Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I saw the picture of her that accompanied that article and I first thought, "That's her at 97? Damn, we should all hope to look that good at that age!"

I'd say her later photo is a cautionary tale about the downside of aging with fillers/implants.

phpmmlM8JPM.jpg

rhonda fleming.jpg

• Love 1
On 10/17/2020 at 7:19 PM, legaleagle53 said:

It's not unlike when Toni Tennille moved back to Arizona to be with Daryl Dragon (the Captain) so she could care for him during his final days, even though they had divorced some time prior to that and it meant leaving her own immediate family in order to do so.

Did we ever find out that was, indeed, why Toni Tennille moved back to Arizona prior to ex-husband Daryl Dragon (“The Captain” of The Captain and Tennille)’s death?

I remember posting, I’m pretty sure in this thread after Daryl Dragon died, that Toni Tennille posted to her Facebook page (which she hasn’t really posted to lately, & was probably actually started as a promotional tool for her then-about to be released memoir), kind of suddenly while he was still alive, that she had decided Arizona was more her home, instead of Florida where she (supposedly happily) lived near at least 1 of her sisters following her divorce from Daryl & she was moving back there after maybe a year, or maybe a little more—it didn’t seem like she lived in Florida all that long, to me.

And then, when Daryl Dragon’s death was announced—I think not too long after Toni moved back—I remember also speculating if her sort of sudden decision to move back to Arizona was somehow connected to whatever may have led to Daryl Dragon’s death (he had been having Parkinson’s-like issues for a long time before). But I never heard/read anything conclusively about this.

15 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Did we ever find out that was, indeed, why Toni Tennille moved back to Arizona prior to ex-husband Daryl Dragon (“The Captain” of The Captain and Tennille)’s death?

I remember posting, I’m pretty sure in this thread after Daryl Dragon died, that Toni Tennille posted to her Facebook page (which she hasn’t really posted to lately, & was probably actually started as a promotional tool for her then-about to be released memoir), kind of suddenly while he was still alive, that she had decided Arizona was more her home, instead of Florida where she (supposedly happily) lived near at least 1 of her sisters following her divorce from Daryl & she was moving back there after maybe a year, or maybe a little more—it didn’t seem like she lived in Florida all that long, to me.

And then, when Daryl Dragon’s death was announced—I think not too long after Toni moved back—I remember also speculating if her sort of sudden decision to move back to Arizona was somehow connected to whatever may have led to Daryl Dragon’s death (he had been having Parkinson’s-like issues for a long time before). But I never heard/read anything conclusively about this.

2017 AZCentral Article on Toni Tennille’s Relocation Back to Prescott, AZ, From Lake Mary, FL

To read, click where it says Read More, in small print, under the pic of her in the blue & black top. This article includes a screen grab of her Facebook page where she announced she was moving back from Florida to Arizona; she had lived in Florida from 2014 through 2017. There’s also a Read More link to click on this page.

From CNN: Daryl Dragon’s Obituary He died in January, 2019 (so 2 years after Toni Tennille moved back to Arizona), right after New Year’s, of renal failure.

Based on the 2 articles I’ve linked, I guess it’s still anybody’s guess if Toni Tennille moved back to Arizona because Daryl Dragon was ill/dying or not.

• Love 2

Damn. "Your Love" is one of my favorite '80s tunes. Hate how many '80s stars/musicians we've lost in recent years--it makes me so sad that pieces of my childhood are slowly fading away. Anyway, RIP Mr. Lewis. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, BetterButter said:

James Randi, Magician and Paranormal Debunker, Dies at 92

Love that picture of giant Penn standing next to him! The documentary of James Randi's life "An Honest Liar" is quite good, I don't know if it's currently streaming.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Bummer about losing Randi (aka The Amazing Randi).  The world needs guys like him - debunkers of con men and charlatans!  He essentially carried on Houdini's legacy of debunking fake mystics.    

• Love 4
21 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I went to see him in New Orleans ages ago when I was pregnant. His Mom was in the audience (which had limited seating since it was more of a club like atmosphere) and insisted that I sit with her so I wouldn’t be pushed etc. While enjoying his concert I got to see his baby pictures and hear about his youth. She was very proud of him.  He would occasionally look down at us and roll his eyes Lol. 

• Love 22

Old but sad news for fans of the OG Upstairs/Downstairs.  While on IMDB, I stumbled across the news Christopher Beeny the actor who played Edward, the Bellamy's footman and later chauffeur, died earlier this year (January 3), age 78.  Loved  OG Upstairs/Downstairs, although I never could get into the revisit/sequel/whatever it was, that came about later.  I still remember the episode where Edward, who had been send back to Eaton Place from the war (WWI), suffered from shellshock.  Powerful episode and Beeny did a outstanding job.  R.I.P. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jan/10/christopher-beeny-obituary

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51035015

On 10/29/2020 at 2:27 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Oh no! 1993 Miss America Leanza Cornett has died after a head injury. She was only 49. I'm pretty sure I watched that year and saw her get crowned. Her kids are only teenagers :(.

That’s weird... I thought I’d posted about this the day it was announced (I even checked the Celebrity News thread; it’s not there). Oh well... at least it did get here. Thanks for posting if mine got removed.

• Love 2

I know Mr. Connery had his issues but I have to admire the fact that he came from a rather struggling working class family in Edinburgh and  even though he quickly got on the road to stratospheric success from early adulthood on, he never forgot his family or background but was proud of them his entire life. Also, later on, in 1957, when he performed in Another Time Another Place, he befriended fellow performer Lana Turner which drew the attention  of her thuggish companion Johnny Stampanato who drew a gun on Mr. Connery for his kindness. Without literally missing a beat, he disarmed Mr. Stompanato by knocking the latter flat on his back so hooray for him!  90 is a rather impressive age to reach and one can't help but think William Wallace, Robert the Bruce and Mary, Queen of Scots would have been proud of him trumpeting their nation's autonomy!

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Thank you for posting these.  That first one is especially fabulous.  (Maybe some mainstream TV channel will do the electorate a favour and have a "Sean Connery as James Bond" marathon on Tuesday.)

• Love 6

I love Mike Myers tribute at the beginning of Connery's AFI Lifetime Achievement Award in the mid 2000s. "My dad was my hero and you sir, were my dad's hero."

Connery, Michael Caine and Roger Moore at the 1989 Academy Awards:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 10

So some people on social media have brought up the infamous Barbara Walters interview where he said it wasn't a big deal to hit women.

*tired sigh*

I'm just going to say this once: it's fine not to like someone personally and still enjoy one's work and be sad that they're gone.

And not that I condone what he said, but I don't care so much about what a person says compared to what they actually do. Most of his female costars, like Virginia Madsen's story in @Lugal's post said he was nice to them. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 11

The one woman who said he slapped her was the first wife, and apparently there was a lot of booze involved, not an excuse, but who knows what happened?        The first hit remark was in a 1965 Playboy interview, and later Walters, and about 20 years ago Sean Connery said that he was wrong, and there is no excuse for hitting women.    He had nothing to gain by then, since he had virtually retired.

There is also the time that he was in a movie with Lana Turner, and her gangster boyfriend, Johnny Stompanato came on set with a gun to threaten her, and COnnery disarmed him.     He received threats from Stompanato, and another gangster after Stompanato was killed in the midst of another violent argument with Lana Turner.   

His second wife said that he never even hinted about shoving or hitting her, and she would have left him if he ever did.   She also claims what he said wasn't what he meant, but I'm not sure about that, since he said something similar in the Playboy interview, and the Walters interview. 

RIP Mr. Connery.             

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4