Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

And a thousand 'Is Timmy down the well again?" jokes were spawned.

BW Manilow, I had to check but yes, it was that episode. I always hoped they would bring the character back for another guest spot, they could have worked her into just about any episode as the B or C story. Heck, they brought back or mentioned the cat again later. Maybe she cost too much. At least she got a free week in Hawai'i.

• Love 2
Just now, DearEvette said:

RIP Miss Cicely.  She kicked down many a door.  What a legend.

She   missed Miss Jane Pittman's 110-year milestone by 14 years!  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that she was in the process of composing her own autobiography not too long ago. If that's the case, I hope there's an heir who will put it together and share what Miss Tyson's insights were. RIP, Miss Tyson! 

• Love 7
Just now, DearEvette said:

Yup it was just released last week.  She got to tell her story before she left. 

WHOA! That's about as good timing as Wolfman Jack's written  autobio as well as the documentary of Rose Marie's life and career! Atta woman, Miss Tyson! 

• Love 8

It will be interesting to see if the late Miss Tyson   expressed her POV re her marriage to Miles Davis having been performed on Bill Cosby's home in 1981 and whether she had regrets re her dealings with either or both of them after the marriage crashed (and the world would find out both of these individuals' true characters). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was impressed by her interview in The New York Times Magazine just a few weeks ago. She briefly discusses her relationships with Bill Cosby and Miles Davis.

One of her earliest TV appearances was on an "ahead of its time" drama series called East Side, West Side as a social worker and colleague of George C. Scott. Too bad the series didn't last longer. 

R.I.P.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

This is a quote from the New York Times' obituary for Ms. Tyson:

“She’s our Meryl Streep,” Vanessa Williams told Essence in 2013. “She was the person you wanted to be like in terms of an actress, in terms of the roles she got and how serious she took her craft. She still is.”

I get what Ms. Williams is trying to say, but honestly, it's backwards: if anything, Meryl Streep is a white Cecily Tyson (only not as good an actress, in my opinion).

I'm probably nitpicking and/or not making any sense due to stress and insufficient sleep, but the comparison just doesn't sit well with me.

• Love 10

From the linked article: "Eleanor Torrey West, who dedicated her life to preserving Ossabaw Island, a 26,000-acre inheritance off the coast of Georgia so large, lush and varied in terrain that visitors could walk among hardwood forests, palm tree stands and salt water marshes, died on Jan. 17 at her home in Savannah. She was 108."

She lived on the island until she was 103.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/obituaries/eleanor-sandy-torrey-west-dead.html?action=click&block=more_in_recirc&impression_id=fcd40da1-61e6-11eb-9df8-f3eacc5d3a20&index=1&pgtype=Article&region=footer

• Love 2

Science Fiction author Kathleen Ann Goonan has died.

http://file770.com/kathleen-ann-goonan-1952-2021/

She's probably best known for her Queen City Jazz  series.  I met her a couple times at science fiction conventions.  I didn't know her particularly well, but she was always friendly.

Interesting article about the late Mira Furlan and how a lot of folks in her country of origin are now doing their best to pretend she wasn't driven from her home. https://globalvoices.org/2021/01/25/hypocrisy-vs-history-debate-follows-death-of-former-yugoslav-actress-mira-furlan/ 

52 minutes ago, dalek said:

Interesting article about the late Mira Furlan and how a lot of folks in her country of origin are now doing their best to pretend she wasn't driven from her home. https://globalvoices.org/2021/01/25/hypocrisy-vs-history-debate-follows-death-of-former-yugoslav-actress-mira-furlan/ 

I didn't know any of that about her. It's utterly disgusting what was done to her. Antisemitism, sexism, state theft of her property clearly as harassment, unfair firing, being ravaged by the press, etc. And I'm supposing on top of Jewish roots being Croatian married to a Serb qualifies under the general disgusting label of her being punished for loving the "wrong" person. 

It's amazing one could suffer that and portray a character like Delenn, a character all about peace and tolerance. Although Rousseau was very much the opposite, I guess. 

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Another legend. Cicely Tyson.

Sighs...I was literally watching her in Alex Cross tonight when my sister texted me the news!

We were just talking about her a couple of weeks ago.  As two little brown girls growing up in the projects, we heard her name a lot...but we were shallow aholes, always commenting how unattractive she was and how another legend, Diahann Carroll was much better looking.

Now, we see how stupid we were....Ms. Tyson was REGAL, with class and talent to boot.  And that beautiful and flawless dark chocolate skin!

Rest well, lovely lady.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

And a thousand 'Is Timmy down the well again?" jokes were spawned.

BW Manilow, I had to check but yes, it was that episode. I always hoped they would bring the character back for another guest spot, they could have worked her into just about any episode as the B or C story. Heck, they brought back or mentioned the cat again later. Maybe she cost too much. At least she got a free week in Hawai'i.

I thought that was probably the ep she was in. I would bet she was also in the OG Jack Lord version at least once, as well, but I can’t remember a specific ep like with the more recent reboot.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, mariah23 said:

And she was supposed to be on Live with Kelly and Ryan TOMORROW!!  And it may have been pre-taped!

At least if it’s pre-taped, they can still air the appearance with the super-obvious explanation it was recorded before Ms. Tyson’s now-untimely death (what with her autobiography/memoir being released the same week as/the week before). But yeah, the existence of pre-recorded video interviews for promoting the book, while very helpful in most ways are probably now at least a bit awkward, in some respects (“coming back from the grave”, & all that).

• Love 5
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Another legend. Cicely Tyson.

The Legend that was Ms. Cicely Tyson.  Sad, sad, sad to hear of her passing.  Even though Cicely Tyson was 96 years old, I was surprised by this news.  Ms. Tyson was still so active!   Not just acting, but the interviews, magazine covers, the rollout of her book.  Cicely Tyson was a force.  Seeing clips in tribute from Ms. Tyson's remarkable career reminded me of all the movies/TV shows she had done over many years.  I'm happy she left this world while gathering her flowers.  R.I.P. to the one, the only, Ms. Tyson.  

• Love 16

I'm absolutely gutted about Cicely Tyson. I love how she was so vibrant and full of life until the end. She was elegant, stunning, and just pure class. This one really hurts.

Rest In Power, Ms. Tyson.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, mariah23 said:

And she was supposed to be on Live with Kelly and Ryan TOMORROW!!  And it may have been pre-taped!

I forgot, since it was to air today/Friday, the whole episode was pre-taped. Instead of the opening credits it began with an introduction by Kelly Ripa, dressed in black, talking something about how “they” got the news overnight that Cicely Tyson had died yesterday/overnight & she was 1 of the guests on today’s show, which was actually taped on Wednesday. Kelly said they were fortunate to be her last interview.

• Useful 4

The funny thing is just two weeks ago I watched King on TV. Cicely was terrific as Coretta Scott King.

And I just put a hold on her book at the library. Looking forward to reading it.

You know even though it’s been sad saying goodbye to her, Cloris, and Larry King, I’d rather it be people in their 80s/90s when it’s obviously just their time instead of people that go too soon.

• Love 12

Of course what's interesting is that until a few years ago, it wasn't common knowledge that Miss Tyson HAD a daughter. In fact, she kept her personal offstage life SO private that most bios not only omitted the daughter's existence but usually reported that  Miles Davis had been her only spouse but  it turns out that she had been married at least once before him.  I have no idea what kind of life this daughter may have had but I have to admire Miss Tyson for acknowledging that things weren't always easy between the two of them AND by respecting her daughter's privacy by referring to her as 'Joan' within her memoir but not disclosing her actual full name or her current whereabouts. The daughter appears to be roughly 79 years of age and I hope her mother's memoir helps her heal from this loss and give her a more comfortable old age. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

hi guys I'm posting on here because I'm thrilled to have found a platform where you can actually talk about the death of a celebrity. I feel like this is something that not a lot of people can relate to and I was one of these people until Naya Rivera passed away. I think about her every day and sometimes the memory of that horrible time in July just hits me and I feel totally heartbroken for her family and friends. Grieving someone that I've never met was very intense and confusing but most of all it was lonely because I don't know a single person who went through the same thing. The experience of losing her is something that really changed me and it's kind of hard to have no one to share it with... Can anyone relate?

• Love 2

Regarding Larry King: When he originally started at CNN, I thought he was at the top of his game & couldn’t wait to see him interview my favorite celebrities &/or discuss topics I was interested in. Then, as he aged, & his cardiac health worsened (I had always heard he’d had issues with, & supposedly procedures for, not being able to get enough oxygen to his brain because of his cardiac issues), I thought other interviewers were much better & his interviews showed it. It was said upthread that he didn’t like to prepare; as he aged, whether or not it had to do with his health, I thought it showed & his interviews were just “run of the mill”. You never really left enlightened on his topic anymore. 

I also never understood why he would bring up the topic of homosexuality/bisexuality on his show, if it wasn’t newsworthy (& many times when it was newsworthy, for some reason). Anytime I watched him discuss it, it seemed no matter how many times a guest explained the concept, he never really understood why/how 2 men or 2 women could fall in love with each other in the same way that a man & woman (or vice-versa) could fall in love with each other, or how someone could fall in love with men or women equally. He looked like he was processing their answer, & he still didn’t understand it; even if they used the “Explain it to me like I’m in Kindergarten” concept, like was asked in the movie Philadelphia. My only theory is that maybe the idea of homosexuality/bisexuality was so alien to him because he’d been married (to the opposite sex) 7 or 8 times by the time he passed.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding Larry King: When he originally started at CNN, I thought he was at the top of his game & couldn’t wait to see him interview my favorite celebrities &/or discuss topics I was interested in. Then, as he aged, & his cardiac health worsened (I had always heard he’d had issues with, & supposedly procedures for, not being able to get enough oxygen to his brain because of his cardiac issues), I thought other interviewers were much better & his interviews showed it. It was said upthread that he didn’t like to prepare; as he aged, whether or not it had to do with his health, I thought it showed & his interviews were just “run of the mill”. You never really left enlightened on his topic anymore. 

I also never understood why he would bring up the topic of homosexuality/bisexuality on his show, if it wasn’t newsworthy (& many times when it was newsworthy, for some reason). Anytime I watched him discuss it, it seemed no matter how many times a guest explained the concept, he never really understood why/how 2 men or 2 women could fall in love with each other in the same way that a man & woman (or vice-versa) could fall in love with each other, or how someone could fall in love with men or women equally. He looked like he was processing their answer, & he still didn’t understand it; even if they used the “Explain it to me like I’m in Kindergarten” concept, like was asked in the movie Philadelphia. My only theory is that maybe the idea of homosexuality/bisexuality was so alien to him because he’d been married (to the opposite sex) 7 or 8 times by the time he passed.

Forgive me for saying this (but I did say this before his demise), but IMO Mr. King always seemed to be a bit of a dolt even when he was relatively healthy. I mean he'd have folks with exact opposite political POVs on his show the same nights and eagerly cheer BOTH of their platforms  as long as they kissed up to him so that he'd have not been able to think out of his original box re that issue does not come as a surprise to me.

• Love 1

Omg. I mean I did think he was an asshole on those reality shows he appeared on, but God nobody deserves cancer.

But to paraphrase a quote Screech made to comfort Zack about poor Becky the duck, he’s where the cancer and drugs can’t hurt him anymore.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 13

Diamond was a very, very troubled person, but it's both passe and insulting to go the "now he's at least in peace" route, so I won't.  It's kind of a damned if you do/don't situation.  No way is being dead better, but living with severe cancer, severe anger, and countless mistakes in his life wasn't great either. 

Ugh. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Some co-stars react:  (ML and TT must use the same pubicist)

"Deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Dustin Diamond, a true comedic genius," Mark-Paul Gosselaar tweeted. "My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Looking back at our time working together, I will miss those raw, brilliant sparks that only he was able to produce. A pie in your face, my comrade."

"Dustin, you will be missed my man," wrote Mario Lopez. "The fragility of this life is something never to be taken for granted.  Prayers for your family will continue on."

"I am deeply saddened by I the news of my old co-star @realdustindiamond passing," added Tiffany Thiessen. "Life is extremely fragile and it’s something we should never take for granted. God speed Dustin.

As unfortunate as it is to acquire a terminal illness at a young age, I feel that he is fortunate to avoid the wracking pain and discomfort that many suffer with similar illness.  Hard for his family/friends now, but they will hopefully gain peace knowing that he was spared the worst.