Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

It is possible to offer condolences, recognize his achievements, and remember the many, many, many shitty and racist things he said throughout his life.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

No sadness here. He never met a minority he wouldn't offend, though he was rude to just about everyone else too. Here's some lowlights. I bet there's lists out there twice the size, or more.

I didn’t know the guy, so I have no personal feelings. I feel terrible for Queen Elizabeth. She has been steadfast through a lot. And she lost her partner of more than 70 years.

Philip may have been a creepy asshole racist, but he fought the Nazis in WW2 and he played an enormously public second fiddle to his wife for more than seven decades. It’s still a struggle for a lot of men when their wives are smarter, earn more money, have more power and respect than they do and this is 2021. I have pointed to him often as an example when faced with instances of men who struggle when married to incredibly successful women.

• Love 12

RIP DMX. His music got me through a lot of dark times and is always a go to when I need to vent on my commute home from work.

I know he got into a lot of trouble, but sober Earl seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I wish he had stayed clean.

Thanks for the music, X.

• Love 11

Man, rest in power DMX.

I legit made a 'Party Up' reference in a Teams meeting just last week.  It was a big call with IT and a faculty member wanted my office and IT to pull together some real complex information in a really short time and I just let go with a 'Y'all gon' make me lose my mind..." and a couple of younger IT guys chimed in 'Up in here, up in here."  The CIO was on the meeting and he was like "uh... I don't recognize the tune, but I take it that is a hard no?"

Always the best party song!!

• LOL 16
  • Love 6

“He lived a long and full life, so it's no tragedy or sadness really.”

As Tracy Ullman once said while in character as Princess Margaret, “After living as a royal here on Earth, heaven is going to be a tremendous disappointment”. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm not going to pretend that the late Duke of Edinburgh didn't have a serious shadowside.

However, at this time, I hope that others will consider that he  showed resilience in the face of his growing up in an exiled family before they flew apart at an early age and, by his own admission, he would have no real home until he married the Heiress Presumptive of Great Britain. And he put himself at risk by joining the Royal Navy of his adopted nation and was, in fact, in more than one major World War II battle from Crete to Okinawa!  Not that he didn't occasionally chomp at the bit, but he did his best to be a support to Her Majesty through many  calamities and triumphs down the decades . Hence,  I hope she can take some comfort in the fact that the affliction that forced her to cancel countless engagements,ribbon-cuttings, unveilings and tours enabled her to spend more one-on-one time with him in his last year than they had had since he was a Naval officer stationed in Malta  after the Prince of Wales's birth and she only had to make a few appearances as the Heiress Presumptive. 99 years is an incredible age to reach as is being able to celebrate one's 73rd wedding anniversary! RIP, Your Highness (and, if they're reunited, what a tale for him to tell his father Prince Andrew of Greece who likely never would have imagined that destiny or fate for his only son).

BTW, I hope that BBC News anchor Martine Croxall doesn't get dissed for having worn  a brown sweater with a low neckline instead of a black blouse with a black mantle when she announced the Duke of Edinburgh's death. She definitely seemed shocked and saddened by it to the point of being on the verge of tears. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7

Big Brother UK's Nikki Grahame dead at 38.

The reality TV star died Friday morning, according to Deadline. The cause of death is currently unknown. "Please respect the privacy of Nikki's friends and family at this tragic and difficult time," her representative said in a statement.

Grahame, who was previously open about her struggles with anorexia nervosa in her autobiographical books Dying to Be Thin (2009) and Fragile (2012), was recently in treatment for an eating disorder, and friends started a GoFundMe for her last month.

Edited by Hiyo
On 4/9/2021 at 10:17 PM, VCRTracking said:

The DMX cameo in TOP FIVE starring Chris Rock is hilarious:

LMAO!  Won't ever hear that song the same way again.

X also did a version of Rudolph the red nosed reindeer that was a trip.

Sighs.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Australian TV director John Clabburn dies after freak accident, age 52. 

What a horrible experience for him, obviously, and for his wife.  At least she came upon him quickly, so she'll know he had his best shot at recovery (had she come along later, she'd probably always wonder if he could have been saved had she discovered him sooner) and he wasn't alone in his final moments of awareness.

28 minutes ago, dalek said:

Saw this clip on the BoingBoing.net website of an Aussie comic doing his routine dissing the royal family when the audience interrupts to tell him Prince Phillip is dead.

Ha!  He had a great routine going, and his reaction when told the old racist he's skewering just died is great - the expression on his face, and then how he rolls with it and segues back into the routine.  Because, yeah.  I don't agree with mocking his age (punch up, not down), but calling out his racism and sexism - yes, please, and, no, you don't have to hit pause because he died.  Which the audience got.

(And then, double Ha! at his reaction to the audience's discomfort with bringing up Andrew's participation in sexual trafficking of girls [and the media's lack of coverage of that as compared to their coverage of Meghan Markle] - "Don't get weird now, when fucking five minutes ago you were applauding the death of Prince Philip.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

What a horrible experience for him, obviously, and for his wife.  At least she came upon him quickly, so she'll know he had his best shot at recovery (had she come along later, she'd probably always wonder if he could have been saved had she discovered him sooner) and he wasn't alone in his final moments of awareness.

I feel for her knowing her husband had praised the very chain saw that minutes later played a part in his death.  

31 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I feel for her knowing her husband had praised the very chain saw that minutes later played a part in his death.  

I feel for Mrs. Clabburn  knowing she's lost her husband in a most horrific accident that could have been avoided altogether had they hired a professional to trim their hedge!

5 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I feel for Mrs. Clabburn  knowing she's lost her husband in a most horrific accident that could have been avoided altogether had they hired a professional to trim their hedge!

According to the linked article, they've already set up a GoFundMe for the funeral expenses, so maybe a landscaper wasn't in their budget?

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Blergh said:

My daughter's father-in-law had a much better outcome from a similar accident because he was not alone. Still. Yes. If you can possibly afford it, support a local professional. And if you can't afford it, you can't afford to risk getting hurt either. Such a waste of a life. So tragic for those left behind. 

7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Or not been operating it 10 feet in the air without someone around.  Horrible death that was avoidable.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

According to the linked article, they've already set up a GoFundMe for the funeral expenses, so maybe a landscaper wasn't in their budget?

They usually are less expensive to hire for a day than a funeral. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Blergh said:
33 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

They usually are less expensive to hire for a day than a funeral. 

I suppose if even one partner succeeds in preventing a similarly risky endeavor by  pointing out that landscapers and other professionals are "less expensive to hire for a day than a funeral" after hearing about this incident, then John Clabburn will not have died entirely in vain.  😕

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
On 4/11/2021 at 8:23 AM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

LMAO!  Won't ever hear that song the same way again.

X also did a version of Rudolph the red nosed reindeer that was a trip.

Sighs.

Yes! I hate Christmas carols, but I post his rendition on my FB timeline every year. It never gets old:

"You'll go down in history...forever. "You'll go down in history...WHAT!" I'll miss him so much.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I got the impression John Clabburn loved taking care of the landscaping himself.  His wife mentioned he was meticulous with an eye for detail and was admiring how straight the hedges were.  This doesn't sound like a man who wanted a landscaper although, sadly, in this case it would have been better if he had. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I suppose if even one partner succeeds in preventing a similarly risky endeavor by  pointing out that landscapers and other professionals are "less expensive to hire for a day than a funeral" after hearing about this incident, then John Clabburn will not have died entirely in vain.  😕

I've watched enough Dr. G: Medical Examiner to learn that Men + Powertools = Disaster. 

(Not always, of course!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Bernie Madoff died at the age of 82.

I follow an account on Twitter entitled Liza Minelli Outlives.  I heard about Bernie when I logged into Twitter and saw Liza Minelli outlives Bernie Madoff.  A nice way to start the day.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I follow an account on Twitter entitled Liza Minelli Outlives.  I heard about Bernie when I logged into Twitter and saw Liza Minelli outlives Bernie Madoff.  A nice way to start the day.

IS there a story behind that name?  Colour me curious!

Re: Bernie Madoff

56 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Remember when I said in the case of Beverly Cleary that we shouldn't mourn her death, but celebrate her life? Yeah, reverse that for this guy. 

Consider it done!!

giphy-1.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • LOL 8
16 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Former child actor Lee Aaker who played Rusty on The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin has died, age 77.

AWWW!

I remember watching reruns of this show when I was a kid (it turned up on early Saturday mornings back in the 70s).  I wanted a German Shepherd ever since!  Never happened, though I did have great dogs in my life.

I remember Micky Dolenz of The Monkees knew Aaker when they were kids (Dolenz was a child actor too on Circus Boy and IIRC it was filmed on the same lot as The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin).  He said he was a pretty nice kid, but was told that he should be mindful of his reputation because Aaker had one as a brat.  Turns out it wasn't quite true, it was something the adults said to keep him in line.  Dolenz joked in his autobiography that people were probably saying the same things about him to Aaker!

RIP Little Soldier.

miky and lee.jpg

• Love 6

Absolutely shocking news of Helen McCrory passing from cancer from her husband Damian Lewis. 52 is terribly young. I enjoyed her in Peaky Blinders and Harry Potter.