited)

John Amos who played the recurring character Gordy, the Weatherman before leaving for Good Times is still alive. 

As is Joyce Bulifant, who played Gavin's on-screen wife Marie.

Though I suppose Amos and Bulifant played recurring, not main, characters on the show.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

Another sad loss, but it brings back precious childhood memories. The first popular song I learned to play on the piano!  I loved the song and was so proud to play it?  RIP Mr. Thomas. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Though I suppose Amos and Bulifant played recurring, not main, characters on the show.

I am assuming the actress who played Phyliss's daughter Bess is still living as well.  But I agree these are not the main characters of TMTMS.  Ed Asner and Betty White are the last of the core cast.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

But I agree these are not the main characters of TMTMS.  Ed Asner and Betty White are the last of the core cast.

Well, I did state Gordy was a recurring character.  However, I mentioned John Amos because he was included in most of the MTM 50 year anniversary remembrances.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Well, I did state Gordy was a recurring character.  However, I mentioned John Amos because he was included in most of the MTM 50 year anniversary remembrances.  

I had thought he and Bess were main(ish) characters for a while while Joyce Boulifant was only in a handful of episodes but when I checked IMDB I was surprised to see he was only in 13 episodes, Lisa Gerritson was only in 10 and Joyce was in 11.  I don't know what surprised me more, how many Joyce was actually in or how few Lisa was in!  I really thought she'd had a much bigger role than that!

• Love 3
(edited)
41 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I had thought he and Bess were main(ish) characters for a while

John Amos said he has the feeling,  if not for Good Times, Gordy might have become a regular character.   He sited the fact MTM was fleshing out Gordy's character (Gordy acquired a last name, a wife etc).  He added it was an important distinction at the time Gordy as a black man was the station's weatherman, not sportscaster.   It also appears Amos regrets leaving the show because his experiences with MTM were positive whereas not so much with Good Times.  

Switching actors.  I feel so much for Ed Asner.  This is the second time after a MTM cast member's death, he's tweeted he will see them soon.  Take care of  yourself Mr. Asner!  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

I can't say I was The Love Boat's biggest fan but , it DID manage to be the one thing that prevented the cruise ship industry from capsizing altogether. Before that show, only elderly folks too afraid to fly on planes were opting to take cruises and the customer base was truly dying out. Then via the the show's popularity, it became cool for folks of all ages to take cruises (and the show DID take the viewers to some rather exotic locales). While time will tell whether it recovers to its pre-pandemic levels in the near future, it's good that the Princess Cruises kept Mr. MacLeod as its ambassador long after the show's end AND that they honored him for his role in not just their own business but also in encouraging folks to see different parts of the world.  R I P, Mr. MacLeod. 

• Love 10

Robert Hogan, Peyton Place star and The Wire actor, dies at 87.

Hogan died Thursday of complications from pneumonia at his home on the coast of Maine, his family announced.

On the stage, Hogan received an Outer Critics Circle Award in 1998 for his performance as attorney Clarence Darrow in John Logan’s Never the Sinner, a drama about the Leopold and Loeb murder trial in the 1920s. A year later, he played a U.S. Marine in the original Broadway production of Aaron Sorkin’s A Few Good Men.

Hogan appeared on more than 100 TV series, from Hazel, The Donna Reed Show, Gomer Pyle: USMC, The Twilight Zone and Dr. Kildare in the 1960s; I Dream of Jeannie, Gunsmoke, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Hawaii Five-O in the ’70s; T.J. Hooker, Laverne & Shirley, One Day at a Time, The Fall Guy and Magnum, P.I. in the ’80s; Cosby and Now and Again in the ’90s; and three Law & Order programs in the 2000s.

6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Hogan died Thursday of complications from pneumonia at his home on the coast of Maine, his family announced.

On the stage, Hogan received an Outer Critics Circle Award in 1998 for his performance as attorney Clarence Darrow in John Logan’s Never the Sinner, a drama about the Leopold and Loeb murder trial in the 1920s. A year later, he played a U.S. Marine in the original Broadway production of Aaron Sorkin’s A Few Good Men.

Hogan appeared on more than 100 TV series, from Hazel, The Donna Reed Show, Gomer Pyle: USMC, The Twilight Zone and Dr. Kildare in the 1960s; I Dream of Jeannie, Gunsmoke, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Hawaii Five-O in the ’70s; T.J. Hooker, Laverne & Shirley, One Day at a Time, The Fall Guy and Magnum, P.I. in the ’80s; Cosby and Now and Again in the ’90s; and three Law & Order programs in the 2000s.

A wonderful character actor.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Yet oddly enough the article didn't seem to mention about how the younger Mr. Van Halen has been dealing with his father's widow Janie- or anything at all about her. In fact, it made it clear that while there was a certain amount set aside for a trust fund to help aspiring young, impoverished musicians buy instruments,etc. the bulk of the late Mr. Van Halen's estate (and rights) went solely to the younger Mr. Van Halen (and the article did include several quotes about Eddie Van Halen from his ex [and Wolfgang's mother] Valerie Bertinelli).  I hope she's emotionally doing okay and getting along with her  late husband's family. 

• Love 2
On 6/2/2021 at 2:58 AM, Hiyo said:

I just found out that the character of Colonel Hogan on Hogan's Heroes was named after him.  He was a friend of the series creator.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Criminal defense attorney F. Lee Bailey has died, age 87. 

I'm sure many associate him with the O.J. Simpson trial but being a true crime buff, I first learned of Bailey from a TV movie about accused murderer Sam Sheppard.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/03/us/f-lee-bailey-dead.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/03/us/f-lee-bailey-lawyer-dies/index.html

https://deadline.com/2021/06/f-lee-bailey-dead-oj-simpson-trial-lawyer-1234768963/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Criminal attorney F. Lee Bailey has died, age 87. 

I'm sure many associate him with the O.J. Simpson trial but being a true crime buff, I first learned of Bailey from a TV movie about accused murderer Sam Sheppard.

https://deadline.com/2021/06/f-lee-bailey-dead-oj-simpson-trial-lawyer-1234768963/

Dr. Shephard was my grandmother's doctor.  His successful appeal was what made Mr. Bailey.  He eviscerated the long time Cuyahoga County Coroner - Samuel Gerber - on the stand.

Just now, roamyn said:

Dr. Shephard was my grandmother's doctor.   His successful appeal was what made Mr. Bailey.  He eviscerated the long time Cuyahoga County Coroner - Samuel Gerber - on the stand.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

She was in one of my favorite M*A*S*H episodes.

One of my faves too

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

He was in a couple episodes of Hogan's Heroes.

He was also in another of my fave eps of M*A*S*H - the diabetic helicopter pilot Potter tries to help

• Love 5
16 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Criminal defense attorney F. Lee Bailey has died, age 87. 

I wonder if Mr. Bailey and onetime colleague Robert Shapiro ever reconciled or if they stayed estranged until Mr. Bailey's death- having had their working relationship and friendship totally derail while working together during the O.J. Simpson criminal trial in 1995. Mr. Shapiro went so far as to say that he never wanted to speak  with much less work with Mr. Bailey after that!

• Love 4