Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

Here is Jimmy Cliff's version of I Can See Clearly Now:

We were just talking about this song in another thread on this site recently, too, oddly enough. I mentioned it there, but Neil Finn also did a good cover of the song:

• Love 4

ETA.

I found out they were married when I saw a Comedy Central rerun of when she hosted SNL back in the late 80s. Also I remember the kid who joined ONE DAY AT A TIME after Mackenzie Phillips left talked about meeting him on Entertainment Tonight.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't really know much about Van Halen but one thing that made me think fondly of him was the fact that he and Valerie stayed close after their divorce.  They eve attended each other's weddings to other people. I know it's not always possible or wise to do that but I always admire those who do--especially when they have kids. 

Not only that, but Valerie did say in an interview once that Eddie and Tom (her current husband) would golf together with Wolfie. I'm thinking of Eddie's brother and lifelong musical partner, Alex. 🙏

• Love 17

Eddie Van Halen and Johnny Nash  leaving this world the very same day?! I can't say I ever expected that! I wonder if they ever met ?Well, I'd like to think they can make glorious music together even if the styles weren't totally in synch! 

P.S. I know Mr. Van Halen had his issues but, in addition to being a brilliant musician who fantastically melded his classical musical background into rock via his seemingly limitless expertise on the electric guitar, it also needs to be said, despite everything, he was a dedicated father to his son Wolfgang (whose name was no accident but a tribute to one of the elder Mr. Van Halen's musical heroes). 

Edited by Blergh
Correcting Johnny Nash for Jimmy Cliff
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

ETA.

I found out they were married when I saw a Comedy Central rerun of when she hosted SNL back in the late 80s. Also I remember the kid who joined ONE DAY AT A TIME after Mackenzie Phillips left talked about meeting him on Entertainment Tonight.

I think Valerie always called him Ed or Edward; never Eddie. As I remember, another wife (or girlfriend) in Van Halen (maybe Eddie’s brother’s wife) was also named Valerie. So, at 1 time there were 2, “Valerie Van Halen”s in the world (assuming both Valeries used the name Van Halen legally even if they used their maiden names professionally, like Ms. Bertinelli).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Cliff leaving this world the very same day?! I can't say I ever expected that! I wonder if they ever met ?Well, I'd like to think they can make glorious music together even if the styles weren't totally in synch! 

Jimmy Cliff is still with us, thank goodness. It was Johnny Nash who died. The video of Jimmy Cliff was posted because Nash wrote the song.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54444297

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Cliff leaving this world the very same day?! I can't say I ever expected that! I wonder if they ever met ?Well, I'd like to think they can make glorious music together even if the styles weren't totally in synch! 

P.S. I know Mr. Van Halen had his issues but, in addition to being a brilliant musician who fantastically melded his classical musical background into rock via his seemingly limitless expertise on the electric guitar, it also needs to be said, despite everything, he was a dedicated father to his son Wolfgang (whose name was no accident but a tribute to one of the elder Mr. Van Halen's musical heroes). 

It was Johnny Nash who passed away and not Jimmy Cliff.

2 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Jimmy Cliff is still with us, thank goodness. It was Johnny Nash who died. The video of Jimmy Cliff was posted because Nash wrote the song.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54444297

I was the one who posted the Jimmy Cliff video.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

I was the one who posted the Jimmy Cliff video.

Thanks! I was going to credit you as the poster, but my phone gets cranky when I switch screens while replying here (it's probably my fault, not the phone's).

• Love 2
Just now, praeceptrix said:

Thanks! I was going to credit you as the poster, but my phone gets cranky when I switch screens while replying here (it's probably my fault, not the phone's).

You’re welcome! My phone can be like that sometimes as well.

• Love 2

Fuckin' cancer!!🖕🏼🖕🏼

Loved VH and it was my deepest hope that one day they'd reunite with Michael Anthony for a tour.

Besides his bad assed guitar play (Chile, his wicked, nasty licks of Intruder before going into Oh Pretty Woman!!), he had a mischievous grin which was so endearing.

I remember reaming out a dude who was stupid enough to try to put me on the spot to name 5 VH songs just cause I am an AA female and I was wearing one of my fave VH t-shirts at the time.  Not only did I give him 10 tracks but I lectured him about assuming shit...but I digress.

Anyway, hugs to Alex, Janie, Wolfie and Valerie...RIP Eddie Van Halen.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • LOL 4
  • Love 18
7 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

"I Can See Clearly Now" is such a great  feel good song. I'll definitely be playing it a lot when the pandemic is over!

Oh man this is so true:

That Tweet is so spot on, especially the Diamond Dave years for me (although "Right Now" is awesome too.) Its really too bad that all the personality clashes got in the way. I loved their chemistry and Eddie's boyish grin in most of their videos. 

• Love 7

I Can See Clearly Now (Johnny Nash 1972 version)was somewhat of a theme song for me growing up.  I had some tough times and this song really helped me hang in there. Even now, when I hear it, I feel better.  There is something very special about that song and the artist.  Thank you, Johnny Nash.

I’m going to spend this coming weekend playing music from Van Halen and Nash celebrating their contributions to the music world.  

• Love 14
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Eddie's brother in photo above shares a striking resemblance to Adam Driver.  

OMG! That's who Alex resembles. Thank you!

To think neither of those little boys above knew one word of English when coming to the US in 1962. Talk about ending up living the proverbial "American Dream".

I feel for EVH's current wife, his ex Valerie Bertinelli, and his son. But it must hurt even more for Alex as I believe Eddie was his last living immediate relative. And they were always close.  😞 

• Love 9

What neither of the linked obits on Whitey Ford said about him was that he’d had Alzheimer’s disease the last few years (Source: KTLA-TV, Los Angeles). I think it’s kinda cool he passed while watching the Yankees in a playoff game (I don’t know the score; hope the Yanks won in his memory); sort of like the irony of NFL Hall of Famer/Broadcaster Frank Gifford dying on the opening day of the NFL season in 2015.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

What neither of the linked obits on Whitey Ford said about him was that he’d had Alzheimer’s disease the last few years (Source: KTLA-TV, Los Angeles). I think it’s kinda cool he passed while watching the Yankees in a playoff game (I don’t know the score; hope the Yanks won in his memory); sort of like the irony of NFL Hall of Famer/Broadcaster Frank Gifford dying on the opening day of the NFL season in 2015.

6 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

If Whitey passed last night, it was during a Yankee win to keep their season alive.

The cause of death was not immediately announced, but he had suffered from dementia for several years.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-whitey-ford-obit-chairman-of-the-board-20201009-u2eyj5fmo5hhtjhx7j5k6z73lm-story.html

1 minute ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

The cause of death was not immediately announced, but he had suffered from dementia for several years.

Yes. I mentioned that in my previous post, in the linked part. He specifically had Alzheimer’s disease.

• Useful 1
59 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Yes. I mentioned that in my previous post, in the linked part. He specifically had Alzheimer’s disease.

Just as a PSA since Alzheimer's is frequently used to describe any form of dementia, Alzheimer's disease can only be definitively diagnosed by examining the brain tissue at autopsy.  But extensive medical evaluation can result in a presumptive diagnosis.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Just as a PSA since Alzheimer's is frequently used to describe any form of dementia, Alzheimer's disease can only be definitively diagnosed by examining the brain tissue at autopsy.  But extensive medical evaluation can result in a presumptive diagnosis.

Thank you for that information.

Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr, grandson of John Tyler, the 10th President of the United States, has died, age 95.  Mr. Tyler's death comes 175 years after his grandfather left the White House.  Mr. Tyler's younger brother, Harrison Ruffin Tyler, is still alive and is President Tyler's last surviving grandchild.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/us/john-tyler-grandson-death-trnd/index.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/10/09/president-john-tylers-grandson-lyon-gardiner-tyler-jr-dies-95/5935788002/

• Useful 7
17 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr, grandson of John Tyler, the 10th President of the United States, has died, age 95.  Mr. Tyler's death comes 175 years after his grandfather left the White House.  Mr. Tyler's younger brother, Harrison Ruffin Tyler, is still alive and is President Tyler's last surviving grandchild.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/us/john-tyler-grandson-death-trnd/index.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/10/09/president-john-tylers-grandson-lyon-gardiner-tyler-jr-dies-95/5935788002/

And this is a picture of him in August 2018 where he and other descendants of past presidents gathered in Washington.

image.thumb.jpeg.a46af49ed791f0b4ee1eca55470af1cf.jpeg

• Useful 6