Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

Bilbo Baggins has sailed from the Grey Havens into the west. Ian Holm has passed away, age 88, of causes related to Parkinson's Disease.

Damnit, not Ian Holm!  I knew of him way before Lord of the Rings (which I never saw since it wasn't my cup of tea).  But HolocaustJesus of Nazareth. Alien. Dance with a Stranger.  Wonderful actor.

R.I.P. Mr. Holm.

Edited by MissAlmond
added movie
  • Love 3

My favorite Ian Holm performance was as the ostensibly sleazy lawyer in The Sweet Hereafter (one of the most heart-wrenching movies ever made). It was a richly complex and delicate portrayal that only the most gifted actors can pull off. We'll never forget you, Mr. Holm.

And let me just add, fuck you, Parkinson's.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

That makes me sad. In everything I've seen him, he was always memorable. Somehow besides Bilbo, I was reminded today of the earnest priest in the Fifth Element.  In retrospect,  I'm having a lot of problems with that movie but not with his character. 

• Love 2

Despite his long list of credits, the only thing I've ever seen Ian Holm in is Chariots of Fire, and that was nearly 40 years ago -- but not only did I recognize the name, I could immediately put a face to it. 

• Love 6
On 6/17/2020 at 3:57 PM, Annber03 said:

My mom also used to like playing another parody song of that sort called "Leader of the Laundromat" :D. 

Oh man, your mom was BOSS.  That was a MAD Magazine parody song.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Oh man, your mom was BOSS.  That was a MAD Magazine parody song.

It was also recorded by the Surfaris, whoever they were.  My parents had their album when I was a kid and my siblings and I found that song to be hilarious.

'My folks were always putting her down (down, down)                                                                 Because her laundry came back brown (brown, brown)'

• Love 4
On 6/19/2020 at 8:10 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

My favorite Ian Holm performance was as the ostensibly sleazy lawyer in The Sweet Hereafter (one of the most heart-wrenching movies ever made). It was a richly complex and delicate portrayal that only the most gifted actors can pull off. We'll never forget you, Mr. Holm.

One of the best movies I've ever watched -- and I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it a second time.  It was that devastating.  

• Love 4
(edited)

The Lost Boys was the best movie he ever did. I don't think the other films can be compared to that film. This is what made the Coreys and the rest is history. Someday we will go to Santa Cruz and see the boardwalk. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4

I am very sorry to hear about Joel Schumacher. His movies were my childhood. I know he gets made fun of because of Batman and Robin and The Phantom of the Opera but he made good movies. My father loves Falling Down. I love The Lost Boys though that is the one movie of his everyone seems to love. Flatliners is a guilty pleasure. Yes even Batman Forever is fun saw it opening day.  St.Elmo's Fire is well 80s peak. I've been blasting the soundtrack to both The Lost Boys and Batman Forever. R.I.P

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

The Lost Boys was the best movie he ever did. I don't think the other films can be compared to that film. This is what made the Coreys and the rest is history. Someday we will go to Santa Cruz and see the boardwalk. 

Until SNL and Jon Hamm did that sketch about him I completely forgot about the "Sax Man" from the movie!

capello_header_465_456_int.jpg.83a4a615aff1c7c78d8c317cdf8fb3e8.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

I was racking my brain trying to figure out why that name sounded familiar and then I realized it was because he was the father to Liz Hurley's child.  Going down that rabbit hole led to me finding out that he was involved with two paternity cases at the same time and he was the father of both. And they appear to be his only children.

(That led me down another rabbit hole about the paternity cases.  How has no one done a movie about Anthony Pellicano yet? )

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Until SNL and Jon Hamm did that sketch about him I completely forgot about the "Sax Man" from the movie!

capello_header_465_456_int.jpg.83a4a615aff1c7c78d8c317cdf8fb3e8.jpg

How could anyone forget him, lol. I love The Lost Boys and the soundtrack is probably my most listened to of all time.

I love me some Flatliners too, didn't remember he did that one. RIP sir.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I was racking my brain trying to figure out why that name sounded familiar and then I realized it was because he was the father to Liz Hurley's child.  Going down that rabbit hole led to me finding out that he was involved with two paternity cases at the same time and he was the father of both. And they appear to be his only children.

(That led me down another rabbit hole about the paternity cases.  How has no one done a movie about Anthony Pellicano yet? )

I REALLY hope Miss Hurley  and Miss Bonder will be able to round up as many family friends to rally around their kids  during this time because it appears that Mr. Bing's death was the result of a suicide- and losing a parent at ANY age or any ANY circumstances is tough enough but to have a parent die this way (and especially with SO many unresolved issues about parenthood up in the air)! Let's hope one day before too long the KIDS will find their peace!

• Love 1

I was in fifth grade then, but yeah, I remember that song being everywhere. I always associate it with bus rides to and from school in the wintertime.

Overplayed as it is, though, I still like the song. It's funny how it just takes the right outlet for some songs to finally take off. That's a neat story, and a nice closing statement from Seal about Schumacher. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That's a neat story, and a nice closing statement from Seal about Schumacher. 

ITA.  What a wonderful story; very kind of Seal to share it.  I love Kiss From a Rose so thanks Joel Schumacher for your part in making it happen.  R.I.P.  

• Love 10
Just now, Popples said:

You beat me to it. This legend had a great run, and he was as sharp as a tack and caustically witty and wise right up to the end.  Well done, Mr. Reiner. Rest in Power, and thanks for a lifetime of humor, wit, and wisdom!

• Love 19

In addition to his lengthy writing, acting career and being the father of actor/director Rob Reiner, the now-deceased Mr. Carl Reiner was also the widower of Estelle who had the line "I'm having what SHE's having!" in When Harry Met Sally! Now that Mr. Reiner's no longer in this world, perhaps she CAN! RIP, Mr. Reiner! 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

In addition to his lengthy writing, acting career and being the father of actor/director Rob Reiner, the now-deceased Mr. Carl Reiner was also the widower of Estelle who had the line "I'm having what SHE's having!" in When Harry Met Sally! Now that Mr. Reiner's no longer in this world, perhaps she CAN! RIP, Mr. Reiner! 

Carl Reiner was also the former father-in-law of the late actress/director & Laverne & Shirley star Penny Marshall, who was married to his son Rob from 1971-1981.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Rob Reiner on Twitter (because apparently I can't embed Tweets here anymore):

"Last night my dad passed away. As I write this my heart is hurting. He was my guiding light."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

He lived a very full life, lived to 98 and was reasonably healthy for most of it. He was incredibly blessed with talent and fortune and we were fortunate that shared his gifts with us. R.I.P.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And at least corona didn't get him.

It's funny, Mel Brooks just had his birthday this last week...

• Love 11