Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I had learned about his death earlier today from a friend, who wrote a biography of Darrow. They had a chance meeting and from that, she worked with him to write about his life. She has only good things to say about him; he was apparently extremely nice. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Alien Star Yaphet Kotto Dead at 81

Sad news.  I enjoyed Mr. Kotto as an actor.  With the deaths of Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt, Ian Holm, and now Yaphet Kotto, Tom Skerritt is the only surviving male main cast member of Alien alongside Sigourney Weaver and Veronica Cartwright.  R.I.P. Mr. Kotto.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved him as the Fed chasing after Robert DeNiro in Midnight Run.

One of my all time favorite movies.  The airport scene is really suspenseful and his smile when they get the bad guy (Dennis Farina) is the best.

• Love 8

FLOVED Mr. Kotto's work, so sad to hear of his passing....

He was Kananga/Mr. Big in my all time fave Bond movie, Live and Let Die

Smokey James in the wonderful but underappreciated Blue Collar

Harvard Blue in Issac Hayes' Truck Turner

Rest well, sir!

• Love 7
23 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Henry Darrow from The High Chaparral and Daytime Emmy winner for Santa Barbara has died, age 87.

As time passes, it's inevitable that more and more TV faces from my early childhood will die but it causes a pang in my heart anyway. I'd prefer to think they're living on a farm upstate or something. High Chaparral wasn't a favorite show but I enjoyed what I remember seeing...I think what I remember seeing of Henry Darrow is colorful outfits. How I knew they were colorful when we had black & white TV until I was in high school, I don't know, but his clothes had patterns, and I inferred the rest. 

It's hard to believe westerns dominated TV during the 1950s & 60s when there are so few, if any, now. Longmire is the only one I can think of.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, ABay said:

It's hard to believe westerns dominated TV during the 1950s & 60s when there are so few, if any, now. Longmire is the only one I can think of.

Sometimes when my mom and I are watching some older series, we'll see actors that look familiar and we'll go looking through their TV and film credits, and there's a whole lot of westerns in there at some point. It's amazing how many actors got their start on westerns back in the day. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, ABay said:

It's hard to believe westerns dominated TV during the 1950s & 60s when there are so few, if any, now.

First show I ever saw in colour was Bonanza.  When I was growing up Westerns were on the wane but there were still a fair number around.  I don't remember though ever watching The High Chaparral. I remember Henry Darrow more from the tons of guest spots he did over the years.  One of those people who, for me, I always knew the face but wouldn't have known the name.

• Love 6

I'm an old school geek; one my gateways to anime was Star Blazers, the American dubbed version of Space Battleship Yamato that was shown in the late 70s and early 80s. It was something more than the typical afterschool cartoons. More complex animation, not as cheesy, not as simplistic, and the story didn't seem primarily aimed at little kids. I eventually acquired bootleg copies on VHS (the official DVD box sets are like $185 each!) although I don't have a VHS player that's actually hooked up anymore. Voice actress Amy Howard Wilson who played Nova, the main female lead, has died at age 65. Sigh. I still remember her character's voice.

"We only have one year to save Earth!"

• Love 1

Disgraced conductor James Levine has died. He was the celebrated director of the Met and the Boston Symphony Orchestra whose career had mostly wound down because of health problems until he was accused of sexual improprieties in 2017. Another talented performer whose abuse of young men was whispered about for literally decades before anything was done. The obituary in the WaPost, which I won't link, acknowledged why his career ended at the beginning and then spends the rest of the article describing his career in rapturous, glowing terms. Just completely disrespectful of his victims. 

I loved George Segal in Just Shoot Me! and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?  It's great he was able to work right up until the end; it sounds like he was doing well, but then needed bypass surgery and couldn't pull through.

• Love 3

George segal very underrated.  

I rewatched just shoot me last year and it holds up very well except for the donald trump references.  

But he has been in a ton of stuff.  Including an after school special not my kid we all watched, and mocked, back in middle school.  Also on the goldbergs now  I imagine they'll do a tribute to him.  He and the main character adam are close on the show

And as we know from the simpsons, he plays the banjo

• Love 4

Very sorry to hear about George Segal.  I remember him very well also from Just Shoot Me and from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.   As said above, I am also glad he was able to stay so active well into his later years.   Rest in Peace Sir.

• Love 6

On March 23, 2021, it was revealed that Mr.  Kim Tyler who played Kyle( the eldest of the Nash family's four  sons   on Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1965-1967)) died on February 10 at age 66 after a long battle with cancer.  Amazingly enough, he was first regular cast member of that series to die- as even the performers playing the parents  Patricia Crowley (born 1933) and Mark Miller (born 1924) are still living as of this writing! 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kim-tyler-please-dont-eat-231212210.html

George Segal had a very small part in the all star 1963 WW2movie THE LONGEST DAY. He played one of the soldiers who scaled the Point du Hoc cliffs along with Robert Wagner, Paul Anka, Fabian and Tommy Sands. Segal is left of Wagner:

IMG_20210324_151549683.thumb.jpg.1194a24ef8a234e908035ab1ca313a95.jpg

ETA: What I like about the scene above is while Sands and Anka are in front talking, Segal and Wagner are behind looking at them amused like "Get a load of these singers trying to act!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Popples said:

My favorite line of his that I always say with the movie is, "How much you sellin' that weed for, old man?"

“Daddy, you made that grace your bitch!”

Always loved how by the end of the movie the grandma (Jane Lynch) was able to tame them into perfect little angels.

• Love 4

No no no no.  Not Lucille Bluth.  And it will be frustrating for me to watch some of the male Arrested Development stars talk about how great she is given how they just rolled over her bad experiences with Tambor while filming the series.