Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Robert Gore, 83, inventor of Gore-Tex waterproof fabric has died after a long illness (unspecified in this article). Perhaps not a celebrity in the usual sense of the word, but his invention certainly made many lives better.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54224405

I found out on Delaware Online that with a focus on exploring the untapped potential of the fluoropolymer PTFE, Gore served the wire and cable industry during its early years. In 1969, the company’s cable technology landed on the moon as part of the historic Apollo 11 mission.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Robert Gore, 83, inventor of Gore-Tex waterproof fabric has died after a long illness (unspecified in this article). Perhaps not a celebrity in the usual sense of the word, but his invention certainly made many lives better.

I cannot hear Gore-Tex without thinking of George Costanza:

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

72nd Emmy Awards In Memoriam (2020)

Loved the placement of pictures, loved the song selection.  But Dear Television Academy and Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences:  STOP IT ALREADY with pulling focus from the people being paid tribute over to the singer!  

Edited by MissAlmond
updated link and comment.
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Television Academy 2020 In Memoriam List of Names 

https://www.emmys.com/video/in-memoriam-television-academy-2020

5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Emmy Awards In Memoriam 2020

https://www.emmys.com/video/2020/creative-arts/72nd-emmys-in-memoriam

I love the placement of photographs but STOP IT ALREADY Emmy's and Oscar's with pulling focus from the people being paid tribute over to the singer!

*This is NOT the Creative Arts In Memoriam.  The Television Academy has it tagged wrong.  I'll probably update again when they correct it.  

Thank you for sharing those links.

• Love 2

Roy Head, who was known for the song Treat Her Right, has died at 79:

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/music/roy-head-singer-who-took-houston-sound-up-the-15584781

https://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/montgomery-county-loses-an-icon-roy-head-passes/

His son Jason "Sundance" Head was a contestant on Season 6 of American Idol and in 2007, Sundance signed a recording contract with Universal Motown Records. He was the winner on Season 11 of The Voice in 2016 and he was mentored by Blake Shelton.

Edited by ClassicShowsFan

Another Drax moment I love from MOONRAKER is when he's on the phone after his henchman has been killed by Bond in Venice:

Now, regarding a replacement for Chang, do you have someone in mind? Oh, yes, well, if you can get HIM, of course.

Cut to Jaws(Richard Kiel) at an airport.

Apparently in the Bond universe there's a service that hires out henchmen for supervillains!

• Love 1

98 years old!! God bless her with all that plastic surgery junk she did for 20+ years! While she was never a attractive woman before the plastic surgery, I remembered her participation in the 80s for the wrestling show, GLOW! I could still remember her stoic rap beat for the girls. While not in the vain of her son, Sylvester, she is pretty memorable as being the woman that gave us Sylvester Stallone. So cheers to an active lady to the end of her days. She definitely made a lot of sacrifices for his career.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 5
On 9/21/2020 at 9:29 AM, meowmommy said:

That's a damn long, long list.  😪

According to the Television Academy's website, the full list of In Memoriam names usually is included in their Backstage Live online program. Obviously this wasn't done this year due to COVID-19.   I took a quick glance at last year's Backstage Live and it seems somewhere in the midst of interviews and people chatting/eating, the list of names is shown.   So I'm glad they did this year's as a stand-alone and frankly hope they continue to do so going forward.  There's no way I would watch that entire Backstage Live program.  But as one who pays attention to credits, The Academy providing a video of the full In Memoriam list done separately was very much appreciated.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

From ESPN: Chicago Bears Hall of Fame Running Back Gale Sayers Dies at Age 77

He had been living with dementia in recent years. His friendship with fellow Bears player Brian Piccolo, whose football career & life were cut short by a terminal form of cancer, was depicted in Sayers’ autobiography, I Am Third & in 2 versions of the TV movie Brian’s Song—the 1971 classic original, starring Billy Dee Williams & James Caan as Sayers & Piccolo; & a lesser-known/remembered 2001 remake, starring Mekhi Phifer (ER) & Sean Maher as Sayers & Piccolo.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add an adjective and a parenthesis.
30 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

27 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Tribute from Billy Dee Williams on the death of Gale Sayers.  Williams portrayed Sayers in the TV movie Brian's Song.

7 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

From ESPN: Chicago Bears Hall of Fame Running Back Gale Sayers Dies at Age 77

He had been living with dementia in recent years. His friendship with fellow Bears player Brian Piccolo, whose football career & life were cut short by a terminal form of cancer, was depicted in Sayers’ autobiography, I Am Third & in 2 versions of the TV movie Brian’s Song—the 1971 classic original, starring Billy Dee Williams & James Caan as Sayers & Piccolo; & a lesser-known/remembered 2001 remake, starring Mekhi Phifer (ER) & Sean Maher as Sayers & Piccolo.

Thank you for posting that tribute.

• Love 2

Nice tribute by Mr. Williams over Mr. Sayers's passing.

Of course, what's rather sad is that the dementia seems to have been the result of many 'mini'concussions he endured during his football career- and I hope this gets others to think about that very real risk when considering participating in that sport. RIP, Mr. Sayers (and I hope one day there may be a 'Gale Sayers Song' production about his entire life). 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Nice tribute by Mr. Williams over Mr. Sayers's passing.

Of course, what's rather sad is that the dementia seems to have been the result of many 'mini'concussions he endured during his football career- and I hope this gets others to think about that very real risk when considering participating in that sport. RIP, Mr. Sayers (and I hope one day there may be a 'Gale Sayers Song' production about his entire life). 

He also had Alzheimer’s disease.

7 hours ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

He also had Alzheimer’s disease.

Alzheimer’s Disease is a form of, & a synonym for, Dementia; he also could’ve had another form, such as Lewy-Body Dementia, which Robin Williams & The Golden Girls’ Estelle Getty both had (though that’s mostly associated with Parkinson’s Disease patients), or Frontotemporal Dementia, which the husband of a friend has, unfortunately. And he probably had CTE, that degenerative brain disease that has been found in former pro football players in recent years (it was found NFL Hall of Famer Frank Gifford—husband of TV personality/singer Kathie Lee Gifford—had CTE after he died a few years ago).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments and a link.
  • Useful 2
13 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Alzheimer’s Disease is a synonym for Dementia; he also could’ve had another form, such as Lewy-Body Dementia, which Robin Williams & The Golden Girls’ Estelle Getty both had (though that’s mostly associated with Parkinson’s Disease patients), or Frontotemporal Dementia, which the husband of a friend has, unfortunately. And he probably had CTE, that degenerative brain disease that has been found in former pro football players in recent years (it was found NFL Hall of Famer Frank Gifford—husband of TV personality/singer Kathie Lee Gifford—had CTE after he died a few years ago).

Thank you.

3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Alzheimer’s Disease is a synonym for Dementia; he also could’ve had another form, such as Lewy-Body Dementia, which Robin Williams & The Golden Girls’ Estelle Getty both had (though that’s mostly associated with Parkinson’s Disease patients), or Frontotemporal Dementia, which the husband of a friend has, unfortunately. And he probably had CTE, that degenerative brain disease that has been found in former pro football players in recent years (it was found NFL Hall of Famer Frank Gifford—husband of TV personality/singer Kathie Lee Gifford—had CTE after he died a few years ago).

It's actually a form of dementia and not a synonym. However, it does seem to be used as a catch-all for all forms of demential kind of like Kleenex, Band-Aid and Coke are used to represent tissue, bandages and soft drinks. I lost a parent to dementia and my heart goes out to the Sayers family. It's such a cruel disease.  Also related to Mr. Sayers, I remember being so saddened by Brian's Song as a young child that for a few years after, just hearing the theme would make me sad.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, lurkerbee said:

It's actually a form of dementia and not a synonym. However, it does seem to be used as a catch-all for all forms of demential kind of like Kleenex, Band-Aid and Coke are used to represent tissue, bandages and soft drinks. I lost a parent to dementia and my heart goes out to the Sayers family. It's such a cruel disease.  Also related to Mr. Sayers, I remember being so saddened by Brian's Song as a young child that for a few years after, just hearing the theme would make me sad.

I corrected my post to reflect your comment about my description of Alzheimer’s Disease. I knew quite well that it was a form of Dementia as well as a synonym for the overall disease (moreso than other forms of Dementia). I don’t know why I didn’t say so. Apologies.

• Love 2

Steve Sabol once said that tackling Gale Sayers was "like trying to catch a candy wrapper in a wind storm."

Farewell to our Kansas Comet!!  I'm so very saddened by this news.  Now the Brian's Song theme is in my head:

"If the hands of time
Were hands that I could hold
I'd keep them warm
And in my hands
They 'd not turn cold"

• Love 6

I saw Brian's Song when I was fairly young and I think it was the first movie to make me cry.

Cousin's wife has an early onset form of dementia, I don't know which one. This was an intelligent, outspoken woman who got through med school and was a practicing physician for about 30 years. I saw her a couple of months ago for the first time in years. She was so quiet and meek, barely spoke and got confused easily. Officially, governmentaly disabled. I can't imagine what my cousin is going through on a daily basis.

5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I corrected my post to reflect your comment about my description of Alzheimer’s Disease. I knew quite well that it was a form of Dementia as well as a synonym for the overall disease (moreso than other forms of Dementia). I don’t know why I didn’t say so. Apologies.

Then I would like to apologize as well.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, voiceover said:

Now the Brian's Song theme is in my head:

"If the hands of time
I'd keep them warm
And in my hands
They 'd not turn cold"

Well, it wasn't in my head, because I couldn't remember it, until I read these lyrics, and then the melody came right back to me.  And now the whole damn song is playing on the perpetual turntable in my head.  Just that song brings back the emotion I felt watching the movie almost 50 years ago.  I remember trying not to cry so as not to look wimpy in front of my family.

I also remember thinking that James Caan must be a fine actor to go from Brian's Song to The Godfather, and that Billy Dee Williams is just very fine, indeed.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Holy shit!  50 years?!?  You just crushed me.  🤯😩

Well, only 49 years of age right now. The Williams/Caan version actually came out in 1971–so 50 years next year (& the lesser-known/remembered TV movie remake, with ER’s Mekhi Phifer as Sayers & Sean Maher as Brian Piccolo, will be 20 years old next year, having been released in 2001).

• Love 2
12 hours ago, voiceover said:

Steve Sabol once said that tackling Gale Sayers was "like trying to catch a candy wrapper in a wind storm."

Farewell to our Kansas Comet!!  I'm so very saddened by this news.  Now the Brian's Song theme is in my head:

"If the hands of time
I'd keep them warm
And in my hands
They 'd not turn cold"

I never knew there were lyrics to that, until now. Thank you for posting at least some of them.

These are the full lyrics to Brian's Song:

If the hand of time
Were hand that I could hold
I'd keep them warm.

And in my hand
They'd not turn cold.

Hand in hand
We'd choose
The moments that should last.

Timeless moments
That have no future
And no past.

The summer
From the top of a swing
The comfort
In the sound of a laughter.

The innocence
Of leaves in spring
But most of all
The moment when love touched me.

All the happy days
We've never learned to fly
Until the hands of time
Would choose the wave goodbye.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Thanks. It's not a big deal. Until it happeed in my family, I basically assumed there was only one form of dementia and it was Alzheimer's. Hopefully one day there will be a cure. It's painful to watch someone you love become a completely different person.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, lurkerbee said:

Thanks. It's not a big deal. Until it happeed in my family, I basically assumed there was only one form of dementia and it was Alzheimer's. Hopefully one day there will be a cure. It's painful to watch someone you love become a completely different person.

I'm sorry for your loss.

7 hours ago, lurkerbee said:

Happening to me...it's the worst.