Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Kromm

In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

COVID19 has also claimed the life of actor Forrest Compton, best known for his nearly 14-year run on The Edge of Night. His castmate Sharon Gabet confirmed the news on her FB page.

https://shelterislandreporter.timesreview.com/2020/04/04/town-announces-the-first-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Because I watched that soap as a young girl, I had to look him up, and I remember him still!  Sad.

dowforrestnload.jpg

  • Sad 12

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I remember her as the mom on the beach finding out that her son had been killed by the shark.  I remember that withering look and slap she gave Roy Scheider (who, sadly, passed away in 2008).   

For being the fall guy for a Mayor who refuses to take a threat to the town seriously .....

RIP Ms. Fierro.

My mom always hated the scene of the beach where Mrs. Kitner is standing there looking for her kid who isn't ever going to come running out of the water.    

  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post

She was Mrs. Peel before Mrs. Peel.

That is, she was Steed's partner before Diana Rigg.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

Awww, The Virginian was one of my must-watch westerns.

R.I.P., Mr. Drury

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Llywela said:

The Avengers and James Bond star Honor Blackman dies aged 94

Because I watched it over and over as a kid, I associate her with The Cat and The Canary.  Dying peacefully at home with her family after 94 years of life is pretty much the ideal way to go.  It's unfortunate that if her family wants to have any sort of memorial gathering with others, that will have to wait, but all in all I hope they're comforted by the fact she enjoyed (and she did indeed seem to enjoy it) a long life.

I like this (from the linked obituary):
 

Quote

 

Blackman married twice: to Bill Sankey from 1948-56, and to British actor Maurice Kaufmann from 1961–75, with whom she adopted two children. She never remarried, saying she preferred to stay single.

“People can’t understand it,” she said. “Basically I’m a shy person and I like my own company. I couldn’t bear to be with someone now. I do exactly what I want to do, when I want to do it. I’ve always been like that… you’re only hindered by husbands!”

 

 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Aww... James Drury, aka The Virginian dead at 85 of natural causes.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/james-drury-dead-the-virginian-star-was-85-1202901615/ 

My husband is currently doing his semi-annual Virginian rewatch so this is sad on a personal level.  

He was the nationally-known celebrity on the first March of Dimes Telethon (Back then, they were “Teleramas”) I did as National Poster Child. It was in Lexington, KY in 1971. I was actually the 1972 Poster Child, but they had me “get my feet wet” by doing some Telethons in 1971.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, catlover79 said:

COVID19 has also claimed the life of actor Forrest Compton, best known for his nearly 14-year run on The Edge of Night. His castmate Sharon Gabet confirmed the news on her FB page.

https://shelterislandreporter.timesreview.com/2020/04/04/town-announces-the-first-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Sharon Gabet is from my hometown. I think we went to the same local college—but not at the same time.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The Virginian had one of the best opening themes ever. Skip the first 25 seconds to get to it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Al Kaline debuted with the Tigers only one week after graduating from high school. . He never played in the minor leagues, and never played for any other team.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ABay said:

The Virginian had one of the best opening themes ever. Skip the first 25 seconds to get to it.

Now I remember that opening.   It was fantastic! 

Also, Percy Faith wrote some great theme songs.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, ABay said:

She was Mrs. Peel before Mrs. Peel.

That is, she was Steed's partner before Diana Rigg.

Yes, she was Mrs. Cathy Gale.  I loved The Avengers as a little girl, but the first Avengers I saw (like everyone else in the USA) was the version with Diana Rigg.  I never even saw any of the Cathy Gale episodes until they started putting them out on home video in the 90's.

A couple of years ago COZITV ran the entire series all the way through and Mr Rat and I found it pretty fascinating, the way the show changed.  In Honor Blackman's era it was very very stylish, but not as campy as in Diana Riggs' era - more straightforwardly a suspense espionage show with less of the sci-fi elements.  Also, one of the cool things about Cathy Gale as a character is that she is presented on the show as being in her late thirties (as Blackman herself was at the time) and still a major babe  who is openly sleeping with Steed, when she feels like it.   And she's the one who wore black leather head to toe, not Riggs, who ditched that early on.  I wish I'd been able to see her when I was, in the words of Miss Jean Brodie, a girl of an impressionable age.

Edited to add: I hope that COZI or one of the other retro stations decided to start running The Avengers again now.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Yes, she was Mrs. Cathy Gale.  I loved The Avengers as a little girl, but the first Avengers I saw (like everyone else in the USA) was the version with Diana Rigg.  I never even saw any of the Cathy Gale episodes until they started putting them out on home video in the 90's.

A couple of years ago COZITV ran the entire series all the way through and Mr Rat and I found it pretty fascinating, the way the show changed.  In Honor Blackman's era it was very very stylish, but not as campy as in Diana Riggs' era - more straightforwardly a suspense espionage show with less of the sci-fi elements.  Also, one of the cool things about Cathy Gale as a character is that she is presented on the show as being in her late thirties (as Blackman herself was at the time) and still a major babe  who is openly sleeping with Steed, when she feels like it.   And she's the one who wore black leather head to toe, not Riggs, who ditched that early on.  I wish I'd been able to see her when I was, in the words of Miss Jean Brodie, a girl of an impressionable age.

Edited to add: I hope that COZI or one of the other retro stations decided to start running The Avengers again now.

I have COZI on a TV app on my iPhone. They’re not running The Avengers right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, dalek said:

Canadian author Jean Little has died.

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/9935771-beloved-author-jean-little-passes-away-at-88/?s=e&fbclid=iwar1uqm2suhzjlwh9emgpgtxlmmjsre_sfetufwwot_ahiudpe7ftjnx_yzg

She was probably best known for her children's books From Anna and Mine for Keeps.

From Anna had such an impact on me as a child. It's one of a handful of children's books I re-read every year.  It's the story of a little girl who struggled until her family moves from Germany to Canada (in the years before WWII), and she gets her eyes tested for the first time and it's learned that she can barely see.  The wonder Anna experiences when she puts on a pair of glasses for the first time rang so true for me, as I remember 6 year old Calvada getting that first pair of glasses and realizing that I could see the edge of the curb instead of guessing where it was, that I could distinguish individual leaves on a tree, that when my teacher faced the blackboard with a piece of chalk in her hand she was writing something on the board, and a million other discoveries possible through the miracle of a pair of eyeglasses.  What a wonderful book it is by an author who had serious sight issues herself.  

Edited by Calvada
  • Like 13
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Kenny Rogers, Jan Howard, Joe Diffie, and now John Prine (the last two from COVID-19). I know there were two other music deaths this past week (Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne--also from COVID-19--and Bill Withers), but country music has been experiencing one loss after another these last few weeks. I'm ashamed to admit I'm not NEARLY as familiar with John Prine as I should be--I first knew him as the inspiration for Kacey Musgraves' "Burn One with John Prine", then later for Miranda Lambert's cover of his song "That's The Way the World Goes 'Round" on her third album Revolution (and of course, for writing Bonnie Raitt's "Angel from Montgomery"), but I KNOW how many musicians he's inspired, both in and out of country music, and among the indie county/Americana scene in particular. He received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Grammys less than THREE MONTHS AGO. He was right there in the audience! I really thought he'd beat this--his wife Fiona did. This sucks SO much.

RIP, John. 😢 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

John Prine's death hits me hard.  I've seen him live at least three times -- I made sure to get tickets any time he played nearby.  He was just here last November, and spent the entire show on stage, playing acoustically while his band took a break.  He even still had some dance moves!  An amazing talent.  I'm just gutted.

  • Sad 13

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Calvada said:

From Anna had such an impact on me as a child. It's one of a handful of children's books I re-read every year.  It's the story of a little girl who struggled until her family moves from Germany to Canada (in the years before WWII), and she gets her eyes tested for the first time and it's learned that she can barely see.  The wonder Anna experiences when she puts on a pair of glasses for the first time rang so true for me, as I remember 6 year old Calvada getting that first pair of glasses and realizing that I could see the edge of the curb instead of guessing where it was, that I could distinguish individual leaves on a tree, that when my teacher faced the blackboard with a piece of chalk in her hand she was writing something on the board, and a million other discoveries possible through the miracle of a pair of eyeglasses.  What a wonderful book it is by an author who had serious sight issues herself.  

Thank you for the summary of the book. I did not recognize the author's name and assumed I also didn't know the books, but your summary reminded me that I read that book long ago. I had forgotten all about it. I liked it a lot, and now I want to read it again.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

John Prine's widow, Fiona, shared this on Facebook.

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, UYI said:

John Prine's widow, Fiona, shared this on Facebook.

 

A very moving post by Mrs. Prine. However, I greatly admire that, despite her shock and grief of what's happened, she used that format to give kudos to those who worked valiantly to try to save Mr. Prine AND urged everyone to take the affliction seriously- rather than either blame health care workers for her husband not surviving and/or downplaying how serious the affliction is! 

 

I hope she can also take comfort in the fact that in his last month he was honored for his achievements and got to see new generations give him credit where its due (not unlike what happened to Roy Orbison) rather than having been in obscurity.

RIP, Mr. Prine and thank you, Mrs. Prine!

  • Like 8
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post

H!ITG actor Allen Garfield died from Covid complications. He was in The Conversation, NashvilleBeverly Hills Cop II and a ton of others. He always played the nervous, weaselly types. R.I.P.

 

  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I head an obituary on my NPR station that cited the movies he had been in (The Conversation, The Candidate, The Front Page. . ) but I couldn't recall his face. Then they played an audio clip from this scene and remembered exactly who he was.

 

Yes, he is another in a long list of actors with a long, storied career who managed to avoid the burden of anyone really knowing their name.  In it for the craft, not the fame.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Producer Thomas L. Miller died Sunday of complications from heart disease; he was 79. 

Miller's start in the industry was working as the dialogue coach for Billy Wilder, with whom he remained friends until Wilder's death.   He wound up working in development for the studios, before founding his own production company.  As a producer, he co-created numerous TV shows, including Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Bosom Buddies, Perfect Strangers, and Full House, and films, such as Foul Play and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, and Broadway plays (he produced last year's Tony Award nominee for Best Play Tootsie).

  • Sad 10

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I was just coming here to post about him. I grew up with Mad magazine and always enjoyed his movie and TV parodies. It was a cute inside joke that when Mad spoofed the Harry Potter series, Voldemort was "Druckermort."

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

From USA TodayPhiladelphia Eagles Legend Pete Retzlaff Dies at 88

He was a Captain & integral part of the Eagles’ 1960 NFL championship team. He died Friday of natural causes. He was 88. He played for the Eagles from 1956-1966 & was only 1 of 9 Eagles players to have their number retired. The football records he holds are numerous & can be found in the linked article.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

Tim Brooke-Taylor, English comedian best known for the Goodies. Age 79, from the coronavirus. I watched the Goodies when I was young. While it didn't really age well, he was still a part of my childhood.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, Anduin said:

Tim Brooke-Taylor, English comedian best known for the Goodies. Age 79, from the coronavirus. I watched the Goodies when I was young. While it didn't really age well, he was still a part of my childhood.

Also quite well known for the long running radio show "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", famous for being the home of officially sanctioned games of "Mornington Crescent".

Which led to this brilliant line I saw on Fark:

Quote

Services for Mr. Brook-Taylor will be held at Clapham North, unless a lateral was played in Edgware Road in the previous turn, thus all attendees will be Trappist until Bond Street has been double-cleared.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Former Vikings, Seahawks QB Tarvaris Jackson Dies in Car Crash

He was 36. His 10-year NFL career began in Minnesota. The 6-foot-2 quarterback helped the Vikings win the NFC North title in 2008 before his sole postseason appearance, a wild-card loss to Philadelphia. Jackson ended his time in Minnesota as Brett Favre’s backup for the 2009-10 seasons. Jackson signed with Seattle as a free agent in 2011. He compiled a 7-7 record as a starter before being traded to Buffalo ahead of the 2012 season; he didn’t register a snap there. In 2013, he returned to Seattle, where he was Russell Wilson’s backup in the Seahawks’ Super  Bowl XLVIII victory over the Denver Broncos.

and...

Also from ESPN: Oilers’ Colby Cave, 25, Dies After Suffering a Brain Bleed

Besides the Edmonton Oilers in the NHL, he also played for the NHL’s Boston Bruins

  • Like 1
  • Sad 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/11/2020 at 10:45 AM, badhaggis said:

Actress and producer Hilary Heath dies of complications of COVID-19.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/hilary-heath-dies-horror-film-actress-producer-and-agency-founder-had-covid-19-complications-was-74/ar-BB12sszC?li=BBnbfcL

She had started opposite Vincent Price in three films and was in a 1970 version of Wuthering Heights with Timothy Dalton.

She was in The Witchfinder General, which is really a great movie, and probably the best performance Vincent Price ever gave in his late drive-in horror period.  The best in the sense that he played a genuinely frightening, repellant character without any winks.   Hilary Heath (HIlary Dwyer at that time) is also great in a very demanding role.  Hail and farewell.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Jazz saxophonist Lee Konitz has died at age 92 from COVID-19.  Quote from NPR link:

Quote

Lee Konitz was part of one of the most celebrate recordings in jazz history. In 1949 and 1950, he played with the Miles Davis Nonet a trio of sessions that would that would become Davis' 1957 album Birth of the Cool. Konitz was the last surviving musician who played in those sessions.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/15/835634362/lee-konitz-prolific-and-influential-jazz-saxophonist-has-died-at-92

https://www.wbgo.org/post/lee-konitz-alto-saxophonist-who-exemplified-jazzs-imperative-make-it-new-dead-92

 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
OtterMommy

This thread is not meant to be a collection of obituaries, but rather a place for us to pay respect (or not) to the recently departed celebrities*.  If you're leaving a link to an obituary, please also provide some sort of personal context about the deceased.  (* For this thread, a celebrity is an entertainment or widely recognized figure.)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size