Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

From the linked article: "Gen. Nikolai T. Antoshkin, the commander of a perilous helicopter firefighting operation in which he and other pilots braved radiation exposure to contain the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, died on Sunday. He was 78."

I'm old enough to remember the Chernobyl disaster, but I don't recall there being much coverage of the containment efforts. It's incredible that he lived as long as he did. Fuck Covid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/17/world/europe/russia-antoshkin-chernobyl-obituary.html?action=click&block=associated_collection_recirc&impression_id=ae1fddb1-5903-11eb-aed4-9718c94c437d&index=1&pgtype=Article&region=footer

• Love 2
13 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

From the linked article: "Gen. Nikolai T. Antoshkin, the commander of a perilous helicopter firefighting operation in which he and other pilots braved radiation exposure to contain the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, died on Sunday. He was 78."

I'm old enough to remember the Chernobyl disaster, but I don't recall there being much coverage of the containment efforts. It's incredible that he lived as long as he did. Fuck Covid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/17/world/europe/russia-antoshkin-chernobyl-obituary.html?action=click&block=associated_collection_recirc&impression_id=ae1fddb1-5903-11eb-aed4-9718c94c437d&index=1&pgtype=Article&region=footer

I can't wrap my brain around this.  Admittedly, I only know what these pilots did through watching Chernobyl, and I don't know how much artistic license they had, but those helicopter pilots were true heroes.  He literally flew into the reactor that was spewing massive amounts of radiation to put out the fire, yet it was fucking Covid that killed him?  Where do you even go with that?

• Love 10

I didn't know who Phil Spector was until I looked it up. And wow, if some deserved to die of Covid that would be it (not that I'd want anyone to die). But it sounds like he was abusive to all his many wives and his children. Then murdered an actress he barely knew. As other's have said at least his ex's and children no long have to live in fear.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, cynicat said:

I can't wrap my brain around this.  Admittedly, I only know what these pilots did through watching Chernobyl, and I don't know how much artistic license they had, but those helicopter pilots were true heroes.  He literally flew into the reactor that was spewing massive amounts of radiation to put out the fire, yet it was fucking Covid that killed him?  Where do you even go with that?

The book Midnight in Chernobyl is a great read about the disaster and the people who took unbelievable risks to prevent even more widespread devastation.

• Useful 2
16 hours ago, magicdog said:

More Phil Spector weirdness.

I'd read about the HS reunion story before - it made me think this guy was the prototypical Napoleonic complex with shades of inner rage.

He also reminds me a little of Norma Desmond.

Try Citizen Kane! According to Ronnie Spector, her former husband insisted on watching that movie over and over since he seemed to want to model himself after Welles's iconic character (though he didn't let her leave when she'd had enough unlike  how Mr. Kane DID re his own 2nd wife). 

8 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. And as we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Popples said:

I remember when he broke Babe Ruth's record then got a bunch of endorsements back in 1974 but being a kid somewhat living in a bubble at the time (despite living in the Southeast US) ,  I had no idea of anyone else's ugliness towards him having done so . Hence, I  was shocked to read many years later about him having gotten so many death threats when he was getting close to said record, that the reason WHY his mother Estella ran onto the field to embrace him when he actually broke it was to literally be a human shield for her child against any would-be assassins! How horrible that they couldn't just enjoy the moment of the culmination of his having achieved that milestone through athletic skill and determination!  RIP, Mr. Aaron (and I know you're happy to be reunited with Mrs. Aaron)! 

Edited by Blergh
19 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

What's sad is that Mr. Sierra seemed to have SO much potential to be a superstar in the mid-70's but, for whatever reason/s, his career never quite reached those heights after Barney Miller!RIP, Mr. Sierra!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4
49 minutes ago, Blergh said:

What's sad is that Mr. Sierra seemed to have SO much potential to be a superstar in the mid-70's but, for whatever reason/s, his career never quite reached those heights after Barney Miller!RIP, Mr. Sierra!

Very well said!! He had bit parts in many movies and TV episodics, but too few where he was right in the spotlight. Maybe he was too pigeonholed into the "ethnic" roles. In any case, Gregory Sierra was a very engaging and multifaceted actor. My favorite guest roles of his were as the head of a family of vagabonds in The Waltons episode entitled "The Gypsies" and as a lovestruck Armenian piano player (!!) in the Kung Fu episode called "The Stone". The latter was especially great because he got to play a romantic story, which he seldom got to do on screen. God bless him. ❤

• Love 5

From the linked article:

"Rémy Julienne was one of the world's best-known stuntmen, devising the crashes, crunches and collisions of more than 1,400 films.

In many he himself appeared, anonymously of course.

But over a 50-year career he was the body double who took the danger shots for a host of stars including Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Charles Bronson, Alain Delon and Jean-Paul Belmondo. In wig and appropriate clothing he also took on the form of Sophia Loren, Carole Bouquet and Gina Lollobrigida.

He has died in France aged 90 of coronavirus."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55765555

42 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

That leaves Max Gail and Hal Linden as the last survivors of Barney Miller, I believe.

Don't forget Barbara Barrie, who played Barney's wife, Liz.  

Technically, you could include Linda Lavin (Officer Wentworth),  Dino Domenico Natali (Officer Zitelli), Alex Henteloff (as the ambulance chaser Arnold Ripner), Paul Lieber (Detective Dorsey), and Michael Lembeck (Detective Gardino).

• Love 2

He also had Covid 19, right?

Yes. According to this RollingStone article: No cause of death was provided, but King’s death came weeks after it was revealed that the 87-year-old host was battling coronavirus.

Larry seemed like one of those guys who was always old, but never stopping. End of an era.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

That leaves Max Gail and Hal Linden as the last survivors of Barney Miller, I believe.

Another great and favorite 70s series of mine has even fewer, in fact, only one-- The Streets of San Francisco, where only Michael Douglas survives (Karl Malden leaving in 2009, and Richard Hatch in 2017).

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Hal Linden and Barbara Barrie are both scheduled to turn 90 in the not-so-distant future - he in March, she in May.

• Useful 5
47 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Larry King was a unique personality. I remember those stream of consciousness columns he used to write for USA Today. It's amazing he made it to 87 with all of his health problems. R.I.P.

I feel especially sorry for his youngest sons Chance and Cannon who, it must be said, he was a dedicated father to (and who DID help make his twilight years more bearable with their company) and could soon be in the unenviable position of possibly being pressured by their mother Shannon Southwick re his estate!

• Love 3

I loved Barney Miller.  It's in my top 5 of all time favorite shows.  Almost 10 years ago I was going through some health issues and I bought the complete DVD set of the series to help me through.  I do a rewatch about every 18 months, most recently last spring as the lock down began.  I really liked the character of Chano and I was sad that Sierra left the series. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

I loved Barney Miller.  It's in my top 5 of all time favorite shows.  Almost 10 years ago I was going through some health issues and I bought the complete DVD set of the series to help me through.  I do a rewatch about every 18 months, most recently last spring as the lock down began.  I really liked the character of Chano and I was sad that Sierra left the series. 

Emmy-worthy scene: https://youtu.be/OeuAjGTu67c?t=1057

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Emmy-worthy scene: https://youtu.be/OeuAjGTu67c?t=1057

The entire episode was a perfect showcase for Gregory Sierra's talent - and one of the best of the series itself. 46 years later, it is still raw and harrowing.

Mr. Sierra's widow speaks to CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/23/entertainment/gregory-sierra-obituary-trnd/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2DP4mFT1j4H5kx5xcJOOi6NY01airFJAoZBafPPGps0u54wYdzOW4TnOo

• Love 6

Very on-topic, from 2015:

How can a story end well if he winds up in the ground? He is planning to avoid that, he told Harris. King takes four human growth hormone pills every day. People think H.G.H. is illegal because athletes are suspended for using it. It is not, King says, and he feels great. But in case of death, King wants the Ted Williams treatment. He has arranged to have his body frozen and then thawed out when researchers discover a cure for whatever killed him — the so-called cryonics approach. (Unlike Williams, King does not wish to have his dead head cut off.) King told me later that the people behind cryonics are ‘‘all nuts,’’ but at least if he knows he will be frozen he will die with a shred of hope. ‘‘Other people have no hope,’’ King said....

‘If my wife is late for my funeral, I will be very angry.’’

King would love to attend his own funeral. He would watch invisibly over the proceedings and laugh. ‘‘I would like the ceremony to begin, ‘Today we are honoring a 160-year-old man who was caught in bed by an irate husband,’ ’’ King said. ‘‘ ‘And the funeral is late because it took six days to wipe the smile off his face.’ ’’

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Larry King was a unique personality. I remember those stream of consciousness columns he used to write for USA Today. It's amazing he made it to 87 with all of his health problems. R.I.P.

This is only half a joke: I thought he was far older than 87.

I mean he's looked old for decades.  He frequently talked about really old cultural touchstones.  In more recent years, he's looked beyond ancient--he's had that skeletal look I associate with people who've survive into their mid to late 90s.  I guess that must have been at least in part linked to his overall health.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

9c53d8a0aad2dc8e004d574b37474c6e.jpg

I love that fan photo.  There's a warmth in Mr. Sierra's eyes and smile that I don't think even the most talented actors can fake and that makes me think he must have been a lovely person for his fans to be fortunate enough to have met.

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, ElleryAnne said:

I love that fan photo.  There's a warmth in Mr. Sierra's eyes and smile that I don't think even the most talented actors can fake and that makes me think he must have been a lovely person for his fans to be fortunate enough to have met.

It's a great photo. He was a man who overcame poverty and heartbreak - abandoned by his parents when he was just a child and enduring his wife's suicide in 1978 - but the warmth and goodness shone through every role. I was so glad to read that he finished out his life with a happy marriage to a wife who adored him and stepchildren who called him "Dad". He was still getting fan mail! Thankfully, his work will always be around for us to see. 🙏

• Love 17