Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Awww Hal Holbrook has died at 95.  He was famous for being Lincoln and a bunch of other things.

But he'll always be Mr. Dixie Carter to me.  And now they reunite.

He had been in theater, movies and television for over seventy years but I read his bio and the thing that struck me the most was that the only memory he had of his parents together was them framed in a doorway right when they left him and his sisters with his paternal grandparents- forever. His father eventually came back but turned out to have serious mental issues and was institutionalized a good part of his later life and his mother. .well Mr. Holbrook NEVER saw her again and, it doesn't appear that she ever attempted to contact him or his sisters again despite the fact that she evidently would live long enough to see him become famous. I 'd like to think he's getting some answers to the questions that haunted him his entire life. RIP, Mr. Holbrook

• Love 2

Dixie Carter's book revealed her to be quite nuts, but also deeply loved, and Hal Holbrook was right in the midst of all of that.  He turned in a number of performances that will stand the test of time, loved and was loved, hung around for 95 years, and worked up until a few years ago.  It's a good life to live, and a good way to go out.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, Quof said:

😞 When the headlines earlier said his family was with him in hospital, I knew it was the end. Dammit.

18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

As unfortunate as it is to acquire a terminal illness at a young age, I feel that he is fortunate to avoid the wracking pain and discomfort that many suffer with similar illness.  Hard for his family/friends now, but they will hopefully gain peace knowing that he was spared the worst.

My cousin died of lung cancer at 51 just two weeks ago, 13 months after his terminal diagnosis. He went through a hell of a lot in those 13 months. Shocking to see how fast Diamond went, after the same diagnosis.

12 minutes ago, Llywela said:

My cousin died of lung cancer at 51 just two weeks ago, 13 months after his terminal diagnosis. He went through a hell of a lot in those 13 months. Shocking to see how fast Diamond went, after the same diagnosis.

Diamond's cancer did not originate in the lungs. When I had stage IV cancer it had not yet reached the lungs but was millimeters from doing so. Without treatment I was given 6 months. A friend's sister has been battling cancer that originated elsewhere and did reach her lungs, but the doctors are still treating her, which has been an extremely terrible ordeal that is not likely to result in anything like a "cure," but she is determined to live and to teach her med school students. So Diamond's time between diagnosis and death seems right to me in that once it reaches the lungs, options are grim. But still, 44 is too young. 

• Useful 7
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Dixie Carter's book revealed her to be quite nuts, but also deeply loved, and Hal Holbrook was right in the midst of all of that.  He turned in a number of performances that will stand the test of time, loved and was loved, hung around for 95 years, and worked up until a few years ago. It's a good life to live, and a good way to go out.

Regarding the bolded: Hal Holbrook’s last acting role, according to IMDb, was his appearance in a 2017 episode of the  Hawaii Five-0 reboot. His character died before the opening credits & was a survivor of the attack on Pearl Harbor, who knew & served in the Navy with Steve’s paternal grandfather Steven, who was a victim of the attack. Mr. Holbrook’s hair was so “poufy” in his scene, I remember many fans commenting it looked more like a female hairstyle than a male hairstyle.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Llywela said:

😞 When the headlines earlier said his family was with him in hospital, I knew it was the end. Dammit.

So did I. But it still stinks. RIP Captain Tom Moore.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Awww Hal Holbrook has died at 95.  He was famous for being Lincoln and a bunch of other things.

But he'll always be Mr. Dixie Carter to me.  And now they reunite.

I spent a lovely afternoon at the Holbrook/Carter house way back in the day.  A friend of mine was friends with one of her daughters.  He was quite delightful (Hal... although my friend is also quite delightful). 

• Love 20
13 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I spent a lovely afternoon at the Holbrook/Carter house way back in the day.  A friend of mine was friends with one of her daughters.  He was quite delightful (Hal... although my friend is also quite delightful). 

How lucky you are to have had that opportunity!

BTW, it seems Mr. Holbrook actually had died on January 23rd but his survivors held off the news until he had been buried next to Miss Carter in her Tennessee hometown. Even though I don't think they would have been in danger of being overwhelmed by fans or paparazzi (and that's not factoring COVID), I'm glad they were able to give him a good sendoff on evidently his/their own terms.

• Love 11
On 1/28/2021 at 9:21 PM, DollEyes said:

Extraordinary doesn't even begin to describe Cicely Tyson, as an artist nor as a person. She was one of the first people I ever saw on TV who looked like me, because of The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, which is currently on HBO.

Thanks for the HBO tip.  I haven't seen that movie since it came out and would love to revisit it.

• Love 2

Eva Coutaz, whose Harmonia Mundi  record label produced some of my favorite LPs (yes, I'm old), has died from complications of renal failure at the age of 77. Under her aegis, Harmonia Mundi helped nurture the careers of some fantastic musicians and drive the Early Music revival. Until I read the obituary, I had no idea who she was, but I will forever be grateful to her for enriching my life (and draining my pocketbook, as those records were not cheap!).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/04/arts/music/eva-coutaz-dead.html

• Love 1

That one actually made me gasp.

Unlike a lot of other older celebrities who, when they die, make me think "I thought they died years ago," Plummer was visible to the end. 91 is a good age and he lived a good life.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, ABay said:

That one actually made me gasp.

Me too.  I was just thinking about him the other day.  I knew he was up there in age but he was so active in good movies lately.

So sad.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Mr. Plummer had a very long and varied career but, for better or worse, he was mostly identified as the idealized Captain Von Trapp in Sound of Music (1965) and  this caused him to chomp at the bit for quite sometime but it seems he finally made his peace with that part of his legacy (not unlike Tina Louise as done in recent years as Ginger in Gilligan's Island after many years of scoffing at it). He had his flaws but he was definitely quite talented to the end. RIP, Mr. Plummer.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Way too young. 😞

Re: Christopher Plummer

A talented, charismatic actor, the oldest Best Actor Oscar winner, and star of fantastic films such as The Sound of Music and Knives Out. I hope no one minds me saying this, but hot damn, he was gorgeous as Captain von Trapp. Thanks for the wonderful memories, Mr. Plummer, especially this one:

60419040d5f8990a6fa058a62aa4c1d7.gif

That really is one of the best gifs of Captain von Thirst Trapp.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 15
13 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Way too young. 😞

Re: Christopher Plummer

A talented, charismatic actor, the oldest Best Actor Oscar winner, and star of fantastic films such as The Sound of Music and Knives Out. I hope no one minds me saying this, but hot damn, he was gorgeous as Captain von Trapp. Thanks for the wonderful memories, Mr. Plummer, especially this one:

60419040d5f8990a6fa058a62aa4c1d7.gif

We will always love you, Captain von Trapp.

That scene alone never fails to turn me on.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 13
23 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I love Plummer as Klingon General Chang in STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY just devouring scenery: "Unleash the dogs of war and CRY HAVOK!!!"

And no doubt these two Montreal native thespians had crossed paths if not had been jovial colleagues beforehand. Even though they were playing sworn mortal foes, one can't ignore the chemistry here!

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, kittykat said:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2021/02/christopher-plummer-dead/

Leachman, Tyson, Holbrook and now Plummer.  2021 is coming for the old guard.

Sadly you might be right.  

27 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I hope no one minds me saying this, but hot damn, he was gorgeous as Captain von Trapp.

If we could appreciate Robert Conrad and his oh so tight pants as Jim West, we certainly can raise a glass to the thirstiness of Christopher Plummer's Captain von Trapp.  

R.I.P. Mr. Plummer

• Love 24
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

And no doubt these two Montreal native thespians had crossed paths if not had been jovial colleagues beforehand. Even though they were playing sworn mortal foes, one can't ignore the chemistry here!

They'd known each other for years.  Prior to Plummer's Broadway debut in 1954, Shatner was Plummer's understudy in a production of Henry V at the Stratford Theatre in Ontario and had to take over after Plummer got kidney stones.

As for The Sound of Music, two of the big reasons he was convinced to take the role (and he had to be convinced) was he admired Julie Andrews (he once called seeing her sing "I Could Have Danced All Night" on stage "A shimmering moment of magic"), and he was allowed to rewrite parts of the script, in particular relating to the character of Georg von Trapp.  He thought as originally written the character was too wishy-washy and one-dimensional.  When the movie came out, the real von Trapp kids were not happy with how their dad was portrayed and publicly said that he was a caring father who was very involved in their lives.  And from what I've read and seen of the real family, it was Maria that had the prickly personality, not Georg.

Also, random fact about TSOM:  Someone who really wanted that role was Yul Brynner, and in one respect he was better qualified for the job because he was a guitarist.  They had to teach Plummer how to play the guitar and he didn't like it, partly because he was a concert-level pianist and it hurt his fingers.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Useful 9
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh, yes. So many great moments. Honestly, no one else could have played Captain von Thirst Trapp better. 😉 

Oh man.  The Sound of Music came on tv every year like... what around Easter?  And holy cow I thought he was just the dreamiest.  Von Thirst Trapp indeed!

RIP Mr. Plummer

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Oh man.  The Sound of Music came on tv every year like... what around Easter?  And holy cow I thought he was just the dreamiest.  Von Thirst Trapp indeed!

RIP Mr. Plummer

Still does, on the Sunday before Christmas, on ABC.

The Ten Commandments is the movie that shows up at Easter, I believe also on ABC.

• Love 9

Aside from Captain Von Trapp, my favorite Christopher Plummer role is probably as the narrator of the cartoon Madeline.

"In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines."

RIP Mr. Plummer

• Love 13

Another TSOM story:  When they were filming in Austria, the real Maria was there (she's actually in the movie; as Julie Andrews is leaving the convent she can be seen walking in the courtyard in the background, from left to right, with one of her grandchildren).  When she met Christopher Plummer, she shocked him by kissing him on the lips and telling him he was better-looking than her husband.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
She was right around 60 at the time; he was in his mid-30s
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1

Tweet from Chris Evans who played Christopher Plummer's grandson in Knives Out.

37 minutes ago, Popples said:

Aside from Captain Von Trapp, my favorite Christopher Plummer role is probably as the narrator of the cartoon Madeline.

"In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines."

RIP Mr. Plummer

Thank you for this! I had forgotten Christopher Plummer narrated Madeline.  

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Another TSOM story:  When they were filming in Austria, the real Maria was there (she's actually in the movie; as Julie Andrews is leaving the convent she can be seen walking in the courtyard in the background, from left to right, with one of her grandchildren).  When she met Christopher Plummer, she shocked him by kissing him on the lips and telling him he was better-looking than her husband.

Can't blame her for that. If I had the chance I would have done the same thing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Still does, on the Sunday before Christmas, on ABC.

The Ten Commandments is the movie that shows up at Easter, I believe also on ABC.

I remember in the old days with 3.5 (.5 because it was iffy if we could get the PBS channel) TV channels, we were so excited for when the Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music came on every year.

The 10 commandments always aired on Easter weekend. Back in 2009 I was doing a long consulting project in West Palm Beach and I spent several weekends staying with my husbands now late grandparents as they were New York Jews who retired to South Florida (all the Seinfeld episodes were so true to life). One of those weekends was Easter Weekend (which I didn’t realize was Easter weekend because I am a really lapsed Catholic). My beloved grandfather and myself watched the Ten Commandments together - it is a special memory because of the personal bond he and I shared.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Love 7