Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Kromm

In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths

That article just goes to show how far we still have to go in how we understand and thus speak about mental illness - the manner of death was suicide, but the cause was bipolar disorder.

• Like 13
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 1

Barbara C. Harris, the first female bishop in Anglican communion, has died at 89.  

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/14/815892227/barbara-c-harris-first-female-bishop-in-anglican-communion-dies-at-89

From the article:

She was elected as a suffragan, or assistant, bishop in September 1988. On Feb. 11, 1989, Harris was consecrated as a bishop in the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts.

Her rise to bishop broke centuries of precedent for tens of millions of Christians in the Anglican Communion, which has members in more than 165 countries.

May she rest in peace.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Barbara C. Harris, the first female bishop in Anglican communion, has died at 89.  

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/14/815892227/barbara-c-harris-first-female-bishop-in-anglican-communion-dies-at-89

From the article:

May she rest in peace.  

Truly a great woman.

I am neither religious nor a member of her faith, but I clearly remember when she was ordained as Bishop; she was a double first: first woman, first African-American woman. She made history and inspired so many by her example.

May she rest in peace.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Aw geez there has been such bad luck with twin child stars lately. Poor guy.

Although I feel like I should add that I always hated how the writers wrote Sam and David acting like...I don't know what the right word for it is, but those who watched the show know exactly what I'm talking about.

• Like 3

The man who brought us the Members Only jacket has died. If you are old enough, you will remember everyone wore those jackets. Or more likely, a no-name knockoff of the Members Only jacket. I used one for years as my spring windbreaker. I'm pretty sure I have it in my closet still although it's not been worn in a very long time. You weren't fashionable unless you had that on. You could argue it was the defining look of the 80s.

• Like 13

Vittorio Gregotti, an Italian architect who helped design the 1992 Barcelona Summer Olympics stadium, the Belém cultural centre in Portugal, the Arcimboldi opera theatre in Milan, and the Grand Théâtre de Provence in France, has died in Milan aged 92 after catching the coronavirus, Italian media said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/vittorio-gregotti-renowned-italian-architect-dies-of-coronavirus-at-92

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

On 3/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From The Hollywood Reporter (THR)Lorenzo Brino, ‘7th Heaven’ Star, Dies at 21 (Report) He & his twin brother, Nikolas, played the youngest Camden children, twins Sam & David (he was Sam), in the later years of the series. He was killed in a car accident.

Well that's sad to read and way to young. I remember watching that show as a kid. I liked that they managed to have the same kids who played them as babies continue to play them to the point where they had dialog.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, it's me Lyle Waggonner, everybody....Awww...I loved him on Golden Girls. Will have to watch that episode tonight..

• Like 15

4 hours ago, rainsmom said:

Lyle Waggoner passed away. I saw him in reruns of The Carol Burnett Show, but he was the object of my first childhood crush when he played Steve Trevor on Wonder Woman. RIP, Lyle.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/lyle-waggoner-dead-carol-burnett-show-wonder-woman-actor-was-84-1202885749/

I never watched Wonder Woman, but I enjoyed him on The Carol Burnett Show. More often than not. he was the handsome "straight man" to the wacky others, and later got replaced by the zany Tim Conway. I enjoyed Conway, especially as Boss Tudball and the teller of that crazy "Conjoined Elephants" story, but I wish Waggoner could have stayed also.He had his funny moments.  In "Lovely Story," a spoof of "Love Story," Oliver (Harvey Korman) says to Jenny (Carol), "I'll get you the world's best doctor!" Lyle comes in, says, "I'm the world's best doctor!", unpacks an assortment of scary-looking medical instruments, takes one look at Carol, says "Uh-oh!" and gathers them up again.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Like 10
  • Laugh 1

17 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Yes, it's me Lyle Waggonner, everybody....Awww...I loved him on Golden Girls. Will have to watch that episode tonight..

No autographs.
No problem.

Although I loved Wonder Woman as a kid, that GG episode is the first thing I thought of, too.  (Just like any mention of Sonny Bono makes me think, "Sonny Bono, get off my lanai!")

• Like 15

RIP Maggie! She was the best thing about Kathy's show. A life well-lived, for sure.

• Like 10

On 3/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, rainsmom said:

Lyle Waggoner passed away. I saw him in reruns of The Carol Burnett Show, but he was the object of my first childhood crush when he played Steve Trevor on Wonder Woman. RIP, Lyle.

Sad to hear of Lyle Waggoner's passing.  Loved him on both The Carol Burnett Show and Wonder Woman.  Lyle and Sharon Waggoner went on to start Star Waggons which provides top quality trailers for movie sets.  R.I.P. Mr. Waggoner.

Lynda Carter posted this on her IG page:

• Like 19

1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Sad to hear of Lyle Waggoner's passing.  Loved him on both The Carol Burnett Show and Wonder Woman.  Lyle and Sharon Waggoner went on to start Star Waggons which provides top quality trailers for movie sets.  R.I.P. Mr. Waggoner.

Lynda Carter posted this on her IG page:

Mr.Waggoner had a tough role to fill- playing a rugged, dashing military man who constantly wound up over his head and needed to be rescued by Wonder Woman- yet despite that fact STILL maintained his dignity and bearing that one could believe enlisted men would be proud to serve under AND that women would swoon over.  It's great that Miss Carter paid tribute to him AND that he didn't attempt to lord it over her re her lack of previous experience or chomp at the bit that he was a featured player NOT the title star of the show (while Larry Hagman HAD behaved badly in that vein to the patient-to-a-fault Barbara Eden on I Dream of Jeannie). 

Also, although he never was as zany as Harvey Korman or Tim Conway, he made the most of his abilities as a good straight man, foil on the Carol Burnett Show.

Great that, rather than complain about not being a contender, he wisely decided to make a living AWAY from showbiz by practically  inventing the niche of custom-built trailers and making life quite comfortable for his loved ones.RIP, Mr. Waggoner!

• Like 19

Children's author Betsy Byars has died.  Summer of the Swans and The Night Swimmers were probably her best known books

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/books/betsy-byars-dead.html?fbclid=IwAR0lGKjw8F6B9M3hhoCcvuPR2tGZyzPX6DCX1V4_p6FW5LOoibEuQcj7gcI

also, we've lost another astronaut, Apollo astronaut Al Worden:

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-031820a-apollo-astronaut-alfred-worden-obituary.html

• Sad 12

Probably not considered a celebrity by most standards, but Dr. Catherine Hamlin, who died yesterday at the age of 96, was truly a great woman, hero, and role model. At its most basic level, the work she and her husband did in Ethiopia saved the lives of countless women who were suffering from obstetric fistulas.

She did far more than save individual lives. She gave the women she helped back their dignity and self-esteem, helped them overcome the stigma of suffering from fistulas. Her foundation established five rural hospitals and a college of midwifery.

May she rest in peace. May her memory be for a blessing. And may her work continue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51965688

Edited by praeceptrix · Reason: damn autocorrect...
  • Like 9
  • Useful 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Probably not considered a celebrity by most standards, but Dr. Catherine Hamlin, who died yesterday at the age of 96, was truly a great woman, hero, and role model. At its most basic level, the work she and her husband did in Ethiopia saved the lives of countless women who were suffering from obstetric fistulas.

She did far more than save individual lives. She gave the women she helped back their dignity and self-esteem, helped them overcome the stigma of suffering from fistulas. Her foundation established five rural hospitals and a college of midwifery.

May she rest in peace. May her memory be for a blessing. And may her work continue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51965688

Thank you for posting about this remarkable woman.  R.I.P. Dr. Hamlin.  

• Like 8

An employee of MSNBC news, Larry Edgeworth, has died from covid-19. He was not an in front of the camera celebrity, but someone who made it possible for news broadcasts to happen.

https://thehill.com/media/488617-nbc-news-employees-dies-following-coronavirus-infection?amp=1&amp_recirculation=1

From the article:

MSNBC's Stephanie Ruhle told viewers Friday morning about Edgeworth's death and spoke while photos of the technician were displayed: "Larry, he's the big guy you see right there on the left during a shoot in Namibia back in 2011. He spent most of his 25 years at NBC News as a skilled audio technician, traveling the world to bring you, our beloved viewers the news. Many of us here were fortunate to work with him." 

MSNBC correspondent Garrett Haake shared a photo of Edgeworth on Friday, tweeting "The man on the left is Larry Edgeworth. I met him as the sound tech on our team that covered the Romney campaign in 2012. He called me 'slim,' and helped me put together my first resume tape. He was SO proud of his kids. He was hilarious. Yesterday he lost his fight with COVID-19."

It's worth reading the other tributes in the article.

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Sad 11

RIP Kenny.  He had such an amazing voice.  Although when we first heard "Lucille" we misheard the lyrics "four hungry children" as "four hundred children" and thought Lucille must have litters at a time.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 17

He became a caricature of himself in later years, with the botched Botox or face lift jobs, but he never lost the essential Kenny spirit that made him a charming tv personality, and great storyteller.

RIP Gambler....

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 6

Oh no. I fuckin' love Kenny Rogers. Nobody sings a love song better. RIP sir and thank you.

I just realized he died yesterday the 20th which was the day my dad died 3 years ago. My dad was a huge country music fan but he was a bit baffled by my Kenny love although he did like him. 💔

• Sad 12

My favorite love song is Lady which was written by Lionel Richie but made famous by Kenny. Here's a duet of them both singing it.

This song will still bring tears to my eyes even after all these years.

Also this one: My favorite duet ever

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

RIP Kenny.  He had such an amazing voice.  Although when we first heard "Lucille" we misheard the lyrics "four hungry children" as "four hundred children" and thought Lucille must have litters at a time.

I was driving along, singing Lucille just a few days ago.  I bought the 45 years ago, converted it to CD (along with a lot of other songs I have on vinyl).  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Quite a moving tribute from Miss Parton! Yeah, it would be nice to think the now-departed Mr. Rogers would be asking the Almighty to help the rest of us still in this world through this time and I have to admit being moved not only by that sentiment but also by Miss Parton's wanting to give encouragement to us despite her obviously being simultaneously being upset over these news about the Corona virus AND her longtime collaborator's passing.

Yes, he had his faults (which I will forgo bringing up at this time) but he was a great artist who could bring moving emotions to the forefront via his work and I AM willing to give Miss Parton the benefit of the doubt that Mr. Rogers would be thinking of how to help and console  us through our current challenges. RIP, Mr. Rogers (and thank you, Miss Parton)!

• Like 7

I hate thinking she had to find out on television, given how close they were all those years, but I loved seeing that and of course her saying that she knows he's with God.

He was also very close to his other big country duet partner, Dottie West, so I like thinking that they are laughing together again, too.

RIP, Kenny. 😢 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Yes, he had his faults (which I will forgo bringing up at this time) but he was a great artist who could bring moving emotions to the forefront via his work and I AM willing to give Miss Parton the benefit of the doubt that Mr. Rogers would be thinking of how to help and console  us through our current challenges. RIP, Mr. Rogers (and thank you, Miss Parton)!

Thank you for not bring up his faults (seeing as how we all have them) because now is not the time.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Joke in my middle school when that song was popular:

”What did the trucker say when his wheel fell off?”

🎶”You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel...”🎶

RIP, Kenny.

• Laugh 14

Dolly Parton was the first person I thought of upon learning of Kenny Rogers's death; he was such a terrific duet partner, especially with her, and I watched their Real Love concert special so many times I could do all the banter along with them.

I was just listening to Kenny and Dolly's "You Can't Make Old Friends" yesterday; today the lyrics have gone from poignant to heartbreaking:

• Like 4
  • Sad 8

The most obvious favorite Kenny Rogers song is of course The Gambler but the others I really enjoyed were

Coward Of The County

The Greatest 

Islands In The Stream

If I Ever Fall In Love Again

You can find them all on youtube.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

Joke in my middle school when that song was popular:

”What did the trucker say when his wheel fell off?”

🎶”You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel...”🎶

RIP, Kenny.

RIP Kenny....sad to hear.  Lots of classic songs

Was time for him to fold them. 

Lady with Lionel Ritchie is another great song

And now I have it stuck in my head, back in college when I used to go watch my friends with actual musical talent do karaoke, someone used to always do Islands in the stream.  Can't remember who now

Also over the years I have come to appreciate Dolly Parton as a great humanitarian and celebrity. 

• Like 7

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one. It gained fame in 1967,  before Kenny went solo. It enjoyed a huge resurgence in popularity when it was used in The Big Lebowski. RIP, Mr. Rogers. Thanks for everything!!

Edited by punkypower · Reason: Capitalization is important.
  • Like 14

OtterMommy

This thread is not meant to be a collection of obituaries, but rather a place for us to pay respect (or not) to the recently departed celebrities*.  If you're leaving a link to an obituary, please also provide some sort of personal context about the deceased.  (* For this thread, a celebrity is an entertainment or widely recognized figure.)