Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I keep thinking she may have gotten caught on an underwater branch or something. As someone who vividly remembers being caught undertow as young girl, I can't imagine how helpless she may have felt, just trying to get back to her child. I do hope their is a discovery soon, for her family's sake. 

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's exponentially less likely than drowning.  Snatched by whom?  How?  For what purpose if there's no ransom demand?  This is life, not a crime drama.

Drowned bodies routinely take days to be found, and this lake has particularly low visibility and extensive undergrowth in the area the boat was discovered that will extend that process (and hers isn't even the only body on this lake to take a while to find).  Just as easily as she could have, say, found her feet entangled and become submerged is how readily such entanglement - and limited visibility (inches, not feet) combined with searchers' mere best guess as to her last known location based on where the boat was found - could delay recovery.

I just don't understand looking for fantastical storylines in place of what seems to be an equal parts traumatic and typical drowning. 

There is also a credible witness to what happened, her son.  Although he is only 4, he said she got into the water to swim and never came out.  How could someone have taken her without him seeing?   Obviously, he's young and innocent and didn't understand the implications when she didn't return to the boat; but he certainly would've noticed and told the police if she left with another person.

The odds of someone being grabbed for nefarious purposes in the middle of the day, randomly, are astronomical. 

Her body is in the water and it will probably take a while, but it will most likely be found.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

They are searching the cabins again -- and people are begging to be allowed to take part.    There are literally people on facebook telling others to keep the faith that she will be found alive.    I highly doubt it.    The Sheriff's Dept. does this all the time.   They know what they are talking about.  Unfortunately this is a sad tragic accident.   I feel so for her son.

12 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

There are literally people on facebook telling others to keep the faith that she will be found alive. 

I think this is why people are even suggesting she was taken. If someone kidnapped her there is a chance she is alive. If she got tangled in weeds and held underwater, given the amount of time that has passed, she's dead. I do hope, for the sake of her loved ones, that they find her body soon. I don't think there is much chance she's alive unless she was taken but that does seen highly unlikely. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't think there is much chance she's alive unless she was taken but that does seen highly unlikely. 

Or ran (well, swam and then ran) away. This also seems unlikely because if you were going to do that, why would you take your young son out on the boat with you and then just leave him there? Also, I may have watched too much TV and read too many crime reports.

44 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Or ran (well, swam and then ran) away. This also seems unlikely because if you were going to do that, why would you take your young son out on the boat with you and then just leave him there?

Unless it is proven true, I refuse to believe she would do that to her son. That is just a level of horribly cruelty I can't deal with. I feel that if she were to kill herself she wouldn't do it in front of her young child. 

I think she just went for a quick swim and got stuck underwater. A tragedy to be sure, but just a terrible, terrible accident. 

• Love 18
5 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

That’s horrible. He wasn’t on my radar, but suicide is always traumatic.

His poor parents! Lisa Marie seems to have barely managed stay afloat the last few years as it is. I hope SOMEONE out there is TRULY looking out of her especially. I can't say I have any insight as to what Mr. Keough's demons may have been but it's hard to imagine that he didn't feel at least some pressure being the only known male descendant of Mr. Presley's!  Oh, and I hope others are watching out for his grandmother and sisters,too. 

11 minutes ago, Blergh said:

His poor parents! Lisa Marie seems to have barely managed stay afloat the last few years as it is. I hope SOMEONE out there is TRULY looking out of her especially. I can't say I have any insight as to what Mr. Keough's demons may have been but it's hard to imagine that he didn't feel at least some pressure being the only known male descendant of Mr. Presley's!  Oh, and I hope others are watching out for his grandmother and sisters,too. 

Regarding the bolded: The obit articles I’ve been reading at least implied his death may have been depression-related.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

I hope she's somehow reunited with her tragic son Jett with his mind healed. Of course, as sad as this has to be for the Travolta family, I suppose it's better that Miss Preston didn't die before her firstborn. Of course, her youngest Benjamin is 10 so that child will have to deal with his teens and adulthood without his mother. RIP, Miss Preston. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

Well, I wasn't expecting that. RIP.  Looks like she chose to keep it private. Good for her that she did. I semi-wonder if any possible fertility treatments she got might have contributed to her breast cancer. I thought the same thing about Elizabeth Edwards who made the decision to use fertility treatments to have more children after her son died as a teenager. She was diagnosed in 2004 and lost her battle six years later. I don't think Kelly ever clarified if she used her own eggs in IVF or donor eggs, though. 

Edited by methodwriter85
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Well, I wasn't expecting that. RIP.  Looks like she chose to keep it private. Good for her that she did. I semi-wonder if any possible fertility treatments she got might have contributed to her breast cancer. I thought the same thing about Elizabeth Edwards who made the decision to use fertility treatments to have more children after her son died as a teenager. She was diagnosed in 2004 and lost her battle six years later. I don't think Kelly ever clarified if she used her own eggs in IVF or donor eggs, though. 

Kelly was something like 47 when her son was born.  The odds of a woman her age conceiving naturally with her own eggs or even with in vitro fertilization, is very low.  Something like one half of one percent of women that age can conceive.  Chances are, she used a donor egg to conceive her youngest.  I believe she did vaguely reference fertility treatments in an interview years ago.  Her son looks nothing like the other kids, which can happen naturally, but also points to a donor egg.

Fertility drugs have been linked to an increased risk of ovarian cancer in women.

• Useful 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Fertility drugs have been linked to an increased risk of ovarian cancer in women.

She died of breast cancer. She chose to keep her health issues private from her having a later in life child to her breast cancer. One cannot blame her for choosing to not discuss them based on all of the speculation and “fan” diagnoses of her son Jet’s entire life and his death.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 13
On 7/11/2020 at 6:45 PM, Calvada said:

Love the opening paragraph about how he's known only 2 perfect people, one being "that son of a bitch Martin Short" and of course, Carl Reiner.  Hee!  

Martin Short's memoir, I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend, shows what a lovely human being he is.  I highly recommend the audio-book version. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

I am shocked. I'll always remember her deflowering Arnold in TWINS, the third best line in JERRY MAGUIRE after "Show me the money!" and "You had me at hello." and SKY HIGH.

My favorite line others ever was in Space Camp after NASA answered back.

• Love 4

57 is just way too young. Secret Admirer is where I first noticed her from, with C. Thomas Howell, Corey Haim, and so many recognizable faces. The movie was not that good, but she was quite stunning there as well as Twins. Such an attractive woman, though. I mean, who could forget that Maroon 5 music video?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

His poor parents! Lisa Marie seems to have barely managed stay afloat the last few years as it is. I hope SOMEONE out there is TRULY looking out of her especially. I can't say I have any insight as to what Mr. Keough's demons may have been but it's hard to imagine that he didn't feel at least some pressure being the only known male descendant of Mr. Presley's!  Oh, and I hope others are watching out for his grandmother and sisters,too. 

10 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: The obit articles I’ve been reading at least implied his death may have been depression-related.

He was also raised in Scientology.  

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

This is going to sound horrible, but I'm glad, if only because it would be horrible to think of her remains never being found. At least her family can bury her. I wanted a happier outcome, but I knew better.

Santana Lopez was a magnificent bitch who didn't give a flying fuck about what anyone thought of her. I'd take that over Brittany using her stupidity as an excuse to play the victim any day. Naya was awesome in that role and I loved her unabashed attitude in her Sorry Not Sorry memoir.

I also loved her cameo in the M&Ms commercial. 

• Love 16
4 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

My favorite line others ever was in Space Camp after NASA answered back.

"Whip me, beat me, take away my charge card - NASA is talking!"

That's the film I associate her with, too.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She died of breast cancer. She chose to keep her health issues private from her having a later in life child to her breast cancer. One cannot blame her for choosing to not discuss them based on all of the speculation and “fan” diagnoses of her son Jet’s entire life and his death.

Yes, I know.  Elizabeth Edwards, who also underwent fertility treatments after the death of a child, died of ovarian cancer, which may have been linked to fertility drugs, was also mentioned in the post.

Breast cancer is not as well studied, but it appears that fertility treatments increase the risk of early onset breast cancer, before age 50, which doesn't apply to Kelly Preston, either.

I'm glad Naya Rivera's body has been found, both for her family's sake and to prevent the morbidly curious from trying to find her remains and to prevent ridiculous rumors that spring up in situations like this.  For example, all of the fans who clamored for the cabins near the lake to be searched again because they were just sure she would've been able to get out of the lake and would've gone there.  

Edited by doodlebug
3 hours ago, kieyra said:

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

This is going to sound horrible, but I'm glad, if only because it would be horrible to think of her remains never being found. At least her family can bury her. I wanted a happier outcome, but I knew better.

I certainly hope this is her body, not only for her family, but if it's not her, whose body is it? 

• Love 4

Poor John Travolta - Kelly Preston is the second love of his to succumb to breast cancer (the first was Diana Hyland, way back in 1977). Ditto to what has already said about Naya Rivera. I actually remember her most from Family Matters - she played Gwendolyn, the adorable little girl sweet on young Richie. 💔

(edited)
3 minutes ago, GaT said:

I certainly hope this is her body, not only for her family, but if it's not her, whose body is it? 

I'm sure they are virtually certain, they know what she looked like and probably the color and style of her swimsuit.  The odds that two young women with dark hair wearing the same swimsuit drowned in the lake in recent days are miniscule.  The coroner will just confirm using dental records most likely.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 11
18 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Poor John Travolta - Kelly Preston is the second love of his to succumb to breast cancer (the first was Diana Hyland, way back in 1977). Ditto to what has already said about Naya Rivera. I actually remember her most from Family Matters - she played Gwendolyn, the adorable little girl sweet on young Richie. 💔

It is really eerie when two very attractive women succumbs to breast cancer. My sympathy to John amid this hard time.

• Love 4
(edited)

According to the Sheriff’s office she and her son were swimming. She put him in the boat and when he turned around she disappeared under the water. They said it is too soon to know what happened but said the unanchored boat may have started to drift and she was able to save him but not herself. I know some of the previous drownings there happened in a similar way. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

That is so sad about Naya.  Her poor son.  I saw this on twitter:

officials believe the boat started drifting (not anchored) Rivera mustered enough energy to get her son on the boat, but not herself. The 4yo told officials his mom boosted him on the boat & he looked back and saw her disappear under the water.

Edited by DearEvette
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

That is so sad about Naya.  Her poor son.  I saw this on twitter:

Just to clarify they said the possibility that the boat drifted is just speculation at this point. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Breast cancer is not as well studied, but it appears that fertility treatments increase the risk of early onset breast cancer, before age 50, which doesn't apply to Kelly Preston, either.

It is fairly well studied and there are no conclusions, also all of the more recent studies (Post 2015) indicate that there isn’t an increased risk for ovarian cancer.  Dying of breast cancer at 57 is sadly not at all unusual regardless of other health issues. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 6
7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It is fairly well studied and there are no conclusions, also all of the more recent studies (Post 2015) indicate that there isn’t an increased risk for ovarian cancer.  Dying of breast cancer at 57 is not at all unusual regardless of other health issues. 

Of course, at least three quarters of women who contract breast cancer do not have any risk factors at all.  As far as fertility treatments and breast and ovarian cancers, there are a lot of confounding variables.  For example, women with a history of infertility, especially those who never had a baby, are at higher risk for both breast and ovarian cancer.  It is also apparent that the lesser ovulation stimulation drugs such as Clomiphene (Clomid) do not increase the risk of ovarian cancer.  But a woman in her late 40's using a donor egg for IVF wouldn't have been on Clomid anyway.  And, based on the age when her cancer was diagnosed (55), Preston had postmenopausal breast cancer which has not been linked to fertility treatment.

I think we're both in agreement that we have no information that Kelly Preston had any risk factors other than being a woman and that any fertility treatments she received were not an issue in her case.

I'm a board certified OB/GYN in practice 34 years; I feel comfortable with the information I've shared.

• Useful 9
  • Love 8
(edited)
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think we're both in agreement that we have no information that Kelly Preston had any risk factors other than being a woman and that any fertility treatments she received were not an issue in her case.

If that’s the case  I am absolutely confused about why you mentioned it in regards to her death where we legit no nothing about her diagnosis or treatment. 

Edited by biakbiak
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

If that’s the case  I am absolutely confused about why you mentioned it in regards to her death where we legit no nothing about her diagnosis or treatment. 

Someone else mentioned it which is why I responded with the information that Kelly Preston's particular situation was not related to any fertility treatments she received.  You might want to go back to early this morning and re-read the posts for context.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Dani said:

According to the Sheriff’s office she and her son were swimming. She put him in the boat and we he turned around she disappeared under the one. They said it is too soon to know what happened but said the unanchored boat may have started to drift and she was able to save him but not herself. I know some of the previous drownings there happened in a similar way. 

Yeah, based on her son's statement and the fact this very thing has happened before, it's the best guess.  It's heartbreaking to speculate as to her final minutes - the fear setting in upon becoming exhausted from the effort and realizing she might not be able to get them back to the boat, the relief at hoisting him up there to safety, and then going under.  It's so terribly sad that this happened; I don't know her, I've never even seen her in anything, but it makes me cry that someone only 33 years old was having a nice afternoon out on a boat with her child, FaceTiming with family, and then, suddenly, dead an hour or so later.

At least the waiting for her body to resurface is over for the family, but the condition after being submerged in water for five days is another horrible thing to ponder.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Poor John Travolta - Kelly Preston is the second love of his to succumb to breast cancer (the first was Diana Hyland, way back in 1977).

Clearly, John Travolta causes breast cancer.  (What?  It's no goofier than some of the theories I've heard about a whole host of things.)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dani said:

According to the Sheriff’s office she and her son were swimming. She put him in the boat and we he turned around she disappeared under the water. They said it is too soon to know what happened but said the unanchored boat may have started to drift and she was able to save him but not herself. I know some of the previous drownings there happened in a similar way. 

Yes. Social media comments have said that lake has a nasty undertow.  Hopefully warning signs will now go up.  R.I.P to Ms. Rivera.  It was the ending I sadly expected and my heart goes out to her family and friends.  The only consolation is they know instead of uncertainty hanging over them forever. 

• Love 1

I do feel sympathy for Ms. Rivera’s family. They must be devastated. It’s a relief her son survived. I hope that the story, if it’s accurate, as to how it happened, will warn others of what not to do. Her actions were very unsafe. It’s incredible that her son was not killed too. When a child’s safety is endangered that way, I find it unacceptable. It may have been an accident, but, was totally preventable. I hope that it was an isolated incident. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope that the story, if it’s accurate, as to how it happened, will warn others of what not to do. 

She is the 9th person to drown there, the town putting signs up warning people of the dangers would have been enough to warn others what not to do. At this point I would say the town has a big responsibility for her death.

I’m not sure how a warning sign would have helped prevent what happened, if it happened like they say. A big rule is to never swim alone. Most adults know this. Swimming with a toddler doesn’t count as another adult. They can’t help you if you’re in trouble. Plus, you risk their life.  Jumping off an unsecured boat to swim...very unsafe, even in calm water. And never swim in open water in a lake without life vest.  It’s so reckless all the way around that it boggles the mind. I just wonder what she was thinking. 

• Love 7