Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

There's a store here in Las Vegas called DuBarry. It's been around for decades. sells jewelry and gowns and the owner has been in the music business for a long time as a singer. Pre-pandemic they used to have a big sale about once a month and have performances by Motown cover groups, and...Mary Wilson. She always came dressed to the nines and sang like she was on the biggest stage, not doing it for a dozen or so people who got to see her for free. No one seems to have uploaded any of that, astonishingly.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

I didn't know until yestereday that my dad was a huge fan of the Supremes. He talked about how great they were and their songs. It was kind of cool to hear him talk about it. I listened to some and he's right. They were awesome. RIP Mary Wilson. My dad says thanks for being so awesome.

• Love 17
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I didn't know until yestereday that my dad was a huge fan of the Supremes. He talked about how great they were and their songs. It was kind of cool to hear him talk about it. I listened to some and he's right. They were awesome. RIP Mary Wilson. My dad says thanks for being so awesome.

I'm guessing your dad is my age. My daughters have probably never heard me talk about the Supremes either, but throughout the past couple of days every time Mary Wilson's passing was announced and they'd play a clip of one of their songs, I'd start dancing and singing along --knowing every word, and remembering singing along in high school.

• Love 12

My Dad ended up sitting next to Englebert Humperdinck years ago on a transatlantic flight and said he was one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.  I'm glad he and his wife appear to have a deep faith as I'm sure that will help him get through this.  I wish I could have that kind of faith (but I don't - deeply lapsed Catholic here).  And yeah Alzheimers and Covid - horrible.

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Is it wrong I don't want to say "RIP" about him? 

No. I think in this case, with his passing, those who appear to have been Mr. Flynt's victims can now rest in peace! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I once had lunch one table over from Larry Flynt, and he treated his server well.  There, I've managed to come up with something nice to say about Larry Flynt upon his death.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

Influential book editor, and mother of chef Alex, Maria Guarnaschelli has died at 79, While she was best known for her cookbooks, in particular a monumental update of the classic Joy of Cooking, she also edited fiction and nonfiction.

Also science fiction author and professor James E. Gunn at 97. He won a Hugo, and some of you may remember the TV series The Immortals from  the early 70s, which lasted only 1 season and was based on his short story.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:32 PM, letusprocrastinate said:

And from what I've read and seen of the real family, it was Maria that had the prickly personality, not Georg.

Indeed.  

She's well known around the area as being kinda bitchy... my SIL tells a story of Maria flipping her off once as she drove by because SIL was out of her car near the Von Trapp Lodge taking pictures of the view.   

Edited by Callietwo
  • Love 4

Lynn Stalmaster casting director credited with moving Dustin Hoffman into The Graduate, Christopher Reeve as Superman, and John Travolta for Welcome Back, Kotter has died, age 93.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/lynn-stalmaster-dies-academy-award-winning-casting-director-was-93-1234693453/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lynn-stalmaster-dead-legendary-casting-760716

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/lynn-stalmaster-dead-93-casting-director-1234907610/

1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

As it said in the article, they were estranged & he had apparently filed for divorce. So I don’t think it’s that surprising.

And they'd been separated for almost two years (and it wasn't even the first time divorce was filed but the previous time did have a reconciliation while the late Mr. King seemed to have just decided it wasn't worth the angst to save it this time). Of course, I can't help but feel sorry for their sons who DID help take care of their ailing father in his last months but now likely will be pressured by their mother to cough up parts of their 'shares' for her (and it should be noted that his will divvied his assets among his children but nothing specific for any grandchildren- so I'm wondering if the offspring of the two children who predeceased him will attempt seek any shares as his will written while their parents were still living). 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Blergh said:

(and it should be noted that his will divvied his assets among his children but nothing specific for any grandchildren- so I'm wondering if the offspring of the two children who predeceased him will attempt seek any shares as his will written while their parents were still living). 

Did the will specify only to his living children?  The reason I ask is my parents will divides their assets between their 4 children but one of my sister's has died and my parents are under the impression that by not changing their will that means her children will share her portion of the estate.  It's been too hard on them to even think about altering their wills at this point and that possibly may have been the case for Mr King as well.  Your children are NOT supposed to die before you do.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Blergh said:

And they'd been separated for almost two years (and it wasn't even the first time divorce was filed but the previous time did have a reconciliation while the late Mr. King seemed to have just decided it wasn't worth the angst to save it this time). Of course, I can't help but feel sorry for their sons who DID help take care of their ailing father in his last months but now likely will be pressured by their mother to cough up parts of their 'shares' for her (and it should be noted that his will divvied his assets among his children but nothing specific for any grandchildren- so I'm wondering if the offspring of the two children who predeceased him will attempt seek any shares as his will written while their parents were still living). 

It's been a long time since Wills & Trusts, but the current wife may be able to elect for her marital share against the will. As to the offspring of the deceased children, it depends on if their shares were to be divided per capita or per stirpes*. But it appears from reports that she's going to contest the handwritten will on principal. 

*Per stirpes indicates that if any of your beneficiaries aren't living at the time of your death, their share of the estate will pass to their descendants. Per capita distributions can only go to the named beneficiaries and in equal shares.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

Vincent Jackson, former NFL wide receiver, found dead in hotel room, authorities say.

The 38-year-old had been staying at the Homewood Suites in Brandon, about 12 miles outside Tampa, since January 11, according to a news release from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

He was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in 2005, according to the NFL. He ultimately played 12 seasons in the league, spending his first seven with the Chargers and last five with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Edited by Hiyo
On 2/15/2021 at 3:22 PM, praeceptrix said:

A touching article about Cicely Tyson, "Harlem’s ‘Trueborn Queen’" and the people who lined up for hours to say goodbye to her.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/15/nyregion/cicely-tyson-memorial-harlem.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

I agree  yet I found it a bit sad that Miss Tyson'ssurviving daughter who she called 'Joan' in her recently released autobio didn't make her presence known to the reporters and evidently has elected to keep her own counsel about how losing her mother Miss Tyson has been for her.  I truly hope that one termed 'Joan'  has somehow taken comfort and will continue take   comfort in her mother's legendary performing career capped off with that rather intense and  touching final written word even if she elects to not share her POV with the rest of the world (and I hope she's made a good life for herself in whatever vocation she did and will have her own pleasant twilight). 

• Love 4

Carman, the Christian singer died yesterday at the age of 65. I mourn for him and his transformative power over that industry.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2021/february/died-carman-licciardello-christian-singer-las-vegas-tour.html

As for Rush, I listened to him in the early years and there moments of intellectual brilliance from him in discussing conservative politics but as his popularity grew, so did the ego and his penchant for shock jock type behavior. He lost me as a listener years ago and I'm sure he has a  lot to answer for now as I'm sure we all will someday.

• Love 1

I hope that with Mr. Limbaugh's death at least some folks who had previously buried their heads to the medical data  will  now consider how fatal smoking can be and give up that habit. That is all. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I hope that with Mr. Limbaugh's death at least some folks who had previously buried their heads to the medical data  will  now consider how fatal smoking can be and give up that habit. That is all. 

My dad was a smoker, diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer I can’t remember how many years ago now (he died 4 years ago this coming Memorial Day weekend); my mother gave it up while he was alive with the disease, but because she underwent (successful) kidney transplant surgery in 2010 (I think it was) not so much because he developed the disease.

• Love 1