Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Popples said:

He also played an underrated character in Dave. RIP Mr. Grodin.

OMG - how could I mention him being with Dave (Letterman) and not remember that he was in Dave (the movie)!

I love Dave (the movie)!!!

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, kittykat said:

My first Charles Grodin thought was as nervous singer Harrison in Heart and Souls, a little remembered 90s romantic comedy also with Robert Downey Jr, Elizabeth Shue, Kyra Sedgwick, Alfre Woodard and Tom Sizemore.  It was one of those movies I'd always watch when it was on TV. RIP 

That's my primary association, too, since I've seen that charming film numerous times.

• Love 7

I started watching Carson on Tonight when I was in high school and didn't know much ( as opposed to today, when I know pretty much everything !) , and I always thought Grodin's short temper act was his real personality ! I thought, who would be such an ass to Johnny, of all people ?!? And why does Johnny keep having him back ? 

One of my favorite movies of his is "The Lonely Guy " with Steve Martin. For some reason, I never see this one being run on tv, but it's worth a watch. Charles is a perfect sad sack, a 'lonely guy' along with Martin. He has this one scene about haircuts and he includes Michael Landon in the spiel, it's just so absurd, it always made me laugh. 

• Love 7

I'm so sad about Charles Grodin - I just loved him.  As much as I loved his acting roles, I simply adored his appearances on Letterman and Carson.  So, so funny.  I'm going to have to find some of those on YouTube.  

A sad month, with losing Olympia Dukakis, Norman Lloyd and now Charles Grodin, three of my favorites.  I hope 2021 takes a break for a bit. 

• Love 12
(edited)

A movie that my parents would watch frequently when I was a kid was Seems Like Old Times.  Charles Grodin played the D.A. husband to defense attorney Goldie Hawn, and her artist ex (Chevy Chase) is on the run after he is forced at gunpoint to rob a bank.  I don't know how well some of the humor holds up, but he did a nice job as the straight-laced husband trying to deal with various wacky antics by Goldie and company without losing it.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Bad grammar. And typo.
  • Love 15

I wonder if Lily Tomlin will have anything to say about Mr. Grodin's death? For better or worse, he played her husband in the megaton called Incredible Shrinking Woman (1981). It had a few laughs (the biggest when she did a cameo as the aggressive phone operator Ernestine Tomlin) but not enough for the movie to be entertaining (and the couple employed a rather offensively stereotypical Latina lazy housekeeper) . For Mr. Grodin's part, his character seemed strangely oblivious to his wife's shrinkage until she became too tiny to begin to perform the household chores. 

Obviously, despite this challenge,  these two each went on to bigger and far better things (especially Miss Tomlin) but I wonder if they ever got together and had a good laugh about having been in this disaster. 

As an entertainer, Mr. Grodin was, for the most part, entertaining so RIP for that. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

A few months ago George Segal, now Charles Grodin. Someone keep a watch on Elliot Gould!

Elliot Gould is 82, has he been ill?  Just curious. 

• Love 1

IT WAS MOONEY!!!  Very saddened by this.  I would have loved to see him live.  I remember in a BTS with Neal Brennan that he could not recommend seeing Paul Mooney live loud enough.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

One of the greatest things Dave Chappelle ever did was expose Paul Mooney to a new generation. A brilliant, brilliant comic mind. R.I.P.

Sorry, Wayne Brady:

Paul Mooney didn't lie!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I am a loud, proud, white person, and Wayne Brady makes my hair hurt.  And would someone please send him a tailor, so that he can have every seam in every item of clothing let out by 1/2".  Thanks in advance.

There.  It's out there.

I shall sleep tonight.

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

As mentioned by other posters he was  so great in Midnight Run, Dave, Beethoven.  

He was one of the good guys.  He will be missed.

Grodin has always been such an odd persona to me. Always playing an uptight doofus, but doing it brilliantly.  I can only compare him to a few others, like Phil Silvers, or Dabney Coleman, who played "negatives" in a positive way.  It's kind of a lost art. Maybe Bill Murray still edges into this territory. 

• Love 7

I don't think "Heaven Can Wait" has been mentioned.  Grodin was so hilarious in that movie with Dyan Cannon.  I loved the entre movie, but the two of them were especially golden. 

• Love 6

Aside from his acting career, Charles Grodin was tirelessly active in working for the reform of the draconic Rockefeller drug laws, and succeeded in freeing a number of people who had been given shockingly harsh sentences for minor drug offences.

https://meaww.com/who-charles-grodin-actor-social-causes-clemency-elaine-bartlett-mother-drugs-law-felony-murder-law

Here is a recent interview with three women prisoners that he was very instrumental in getting released:

https://www.wbai.org/archive/program/episode/?id=23004

Other than Pacifica Radio, from which the above radio show aired, the only mainstream media mention of his prison activism that I saw was on ABC News.

• Useful 10
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Aww. Much of the music of my coming of age was driven by his drumming, and I never knew him. 
Here's a bit more background info not included in the above articles or Wikipedia (yet): http://encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-4207

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

Aw, no, sad to hear that news :(. I have a memory of seeing some Disney concert type thing once way back when I was a kid, where he came out and sang "Under the Sea". It was fun :). 

May he rest in peace. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Annie actress and Morning's at Seven Tony nominee Lois de Banzie dead at 90.

Her performance as Myrtle Brown in Paul Osborn’s Morning’s at Seven, opposite Maureen O’Sullivan, Teresa Wright, Nancy Marchand and Elizabeth Wilson, brought both the Tony nomination and a Drama Desk Award. She returned to Broadway in 1985’s short-lived The Octette Bridge Club.

On screen, de Bansie appeared as Eleanor Roosevelt in Annie (1982) and as the mother of a seminarian in 1984’s Mass Appeal starring Jack Lemmon. Other film credits include Tootsie (1982), Sudden Impact (1983), Arachnophobia (1990), Sister Act (1992), Addams Family Values (1993), Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994), Dunston Checks In (1996) and such TV series as Ryan’s Hope, The Streets of San Francisco, Remington Steele, Cheers, Amazing Stories, Family Ties and Generations.

Edited by Hiyo
11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Since her family/friends waited nearly two months after she died and then placed an obituary in the local paper, which entertainment media picked up on, I got curious when she last worked -- steadily up until 1996, and then nothing since.  I wonder if she retired or took ill.

Anyway, I never saw her on stage, but looking at a picture of her I immediately recognized her from an episode of Remington Steele.

• Love 3

Wow, double whammy from my childhood :(. I remember reading those Eric Carle books all the time in school as a kid, either on my own or whenever a teacher would read them to us. They were VERY popular. 

Sad to hear this news, too. May he rest in peace. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I love School of Rock. This is horrible. And such a random accident too.

Re Eric Carle, he too was a big part of my childhood. Had no idea he was still around but hey, making it to 91 isn’t too shabby.

RIP to both.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
(edited)

Re Kevin Clark's death, the Chicago Sun-Times reported:

Clark was riding a bicycle early Wednesday when he was struck and killed at a notoriously dangerous intersection on the Northwest Side. He was hit by a Hyundai Sonata around 1:20 a.m. in the 2600 block of North Western Avenue, Chicago police said.

Paramedics found him on Logan Boulevard and took him to Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 2:04 a.m., according to the Chicago Fire Department and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

That intersection is less than 2 miles from my home, but it's one I'm able to avoid.  While Chicago has installed a lot of bike lanes in recent years, there is still a lot of confusion between drivers and bikers about right-of-way and basic courtesy.  I've seen a lot of bad and risky behavior from both groups.  I'd imagine that biking at 1:20 AM heightens those risks.  

Very sad circumstances.  😢

Edited by Inquisitionist
Corrected typo.
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I liked how he gave the right sarcastic bent to Spidey (and Peter Parker) re this hero who wasn't a perfect boy scout like Supe and had to deal with a limited budget unlike Batman/Bruce Wayne AND had no one he could tell about his secret life!  Still, in spite of his sarcasm and even chomping of the bit (and having to deal with his pain boss Jonah Jameson who refused to believe Spidey wasn't a menace) , he  did his best as a superhero and took very good care of his frail Aunt May .Anyway, it can't have been easy turning a literal comic strip character of a mutant into a rather human one but Mr. Soles did it flawlessly via his vocal talents. 

• Love 7

Paul Soles, Voice of Spider-Man in 1960s Animated Series, Dies at 90

Another fragment of childhood gone.

This show was my introduction to both Spiderman and and superhero cartoons in general.

I know it's tame by modern standards now, but I thought it was pretty compelling. 

RIP Mr. Soles.   

• Love 7