Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

2 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Because 2020 just can't resist the urge to multitask. RIP, Ms. Reddy and Mr. Davis, and give them one gorgeous concert up there in Heaven!

• Love 13

I knew Mac Davis wrote, ‘In the Ghetto’ - a timeless, terrifying song - but I didn’t realize how prolific he was.  

And Helen Reddy was a staple on soft rock stations in the ‘70s.

Both at the same time, is a sad day for music.  

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

That’s really sad to hear about Mac Davis.

It really is. Helen Reddy and Mac were two big time artists from my childhood.  I Am Woman was a huge hit but one of my all time favorites was a song by Mac Davis.  I have no idea why I loved that song.  I think I just loved Mac.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It really is. Helen Reddy and Mac were two big time artists from my childhood.  I Am Woman was a huge hit but one of my all time favorites was a song by Mac Davis.  I have no idea why I loved that song.  I think I just loved Mac.

Here is Mac Davis doing In The Ghetto:

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I knew Mac Davis wrote, ‘In the Ghetto’ - a timeless, terrifying song - but I didn’t realize how prolific he was.  

And Helen Reddy was a staple on soft rock stations in the ‘70s.

Both at the same time, is a sad day for music.  

He also wrote A Little Less Conversation along with It’s Hard To Be Humble.

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

I did not know that. Interesting. 

I think my mom's mentioned before how she had a crush on him back in the day. He had curly hair and reminded her of my dad :D. 

Shame to hear of both his passing and Reddy's-may they rest in peace. 

• Love 7

"Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me" was the perfect angst song for my 17 year old dateless self.

" I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar" was the anthem of the second wave of the women's movement.

As if 2020 didn't suck enough.

Here is Helen Reddy singing I Believe in Music, written by Mac Davis., the first commercial recording of the song. (Back when music was about hope and love.)

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=0KoxJp96--w&list=RDAMVM0KoxJp96--w

• Love 14

Helen Reddy & Mac Davis on the same day. That sucks... & sorta reminds me of when Farrah Fawcett & Michael Jackson died on the same day (because it’s another 2-celebrity death day).

I don’t have any anecdotes about Mac, but I remember reading, fairly recently (& probably an old [non-current] article), in her later years Helen Reddy said she now refused to sing her hit “Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)”. Mostly because the majority of the song was the phrase “leave me alone” repeated something like a total of 43 times (not all at 1 time, broken up), after the lyrics setting up the repetition of that phrase. She was able to cite that figure in the article because she said it had apparently been used as a way to win her concert tickets in 1 or more cities (Guess how many times the phrase “leave me alone” appears in the Helen Reddy hit “Leave Me Alone [Ruby Red Dress]”)?.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a ?.
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3

THIS one was freaky.  I wonder how it would be perceived today.  It's half about magic, half mental illness.....never could be sure what was going on with Angie after the neighbor boy rapes her and then disappears......did she drug him?  A mystery. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9

I saw Mac Davis in concert in Las Vegas way back when.  He sang a lot of songs he had written for Elvis and others.  I was surprised at all the songs he had written.  Sad day losing him and Helen Reddy.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, LakeGal said:

I saw Mac Davis in concert in Las Vegas way back when.  He sang a lot of songs he had written for Elvis and others.  I was surprised at all the songs he had written.  Sad day losing him and Helen Reddy.

I am so glad that I got to see so many artists perform over the years.  I’m not sure concerts like those will ever return though I hope so.  I never saw Mac Davis or Helen Reddy.  I wish I had. Helen Reddy looked so much like my aunt back then...same age too.  It’s uncanny. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

THIS one was freaky.  I wonder how it would be perceived today.  It's half about magic, half mental illness.....never could be sure what was going on with Angie after the neighbor boy rapes her and then disappears......did she drug him?  A mystery. 

Oooh, yes, you've named my favorite Helen Reddy song. I never did figure out what Angie did to that guy--trap him inside the radio somehow? It's supposed to be a mystery, I know.

Here is my favorite Mac Davis song:

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Oooh, yes, you've named my favorite Helen Reddy song. I never did figure out what Angie did to that guy--trap him inside the radio somehow? It's supposed to be a mystery, I know.

In hindsight, it really is amazing how much cigarette smoking was romanticized back in the day.  Makes one manly and theckthee don't ya know.  I'd like to see them romanticize my husband's 30ft. oxygen hose that he has to drag around the house, and the fact that he can't walk 5ft. without gasping for his breath.  No one's fault but his, just saying.  I also smoked for 29 years, and have been diagnosed with COPD, but so far I don't seem to have any symptoms.  We've been former smokers for about 15 years.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I had forgotten all about this song so thanks for posting it!  After listening to it again this is my interpretation:

I don't think Angie is mentally ill but the town believes she's "crazy". The lyrics don't say the neighbor boy raped Angie, although that was his evil intention.  However, when the boy stepped in Angie's room he immediately became disoriented and started to shrink when Angie turned the volume down, then disappeared.  Or so it seems.  The town believes the boy died, no one asks Angie because they've branded her "crazy".  But unbeknownst to them, Angie now has a "secret lover" who "keeps her satisfied".  Which says to me Angie has powerful magical powers but everyone thought she lived in a world of make believe.  Well maybe she used her radio to take control and now keeps that neighbor boy on hand to . . .  Fill in the blanks.  Angie baby indeed!  R.I.P. again Ms. Reddy.

ETA:  Delta Dawn should have asked Angie Baby if she had any spare radios to care of business with that mysterious dark-haired man.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, Annber03 said:
On 9/30/2020 at 6:04 AM, roamyn said:

I did not know that. Interesting. 

I think my mom's mentioned before how she had a crush on him back in the day. He had curly hair and reminded her of my dad :D. 

Shame to hear of both his passing and Reddy's-may they rest in peace. 

Was dad a cowboy type?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS70F0x9yuAoB_6WPrgmQX
Right now listening to a tribute on NPR. Surprisingly, they didn't mention "In the Ghetto."
They played a bit of him singing "Baby, baby don't get hooked on me..." 
The lyrics of "In the Ghetto" are still--sadly--spot on, almost 50 years later.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

In hindsight, it really is amazing how much cigarette smoking was romanticized back in the day.  Makes one manly and theckthee don't ya know.  I'd like to see them romanticize my husband's 30ft. oxygen hose that he has to drag around the house, and the fact that he can't walk 5ft. without gasping for his breath.  No one's fault but his, just saying.  I also smoked for 29 years, and have been diagnosed with COPD, but so far I don't seem to have any symptoms.  We've been former smokers for about 15 years.

1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

I had forgotten all about this song so thanks for posting it!  After listening to it again this is my interpretation:

I don't think Angie is mentally ill but I do think the town thought she was "crazy". The lyrics don't say the neighbor boy raped Angie, although that was intention.  However, when the boy stepped in Angie's room he immediately became disoriented and started to shrink when Angie turned the volume down, then disappeared.  Or so it seems.  The town believes the boy died, no one asks Angie because they've branded her "crazy".  But unbeknownst to them, Angie now has a "secret lover" who "keeps her satisfied".  Which says to me Angie has powerful magical powers but everyone thought she lived in a world of make believe.  Well maybe she used her radio to take control and now keeps that neighbor boy on hand to . . .  Fill in the blanks.  Angie baby indeed!  R.I.P. again Ms. Reddy.

13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Was dad a cowboy type?
Right now listening to a tribute on NPR. Surprisingly, they didn't mention "In the Ghetto." They played a bit of him singing "Baby, baby don't get hooked on me..."

Here are some tributes to Helen and Mac:

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music/i-am-woman-director-leads-tributes-to-helen-reddy-20200930-p560pd.html

https://celebrity.nine.com.au/latest/helen-reddy-death-celebrities-react/467c9dd0-178d-439d-a302-356033999bce

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/9457480/mac-davis-dies-artists-tributes

• Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Was dad a cowboy type?

Haha, sadly, no :p. 

As serious as "In the Ghetto" is, I can't quite hear that song without thinking of an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Ray's singing that song while vacuuming on Christmas morning. And then I remember there was a "Drew Carey Show" episode where Lewis and Oswald were trying to do that song at karaoke as well. 

But yes, good song and very relevant indeed. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Haha, sadly, no :p. 

As serious as "In the Ghetto" is, I can't quite hear that song without thinking of an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Ray's singing that song while vacuuming on Christmas morning. And then I remember there was a "Drew Carey Show" episode where Lewis and Oswald were trying to do that song at karaoke as well. 

But yes, good song and very relevant indeed. 

I hear Eric Cartman from South Park when I think of "In the Ghetto."  It's been more than a decade since I watched an episode of that show, but I still remember the episode in one of the early seasons where Cartman is going over to Kenny's house singing it.

• Love 10
30 minutes ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

She  also played the rather memorable Red Queen in  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland from 1992-1995 for the Disney Channel. It sure seemed as though she had her fun playing this outlandish autocrat yet never crossing the line to being an outrightly scary or sadistic character (unlike what Mr. Carroll had depicted)!  I'd like to think her family and friends in her birthplace of Montgomery County, North Carolina  felt proud to see how far she had come.  RIP, Miss McQueen!

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Blergh said:

She  also played the rather memorable Red Queen in  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland from 1992-1995 for the Disney Channel. It sure seemed as though she had her fun playing this outlandish autocrat yet never crossing the line to being an outrightly scary or sadistic character (unlike what Mr. Carroll had depicted)!  I'd like to think her family and friends in her birthplace of Montgomery County, North Carolina  felt proud to see how far she had come.  RIP, Miss McQueen!

She also played Oda Mae's Sister Clara in Ghost.

Edited by ClassicShowsFan
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I adored that show as a child and just watched a documentary on it on YouTube a few months ago.

RIP Miss McQueen!

• Love 6