Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
32 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Damn. When they started talking about him needing a double lung transplant my heart sank. RIP. 

When his wife said he was too sick to survive a double lung transplant, I knew he was never getting out of there.  Actually, with all the complications he suffered, his chances of being neurologically intact were small and he likely would've ended up living in some sort of care facility for the rest of his life.  There are fates worse than death.  His wife is a true warrior, though, and their baby is beautiful.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

Sad but unfortunately not surprising based on the updates his wife gave about his health. I hadn't heard of him before so curious, did he have any pre-existing conditions or previous health issues? Because if not, it's crazy how hard the virus hit him if he was a healthy 40 year old. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Actually, with all the complications he suffered, his chances of being neurologically intact were small and he likely would've ended up living in some sort of care facility for the rest of his life.  There are fates worse than death. 

That has been my thought for a while.  It's just so tragic he wound up in that position - what a wild series of complications.  At only 41, he should have had so much life ahead of him, and now he's only ever going to exist to his son in photos/videos and the memories shared with him by all those who loved Cordero.  That is incredibly sad.

It sounds like his family takes comfort from having been able to be with him when he died, and that's a chance not all loved ones of COVID-19 victims got, so I'm relieved for them they at least got that in the midst of this nightmare.

• Love 14

TMZ has a story on Nick Cordero passing that includes some tweets from his wife. One of them has a picture of them holding hands, & you can see how thin his wrist & arm is. The poor guy must have been skin & bones by then. If he had lived, I don't know if he would have ever recovered from this.

• Love 1

Not surprising, with each update more and more bleak.  But so terribly sad, especially I think since the updates from his wife made this more personal for all of us, and made us so aware of the devastation this disease can cause to the human body.  I can't help but think of the huge number of other families who have experienced loss, who are grieving.  About 130,000 in America now, and more each day, each minute.  

• Love 1

I just read an article that said Nick had lost 60 pounds while he was hospitalized. And he wasn't a big guy to begin with...

I hadn't heard of him before he contracted Covid, but man, I was really rooting for him and hoping he could pull through.

R.I.P., kind sir. You put up a hell of a fight. 

• Love 2

I will admit to not having heard of this young actor before coronavirus, but if his death gets young people's attention and helps them understand that this fucking disease is not just deadly to the elderly and those with serious preexisting conditions, then his legacy will be greater than anything he performed on the stage.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
(edited)
4 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Sad but unfortunately not surprising based on the updates his wife gave about his health. I hadn't heard of him before so curious, did he have any pre-existing conditions or previous health issues? Because if not, it's crazy how hard the virus hit him if he was a healthy 40 year old. 

I posted a few days ago that I had been following his story these past few months because it really affected me, so I “know” the answer, based on past articles:  his wife and friends have said that he had no prior health issues at all and was in excellent physical health.  As he was a Broadway musical actor, I would imagine his physical condition (and lung capacity) had been pretty strong before this. Not that anyone (preexisting condition or not) deserves anything like the agony Nick went through.  I’ve actually wondered if the doctors were too aggressive in prolonging his treatment.  It has looked so dire for so long, how exactly do you know when to say enough is enough? 

2 hours ago, GaT said:

I have no idea what his health was like before, but this got me wondering if this is how all the other 100,000 plus people in the US died too. I haven't heard anything about how people die, just that they do.

His case is unusual in how long he lingered, but I have read that people linger on ventilators for up to a few weeks in a fair number of cases, which is why states reopening takes a few months to show higher numbers:  people have to go out, come in contact, get sick, go to the hospital after days of sickness (people seem to deteriorate after several (and up to 10) days at home), go on ventilator and then die.  There was a CNN op-ed piece a month or so ago about a son who had to watch his father linger on a vent for two or three weeks or so, and just before they thought they could take him off, he died.  It has made me think about what to say if I get this:  no ventilator?  I guess celebrity stories like Nick’s can help draw attention to having those types of conversations in households.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

The minute I saw Ennio Morricone name, the theme from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly played in my head.  I'm glad  he finally won a competitive Academy Award for The Hateful Eight in 2016.   The NPR link below contains clips from three Morricone scores:  The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars, and The Mission.  R.I.P. Signor Morricone.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/06/516840947/ennio-morricone-the-sound-of-the-american-west-dies-at-91

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8
(edited)
8 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I posted a few days ago that I had been following his story these past few months because it really affected me, so I “know” the answer, based on past articles:  his wife and friends have said that he had no prior health issues at all and was in excellent physical health.  As he was a Broadway musical actor, I would imagine his physical condition (and lung capacity) had been pretty strong before this. Not that anyone (preexisting condition or not) deserves anything like the agony Nick went through.  I’ve actually wondered if the doctors were too aggressive in prolonging his treatment.  It has looked so dire for so long, how exactly do you know when to say enough is enough? 

His case is unusual in how long he lingered, but I have read that people linger on ventilators for up to a few weeks in a fair number of cases, which is why states reopening takes a few months to show higher numbers:  people have to go out, come in contact, get sick, go to the hospital after days of sickness (people seem to deteriorate after several (and up to 10) days at home), go on ventilator and then die.  There was a CNN op-ed piece a month or so ago about a son who had to watch his father linger on a vent for two or three weeks or so, and just before they thought they could take him off, he died.  It has made me think about what to say if I get this:  no ventilator?  I guess celebrity stories like Nick’s can help draw attention to having those types of conversations in households.

I think that part of the reason he lived so long in such dire circumstances is because he WAS a strong, healthy guy before he got sick.  Someone with less cardiovascular and pulmonary fitness wouldn't have lived long enough to develop the complications he had. 

As for his doctors, his wife said that she was told at least 4 times that he wouldn't make it through the night; so I do think they were surprised at his strength and that probably did color their judgement that this guy might be the one in a million who makes it.  His wife also made it very clear that she was not ready to stop trying during most of the ordeal and she would've had the ultimate power to decide when 'enough is enough'.  The doctors couldn't stop without her consent and I expect she never gave it until very recently.  The only way to get around the family's wishes in a situation like this is to go to court and I am sure none of his caregivers wanted  to cause her any more pain.  I expect that every time they told her they thought he was dying, she was given the opportunity to ask that he not be resuscitated (a 'no code' or DNR order) and she declined.

Last week when she said they removed the wires for the temporary pacemaker because he kept getting infections and they wanted to remove as much artificial tubing and such as possible, I remember thinking, 'something has changed for the worse and they are pulling back'.  I think that was probably the point where everyone realized that the inevitable was approaching and I wouldn't be surprised if she agreed to the DNR at that time.  It seems clear that there was a DNR in place on Sunday when he died since she said it was peaceful and she and his mother were praying and singing as it happened.  Code Blues are the antithesis of peaceful.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

Always appreciate your medical insights as a doctor, @doodlebug.  I just remember his wife had posted that his doctors had told her at one point that if Nick were aged 70 or something like that, they would be “having a different conversation” with her about the nature of his treatment (which made me wonder at the time if they might be advising to be more aggressive when maybe that wasn’t the “best” (whatever that means) approach).  And then when Amanda Kloots reported that Nick had regained consciousness, I thought, wow, I would have given up all hope weeks prior and probably let someone in that bad condition go, and maybe that would have been the wrong decision.

I do appreciate that it is a give-and-take between doctor and family on how far to go.  And she had previously given instruction to resuscitate him before this final deterioration, which is the difference from that CNN op-ed I mentioned: there, the family authorized ventilator, but had a DNR, which cut the situation off at a certain point.  I just feel so terrible for Amanda Kloots that her agony was prolonged for such a long time.  And now she gets thrust into a whole different type of agony, poor woman.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 14

Oh Mas, RIP Ennio Morricone.  His  music is so evocative. One of my recent favorites is Death Rides a Horse (aka As Man to Man).  Most recently heard in that violent (is there any other) scene from Kill Bill Vol 1.  I love when the vocals kicks in just so majestic.  I feel like I need to a march onto a barren plain wearing a breastplate and a couple of six shooters to hold off invaders.  LOL.

• Love 4

Hopefully, medical scientists and examiners will carefully and thoroughly  study Mr. Cordero's illness, complications and courses of treatment to eventually  find more effective ways to treat others with that horrible affliction- and, even though nothing can bring him back, perhaps in time THAT can bring his bereft family some comfort. RIP, Mr. Cordero. 

• Love 12
(edited)

The legendary Charlie Daniels has died of a stroke at the age of 83.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/07/06/charlie-daniels-country-music-dies/5384087002/

There were things about his personality that were...polarizing, to put it politely, but no one could deny his talent on the fiddle. "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" is both a classic rock radio AND a classic country radio staple, and not a lot of people can make a claim to have a song that qualifies for BOTH of those categories! Truly amazing. RIP. :'( 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Cinema Paradiso is, hands down, my favorite film score ever. Thanks for the beautiful music, Mr. Morricone.

You and me both - so beautiful.  It's deceptively light, and you don't even realize while listening how it's drawn you in.  The end of that film with the Love theme makes me cry every single time.  That man knew how to perfectly choreograph music to the image.  How lovely it's been to watch that dance.    

• Love 5

Like many of you here, I only heard of Nick since his Covid-19 diagnosis. So sad.

My brother-in-law was a healthy and active 40-year-old who contracted COVID around the same time as Nick. He was intubated for almost two months. He has been in a rehab center for about just as long learning to walk, talk, and raise his arms again. 

This disease is scary, and I am very sorry for all touched by it. This includes doctors and nurses.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, UYI said:

The legendary Charlie Daniels has died of a stroke at the age of 83.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/07/06/charlie-daniels-country-music-dies/5384087002/

There were things about his personality that were...polarizing, to put it politely, but no one could deny his talent on the fiddle. "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" is both a classic rock radio AND a classic country radio staple, and not a lot of people can make a claim to have a song that qualifies for BOTH of those categories! Truly amazing. RIP. 😢

Yeah, the old adage “don’t speak ill of the dead”, is what I had to remind myself of, when I heard he passed.

• Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

Yeah, the old adage “don’t speak ill of the dead”, is what I had to remind myself of, when I heard he passed.

I'll admit, I hesitated a bit about what to post here when I first he heard that he passed. On one hand, there's a LOT of views of his that I didn't agree with (the understatement of the century, coming from me here), but on the other hand, I would be lying through my teeth if I acted like he didn't have a role in making me a fan of southern rock as a young teenage girl in the early-mid 2000's (I was NOT one of the cool kids in high school, needless to say, lol). Because he did, along with the Allman Brothers Band (and it's worth noting here that the views of Gregg Allman--may he RIP himself; he passed away three years ago--in particular were QUITE different from a lot of the ones that CD frequently espoused) and SO many other acts. And he DID record and make music with a wide range of artists, including ones people might not expect, like Bob Dylan. And his ability as a fiddle player was absolutely singular. 

So...yeah, a lot of mixed feelings from me today. *shrug*

One more very interesting factoid about Charlie that I'll leave here: In Ken Burns' docuseries about country music that aired last year, there was footage of CD playing alongside bluegrass legend Earl Scruggs and a handful of other country/bluegrass artists in Washington, DC at a Vietnam War PROTEST--the only group of artists from the genre there that day! Oh how times change, huh? 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 10
(edited)
7 hours ago, UYI said:

Also, one of my favorite commercials EVER:

I loved that commercial. When you realize he's been fiddling in the middle of a fancy restaurant and not onstage, it's really well done! 

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Like many of you here, I only heard of Nick since his Covid-19 diagnosis. So sad.

My brother-in-law was a healthy and active 40-year-old who contracted COVID around the same time as Nick. He was intubated for almost two months. He has been in a rehab center for about just as long learning to walk, talk, and raise his arms again. 

This disease is scary, and I am very sorry for all touched by it. This includes doctors and nurses.

Best wishes to your brother-in-law and your family.

• Love 14
(edited)
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

On July 7,2020 Mary Kay Letourneau   died of cancer at age 58. That is all I have to say on this subject at this time. 

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/mary-kay-letourneau-dies-at-58/281-3d2eddeb-20b4-4955-8ba5-d351ac4800b7

I read up on the story after I saw the headline.  Just as shocking today as it was then, actually more so, imo.

Apparently, it happened quickly. On hospice for one month.   She is survived by 6 children.  Four from her first marriage. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Naya Rivera, Pioneering Glee Star, Is Presumed Dead at 33

Naya Rivera, the singer and actor best known for playing the acid-tongued cheerleader Santana Lopez on Glee, is presumed dead from a suspected boating accident in Lake Piru, California. On Thursday, July 9, the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office announced that its missing person search had turned into a recovery mission, and that “investigators believe Rivera drowned in what appears to be a tragic accident.” She was 33.

Wow, lots of tragedy with that cast. 😕

On 7/9/2020 at 11:53 AM, VCRTracking said:

Steve Martin's tribute to Carl Reiner in the New York Times:

Love the opening paragraph about how he's known only 2 perfect people, one being "that son of a bitch Martin Short" and of course, Carl Reiner.  Hee!  

• Love 17
(edited)
17 minutes ago, GaT said:

The  more time goes by & they don't find Naya's body in the lake, the more I worry that she's been snatched.

They have detailed all the reasons this is not a quick process including the fact that underwater visibility is only one to two feet and dangerous for divers. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1