Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

His daughter Kaya is only around 18 years old; he of course had her with his ex-wife, his AMC co-star and future CSI: Miami star Eva La Rue (who is still close friends with two of her AMC co-stars, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Kelly Ripa; SMG is Kaya's godmother). Edmund and Maria were one of THE big supercouples on AMC during the 90's. RIP. 😢 

• Love 4

So sad to hear about John! I remember Edmund and Maria, I always liked them together. 

That's a lovely post from Sarah Michelle Gellar. Very sweet that he attended her graduation. 

• Love 9

Country artist Jan Howard has died at the age of 91. Her first husband was the prolific country songwriter Harlan Howard, who famously said that country music was made up of "three chords and the truth." She became a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 1971.

https://musicrow.com/2020/03/breaking-grand-ole-opry-member-jan-howard-dies-at-91/

From the article:

Along with Jean Shepard, Connie Smith and Jeannie Seely, Jan Howard was dubbed one of “The Grand Ladies of the Grand Ole Opry” during her later years.

Jean passed in 2016; Connie and Jeannie are still alive; I saw them perform at the Opry two years ago (but not Jan, sadly).

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

It wasn't my favorite soap

It was in the top 3 of the 90s (after General Hospital and Bold and The Beautiful) for me.

Yeah, he was great as Edmond, and I loved him with Maria. I also enjoyed the relationship between him and Dimitri on the show too. Hated what they did to his character at the end of his run on the show. But I guess that's a discussion for another thread...

May he Rest in Peace.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Brookside said:

Floyd Cardoz was the chef widely credited with popularizing Indian food in New York.  He is known for his restaurant Tabla.  He also appeared on Top Chef Masters.

He was the winner of season 3 of Top Chef Masters.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

OMG, my grandma watched AMC when I was a kid and I thought Edmund and Maria were the best looking couple ever. I had no idea the actors were ever together in real life. RIP, sir.

They were actually married to other people when they first met on AMC--John joined the show in 1992, and Eva joined a year later (she was married at the time to John O'Hurley, J. Peterman on Seinfeld and the host of Family Feud right before Steve Harvey). They were married in 1996, had Kaya in 2002 and divorced in 2005, around the time they both left AMC, in her case for the second time, as she had returned in 2002 after her original 1993-1997 stint (and amid rumors that John had cheated on her with Amelia Heinle, who at the time played Mia on the show and is now Victoria on The Young and the Restless).

Still, it's clear that they were both committed parents to their daughter, and Eva posted a bunch of pictures on Twitter yesterday, ending with this one: 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

He and Maria were great together.

The affection they had for reach other in real life really shone through when they were onscreen.

Also, on a superficial level, what a great looking couple.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 4

I’m on my phone right now so I’ll add more later on (I was taking a safe, social distance appropriate walk, don’t worry!)  but damn. I had heard he (Joe Diffie, I realized I hadn’t mentioned that before) had tested positive for COVID-19 the other day, but you want to think someone at his age will recover...I’m devastated. One of my very favorites. 💔😢

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I absolutely love his song "Bigger Than the Beatles".

Oh, god, I remember that song. I also remember "Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox"-I used to see that one on CMT back in the day.

So sad. 61 is way too young. May he rest in peace. 

• Love 5

Okay, off my phone so I'll add more about Joe Diffie now:

"Third Rock from the Sun" has one of my favorite lines of any song ever: "Truck hit the Big Boy in the Shoney's parking lot." I don't know why, but that line just SLAYS me every time. 

He was definitely someone who was a firm country star; he was never someone who would ever transcend the genre the way so many countless others have (both those who enjoyed crossover success and those who didn't but became famous beyond country regardless), but even as someone who has only truly become a fan of country music in these last few years and started really diving into its history in a relatively short amount of time, he was truly one of THE biggest 90's country stars around, and that was the most commercially successful decade in the genre's history, so that's saying a LOT. "Third Rock from the Sun", "John Deere Green"...there's just so many hits he had during that time period. And for those who don't know, he was the one who wrote and originally recorded "My Give a Damn's Busted", a number one country hit for Jo Dee Messina in 2005:

And I'd be remiss to not mention his 1995 Christmas hit, "Leroy the Redneck Reindeer." I don't care what anyone says, that song RULES.

Between Kenny Rogers the other week ago, Jan Howard last night, and now Joe Diffie, the country music community has had it ROUGH these last few weeks. So many losses! 

RIP, Joe! Your friends and fans like me will help keep your "Honky Tonk Atittude" alive FOREVER! ❤️ 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 8

In the Treadmill talks with Bill Engvall, he has asked his friends to pray for Joe Diffie...as he was battling the virus. As recently as yesterday, Bill said that Joe was getting remarkably better..So, his death is a shock...and Bill posted this to his FB account an hour ago:

-----"Friends I am so sad to tell you my Joe Diffie has passed away. My heart is breaking, we toured together and became life long friend. I am at a loss. Please say a prayer for his family. Hopefully he is painting a water tower in heaven John Deere Green. RIP BUDDY"--Bill Engvall

• Love 2

Came here after I saw a retweet of Travis Tritt breaking the news about Joe.

I hadn't even known he was ill! but last week, in the middle of the night, for absolutely no reason, I suddenly remembered "Prop Me Up...", and wandered over to YT where I found the video & replayed it a good ten times.

Hadn't even thought about that song in years.

*chills*  Like an angel tapping on my shoulder: "Hey, isn't this guy great?!?"  Grateful to have found him again before he left us.

RIP, Joe.  And my heart goes out to his family and friends.

• Love 6

I just found this out for the first time, but Joe Diffie also wrote another song that became a hit for someone else: "There Goes My Heart Again", a #4 country hit for Holly Dunn in 1989, who was otherwise best known for her song "Daddy's Hands" (and she sadly passed away at too young an age herself in 2016, after a battle with ovarian cancer). I've always adored this song, but until today I had NO idea that Joe wrote it! And this was before his career had even taken off, too!

• Love 2

Arrows band member Alan Merrill, who co-wrote and recorded the original  version of "I Love Rock n'Roll", has died from COVID-19 at the age of 69. His daughter says that he thought he had the cold and was trying to "play it down." 😢

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/alan-merrill-dead/

He actually wrote "I Love Rock n'Roll" as a response song to the Rolling Stones' "It's Only Rock n' Roll (But I Like It)". He didn't like the idea that it was "only" rock n' roll. ❤️ 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Just saw the news about him on TV Line earlier. So sad. He was great as Roy. My mom and I were watching an episode of "Wings" recently where Roy taught Antonio how to dance for some event and they got so into it and whatnot, and we were just cracking up the whole time :D. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Just saw the news about him on TV Line earlier. So sad. He was great as Roy. My mom and I were watching an episode of "Wings" recently where Roy taught Antonio how to dance for some event and they got so into it and whatnot, and we were just cracking up the whole time :D. 

The irony is that Roy was pushed SO hard to be the villain strawman but virtually from Day One was FAR more likable than the either the dull-as-dishwater Joe or the snotty and self-important Brian! Even if the scripts tried to push the viewers otherwise ( supposedly because they were young and good looking while he was middle aged and fat), he managed to make Roy someone far more sympathetic than either of the leads.RIP,Mr.Schramm, you and the woman who played the hostess Fran were the only things that made that show worth enduring for  as long as I was able to,IMO. 

• Love 4

Songwriter Alan Merrill has died of coronavirus complications, age 69.  Mr. Merrill wrote and first recorded  I Love Rock and Roll but it's Joan Jett & the Blackheart's version that's more widely known.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alan-merrill-died-i-love-rock-and-roll-co-writer-dead-age-69-cause

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/9345880/alan-merrill-dead-coronavirus-of-death-coronavirus-complications/

3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Children's author/illustrator Tomie dePaola has died (from injuries sustained in a fall). Even if you don't know his name, if you have children, you are probably familiar with some of his books. I have several of them in my Scholastic Book Club paperback collection (My favorite is 'The popcorn book', since that's my favorite snack. 🙂 )

Nooooooo!  I loved Tommie dePaola's books!  May he rest in peace.  

• Love 6

The saddest thing about Tomie dePaola death and everyone's death who dies during these times is found in this quote :

Whiteman said dePaola died alone at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire.

"Due to the coronavirus and a quarantine at the hospital where he was being treated, Mr. dePaola was in isolation when he died," Whiteman added.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/us/author-tomie-depaola-dies-trnd/index.html

3 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Too true, and utterly heartbreaking. My friend just lost his mother and stepfather to covid-19 on the same day. He couldn't be with either of them, nor could they be together.

I'm so sorry to hear that 😞. Condolences to your friend. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Anyone remember Fountains of Wayne, they wrote the Oscar nominated movie song "That Thing You Do" and had that hit "Stacy's Mom.".

Adam Schlesinger has just died at the age of 52 from Covid-19 😢

Just reading his career work he was nominated for multiple Emmys for his work on Sesame Street and Crazy Ex Girlfriend plus Tony nominations for Cry Baby.  He wrote some great songs for theater and TV.

Edited by kittykat
(edited)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/02/comedian-eddie-large-little-and-large-dies-after-contracting-coronavirus-son-says

British comedian Edward McGinnis has died at age 78 due to complications from coronavirus.  He was best known as the "Large" half of the comedy duo Little and Large.  I didn't particularly like their humour, but sad nonetheless, especially because his family couldn't be with him.

Edited by Brookside
died not dies