Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

And this is a picture of him in August 2018 where he and other descendants of past presidents gathered in Washington.

The Grandchildren of Former Presidents Group Chat

Some other presidential grandchildren:  "Sadly, I never knew my grandfather."

Lyon Tyler:  "You talking to me?"  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 11
51 minutes ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

And this is a picture of him in August 2018 where he and other descendants of past presidents gathered in Washington.

image.thumb.jpeg.a46af49ed791f0b4ee1eca55470af1cf.jpeg

"There's a good reason I have no memories of   Grandpa giving me piggyback rides around the Oval Office but making graffiti here somewhat makes up for it"- quote that would have been apt for the late Lyon Tyler. 

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

The Grandchildren of Former Presidents Group Chat

Some other presidential grandchildren:  "Sadly, I never knew my grandfather."

Lyon Tyler:  "You talking to me?"  

56 minutes ago, Blergh said:

"There's a good reason I have no memories of   Grandpa giving me piggyback rides around the Oval Office but making graffiti here somewhat makes up for it"- quote that would have been apt for the late Lyon Tyler. 

I tried looking for a group photo, but I couldn’t find one.

Former great game show host Tom Kennedy (him of such notable games as Split Second, Whew!, Password Plus and TPIR, across all networks and syndication) has passed on @ 93-- didn't know if you heard yet; he was the younger brother of the late, great Jack Narz, and brother-in-law of the late, great Bill Cullen.

Here he was from Split Second, from the final episode of his ABC version of that game show (Fri. June 27, 1975):

I hope Mr. Kennedy got to enjoy himself away from the media glare during his evidently long retirement.   BTW, Mr. Cullen was Mr. Kennedy's  brother Jack Narz's onetime brother-in-law via Mr. Narz's first wife Mary Lou Roehfield- the sister of Mr. Cullen's last wife Ann Roehfield Cullen. RIP. Mr. Kennedy.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, BetterButter said:

2020 can just quit it, honestly.

Just because Rob Manfred has decided to murder actual baseball and replace it with Home Run Derby, that's no reason for Death to kill off pretty much every living Hall of Famer.  (Okay, that's an exaggeration, but this is IMO getting ridiculous.)

In case you missed it, the death toll so far includes the Greatest Pitcher Ever, the Most Competitive Pitcher Ever, one of the most successful pitchers ever, the Greatest 2nd Baseman Ever (arguably the greatest infielder ever) and a couple of 3000-hit men, for good measure. (I actually think I may have missed Kaline;  in any event, seeing his name in the list today was a shock.  Whether that speaks ill of my attention to the news or my memory of same is a guess, I guess.)

Meanwhile, Noted Jerk Pete Rose and the 1990s Cheater Brigade (Clemens, Bonds, McGwire) continue to pollute this planet, with their supporters continuing to whine about their IMO justified exclusion from Cooperstown's halls.  Probably some columnist is at this very moment using the occasion of Little Joe's passing to call on Manfred to lift the ban on Rose, before it's too late!  Ugh.

(I don't think that will work, though.  It's not as if Rose hit many home runs, after all.  And as we know, home runs are all that matter!  Chicks Dig the Long Ball!  Manfred isn't going to pause in his crusade to outlaw bunting/base stealing/the curve/reduce games to five innings/whatever else he's got dreamed up for the 2022 CBA to think about honoring some dude who hit singles, ffs.)

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 4
On 10/11/2020 at 6:19 PM, GreekGeek said:

I remember watching You Don't Say, hosted by Tom Kennedy, in the 1960's. He always seemed pleasant and able to put the contestants at ease.

He also had an incredible ear for languages. I remember being particularly impressed with his ability to pronounce clues in French and Italian. He had a flawless accent in both languages, but especially in French.  Merci beaucoup et reposez en paix, M.  Kennedy!

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, BetterButter said:

In the second game I ever attended in person (I don't remember the first because I was 3 and we were just there because one of the players was from my future high school and my father had been his basketball team's scorekeeper), Joe Morgan had five hits in an extra-inning loss.  I wish I could say I remember that without having looked at the box score on Baseball Reference a few years ago.  He was getting toward the end of his career, but had a really good season that year and I was disappointed when he was traded to the Phillies, though I guess it made sense and it helped him play in another World Series.

I was never really bothered by his announcing the way many were, but I remember that early in his broadcasting career (pre-ESPN), my grandparents would mute the TV and turn the radio on!  For at least part of that period, he was doing play-by-play rather than color commentary, which was odd to hear clips of because he did the latter for so long.

• Love 4

The first time I saw Conchata Ferell (and James Cromwell) was in Hot L Baltimore and I loved her. Not enough to watch Two and a half men, but I don't even love my cat enough for that.

Edited by ABay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 21

The first thing I remember her in was E/R,  a sitcom about doctors in 1984. She was a nurse with the same attitude. Elliot Gould was the star but George Clooney was a doctor as well. They were also directed by Peter Bonerz.

• Love 6

It sure sounds as though the recently deceased Miss Farrell was a sorely needed calming influence (and  did the best any human being could have done to have been a peacekeeper) on the Two and a Half Men set! The tribute to her also marks the first time in a long time that Charlie Sheen has said or done anything positive and selfless in the public eye so she must have been a powerful influence (even if she ultimately wasn't successful in stopping the trainwrecks from happening)!  Whether it was a wryly comic role (as in this show) or a more dramatic take (as in LA Law), I always enjoyed Miss Farrell's performances and she never failed to get me to smile even when any of her characters did frustrating or annoying actions! RIP, Miss Farrell (and I'm thankful she's no longer suffering). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 14

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of the people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes! 🎵

I saw the Broadway production with the rotating stage back in the early 90s. Almost all the principal parts were played by the understudies and it was still amazing. Not just because the understudies would have been the leads anywhere else, but through the sheer power of the lyrics.

• Love 13

From NBC 4 Los Angeles: Bernard Cohen, Lawyer Who Represented Lovings in Landmark Marriage Case, Dies

He was 86. He had Parkinson’s Disease; cause of death was complications of the disease.

He & colleague Phil Hirschkop represented Richard and Mildred Loving, a white man and black woman who were convicted in Virginia in 1959 of illegally cohabiting as man and wife and ordered to leave the state for 25 years.

Cohen and Hirschkop represented the Lovings as they sought to have their conviction overturned. It resulted in the Supreme Court's unanimous 1967 Loving v. Virginia ruling, which declared anti-miscegenation laws unconstitutional.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To belatedly, & finally, remove an unnecessary capital letter.
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I saw the Broadway production with the rotating stage back in the early 90s. Almost all the principal parts were played by the understudies and it was still amazing. Not just because the understudies would have been the leads anywhere else, but through the sheer power of the lyrics.

The show, and now soundtrack never fail to bring me to tears.  The lyrics to the music are the primary reason for that.  RIP Mr. Kretzmer.

• Love 6
On 10/6/2020 at 7:02 PM, Irlandesa said:

I don't really know much about Van Halen but one thing that made me think fondly of him was the fact that he and Valerie stayed close after their divorce.  They eve attended each other's weddings to other people. I know it's not always possible or wise to do that but I always admire those who do--especially when they have kids. 

I secretly hoped he'd show up on her cooking show. 

May he RIP.

Evidently, Miss Bertinelli and their son Wolfgang were able to help Mr. Van Halen's  Janie wife help tend to and be with  Ed while the pater familias's fight with cancer was coming to an end. It's  great they all were able to set aside their differences to help make the last part of his life as comfortable as possible. However,  I can't help but think of the irony that were the world not under its affliction, it's likely the rags would have done their best to stir teapot tempests re both sets of past and current spouses during that trying time so that's one  blessing  but, instead they all got left alone by those who didn't need to mind stuff that was none of their business  .

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Evidently, Miss Bertinelli and their son Wolfgang were able to help Mr. Van Halen's  Janie wife help tend to and be with  Ed while the pater familias's fight with cancer was coming to an end. It's  great they all were able to put together their differences to help make the last part of his life as comfortable as possible. However,  I can't help but think of the irony that were the world not under its affliction, it's likely the rags would have done their best to stir teapot tempests re both sets of past and current spouses during that trying time so that's one  blessing  but, instead they all got left alone by those who didn't need to mind stuff that was none of their business  .

It's not unlike when Toni Tennille moved back to Arizona to be with Daryl Dragon (the Captain) so she could care for him during his final days, even though they had divorced some time prior to that and it meant leaving her own immediate family in order to do so.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Blergh said:

She was married six times (the last two marriages ended in her being widowed) and had one child by her first marriage who eventually would make her a great-great-grandmother. Yet, she'd end her career relatively early so that it's hard to imagine that she made it to 97! RIP, Miss Fleming! 

I saw the picture of her that accompanied that article and I first thought, "That's her at 97? Damn, we should all hope to look that good at that age!"

• Love 5