Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I live near the Mississippi River, one of the most dangerous waterways for recreation. I can say that no amount of signage, or news stories about drownings (which happen every year) will keep people from making poor water decisions. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say. Often those who spend the most time in the water are the least likely to pay attention to safety warnings.

I hope her friends and family get all the time and privacy they need to grieve and heal.

RIP Ms. Rivera. You and Santana were my very favorite part of Glee.

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, GaT said:

She is the 9th person to drown there, the town putting signs up warning people of the dangers would have been enough to warn others what not to do. At this point I would say the town has a big responsibility for her death.

What town? The reservoir is owned and operated by the United Water Conservation District. 

I really doubt that more signs would have changed anything. She rented a boat and I would be stunned if that didn’t include all kind of waivers and warnings. They provided life jackets. What happened was tragic and I don’t blame Naya but she didn’t follow the most important guidelines for being on the water. 

I’ve seen too many people climb right over warning signs to think that more would make much of a difference. 

Edited by Guest

Oh, my god :(. Wow. I've not seen "Mythbusters", but I remember him being on Craig Ferguson's show in the past. He was responsible for creating Craig's robot skeleton, Geoff. 

Damn. 49 years old. 

2020 needs to fucking chill. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Popples said:

I have no words, this is unbelievable.

Fuck fuck fuck.   Far too young.  I follow Kari Byron on Twitter.  It took me awhile to figure out why she was posting pics of Grant.

1 hour ago, Popples said:

Man, that's really sad. I always liked Grant. He was so enthusiastic and talented with electronics and robotics. He just seemed like a nice guy.

• Love 10
On 7/10/2020 at 8:59 PM, xaxat said:

Beautiful. Carl Reiner was an extraordinary man who had an extraordinary career and this scene was the icing on the cake.

Devastating news about Naya Rivera. While Santana wasn't my favorite character by any means, I do appreciate what she meant to many LGBTQ fans. My heart goes to her friends and family, especially her son.

While I'm not the biggest John Travolta fan either, losing another woman he loved to breast cancer is heartbreaking, to say the least. Condolences to him and his family.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

Per John Travolta's announcement, he thanked the staff of M. D. Anderson, which is a very mainstream cancer treatment center. 

MD Anderson is one of the best cancer centers in the world. It’s in Houston. Sounds like Travolta and Preston tried all the best treatments, it just didn’t save her.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

MD Anderson is one of the best cancer centers in the world. It’s in Houston. Sounds like Travolta and Preston tried all the best treatments, it just didn’t save her.

I was surprised that they tried medical treatments. I had read that it is frowned upon by the Scientologist community.  

• Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

My God I forgot I watched this clip when it aired:

I had no idea that she had played his younger granddaughter on Royal Family!

So does this mean that the recently-deceased Miss Rivera was on the set  as a witness when Mr. Foxx collapsed from what  turned out to have been a legit and  ultimately fatal heart attack after getting into an argument? That would have been quite a horrible thing for a 4-year-old child to have had  to witness!

Edited by Blergh
6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

So does this mean that the recently-deceased Miss Rivera was on the set  as a witness when Mr. Foxx collapsed from what  turned out to have been a legit and  ultimately fatal heart attack after getting into an argument? That would have been quite a horrible thing for a 4-year-old child to have had  to witness!

I hope she wasn't present. I remember after he died, Jackee was brought on to play Della Reese's sister. She posted this a few days ago when the news of her dissapearance first broke:

12 hours ago, Popples said:

I am just in shock.  Grant was always my favorite Mythbuster.  It wasn't even close.  

So very sad.  I can't get my head around it.  Rest in peace Grant.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was surprised that they tried medical treatments. I had read that it is frowned upon by the Scientologist community.  

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I was wondering about this also.

You may be confusing them with Christian Scientists.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

You may be confusing them with Christian Scientists.

I am aware of the Christian Scientist beliefs, I made an assumption that because of their beliefs about mental health care they did not use any Dr. I am glad they do use Dr.s to take care of their physical health.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am aware of the Christian Scientist beliefs, I made an assumption that because of their beliefs about mental health care they did not use any Dr. I am glad they do use Dr.s to take care of their physical health.

Well....I've seen some documentaries about the COS.....I'm not convinced they really support medical intervention.  I know that Jett suffered from seizures and Travolta was adamant that medication was not beneficial.  I saw him expound that in interviews at least twice before Jett's death. It's my understanding that falling from a seizure is what killed Jett.  So, I have issues with that and the COS for many other reasons. 

So, I do wonder what the real deal is regarding cancer treatment for John's wife.  Many in the COS are not free to speak out and so what is officially released is suspect, imo. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well....I've seen some documentaries about the COS.....I'm not convinced they really support medical intervention.  I know that Jett suffered from seizures and Travolta was adamant that medication was not beneficial.  I saw him expound that in interviews at least twice before Jett's death. It's my understanding that falling from a seizure is what killed Jett.  So, I have issues with that and the COS for many other reasons. 

So, I do wonder what the real deal is regarding cancer treatment for John's wife.  Many in the COS are not free to speak out and so what is officially released is suspect, imo. 

From what I have read, I suspect Kelly did a mix of traditional treatment and COS auditing and other culty bullshit.  Since she kept this news private, there is no way for us to know what stage she was when diagnosed, when she started traditional treatment, what treatment she underwent, and when she stopped said treatment.  The doctors at MD Anderson are not going to comment on anything.  They only way they could is if she never was a patient there.  She may have just gone there for a consult and left.  I do know that while the COS has an official position on many topics, that official position is always geared to making the cult look more legitimate.  They would never publicly tell a high profile person like Kelly not to seek traditional treatments, but behind the scenes they would put the screws on her. 

I know the church is completely against any form of psychiatry and I could see them lumping seizures in with other brain issues.  In their view, antidepressants are the work of the devil and I could easily see them lumping anti-seizure drugs in with them.  Many a drug that was initially designed to treat epilepsy has been used in psychiatry.  

Whenever I see a news story about the COS and it's members, I always head on over to Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker.  I find the comment section here to be very illuminating since most of the commentators are ex-COS.  The best commentators kept the receipts as it were. 

https://tonyortega.org/2020/07/13/kelly-preston-dies-lisa-marie-presley-loses-son-to-suicide-scientology-still-sucks/

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I can say that no amount of signage, or news stories about drownings (which happen every year) will keep people from making poor water decisions.

I live near Lake Michigan and absolutely agree with the above.  People do absolutely stupid things every day around open water because they think they can handle whatever happens because “hey, I am a good swimmer” Except they aren’t in a calm, clear, clean pool.  Open water is a whole different story.

I will never forget one of our local weather guys about having a stroke from worry as they were showing live footage of people walking out near the end of a Lake Michigan pier during a storm with waves sweeping across it. There were kids, families, people walking dogs, idiots of all sorts walking past barricades and warning signs.  And this was at night!  In the dark! 

• Love 5

It is just that John's first girlfriend died in his arms and that was quite a while ago. So for it to happen to Preston seemed like deja vu all over again for John. It seemed like they were both succumbed to breast cancer. Very sad.

I just read a statement about Naya Rivera, and the investigator said that from talking to her son, they both were swimming, and she boosted him out of the water, back into the boat.   Then when he turned to look at her, she had slipped under the water.   The investigator also said that in the afternoon, the lake would get currents that are treacherous. 

https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/the-last-hero-moment-of-naya-rivera-she-rescued-her-son-before-drowning-in-lake-piru-2715129.html#:~:text=Rivera's son%2C Josey Hollis Dorsey,her%2C she had disappeared underwater.

• Love 1

That poor, poor boy. I hope he has an amazing family to help him get through this. I hope he remembers his mother for getting him to safety rather than the moment she slipped away forever. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

She was. She wrote about it in her memoir. 

Fran Drescher had a one scene role in "Saturday Night Fever" and she tells this funny story about running into John Travolta years later at a red carpet when he was with his wife Kelly Preston:

• Love 7

So sad about Naya. She was young, beautiful, and talented. I knew it didn’t sound good as soon as I heard the story, but I’m sure lots of people, especially her loved ones, prayed she was okay somewhere. It didn’t feel final until they found her. 😞 I pray for her little boy and all her family. 

• Love 12

I remember her from Living Single as the cable lady who had a date with Kyle in the episode where he and Max ended up breaking up, and from A Different World in the recast version of Whitley's young stepmother (she didn't get to say a lot, mostly endured funny barbs from Whitley's mom, played by Diahann Carroll).  She had been on Different World in an earlier episode, but I can't remember the character from seeing just the name, maybe Dwayne or Ron's date.   RIP.

• Love 1
(edited)

Civil Rights Icon and Congressman John Lewis has died at age 80, according to an AOL notification just sent to my iPhone. He had Pancreatic Cancer.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add info.

Olympic figure skater Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya has died. Neither article gives details about the cause of death. I saw a link which said she jumped from a window, but it was the Daily Fail, so I refuse to click on it. She was only 20! Tragic.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/07/18/ekaterina-alexandrovskaya-dies-figure-skater/?partner=Yahoo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jul/18/ekaterina-alexandrovskaya-australian-figure-skater-dies-aged-20

1 hour ago, praeceptrix said:

Olympic figure skater Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya has died. Neither article gives details about the cause of death. I saw a link which said she jumped from a window, but it was the Daily Fail, so I refuse to click on it. She was only 20! Tragic.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/07/18/ekaterina-alexandrovskaya-dies-figure-skater/?partner=Yahoo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jul/18/ekaterina-alexandrovskaya-australian-figure-skater-dies-aged-20

This was mentioned in the Figure Skating thread:

(edited)
26 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

This was mentioned in the Figure Skating thread:

Thanks. I've never checked out that thread (indeed, I suspect that I have not checked out most of the threads here!).

That poor woman. Depression is hell, and I suspect that the pressures of competition made it worse. I hope that she was not abused by any of her coaches (I am assuming that the sport is no less toxic than the other sports which rely on starting very young).

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Love 1

Galyn Görg died the day before her 56th birthday

Bummer!  I remember seeing her name in many TV and film credits.  One of those actors that may not necessarily be HUGE but always working.  Her name was so distinctive, you couldn't help but notice it.

I remember her from the cult classic "America 3000" in which she played the best friend of the leader of a group of women warriors in a post apocalyptic America. 

• Love 3

Hot take: Regis was the greatest Millionaire of host of all time, point blank and the period. The show was never the same after he left.

Jeopardy! is airing reruns for a special "Best of Celebrity Jeopardy!" week starting Monday--the very first episode from 1992 is that day, with Carol Burnett, Donna Mills...and Regis.

I always adored him, and I'm glad he got nearly a decade of retirement after leaving Live! in 2011. It was certainly well deserved. His name is Latin for "king"--and on television, he was most certainly that, a king. RIP. :'( 

• Love 17