Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Writer and critic Stanley Crouch died at 74. Specific cause of death was not given but he has a variety of health issues. 

He also co-founded and served as artistic consultant for Jazz at Lincoln Center, playing an integral role in the institution’s repertoire and often writing notes and essays for concert programs. 

https://www.arts.gov/video/nea-jazz-masters-tribute-stanley-crouch

Here is audio of him playing drums in 1977.

4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Wow. I have to say he started with good ideas but I stopped reading after book 6 or 7 because it got increasingly ridiculous. Wasn't aware of his age.

And the book series went on for so long as well.

4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think the group’s name was actually Honey Comb, like the Post cereal & the waxy stuff bees make honey in.

giovannif7 is correct about the name being Honey Cone and not Honey Comb.

Another article I read mentioned it ended up being 21 books. He finished it previously, then due to popular demand, or he needed the money, suddenly there were more. I looked at the very end of the (first) final out of curiosity and it was like, ten pages of Richard ranting in a speech. The short lived TV series was fun and left out a lot of the more stupid aspects.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Another article I read mentioned it ended up being 21 books. He finished it previously, then due to popular demand, or he needed the money, suddenly there were more. I looked at the very end of the (first) final out of curiosity and it was like, ten pages of Richard ranting in a speech. The short lived TV series was fun and left out a lot of the more stupid aspects.

He also wrote The Law Of Nines along with many others as well.

8 hours ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

And the book series went on for so long as well.

giovannif7 is correct about the name being Honey Cone and not Honey Comb.

I would’ve sworn it was as I said. That makes more sense than Honey Cone, anyway. Apologies.

• Love 1

I was just coming to post about Justice Ginsburg. I just got a notification on my iPhone about her passing from NBC News. It’s on all the cable news networks, by the way. I was watching NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt; the commercial networks haven’t broken in yet, that I know of. I doubt we’ll get a woman to replace her; that saddens me.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.

2020 Creative Arts Emmys In Memoriam

ETA: Came to post the Creative Arts In Memoriam link only to learn of Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death.  R.I.P.  Judge Ginsburg.  Damn.  

Edited by MissAlmond
updated link
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I was just coming to post about Justice Ginsburg. I just got a notification on my iPhone about her passing from NBC News. It’s on all the cable news networks, by the way. I was watching NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt; the commercial networks haven’t broken in yet, that I know of. I doubt we’ll get a woman to replace her; that saddens me.

It just came up on the Apple News app and our local news app.

• Love 1

I wish 2020 were a person, so I could wish death on it.

Thank you, Justice Ginsburg, for all you did for us. You left one hell of a legacy, and, one way or another, we will make damned sure you won't have died in vain. 

p.s.

If I'm wrong and there is in fact a Heaven, please give Marty a big hug for us.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 22

Hollywood Reacts To The Death Of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

https://deadline.com/2020/09/hollywood-reacts-to-the-death-of-supreme-court-justice-ruth-bader-ginsberg-1234579869/

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Tributes Pour In From Kerry Washington, Janet Mock, Misha Collins, and More

https://www.tvguide.com/news/ruth-bader-ginsburg-tributes/?ftag=NLS-04-10aaa2i

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dead at 87: Hollywood Pays Tribute

https://www.eonline.com/news/1189567/ruth-bader-ginsburg-dead-at-87-hollywood-pays-tribute-to-the-supreme-court-justice

Edited by ClassicShowsFan
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I am in total devastation'................someone please wake me up when the nightmare is over. 

I'm feeling the same way.  Knew she was on her way out but was hoping against hope she'd hang on for a while longer.  I can't explain it...it's such a feeling of dread.  

• Love 8

Ironically, she died on the eve of Rosh Hashannah.

On Rosh Hashannah it is inscribed, and on Yom Kippur it is sealed — how many shall pass away and how many shall be born, who shall live and who shall die, who in good time, and who by an untimely death, who by water and who by fire, who by sword and who by wild beast, who by famine and who by thirst, who by earthquake and who by plague, who by strangulation and who by lapidation, who shall have rest and who wander, who shall be at peace and who pursued, who shall be serene and who tormented, who shall become impoverished and who wealthy, who shall be debased, and who exalted. But repentance, prayer and righteousness avert the severity of the decree.

Oseh shalom bimromav, hu ya’aseh shalom aleinu v’al kol-yisrael, v’imru: “amen.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

One thing that must be kept in mind: Justice Ginsburg persisted against tall odds her entire life! RIP, Mrs. Ginsburg and I'd like to imagine her being reunited with her husband Martin who had an inspirational true partnership with her from their earliest days together! 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think most women today don't even realize how many of their basic legal protections are due to the truly excellent work RBG did as a lawyer (and did in an era when she faced fierce, blatant opposition to her very existence as a law student and then lawyer simply for being a woman) - her expert handling of individual cases and her vision for the overall legal framework she was laying.  Being a civil rights lawyer focused on women's rights myself, RBG will always remain one of my greatest heroes.  I need nothing more than her professional record, but her reputation as a friend (one of my favorite law school professors was quite close with her, so I've heard even more anecdotes than those which are well known) made me admire her even more.  I'm having a very hard time with this loss; I've felt sick to stomach ever since I heard.

I can’t begin to imagine the degree of your feelings of loss. 😟😪😔😢😩😥

• Love 7

RIP Justice Ginsberg.  You are an inspiration and thank you for all you did for justice $0& equality.  I’m glad you’re no longer suffering, but I wish you could’ve held on just a few more months.  Heaven help the US and Equality.

• Love 20

For the last few years, I've been wondering how I got sucked into this alternate universe and how I can get to the AU where 2020 is not the last step before a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

• Love 24
43 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Famed Stuntman Ernie Orsatti has died, age 80.   Mr. Orsatti's most familiar stunt is the fall through the glass skylight in The Poseidon Adventure, the clip of which is included in the link: 

https://deadline.com/2020/09/ernie-orsatti-dies-stuntman-coordinator-was-80-1234580133/

Also from that same link you provided:

In The Poseidon Adventure, the tale of an ocean liner capsized by a huge wave, Orsatti played Terry, the boyfriend of Pamela Sue Martin. The dangerous stunt was his first major task, and asked him to let go from an upside-down table to fall 32 feet onto a skylight in the ballroom of the ocean liner.

Orsatti did the stunt, but was knocked out by the plunge. He later admitted he was “scared to death” by the stunt, but it made his career, and he later was a fan favorite at gatherings surrounding the film.

He also also appeared on TV shows including Mannix, The Incredible Hulk, and Hill Street Blues. He later had roles in the films The Mechanic, The Last American Hero, The Towering Inferno and Viva Knievel!. The younger Orsatti became a model and competitive swimmer before breaking into show business with appearances in the 1968 film The Acid Eaters and in The Green Berets, starring John Wayne.

Edited by ClassicShowsFan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2