Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I'll join you. I've always thought of sarcasm/snarkiness ("snarcasm," a great word coined by Frankie Heck in The Middle) in the same category as illegible handwriting, chronic lateness, and bad spelling: something that people are unjustifiably proud of as if it makes them different and interesting.

Oh dear - it's like you know me  🙂  Except I'm not really proud of all those qualities.  It's just...me.  

Honestly, @UYI and @Annber03, you are 2 of my favorite people here in PTV land!  (I hope I"m allowed to say that)  I appreciate your contributions and sincerity.  I'm just old and cynical and when I said it was the end of times, I guess I just meant that Olivia de Havilland had been here so long that she was never supposed to die.  So it feels like the end of times.  She was an incredible talent and seems like an incredible person.  

Thanks for the Letterman video @UYI.  Dave was my first thought when I heard about Regis.  I love Dave. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

Honestly, @UYI and @Annber03, you are 2 of my favorite people here in PTV land!  (I hope I"m allowed to say that)  I appreciate your contributions and sincerity.  I'm just old and cynical and when I said it was the end of times, I guess I just meant that Olivia de Havilland had been here so long that she was never supposed to die.  So it feels like the end of times.  She was an incredible talent and seems like an incredible person.  

Aw, thank you 🙂. I like your contributions and comments, too. I totally get what you mean with your comments about Havilland, and what her passing signals. Especially since she lived to be over 100...it's hard not to feel like someone can live forever when they pass that milestone. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, UYI said:

...Like I said, I am NOT snarky or cynical enough for this place. I need to work on that so y'all don't turn on me! *hides*

I think it's good for us to have a little non snarky, non cynical once in a while. Keeps us grounded. I was having a really tough day today so you're post was a nice reminder that things aren't always bad. 

de Havilland was a class act. She will be missed, but 104 sounds like a better age than most to shuffle off this mortal coil. 

• Love 8

Ms. De Havilland was a graduate of the same high school as my mom, aunt and uncle, and was in attendance at a reunion honoring the school's 100th anniversary in 1988.  I believe people were appropriately respectful and didn't go up to her table to bother her or anything.  I just remember it was really, really hot with no shade in sight at the outdoor event, so I hope she had an umbrella and something cool to drink.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 7/26/2020 at 12:15 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Oh God I knew it. I knew that it would happen THIS year.

But you know what? I'm not sad. I mean, I'm a little sad but she made it to 104. She had a long full life, a stellar career and left this horrible year with all the class and dignity she had in life. A legend to the very end.

So rest in peace Olivia de Havilland. You deserve it. Hope you finally made peace with Joan on the other side.

No need to be sad though, she was 104. Living to 104 is a nightmare for most people. I don't know how Ms. De Havilland's  health was up till the end.  Still, I love old time Hollywood actors and farewell to her.  It's hard to feel sad for such an age when your mom dies at 40. 

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

No need to be sad though, she was 104. Living to 104 is a nightmare for most people. I don't know how Ms. De Havilland's  health was up till the end.

Ha. She was out riding a bike earlier this month. She might have been in better shape than me.

• Love 18
34 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

May she RIP. What a long full life she had! Such a talent. 

Gorgeous, too.  I saw a piece they did on GMA this morning.  She looked so pretty at every age.

• Love 10
(edited)

Here is the Notre Dame Leprechaun on Live With Regis and Kelly:

And a statement from Notre Dame president Rev. John Jenkins:

"Regis regaled millions on air through the years, often times sharing a passionate love for his alma mater with viewers." 

"He will be remembered at Notre Dame for his unfailing support for the university and its mission, including the Philbin Studio Theater in our performing arts center."

His personal reflections on why he liked Notre Dame:

This is what Kelly Ripa had to say about the biggest lesson that she learned from Regis:

https://www.etonline.com/kelly-ripa-shares-the-biggest-lesson-she-learned-from-regis-philbin-150363

Edited by BradyBunchFan
  • Love 6
(edited)

Actress Jacqueline Scott who played Richard Kimble (David Janssen) sister in The Fugitive and Walter Mattheu's wife in Charley Varrick has died, age 89.  Scott also appeared in three episodes of the OG Perry Mason series, one of which, The Case of the Daring Decoy I just watched last week.  R.I.P. Ms. Scott.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jacqueline-scott-dead-actress-fugitive-charley-varrick-was-89-1304712

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/ny-jacqueline-scott-obit-20200728-posvaipmv5ggpkta34dbtk5rxi-story.html

Edited by MissAlmond
23 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Actress Jacqueline Scott who played Richard Kimble (David Janssen) sister in The Fugitive and Walter Mattheu's wife in Charley Varrick has died, age 89.  Scott also appeared in three episodes of the OG Perry Mason series, one of which, The Case of the Daring Decoy I just watched last week.  R.I.P. Ms. Scott.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jacqueline-scott-dead-actress-fugitive-charley-varrick-was-89-1304712

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/ny-jacqueline-scott-obit-20200728-posvaipmv5ggpkta34dbtk5rxi-story.html

May she R.I.P.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actress Jacqueline Scott who played Richard Kimble (David Janssen) sister in The Fugitive and Walter Mattheu's wife in Charley Varrick has died, age 89. 

And her husband just died a month ago; how rough for their family.  But they both died at home after long lives (he was 94), so hopefully that's comforting.

• Love 6

Regis Philbin's wife, Joy, and their daughters remember late star: 'He let everyone into his life'

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/regis-philbin-wife-joy-daughters-remember-late-star

Regis Philbin's family 'overwhelmed' by love after his death, asks for donations to help New Yorkers in need

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/regis-philbin-family-overwhelmed-by-love-after-death-asks-for-donations-new-yorkers-in-need

• Love 11
20 hours ago, BradyBunchFan said:

Alan Parker Dies: Towering UK Director Of ‘Bugsy Malone’, ‘Midnight Express’ & ‘Evita’ Was 76

I didn't realize, or perhaps forgot, Alan Parker directed the original Fame.  I totally enjoyed that movie.  I'm also a fan of his Evita even though it was panned by many.  R.I.P. Mr. Parker.

• Love 10

Connie Culp, the first face-transplant recipient in the United States, has died. She was 57. Her husband shot her in the face with a shotgun in 2004; she received the face transplant in 2008 (after 30 previous surgeries). The article doesn't give the cause of death, but does say that she had been in the hospital for several days.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1235578

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Connie Culp, the first face-transplant recipient in the United States, has died. She was 57. Her husband shot her in the face with a shotgun in 2004; she received the face transplant in 2008 (after 30 previous surgeries). The article doesn't give the cause of death, but does say that she had been in the hospital for several days.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1235578

I was just gonna mention her death.  Despite her swollen face from all the steroids & anti rejection medicine, she bravely gave speeches abt domestic violence and encouraged other recipients around the world. A courageous beautiful soul.  RIP

• Love 14

For those of you that have Screenpix, the Screenpix Westerns channel is currently showing The Good, the Bad and the Ugly right now with music by Ennio Morricone.

Outdoor Channel will be showing it later on tonight, tomorrow, Friday, August 14th, and Saturday, August 15th.

This TV is also showing it on Thursday.

• Love 1

Mr. Brimley did an excellent job in that family drama Our House about a widowed retiree called Gus in a big empty house whose complacency soon got tested when he was compelled to shelter his late son's family in said house.   His daughter-in-law Jessie was played by Deidre Hall, elder teen granddaughter (and aspiring astronaut) played by Shannen Dougherty and his grandson was played by Chad Allen! It was one of my faves of the mid 1980's. RIP, Mr. Brimley!

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Mr. Brimley did an excellent job in that family drama Our House about a widowed retiree called Gus in a big empty house whose complacency soon got tested when he was compelled to shelter his late son's family in said house.   His daughter-in-law Jessie was played by Deidre Hall, elder teen granddaughter (and aspiring astronaut) played by Shannen Dougherty and his grandson was played by Chad Allen! It was one of my faves of the mid 1980's. RIP, Mr. Brimley!

I really liked that show.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I was thinking of him the other day. I assumed he'd already passed. 

RIP

So did I, perhaps because he always seemed to be about ten years older than he really was.  May he rest in peace.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, BradyBunchFan said:

That’s really sad to hear about. According to articles that I read, he was on dialysis and had several medical ailments including kidney disease for two months.

That's hardly surprising. Diabetes itself isn't fatal. The complications that arise from it are, and kidney damage is one of the biggest. That's why I have to take a pill every day to protect my kidneys in addition to the four different diabetes medicines I also have to take.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

That's hardly surprising. Diabetes itself isn't fatal. The complications that arise from it are, and kidney damage is one of the biggest. That's why I have to take a pill every day to protect my kidneys in addition to the four different diabetes medicines I also have to take.

I had to take a pill myself for many years, but for a different issue.

• Love 1

I swear I saw him at the LA Airport about 15 years ago.  I was sitting in a chair at a terminal and he sat down in the chair across from me.  We looked at each other for a brief second and then I looked away not wanting to stare.  It was then time to board and as Mr Angeltoes (who has no interest in celebrities whatsoever) and I were walking away he said,"Was that the Quaker Oats guy?"  I like to believe it was.  

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 18