Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

As sad and upsetting this news is re Mr. Boseman, one must consider how HEROIC he was to somehow not only work what appeared to have been a very physically taxing role as the Black Panther but to somehow reach out to children fighting for their lives and help them despite all the struggles he himself was going through re that longterm cancer! 

P.S. Though I have to wonder how he and/or the studio were able to get the insurance company/ies to back the film despite this condition.

P.P.S. I hope everyone watching/rewatching his work will consider how his onscreen heroics paled against his offscreen heroism and that will draw help many draw strength and inspiration to deal with so many tough issues we're having to contend with during these times!

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

4 years with colon cancer. Which means he had it during filming of all MCU movies except Civil War.

I really wanted to see a movie with Chadwick Boseman and Bokeem Woodbine playing off each other, preferably as brothers. Never to be :(.

Regarding the bolded: I read an obit somewhere (I forget where) overnight that said he was originally diagnosed with Stage III Colon Cancer but it unfortunately progressed to Stage IV. It also said he worked on his films after diagnosis around & during his chemo treatments & surgery for the illness.  But Alex Trebek’s been doing Jeopardy! through his Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer treatment, at least before the COVID shutdown—I don’t know if they’ve resumed filming yet—so it’s not impossible to have such a devastating form of the disease & continue to work.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment. And to correct the type of Cancer Alex Trebek has.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Alex Trebek’s been doing Jeopardy! through his Stage IV Prostate Cancer treatment, at

Alex has pancreatic cancer. Mostly people die from that within a few months to a year. It is the same cancer that killed Patrick sawazy and my grandfather. Obviously, Alex thankfully is still with us, but I felt I needed to correct this.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 9

Get your colonoscopy if you are of the appropriate age (or have symptoms). It's one day of hassle and then you sleep through the actual procedure. It's not hard and it can be a life-saver (my father, 91 years old, can attest to that).

RIP Chadwick Boseman.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
26 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Get your colonoscopy if you are of the appropriate age (or have symptoms).

Yeah I read an article that doctors are now recommending people to have one earlier because the cases of colon cancer has been increasing so much in the last decade or so. I think the standard age was 50, unless a person showed symptoms of something being wrong but now some doctors recommend individuals have one at 40.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, blueray said:

Alex has pancreatic cancer. Mostly people die from that within a few months to a year. It is the same cancer that killed Patrick sawazy and my grandfather. Obviously, Alex thankfully is still with us, but I felt I needed to correct this.

Thanks. I meant Pancreatic Cancer & ended up typing Prostate. I’ll fix.

• Love 2

No kidding but I learned the news when the headline popped up on my phone that said "Chadwick Boseman di-". I knew what the rest had to be but I couldn't believe it. He was older than I thought, 43 but still way too young. I didn't know about the recent photos of him looking so skinny so I didn't expect it at all.

The first time I became aware of him was seeing on The View years ago when he was promoting "42" where he played Jackie Robinson. He told how he met Jackie's widow and she told him when they were first trying to do a movie about him they were hoping Sidney Poitier would play him. That got a "wow" from the hosts and the audience. Chadwick continued "Then she said later we tried to get Denzel Washington..." and he laughed as did everyone, the joke being the only actors considered worthy to be Jackie Robinson were two icons of their respective generations and he was just this unknown! Little did he or we know he would end up taking his place as the next great black movie star. I wish he had as much longevity.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

No kidding but I learned the news when the headline popped up on my phone that said "Chadwick Boseman di-". I knew what the rest had to be but I couldn't believe it.

This was me.  I just so happened to get on twitter, not 1/2 hour after the news broke, and  just saw post after post of a black and white picture on my feed (people were re-tweeting the confirmation his family posted on his twitter).  I hadn't even read any of the tweets, just saw the picture and more pictures and got such a sinking feeling in my stomach.  I remember thinking, maybe he isn't dead, maybe he made a big speech or something.  And then I finally read a tweet from Ava Duvernay and saw the 'RIP.' 

Man, even now I am getting a little weepy. It is so weird that I am so sad about this because if you had asked me to name my top 20 favorite actors he wouldn't have made the list.  But dammit, for some reason this is just hitting me differently.

• Love 20
2 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Man, even now I am getting a little weepy. It is so weird that I am so sad about this because if you had asked me to name my top 20 favorite actors he wouldn't have made the list.  But dammit, for some reason this is just hitting me differently.

Bolded mine.

Same. I think it is hitting me so hard because I now realize that he worked while in a lot mental and physical pain, he offered solace to those battling cancer (as he was) with this knowledge that he may not beat this, and the body of work--although not large--from a short timespan that encompasses his battle is of such an iconic (in subject and subject matter) nature that it makes me see him in a more profound light. 

• Love 21

This is hitting me hard too. I saw it last night before I went to bed, I couldn't post anything and it woke me up a few times. Even though I wouldn't have said he was one of my favorite actors, I liked his acting very much. When Civil War came out he was one of the only things I liked about that movie at the time. Such presence.  From all accounts I've seen he was a good person and 43 is just way too young. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, blueray said:

I just heard about Chadwick Boseman :(. I didn't even know he was sick. My heart goes out to his family.

Now it makes sense some of the cryptic things his older brother Kevin Boseman who is an artist as well would say on instagram and tweeter.  He has deleted his social media accounts. People actually assumed he was depressed and maybe even suicidal.. He was already mourning his brother with the rest of his family even if the world had no idea of what was to come..

6 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah I read an article that doctors are now recommending people to have one earlier because the cases of colon cancer has been increasing so much in the last decade or so. I think the standard age was 50, unless a person showed symptoms of something being wrong but now some doctors recommend individuals have one at 40.

Especially, if you are of African descent.  Cancer of all types affects people of African descent at a higher deadlier rate than other communities, by the time we are diagnosed it is often too late..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm blown away by Chadwick Boseman's death, especially since he's not that much older than me.

ancestral-plane-black-panther-tchalla-ch

I'll also second the Fuck Cancer! sentiment.  But there is hope, a new blood test can detect some types of cancer up to four years before symptoms appear.

• Useful 5
  • Love 15

I don't know who first posted it but my favorite joke during the 2018 award season was:

"Sterling K. Brown making so many firsts as a black man, Chadwick Boseman is going to play him in a movie!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 8
  • Love 16

A True Superhero. You know everyone at his memorial will be making the Wakanda Forever arm gesture.

My BIL is a survivor of colon cancer, diagnosed in stage III. He's convinced it's from working around oil and natural gas fields. Radiation, chemo, and an operation that took out the last few feet of his colon and resulted in a colostomy. There is no way he could have been doing anything physically demanding, and certainly not an action movie.

15 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

But Alex Trebek’s been doing Jeopardy! through his Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer treatment, at least before the COVID shutdown—I don’t know if they’ve resumed filming yet—so it’s not impossible to have such a devastating form of the disease & continue to work.

Of course not, but Trebek has also talked about the times the pain resulting from the disease and its treatment left him crying and writhing on the floor of his dressing room. 

Then there's the fear and depression present throughout such a battle (which your example Alex Trebek has also been open about).

A whole lot of us would choose to just curl up with our loved ones and things, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but for someone to press on through it all despite terrible times and odds due to their love of the work and what it means to the audience is admirable.

• Love 18

Earlier this morning, they were talking about Chadwick Boseman’s untimely death on GMA Sunday & they said ABC was planning to air a tribute special in his honor, tonight at 8PM Eastern/7PM Central. They might’ve said there would be related programming after that, but I didn’t hear that part too clearly, unfortunately.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an extraneous word.
13 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Earlier this morning, they were talking about Chadwick Boseman’s untimely death on GMA Sunday & they said ABC was planning to air a tribute special in his honor, tonight at 8PM Eastern/7PM Central. They might’ve said there would be related programming after that, but I didn’t hear that part too clearly, unfortunately.

It looks like ABC is airing Black Panther from 8-10:20 and from 10:20-11:00 they will air the tribute to Chadwick Boseman.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
On 8/28/2020 at 11:59 PM, MerBearHou said:

I just re-watched the Chadwick Boseman / Jimmy Fallon episode on The Tonight Show when people tell a poster of The Black Panther what the movie meant to them - then Chadwick comes out from behind and surprises them.  I loved it then and seeing it again tonight brought such tears.  What a wonderful man he was.  If you get a chance, google the episode — it’s so heartwarming and heartbreaking.

Definitely worth seeking this one out!  Like so many others posting here, I was gut-punched by the news on Friday night.  I first became aware of Mr. Boseman's talent when I watched 42 about 6 years ago.  I thought to myself: where has he been hiding?  I immediately took to the internet to learn more about him.  It was a joy to see his career blossom since then.

On 8/29/2020 at 7:27 AM, merylinkid said:

This was on twitter.   Even with his own battle with cancer, he took time to cheer up the kids at St. Jude's Hospital:

This ^^ is beautiful too, and cements my impression of Mr. Boseman's deep sense of humanity.  To know the fate that awaits you and still have this much compassion for others is what we should all strive for, every day.

On 8/29/2020 at 7:48 AM, Blergh said:

P.P.S. I hope everyone watching/rewatching his work will consider how his onscreen heroics paled against his offscreen heroism and that will draw help many draw strength and inspiration to deal with so many tough issues we're having to contend with during these times!

This.  His acting reflected his strengths and compassion as a remarkable human being. ❤️

Edited by Inquisitionist
Typo
  • Love 11

I just read that ABC will air "Black Panther" commercial free,  tonight at 8 p.m Eastern, 7 p.m. Central, followed by a tribute to Chadwick Boseman.   

TBS will be showing it tonight, 30 August at 8 p.m. Eastern, 7 p.m. Central.      TBS actually has it listed on their online schedule. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just read that ABC will air "Black Panther" commercial free,  tonight at 8 p.m (don't know if that's Central or Eastern), followed by a tribute to Chadwick Boseman.    This isn't showing up on the schedule, even on the ABC official site.    I found another site claiming that TBS will be showing it tonight, 30 August at 8 p.m. Eastern, 7 p.m. Central.     I haven't been able to find a confirmation on ABC's schedule for tonight's showing.  

It's ABC. Even if I do have Disney+ and can watch Black Panther any time, looks like I'll be saving Lovecraft Country for later this week.

Edited by lurkerbee
clarity
  • Love 6

John Thompson, Jr.'s death is such a tremendous loss, especially in the DC area. Before I was born, my parents used to have season tickets for Georgetown basketball games. My mother's taking this really hard.

RIP Big John

• Love 1
22 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Man.  Sigh. RIP Mr. Thompson, sir.

I am a Syracuse University Newhouse School alum. I am totally aging myself, but I was a student during the heyday of the Big East Conference (pour one out for the loss of a truly great conference).  And let me tell you nothing was more thrilling during conference games than our rivalry with Georgetown.

I only keep Facebook to connect with my college posse and some of the family members I prefer to keep at computer distance, and my entire FB feed was nothing but respect for this man.  For all that we HATED Georgetown everyone of us had mad respect for John Thompson.  Especially since at the time it was so rare to see a black head coach at that level. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Man.  Sigh. RIP Mr. Thompson, sir.

I am a Syracuse University Newhouse School alum. I am totally aging myself, but I was a student during the heyday of the Big East Conference (pour one out for the loss of a truly great conference).  And let me tell you nothing was more thrilling during conference games than our rivalry with Georgetown.

I only keep Facebook to connect with my college posse and some of the family members I prefer to keep at computer distance, and my entire FB feed was nothing but respect for this man.  For all that we HATED Georgetown everyone of us had mad respect for John Thompson.  Especially since at the time it was so rare to see a black head coach at that level.

Regarding the bolded: He was the first African-American coach to lead a team to the NCAA Men’s Basketball title when the Georgetown Hoyas won in 1984.

• Love 4

SNL has announced they’re planning to repeat the 2018 episode hosted by Chadwick Boseman this Saturday night. It’s on NBC (or it should be, anyway; check your local listings for the correct time & channel in your market—sometimes SNL airs tape-delayed since it’s after the Saturday late news). Usually it airs at about 11:35PM Eastern/10:35PM Central.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8