Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

However you feel about the job Phyllis did, she was a trailblazer. And she had to put up with Jimmy the Greek and Brent Musburger.

Oh, I agree! I have to admire the fact that she not only knew her sports but also wasn't overwhelmed by these not always gallant cohosts! RIP, Miss George.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

However you feel about the job Phyllis did, she was a trailblazer. And she had to put up with Jimmy the Greek and Brent Musburger.

The SEC had to but up with Brent Musburger for far too long. RIP Phyllis George.

3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I was always happy when Fred Willard showed up on various TV shows. He was just really great. 

Same. Sad to hear of his passing. 

Quite a few names on the list today :(. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, rubaco said:

Fred Willard has died of natural causes. I've been watching him since the 1970s (Fernwood 2Night). 

Fred Willard, the actor’s actor, who’s been everywhere, yet was not a huge ‘star’.  

Someone who did it for the love of the job. We never necessarily sought out his shows for him specifically, but when we did see him, he always entertained us & made us laugh.

He’s probably very happily reunited w/his longtime wife.  Thank you for the smiles, Mr. Willard.

• Love 17

Frank was the one designer I liked on "Trading Spaces." I think Vern Yip and maybe Genevieve were the others. Hildy was awful and so was Doug. I never watched its newest iteration. Color me surprised that he had a wife.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Sweet sentiment from Genevieve Gorder about Frank Bielec's death (and I LOL at "he only painted chickens once" in the hashtags):

What a lovely, heartfelt written piece that is for Frank. He too was my favorite along with Vern and Genevieve, and Ty. I appreciated that Frank's vision was to create something wonderful. Hildy and Doug went for shocking and unliveable.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Frank was the one designer I liked on "Trading Spaces." I think Vern Yip and maybe Genevieve were the others. Hildy was awful and so was Doug. I never watched its newest iteration. Color me surprised that he had a wife.

You didn't miss much. They focused way too much on Doug and Hildi which I think may have done the reboot in. Too many episodes in such a short time with them participating somehow. Those two even got shipped over to the even shorter lived While You Were Out reboot.

• Love 2

Ken Osmond/Eddie Haskell is hard for me for the same reason that Patty Duke was.  I grew up with them and a little bit of the happiest part of my childhood combines with their memories.  Peace to all who love him.

• Love 14

From his obit: 

In 1970, Osmond joined the LAPD and was an officer until he retired in 1988. During one incident, he was shot at 5 times ... 4 of the bullets hit his bulletproof vest and the fifth ricocheted off his belt buckle.

I had no idea.

• Love 4
(edited)

I loved how June and Ward always saw right through Eddie's act. He was a genius because he was always unfailingly polite they had to put up with him! 

I first saw how he got injured as a cop from this tweet and went "Wow".

It's amazing he was on the force while also reprising his Eddie Haskell character on The New Leave it to Beaver show! He was also on the last season of Happy Days as a teacher at the run down high school Ted McGinley became principal of. The second he appeared the audience cheered because they recognized him. He pretty much acted like Eddie!

ETA: It's funny but when Leave it to Beaver started Osmond and Tony Dow's voices hadn't changed so when Eddie is doing his shtick with a high voice it's oddly adorable. Once he got older and his voice dropped though it became way more sleazier and creepy!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 9
(edited)

Eddie Haskell tells 2020 they're prettier than 2019 and 2020 just carts him away like that?

This hurts!  I loved watching Leave it to Beaver reruns as a kid.  At times, I still watch it today. In spite of jokes made at the show's expense, it also has universal truths of growing up.  One of them is knowing an Eddie Haskell.  My mother actually called one of my brother's friends Eddie Haskell.  So R.I.P Ken Osmond and thank you for creating such a memorable TV character.  Your Eddie Haskell will live on.  And 2020, you were lied to.  Stop it.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 13
(edited)

This one hurts my heart. 

I can remember in an interview Tony said that he was speeding one day and Ken pulled him over not realizing it was him.  Both of them were surprised to see the other one.  Tony didn't say if he got a ticket or not.

I also remember Barbara Billingsley raving about him.  She said he was a sweetheart and the complete opposite of Eddie.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 16
(edited)
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

There is only two actors alive so far from that show.

No. There are more.  Only two from the main cast but here are a few Leave it to Beaver cast members still alive:

Pamela Baird (Mary Ellen Rogers)

Veronica Cartwright (Violet Rutherford)

Robert Stevens (Larry Mondello)

Stephen Talbot  (Gilbert Bates) Talbot btw still has a very active career as a producer.

Jeri Weil (Judy Hensler)

Edited by MissAlmond
names in alphabetical order
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/15/2020 at 11:58 PM, praeceptrix said:

Photographer Astrid Kirchherr has died just short of her 82nd birthday. She was instrumental in creating the Beatles' image.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52687056

https://mobile.twitter.com/marklewisohn/status/1261338530019565573?s=20

An interview Astrid Kirchherr did with National Public Radio's Terry Gross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qqW7z8dAk

At 7:51, she refers to Stuart Sutcliffe as, "the love of her life." Call me sentimental but I would like to think Astrid and Stu are united in death in a way they couldn't be in life.

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 10
38 minutes ago, Jan Spears said:

An interview Astrid Kirchherr did with National Public Radio's Terry Gross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qqW7z8dAk

At 7:51, she refers to Stuart Sutcliffe as, "the love of her life." Call me sentimental but I would like to think Astrid and Stu are united in death in a way they couldn't be in life.

I hope so too. I've have seen some of the photos she has took in various Beatles book ive read but it's been really cool to see the ones I havent .

Ringo

Pete Best

George Harrison's widow

• Love 7

(I had a memory blip from the last post because I thought George Harrison had been gone for a long time. Is it common for celebrities to have posthumous social media presences now?)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Noooo!!  Not Eddie Haskell!! 😢

R.I.P., Mr. Osmond

I was just watching a Leave It To Beaver rerun today where Eddie was really obnoxious even for him. Beaver won a sports car in a raffle and Eddie killed Beaver's joy by telling him his parents would never let him keep it. (He was unfortunately right.) Today's youth are really deprived if "Eddie Haskell" isn't in their vocabulary. It's a tribute to Mr. Osmond's acting that he could play such an awful person when by all accounts he was a sweetheart. 😭

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Today's youth are really deprived if "Eddie Haskell" isn't in their vocabulary. It's a tribute to Mr. Osmond's acting that he could play such an awful person when by all accounts he was a sweetheart

I mean I am aware that Eddie Haskell was a parental kissup but when I was young no one referred to him and I am in my 40s and don’t feel deprived.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, kieyra said:

(I had a memory blip from the last post because I thought George Harrison had been gone for a long time. Is it common for celebrities to have posthumous social media presences now?)

His widow probably has that account set up to protect George's legacy.   She has the verified account so someone else doesn't.  If she didn't,  she or another family member would have to constantly monitor all channels of social media and then file a complaint each time another internet joker decided to impersonate George.  And there's no guarantee Twitter or Instagram would do anything about it.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I mean I am aware that Eddie Haskell was a parental kissup but when I was young no one referred to him and I am in my 40s and don’t feel deprived.

I think it's us "olds" that are becoming deprived. We're losing our shorthand - it used to be anyone would know what "He's such an Eddie Haskell" or "She's such a Gladys Kravitz" meant. Phrases we used to be able to use with anyone now get a "Wha?" from the younger set. I guess it's just the fickle finger of fate! 🙂 

This thread is normally reports of people I don't really know, but it's been pretty sad lately!

• Love 20
5 hours ago, kieyra said:

I guess you’d say it is. Most do things like continuing to promote the causes the celebrity cared about during their life, or annual events still held in the celebrity’s name. I follow at least a couple of official celebrity accounts on Twitter in the names of celebrities who are no longer with us, like the 1 that belonged to the late Dame Elizabeth Taylor (I began following  her account before she died) &, as I remember, her account tends to post about AIDS-related things, like her foundation; or maybe something on the anniversary of her birth or other dates that were special during her life, though it really doesn’t post that much.

• Useful 1

From Yahoo! Twilight Actor Gregory Tyree Boyce Dead at 30

According to the linked article, he was known for playing Tyler Crowley in the Twilight films. He & his girlfriend were both found dead in their Las Vegas condo, discovered by his cousin who noticed his car was still there when he was supposed to have been in LA. No cause of death has been announced. Boyce leaves behind a 10-year-old daughter; his girlfriend leaves behind a baby boy, Egypt.

The article headline referred to Boyce as a Twilight “star”; I changed the reference to “actor” because, while I have heard of the movies/books, I’ve never heard of him... so his character apparently wasn’t as prominent as those of Robert Pattinson &/or Kristen Stewart, actual stars of the movies.

I think it's us "olds" that are becoming deprived. We're losing our shorthand - it used to be anyone would know what "He's such an Eddie Haskell" or "She's such a Gladys Kravitz" meant. Phrases we used to be able to use with anyone now get a "Wha?" from the younger set. I guess it's just the fickle finger of fate!

I'm sure our parents were saying that when their cultural icons were dying too.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, kieyra said:

I had exactly the same reaction.  the voice in my head said 'wait', isn't George Harrison dead?  I thought I lost my mind for a moment.  (That part still could be true).

• Love 3
12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was just watching a Leave It To Beaver rerun today where Eddie was really obnoxious even for him. Beaver won a sports car in a raffle and Eddie killed Beaver's joy by telling him his parents would never let him keep it. (He was unfortunately right.) Today's youth are really deprived if "Eddie Haskell" isn't in their vocabulary. It's a tribute to Mr. Osmond's acting that he could play such an awful person when by all accounts he was a sweetheart. 😭

Yep, young people are missing out!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1
On 5/15/2020 at 11:58 PM, praeceptrix said:

Photographer Astrid Kirchherr has died just short of her 82nd birthday. She was instrumental in creating the Beatles' image.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52687056

https://mobile.twitter.com/marklewisohn/status/1261338530019565573?s=20

Gad, how did I miss this news?  Thanks for letting us know.  Her photos, and general aesthetic, were so influential.

On 5/16/2020 at 3:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Fred Willard, I loved him, he could deliver the most outrageous material, and keep a straight face.   He's the reason I love "Best in Show".    

I find many reasons to love Best in Show, but Fred is way up there.  His line about a dog leaving the show floor in disgrace, like Shoeless Joe Jackson, had me falling off our couch.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

Gad, how did I miss this news?  Thanks for letting us know.  Her photos, and general aesthetic, were so influential.

I find many reasons to love Best in Show, but Fred is way up there.  His line about a dog leaving the show floor in disgrace, like Shoeless Joe Jackson, had me falling off our couch.

I remember years ago renting Silver Streak starring Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor and at the end when the train is out of control and heading toward the station they cut to the control room and I went "Hey it's that guy!"(I didn't know his name yet, just saw him in a lot of things).

I love when Eddie finally got his comeuppance in "Beaver's Fear". Beaver gets Wally to take him with his friends to an amusement park but Beav's friends tell him how scary the rollercoaster is so he becomes terrified of going. Of course Eddie makes fun of him, and saying HE wouldn't be scared. When they go on Beav ends up loving it and Eddie, well...

pan-01.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Inquisitionist said:

I almost fell off the couch right now because I immediately heard Fred saying this line in my head. Thanks for the laugh.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

I remember years ago renting Silver Streak starring Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor and at the end when the train is out of control and heading toward the station they cut to the control room and I went "Hey it's that guy!"(I didn't know his name yet, just saw him in a lot of things).

I love when Eddie finally got his comeuppance in "Beaver's Fear". Beaver gets Wally to take him with his friends to an amusement park but Beav's friends tell him how scary the rollercoaster is so he becomes terrified of going. Of course Eddie makes fun of him, and saying HE wouldn't be scared. When they go on Beav ends up loving it and Eddie, well...

pan-01.jpg

Yes, Eddie was not just terrified, he fainted! 😆

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I almost fell off the couch right now because I immediately heard Fred saying this line in my head. Thanks for the laugh.  

Best in Show is one of those movies that you totally get and find hilarious or you just don’t think is funny at all. Reasonable minds can differ. I loved BiS so so much. Fred was hysterical. I remember watching it at JamDad’s house and he had his back to the TV working on his computer, but he could hear. He thought I was actually watching a documentary about a dog show and turned around at one point and said, “Dog show people are fucking nuts.” I laughed so hard. 

On the other hand, there is not one thing about Leave It to Beaver that I found funny.  I also don’t like the Three Stooges.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

He thought I was actually watching a documentary about a dog show and turned around at one point and said, “Dog show people are fucking nuts.” I laughed so hard. 

I used to watch dog shows and that was the thing that was brilliant about Best in Show. It was barely a parody. I adore that movie.

• Love 11