Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Kromm

In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths

My dad used to play that song around the house sometimes when I was younger. 

• Like 4

I was never a fan per se of Rogers but I will say the older I get, I appreciate real talent the heft behind the vocals and guitars of those famous songs....

One song, however, grabbed me the moment I heard it....and I requested it on Country Radio for months when it came out...and when I woke up at 5am today, I read the news and started singing every lyric to it...Love Will Turn You Around:

• Like 5

1 minute ago, stonehaven said:

I was never a fan per se of Rogers but I will say the older I get, I appreciate real talent the heft behind the vocals and guitars of those famous songs....

One song, however, grabbed me the moment I heard it....and I requested it on Country Radio for months when it came out...and when I woke up at 5am today, I read the news and started singing every lyric to it...Love Will Turn You Around:

This was a hit for him at Pop & Adult Contemporary radio too; I know they played it there, seemingly a lot, back in the day. It was originally from the soundtrack of a movie he starred in, called “Six Pack”. It was him, kids & auto racing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, punkypower said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one. It gained fame in 1967,  before Kenny went solo. It enjoyed a huge resurgence in popularity when it was used in The Big Lebowski. RIP, Mr. Rogers. Thanks for everything!!

I was reminded this morning that Mr. ebk became a stagehand because of Kenny Rogers and the First Edition.  They were playing a concert on his campus.  His dorm was near the arena and when the trucks got there, some guys from the dorm were co-opted to help unload and set up the show.  Then they found out the band was somewhere else.  So they took the show down and loaded up the trucks. Mr. ebk was hooked and the rest is history.

The band came back the following year to do a make-up show, so that was nice. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 2

On 3/20/2020 at 12:41 PM, praeceptrix said:

An employee of MSNBC news, Larry Edgeworth, has died from covid-19. He was not an in front of the camera celebrity, but someone who made it possible for news broadcasts to happen.

https://thehill.com/media/488617-nbc-news-employees-dies-following-coronavirus-infection?amp=1&amp_recirculation=1

From the article:

MSNBC's Stephanie Ruhle told viewers Friday morning about Edgeworth's death and spoke while photos of the technician were displayed: "Larry, he's the big guy you see right there on the left during a shoot in Namibia back in 2011. He spent most of his 25 years at NBC News as a skilled audio technician, traveling the world to bring you, our beloved viewers the news. Many of us here were fortunate to work with him." 

MSNBC correspondent Garrett Haake shared a photo of Edgeworth on Friday, tweeting "The man on the left is Larry Edgeworth. I met him as the sound tech on our team that covered the Romney campaign in 2012. He called me 'slim,' and helped me put together my first resume tape. He was SO proud of his kids. He was hilarious. Yesterday he lost his fight with COVID-19."

It's worth reading the other tributes in the article.

How is this a celebrity?

• Useful 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

How is this a celebrity?

If you watched 2 or more shows on any NBC network yesterday, you felt like Larry was a celebrity.  He was an important part of getting the celebs on the air.  And from everything said about him, he was an all-around fabulous guy.  I, for one, am always grateful to see the backstage folks get some on-air love. My only nitpick would be that by the end of the day, I wanted more pictures of Larry than the 4 or 5 they kept showing. 

Thanks for everything Larry, and RIP. 

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

If you watched 2 or more shows on any NBC network yesterday, you felt like Larry was a celebrity.  He was an important part of getting the celebs on the air.  And from everything said about him, he was an all-around fabulous guy.  I, for one, am always grateful to see the backstage folks get some on-air love. My only nitpick would be that by the end of the day, I wanted more pictures of Larry than the 4 or 5 they kept showing. 

Thanks for everything Larry, and RIP. 

I’m so sorry, didn’t really mean to a actually post that and you are so right that it is wonderful  when those in front of the camera thank all those who make it possible.

• Like 3

The former president of Real Madrid, Lorenzo Sanz, has died from the coronavirus.He was 76.

I've not paid attention to fútbol since I lived in Barcelona in the last century (and, of course rooted for Barça and against Real Madrid), but the fact that yet another family has lost a loved one to the pandemic is still sad.

https://www.elperiodico.com/es/deportes/20200321/fallece-coronavirus-expresidente-madrid-lorenzo-sanz-7899767

Edited by praeceptrix · Reason: to fix a typo (medicinal scotch disrupts the ability to type on a tiny phone screen...)
  • Sad 7

Rachel Maddow ended her show on Friday with a tribute to Larry Edgeworth and broke down crying and couldn't do the usual handoff to The Last Word. The camera went to Ali Velshi subbing for Lawrence O'Donnell and he just sat there stunned for about 30 seconds before he started the show.

• Like 5
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 7

8 hours ago, punkypower said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one. It gained fame in 1967,  before Kenny went solo. It enjoyed a huge resurgence in popularity when it was used in The Big Lebowski. RIP, Mr. Rogers. Thanks for everything!!

I also thought first of that one and Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town (a Vietnam war era classic):

• Like 8

Take a listen to this if you would like to hear an analysis of what makes a vocalist great and a performance work, as well as a look at music history.

Kenny and Dolly singing Islands in the Stream Live

Edited by Bunty · Reason: different word choice
  • Like 6

Covid-19 claims another legend: saxophonist Manu Dibango, 86, of Cameroon. If you listened to Afrobeat,  Herbie Hancock, or other jazz music in the last century, you heard his saxophone.

Michael Jackson settled out of court when Dibango sued him for using part Soul Makossa in a couple of tracks on Thriller.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52017834

• Sad 13

1 hour ago, praeceptrix said:

Covid-19 claims another legend: saxophonist Manu Dibango, 86, of Cameroon. If you listened to Afrobeat,  Herbie Hancock, or other jazz music in the last century, you heard his saxophone.

Michael Jackson settled out of court when Dibango sued him for using part Soul Makossa in a couple of tracks on Thriller.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52017834

I just listened to Soul Makossa on You Tube.

R.I.P., Mr Dibango

• Sad 4

Aww, what 70's kid didn't love the Harlem Globetrotters. RIP Curly.

• Like 16

Aw, Curly was my favorite (with Meadowlark a very close second).

• Like 13

Nashom Wooden, a celebrity in the NYC Drag scene who appeared in Flawless with Robert de Niro and Philip Seymour Hoffman, was found dead in his apartment on Monday. He was 50 and in good shape in spite of living with HIV. It's assumed that covid-19 was what killed him, but he wasn't tested so we don't know.

I didn't know him, but I'm sure that many of my friends who are part of the drag scene did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/style/nashom-wooden-mona-foot-death-coronavirus.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

On 3/23/2020 at 10:57 AM, Bunty said:

Take a listen to this if you would like to hear an analysis of what makes a vocalist great and a performance work, as well as a look at music history.

Kenny and Dolly singing Islands in the Stream Live

Great song and duet! One of the best songs ever. RIP  Kenny.

• Like 4

His daughter Kaya is only around 18 years old; he of course had her with his ex-wife, his AMC co-star and future CSI: Miami star Eva La Rue (who is still close friends with two of her AMC co-stars, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Kelly Ripa; SMG is Kaya's godmother). Edmund and Maria were one of THE big supercouples on AMC during the 90's. RIP. 😢 

• Like 4

I'm sorry to hear about John Callahan. I watched All My Children as a kid. I remember him going back to Falcon Crest.  What a shame. May he Rest in Peace. 

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Like 7

OMG, my grandma watched AMC when I was a kid and I thought Edmund and Maria were the best looking couple ever. I had no idea the actors were ever together in real life. RIP, sir.

• Like 5

So sad to hear about John! I remember Edmund and Maria, I always liked them together. 

That's a lovely post from Sarah Michelle Gellar. Very sweet that he attended her graduation. 

• Like 9

Country artist Jan Howard has died at the age of 91. Her first husband was the prolific country songwriter Harlan Howard, who famously said that country music was made up of "three chords and the truth." She became a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 1971.

https://musicrow.com/2020/03/breaking-grand-ole-opry-member-jan-howard-dies-at-91/

From the article:

Along with Jean Shepard, Connie Smith and Jeannie Seely, Jan Howard was dubbed one of “The Grand Ladies of the Grand Ole Opry” during her later years.

Jean passed in 2016; Connie and Jeannie are still alive; I saw them perform at the Opry two years ago (but not Jan, sadly).

Edited by UYI
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

It wasn't my favorite soap

It was in the top 3 of the 90s (after General Hospital and Bold and The Beautiful) for me.

Yeah, he was great as Edmond, and I loved him with Maria. I also enjoyed the relationship between him and Dimitri on the show too. Hated what they did to his character at the end of his run on the show. But I guess that's a discussion for another thread...

May he Rest in Peace.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, Brookside said:

Floyd Cardoz was the chef widely credited with popularizing Indian food in New York.  He is known for his restaurant Tabla.  He also appeared on Top Chef Masters.

He was the winner of season 3 of Top Chef Masters.

• Like 3

Composer and conductor Krzysztof Penderecki has died. He was 86. I've never sung any of his pieces (way too modern for my taste!), but his work was very influential and often used in movie scores.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/arts/music/krzysztof-penderecki-dead.html?action=click&module=moreIn&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&action=click&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=Europe

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

OMG, my grandma watched AMC when I was a kid and I thought Edmund and Maria were the best looking couple ever. I had no idea the actors were ever together in real life. RIP, sir.

They were actually married to other people when they first met on AMC--John joined the show in 1992, and Eva joined a year later (she was married at the time to John O'Hurley, J. Peterman on Seinfeld and the host of Family Feud right before Steve Harvey). They were married in 1996, had Kaya in 2002 and divorced in 2005, around the time they both left AMC, in her case for the second time, as she had returned in 2002 after her original 1993-1997 stint (and amid rumors that John had cheated on her with Amelia Heinle, who at the time played Mia on the show and is now Victoria on The Young and the Restless).

Still, it's clear that they were both committed parents to their daughter, and Eva posted a bunch of pictures on Twitter yesterday, ending with this one: 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2

Oh, no not Edmond. I always liked him on AMC well until the end. He and Maria were great together. RIP John Callahan.

• Like 3

He and Maria were great together.

The affection they had for reach other in real life really shone through when they were onscreen.

Also, on a superficial level, what a great looking couple.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 4

I’m on my phone right now so I’ll add more later on (I was taking a safe, social distance appropriate walk, don’t worry!)  but damn. I had heard he (Joe Diffie, I realized I hadn’t mentioned that before) had tested positive for COVID-19 the other day, but you want to think someone at his age will recover...I’m devastated. One of my very favorites. 💔😢

Edited by UYI
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I absolutely love his song "Bigger Than the Beatles".

Oh, god, I remember that song. I also remember "Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox"-I used to see that one on CMT back in the day.

So sad. 61 is way too young. May he rest in peace. 

• Like 5

Okay, off my phone so I'll add more about Joe Diffie now:

"Third Rock from the Sun" has one of my favorite lines of any song ever: "Truck hit the Big Boy in the Shoney's parking lot." I don't know why, but that line just SLAYS me every time. 

He was definitely someone who was a firm country star; he was never someone who would ever transcend the genre the way so many countless others have (both those who enjoyed crossover success and those who didn't but became famous beyond country regardless), but even as someone who has only truly become a fan of country music in these last few years and started really diving into its history in a relatively short amount of time, he was truly one of THE biggest 90's country stars around, and that was the most commercially successful decade in the genre's history, so that's saying a LOT. "Third Rock from the Sun", "John Deere Green"...there's just so many hits he had during that time period. And for those who don't know, he was the one who wrote and originally recorded "My Give a Damn's Busted", a number one country hit for Jo Dee Messina in 2005:

And I'd be remiss to not mention his 1995 Christmas hit, "Leroy the Redneck Reindeer." I don't care what anyone says, that song RULES.

Between Kenny Rogers the other week ago, Jan Howard last night, and now Joe Diffie, the country music community has had it ROUGH these last few weeks. So many losses! 

RIP, Joe! Your friends and fans like me will help keep your "Honky Tonk Atittude" alive FOREVER! ❤️ 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 8

In the Treadmill talks with Bill Engvall, he has asked his friends to pray for Joe Diffie...as he was battling the virus. As recently as yesterday, Bill said that Joe was getting remarkably better..So, his death is a shock...and Bill posted this to his FB account an hour ago:

-----"Friends I am so sad to tell you my Joe Diffie has passed away. My heart is breaking, we toured together and became life long friend. I am at a loss. Please say a prayer for his family. Hopefully he is painting a water tower in heaven John Deere Green. RIP BUDDY"--Bill Engvall

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

Came here after I saw a retweet of Travis Tritt breaking the news about Joe.

I hadn't even known he was ill! but last week, in the middle of the night, for absolutely no reason, I suddenly remembered "Prop Me Up...", and wandered over to YT where I found the video & replayed it a good ten times.

Hadn't even thought about that song in years.

*chills*  Like an angel tapping on my shoulder: "Hey, isn't this guy great?!?"  Grateful to have found him again before he left us.

RIP, Joe.  And my heart goes out to his family and friends.

• Like 6

I just found this out for the first time, but Joe Diffie also wrote another song that became a hit for someone else: "There Goes My Heart Again", a #4 country hit for Holly Dunn in 1989, who was otherwise best known for her song "Daddy's Hands" (and she sadly passed away at too young an age herself in 2016, after a battle with ovarian cancer). I've always adored this song, but until today I had NO idea that Joe wrote it! And this was before his career had even taken off, too!

• Like 2

Arrows band member Alan Merrill, who co-wrote and recorded the original  version of "I Love Rock n'Roll", has died from COVID-19 at the age of 69. His daughter says that he thought he had the cold and was trying to "play it down." 😢

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/alan-merrill-dead/

He actually wrote "I Love Rock n'Roll" as a response song to the Rolling Stones' "It's Only Rock n' Roll (But I Like It)". He didn't like the idea that it was "only" rock n' roll. ❤️ 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10

OtterMommy

This thread is not meant to be a collection of obituaries, but rather a place for us to pay respect (or not) to the recently departed celebrities*.  If you're leaving a link to an obituary, please also provide some sort of personal context about the deceased.  (* For this thread, a celebrity is an entertainment or widely recognized figure.)