Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Helen almost played Bellatrix Lestrange instead of Narcissa Malfoy but she got pregnant at the last moment. Fate worked out for the best because she was a brilliant Narcissa and I can’t picture anyone but HBC as Bellatrix. RIP.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

I first saw her in "The Queen" as Cherie Blair. Terrific as the Republican(non Monarchist) voice in the movie. She reprised her role along with Michael Sheen's Tony Blair in "The Special Relationship".

I still remember Roger Allam's brilliant line reading, "her curtsy could best be described as...shallow.". And lordy it was.  This one is definitely shocking.  Thoughts to Damian and the family.

She was a wonderful Anna Karenina in a 2000 miniseries opposite Kevin McKidd and Stephen Dillane.

• Love 6

RIP Helen McCrory.

I remember noticing her range when Hugo came out the same year as the last Harry Potter movie. While she didn't have the biggest role in either movie, she definitely stood out in both movies and both showed her range as an actress playing two very different parts.

• Love 4

Felix Silla is also known as one of the little people in one of the most famous Bonanza episodes: "Hoss and the Leprechauns":

HTL.jpg.3a59fa6c981a8cac815cc3b20d269406.jpg

He is the smallest one, 2nd from left, no hat.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

IIRC, it was John Astin who'd record a bunch of gibberish which then got speeded up and played backwards for Cousin Itt's dialogue. Despite his appearance and dialogue, Cousin Itt was by far the most conventional of the Addamses (along with Thing) but he seemed to live an entirely autonomous life on his own while residing with them in his own adapted quarters- except for those times when they'd have a story line for him. 

Well, despite being totally concealed by his costume and not speaking in his own voice, Mr. Silla definitely gave Cousin Itt a good personality and soul and, yes, he made good use of the roles he was in. I wonder if he ever met Carroll Spinney ('Big Bird')? Well, hopefully, now they can compare notes about what it's like to bring iconic characters to life while being completely concealed within them! Now only Gomez and Wednesday survive!  RIP, Mr. Silla!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Blergh said:

IIRC, it was John Astin who'd record a bunch of gibberish which then got speeded up and played backwards for Cousin Itt's dialogue.

Sound engineer Anthony Magro provided Cousin Itt's voice.  From the Hollywood Reporter:

(The character was the idea of a producer and was not in the Charles Addams' cartoons on which the series was based, and Cousin Itt's voice on the show was provided by sound engineer Tony Magro in postproduction.)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/felix-silla-cousin-itt-on-the-addams-family-dies-at-84

• Useful 5

Academy Award winning costume designer Anthony Powell has died, age 85.   

As mentioned on the Movies forum, I'm a huge fan of John Guillermin's Death on the Nile.  Anthony Powell not only designed the costumes, he won one of his Oscars for it.  He also designed the costumes for another fave of mine, Evil Under the Sun.  Fabulous costumes for both and always in character.   R.I.P. Mr. Powell.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/anthony-powell-dead-obituary-academy-award-tony-award-death-on-the-nile-sunset-boulevard-1234739775/

https://variety.com/2021/artisans/news/anthony-powell-dead-indiana-jones-101-dalmatians-1234955056/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/anthony-powell-three-time-oscar-winning-costume-designer-dies-at-85

Edited by MissAlmond

This link has photos of various film costumes Anthony Powell designed.

http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2021/4/18/anthony-powell-1935-2021.html

Quote from a BFI interview where Powell speaks of improvising a last minute costume addition for Mia Farrow in Death on the Nile.

Do you ever have to improvise a costume?

Quite often. When we were doing Death on the Nile, suddenly a new scene was written in and I needed a new costume for Mia Farrow. We were in Egypt, in the middle of nowhere, so I thought what can I make it of? We had just enough pale blue silk in the workshop to make some pyjama trousers, but I needed something amusing to make a little top out of, and there was nothing at all.

But as I wandered around, there was our tailor’s mother, a wonderful cook, making her paella on the stove, using this quite grubby tea towel covered in grease and garlic and olive oil, but it was white linen with multi-coloured stripes which you could just see through all the grease. I thought there will just be enough to make a little waistcoat, if I can get all this filth out. So we boiled it and boiled it till it was sort of the colour it was meant to be, and we whizzed up this very pretty little waistcoat. We did the fitting with Mia, and I gave her a big straw hat, and she said, “I like this, this is very pretty, but can you smell garlic?” I said, “No, I can’t.” She said, “There’s definitely a smell of garlic; where could that be coming from?” I thought, It’s coming from you! 

https://www2.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/interviews/clothing-tess-poirot-indiana-jones

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 3

RIP composer/lyricist/producer Jim Steinman - the P.T. Barnum-style showman of pop music - responsible for SO many overwrought 70s, 80s and 90s classics including:

Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Meat Loaf's Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

Air Supply's Making Love Out Of Nothing At All

Barbra Streisand's Left in the Dark

Barry Manilow's Read 'Em And Weep

Bonnie Tyler's Holding Out For A Hero

Meat Loaf's I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)

Celine Dion's It's All Coming Back to Me Now

and his own 1981 Top 40 hit Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

RIP composer/lyricist/producer Jim Steinman - the P.T. Barnum-style showman of pop music - responsible for SO many overwrought 70s, 80s and 90s classics including:

Jim Steinmen's stuff was bloated, but in the absolute best way possible. There will never again be another like him.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Jim Steinmen's stuff was bloated, but in the absolute best way possible. There will never again be another like him.

I agree.  Total Eclipse Of The Sun.  It's All Coming Back To Me Now. Making Love Out Of Nothing At All.  I love these songs and don't care who knows it.  R.I.P. Mr. Steinmen.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

So many great songs. Thank you.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I agree.  Total Eclipse Of The Sun.  It's All Coming Back To Me Now. Making Love Out Of Nothing At All.  I love these songs and don't care who knows it.  R.I.P. Mr. Steinmen.

I love “It’s All Coming Back to Me.” That’s a really hard song to sing with the tempo changes and the range required. Props to Celine Dion for pulling it off.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I love “It’s All Coming Back to Me.” That’s a really hard song to sing with the tempo changes and the range required. Props to Celine Dion for pulling it off.

That song was originally written for Meatloaf.  He passed on it and Celine recorded it with some changes.  Meatloaf eventually did his own verison

• Love 5

Two random things I still remember from the 2017 solar eclipse:

1) The Phoenix Suns' perfectly timed Twitter blocking of other NBA teams (When the Suns block back) the second the moon moved on.

2) Bonnie Tyler (with DNCE) singing Total Eclipse of the Heart on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Steady, folks of a certain age, this one's going to hit kinda hard:

Bay City Rollers frontman Les McKeown, dead at 65.

Oh, the memories!  It’s so crazy that this past weekend a friend and I were talking about good old days and we both broke out singing S A T U R D A Y........

Here’s another link about him.  
https://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths/les-mckeown-1955-2021-lead-singer-for-the-bay-city-rollers/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10
48 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, the memories!  It’s so crazy that this past weekend a friend and I were talking about good old days and we both broke out singing S A T U R D A Y........

This song got played LOUD at every party back then.   Simpler times, you played their record, bought 16 if you wanted a picture you could put up on your wall and you hoped your teen crush would be on American Bandstand so you could actually see them "live".

• Love 11

I am an unabashed East Coat hip hop  fan.  To me late 80s-90s east coast hip hop is a golden age.  And I love that Digital Underground was at the vanguard of the alterna hip hop movement (along with Diggable Planets, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest amongst others).  I enjoyed the humor they infused in their music as well as their playing with different styles (jazz, classical). Sex Packets was such a great album and doesn't get the praise it deserves, imo.

Rip Shock G.

• Love 7

As a kid I remember many an afternoon after school watching videos on MTV (yes, I'm old) and Digital Underground was one of my introductions to hop-hip.

RIP Shock G

• Love 5

Veteran TV and film producer Chuck Fries has died, age 92.  From the Deadline link:

Considered the godfather of the television movie, he pioneered the genre at Metromedia Productions in the 1970s. He then mastered it with his own independent production and distribution company, Fries Entertainment.

Known for issue-oriented movies, Fries Entertainment programs included more than 200 hours of content for ABC, CBS and NBC, including iconic TV movies like Small Sacrifices starring Farrah Fawcett and Ryan O’Neal; The Neon Empire, a three-hour epic saga starring Ray Sharkey, Martin Landau and Gary Busey; Leona Helmsley: The Queen of Mean, starring Suzanne Pleshette and Lloyd Bridges; The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, starring Rock Hudson and Darrin McGavin; Woman on the Ledge with Deidre Hall; Bitter Harvest, starring Ron Howard and Art Carney; The Word, starring David Jansen and based on the book by Irving Wallace; and the Emmy-nominated LBJ, starring Randy Quaid and Patty Lupone.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/chuck-fries-producers-guild-lifetime-achievement-award-winner-was-92-1234742755/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/charles-w-fries-dead-television-producer-executive-was-92-1160619

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/chuck-fries-dead-tv-producer-1234959268/

On 4/26/2021 at 2:26 PM, Browncoat said:

Much better than having someone singing, and the camera focusing more on the singer, but some of those seemed to go by really fast.  I had a hard time keeping up/reading them!

It was way too fast in some parts.  It felt very disrespectful to me, as it happened to those that were not as well known.

Maybe it went so fast there would be no complaining that some people were left off.

• Love 4