Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, magicdog said:

Corona is blamed but considering her advanced age, it seems secondary.

Edited 3 hours ago by magicdog

That parsing seems odd. It effects elderly and people with underlying conditions harder doesn’t mean it isn’t the cause of their death. There are many, many 88 year olds who make it to 89.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 12

I’m getting notifications on my iPhone saying singer Bill Withers (“Ain’t No Sunshine”, “Lean on Me”) has died. Apparently it was cardiac-related. I think the notifications gave his age as 81. I’ll post an obit as soon as I can find it, if nobody beats me to it.

Bill Withers dead: Lean On Me, Lovely Day and Ain't No Sunshine singer passes away at 81 from heart complications

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8184937/Lean-On-Me-Lovely-Day-singer-Bill-Withers-dies-81.html?ito=social-facebook&fbclid=IwAR1aLxXwQdx9cA321VXz4aiqqKOzaoqQMahDCIyH6FFoD1etxl35SknbcdU

• Love 1

Here‘s the obit for 3-time Grammy winner Bill Withers. He retired from the music industry in the 1980’s; his last hit was “Just the Two of Us”, which he recorded with saxophonist Grover Washington, Jr. I believe the artist credit read “Grover Washington, Jr Featuring Bill Withers“—it was 1 of those songs where an instrumentalist & vocalist collaborate on a song that usually is (at least initially) recorded for the instrumentalist’s CD (another example would be “Valentine” by pianist Jim Brickman featuring Martina McBride on vocals); in this case, it was released on Withers’ label. It was also 1 of those songs you pretty much couldn’t get away from hearing on the radio during my last year in high school (early 1980’s).

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I love Bill Wither’s music.  😥

But am I terrible in that the first thing I thought of was, “it’s good to read of a death not from COVID19”?

I agree! It's almost like that tombstone in Tombstone, Arizona that read 'Died of Natural Causes' which was virtually unique in that time and place! 

In any case, RIP, Mr. Withers and may your talents help enhance the music of Heaven!

• Love 9

I always liked this quote attributed to him, about his previous career(installing toilet seats in 747s):

”I won’t sing for a month, and you don’t go to the bathroom for a month, and we’ll see who’s worse off.”

RIP, Mr. Withers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

This news about Bill Withers makes me so sad.  "Lean on Me" is my favorite song.  In this terrible time of illness, death and isolation, i have watched almost daily a flash mob singing it at London Bridge Station.  Throughout my life, this song has helped me during difficult times, making me realize I am blessed to have family and friends to lean on, and how I should be that person for others to lean on when they need it.  "Lean on me; when you're not strong, and I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on; For it won't be long 'til I'm gonna need somebody to lean on" should be an anthem for our lives.  I wish I could tell him how much that song  means to me.  May he rest in peace.  

• Love 19

I live in a state that has been in stay at home mode for two weeks. I've left my property only a handful of times since then. It's getting kind of grim.

After hearing about Bill Wither's death, I played a couple of his songs. In part, to remember him, but also one of his main themes is "Together we can make it, no matter how hard things get." 

I feel a lot better now.

• Love 21
26 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I live in a state that has been in stay at home mode for two weeks. I've left my property only a handful of times since then. It's getting kind of grim.

After hearing about Bill Wither's death, I played a couple of his songs. In part, to remember him, but also one of his main themes is "Together we can make it, no matter how hard things get." 

I feel a lot better now.

I loved all of his songs, and I used to sing this one a lot.  One time I tried to sing that last note for as long as he did.   I almost passed out.

R.I.P., Mr. Withers

• Love 11

I saw this on the news this morning but when I tried to look it up all I could find were articles saying it was a hoax. I guess not. 😢

I listen to Bill Withers pretty much everyday. RIP sir.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

I love Bill Wither’s music.  😥

But am I terrible in that the first thing I thought of was, “it’s good to read of a death not from COVID19”?

Nope. I was thinking the same thing.

Very sad news. Just keep on losing the greats, don't we? May he rest in peace. 

• Love 7
On 3/29/2020 at 6:07 PM, UYI said:

Between Kenny Rogers the other week ago, Jan Howard last night, and now Joe Diffie, the country music community has had it ROUGH these last few weeks. So many losses! 

He wasn't in country music, but if we're talking music in general, add Bill Withers. So sad. 😥

• Love 4

Tom Dempsey, a longtime NFL kicker who set a league record for longest kick that wasn't eclipsed until 2013, has died after a battle with the coronavirus, his family told The New Orleans Times-Picayune/Advocate. He was 73. 

The Times-Picayune/Advocate reported at least 15 residents of the Lambeth House center, including Tom Dempsey, have died after battles with COVID-19.

Dempsey was born without toes on his right foot — which he kicked with — and was missing part of his right hand. But he carved out an 11-season career, starting with the Saints in 1969 and moving to the Eagles, Rams, Oilers and Bills. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/04/04/tom-dempsey-dies-73-coronavirus-battle/2950040001/

I had never heard of him but he sounds like a prime example of the underdog finding success in America so I wanted to highlight him in this thread.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Bunty said:

I had never heard of him but he sounds like a prime example of the underdog finding success in America so I wanted to highlight him in this thread.

Thanks for posting. I knew of him (very well), because I live in the Philly area, and he was kicking for the Eagles at the time I was starting to get into football. I vividly remember his special kicking shoe. Sad to hear of his passing.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, rubaco said:

Thanks for posting. I knew of him (very well), because I live in the Philly area, and he was kicking for the Eagles at the time I was starting to get into football. I vividly remember his special kicking shoe. Sad to hear of his passing.

I remember him, too.  He was one hell of a kicker.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

COVID19 has also claimed the life of actor Forrest Compton, best known for his nearly 14-year run on The Edge of Night. His castmate Sharon Gabet confirmed the news on her FB page.

https://shelterislandreporter.timesreview.com/2020/04/04/town-announces-the-first-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Because I watched that soap as a young girl, I had to look him up, and I remember him still!  Sad.

dowforrestnload.jpg

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I remember her as the mom on the beach finding out that her son had been killed by the shark.  I remember that withering look and slap she gave Roy Scheider (who, sadly, passed away in 2008).   

For being the fall guy for a Mayor who refuses to take a threat to the town seriously .....

RIP Ms. Fierro.

My mom always hated the scene of the beach where Mrs. Kitner is standing there looking for her kid who isn't ever going to come running out of the water.    

4 hours ago, Llywela said:

The Avengers and James Bond star Honor Blackman dies aged 94

Because I watched it over and over as a kid, I associate her with The Cat and The Canary.  Dying peacefully at home with her family after 94 years of life is pretty much the ideal way to go.  It's unfortunate that if her family wants to have any sort of memorial gathering with others, that will have to wait, but all in all I hope they're comforted by the fact she enjoyed (and she did indeed seem to enjoy it) a long life.

I like this (from the linked obituary):

Blackman married twice: to Bill Sankey from 1948-56, and to British actor Maurice Kaufmann from 1961–75, with whom she adopted two children. She never remarried, saying she preferred to stay single.

“People can’t understand it,” she said. “Basically I’m a shy person and I like my own company. I couldn’t bear to be with someone now. I do exactly what I want to do, when I want to do it. I’ve always been like that… you’re only hindered by husbands!”

• Love 19
17 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Aww... James Drury, aka The Virginian dead at 85 of natural causes.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/james-drury-dead-the-virginian-star-was-85-1202901615/ 

My husband is currently doing his semi-annual Virginian rewatch so this is sad on a personal level.  

He was the nationally-known celebrity on the first March of Dimes Telethon (Back then, they were “Teleramas”) I did as National Poster Child. It was in Lexington, KY in 1971. I was actually the 1972 Poster Child, but they had me “get my feet wet” by doing some Telethons in 1971.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, catlover79 said:

COVID19 has also claimed the life of actor Forrest Compton, best known for his nearly 14-year run on The Edge of Night. His castmate Sharon Gabet confirmed the news on her FB page.

https://shelterislandreporter.timesreview.com/2020/04/04/town-announces-the-first-deaths-from-coronavirus/

Sharon Gabet is from my hometown. I think we went to the same local college—but not at the same time.

• Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, ABay said:

She was Mrs. Peel before Mrs. Peel.

That is, she was Steed's partner before Diana Rigg.

Yes, she was Mrs. Cathy Gale.  I loved The Avengers as a little girl, but the first Avengers I saw (like everyone else in the USA) was the version with Diana Rigg.  I never even saw any of the Cathy Gale episodes until they started putting them out on home video in the 90's.

A couple of years ago COZITV ran the entire series all the way through and Mr Rat and I found it pretty fascinating, the way the show changed.  In Honor Blackman's era it was very very stylish, but not as campy as in Diana Riggs' era - more straightforwardly a suspense espionage show with less of the sci-fi elements.  Also, one of the cool things about Cathy Gale as a character is that she is presented on the show as being in her late thirties (as Blackman herself was at the time) and still a major babe  who is openly sleeping with Steed, when she feels like it.   And she's the one who wore black leather head to toe, not Riggs, who ditched that early on.  I wish I'd been able to see her when I was, in the words of Miss Jean Brodie, a girl of an impressionable age.

Edited to add: I hope that COZI or one of the other retro stations decided to start running The Avengers again now.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Yes, she was Mrs. Cathy Gale.  I loved The Avengers as a little girl, but the first Avengers I saw (like everyone else in the USA) was the version with Diana Rigg.  I never even saw any of the Cathy Gale episodes until they started putting them out on home video in the 90's.

A couple of years ago COZITV ran the entire series all the way through and Mr Rat and I found it pretty fascinating, the way the show changed.  In Honor Blackman's era it was very very stylish, but not as campy as in Diana Riggs' era - more straightforwardly a suspense espionage show with less of the sci-fi elements.  Also, one of the cool things about Cathy Gale as a character is that she is presented on the show as being in her late thirties (as Blackman herself was at the time) and still a major babe  who is openly sleeping with Steed, when she feels like it.   And she's the one who wore black leather head to toe, not Riggs, who ditched that early on.  I wish I'd been able to see her when I was, in the words of Miss Jean Brodie, a girl of an impressionable age.

Edited to add: I hope that COZI or one of the other retro stations decided to start running The Avengers again now.

I have COZI on a TV app on my iPhone. They’re not running The Avengers right now.

• Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, dalek said:

Canadian author Jean Little has died.

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/9935771-beloved-author-jean-little-passes-away-at-88/?s=e&fbclid=iwar1uqm2suhzjlwh9emgpgtxlmmjsre_sfetufwwot_ahiudpe7ftjnx_yzg

She was probably best known for her children's books From Anna and Mine for Keeps.

From Anna had such an impact on me as a child. It's one of a handful of children's books I re-read every year.  It's the story of a little girl who struggled until her family moves from Germany to Canada (in the years before WWII), and she gets her eyes tested for the first time and it's learned that she can barely see.  The wonder Anna experiences when she puts on a pair of glasses for the first time rang so true for me, as I remember 6 year old Calvada getting that first pair of glasses and realizing that I could see the edge of the curb instead of guessing where it was, that I could distinguish individual leaves on a tree, that when my teacher faced the blackboard with a piece of chalk in her hand she was writing something on the board, and a million other discoveries possible through the miracle of a pair of eyeglasses.  What a wonderful book it is by an author who had serious sight issues herself.  

Edited by Calvada
  • Love 13

Kenny Rogers, Jan Howard, Joe Diffie, and now John Prine (the last two from COVID-19). I know there were two other music deaths this past week (Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne--also from COVID-19--and Bill Withers), but country music has been experiencing one loss after another these last few weeks. I'm ashamed to admit I'm not NEARLY as familiar with John Prine as I should be--I first knew him as the inspiration for Kacey Musgraves' "Burn One with John Prine", then later for Miranda Lambert's cover of his song "That's The Way the World Goes 'Round" on her third album Revolution (and of course, for writing Bonnie Raitt's "Angel from Montgomery"), but I KNOW how many musicians he's inspired, both in and out of country music, and among the indie county/Americana scene in particular. He received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Grammys less than THREE MONTHS AGO. He was right there in the audience! I really thought he'd beat this--his wife Fiona did. This sucks SO much.

RIP, John. 😢 

• Love 8