Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Probably not considered a celebrity by most standards, but Dr. Catherine Hamlin, who died yesterday at the age of 96, was truly a great woman, hero, and role model. At its most basic level, the work she and her husband did in Ethiopia saved the lives of countless women who were suffering from obstetric fistulas.

She did far more than save individual lives. She gave the women she helped back their dignity and self-esteem, helped them overcome the stigma of suffering from fistulas. Her foundation established five rural hospitals and a college of midwifery.

May she rest in peace. May her memory be for a blessing. And may her work continue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51965688

Edited by praeceptrix
damn autocorrect...
  • Useful 3
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Probably not considered a celebrity by most standards, but Dr. Catherine Hamlin, who died yesterday at the age of 96, was truly a great woman, hero, and role model. At its most basic level, the work she and her husband did in Ethiopia saved the lives of countless women who were suffering from obstetric fistulas.

She did far more than save individual lives. She gave the women she helped back their dignity and self-esteem, helped them overcome the stigma of suffering from fistulas. Her foundation established five rural hospitals and a college of midwifery.

May she rest in peace. May her memory be for a blessing. And may her work continue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51965688

Thank you for posting about this remarkable woman.  R.I.P. Dr. Hamlin.  

• Love 8

An employee of MSNBC news, Larry Edgeworth, has died from covid-19. He was not an in front of the camera celebrity, but someone who made it possible for news broadcasts to happen.

https://thehill.com/media/488617-nbc-news-employees-dies-following-coronavirus-infection?amp=1&amp_recirculation=1

From the article:

MSNBC's Stephanie Ruhle told viewers Friday morning about Edgeworth's death and spoke while photos of the technician were displayed: "Larry, he's the big guy you see right there on the left during a shoot in Namibia back in 2011. He spent most of his 25 years at NBC News as a skilled audio technician, traveling the world to bring you, our beloved viewers the news. Many of us here were fortunate to work with him." 

MSNBC correspondent Garrett Haake shared a photo of Edgeworth on Friday, tweeting "The man on the left is Larry Edgeworth. I met him as the sound tech on our team that covered the Romney campaign in 2012. He called me 'slim,' and helped me put together my first resume tape. He was SO proud of his kids. He was hilarious. Yesterday he lost his fight with COVID-19."

It's worth reading the other tributes in the article.

Edited by praeceptrix

RIP Kenny.  He had such an amazing voice.  Although when we first heard "Lucille" we misheard the lyrics "four hungry children" as "four hundred children" and thought Lucille must have litters at a time.

• LOL 17
  • Love 4

He became a caricature of himself in later years, with the botched Botox or face lift jobs, but he never lost the essential Kenny spirit that made him a charming tv personality, and great storyteller.

RIP Gambler....

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 6

Oh no. I fuckin' love Kenny Rogers. Nobody sings a love song better. RIP sir and thank you.

I just realized he died yesterday the 20th which was the day my dad died 3 years ago. My dad was a huge country music fan but he was a bit baffled by my Kenny love although he did like him. 💔

My favorite love song is Lady which was written by Lionel Richie but made famous by Kenny. Here's a duet of them both singing it.

This song will still bring tears to my eyes even after all these years.

Also this one: My favorite duet ever

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

RIP Kenny.  He had such an amazing voice.  Although when we first heard "Lucille" we misheard the lyrics "four hungry children" as "four hundred children" and thought Lucille must have litters at a time.

I was driving along, singing Lucille just a few days ago.  I bought the 45 years ago, converted it to CD (along with a lot of other songs I have on vinyl).  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Quite a moving tribute from Miss Parton! Yeah, it would be nice to think the now-departed Mr. Rogers would be asking the Almighty to help the rest of us still in this world through this time and I have to admit being moved not only by that sentiment but also by Miss Parton's wanting to give encouragement to us despite her obviously being simultaneously being upset over these news about the Corona virus AND her longtime collaborator's passing.

Yes, he had his faults (which I will forgo bringing up at this time) but he was a great artist who could bring moving emotions to the forefront via his work and I AM willing to give Miss Parton the benefit of the doubt that Mr. Rogers would be thinking of how to help and console  us through our current challenges. RIP, Mr. Rogers (and thank you, Miss Parton)!

• Love 6

I hate thinking she had to find out on television, given how close they were all those years, but I loved seeing that and of course her saying that she knows he's with God.

He was also very close to his other big country duet partner, Dottie West, so I like thinking that they are laughing together again, too.

RIP, Kenny. 😢 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Yes, he had his faults (which I will forgo bringing up at this time) but he was a great artist who could bring moving emotions to the forefront via his work and I AM willing to give Miss Parton the benefit of the doubt that Mr. Rogers would be thinking of how to help and console  us through our current challenges. RIP, Mr. Rogers (and thank you, Miss Parton)!

Thank you for not bring up his faults (seeing as how we all have them) because now is not the time.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Joke in my middle school when that song was popular:

”What did the trucker say when his wheel fell off?”

🎶”You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel...”🎶

RIP, Kenny.

• LOL 14

Dolly Parton was the first person I thought of upon learning of Kenny Rogers's death; he was such a terrific duet partner, especially with her, and I watched their Real Love concert special so many times I could do all the banter along with them.

I was just listening to Kenny and Dolly's "You Can't Make Old Friends" yesterday; today the lyrics have gone from poignant to heartbreaking:

• Love 4

The most obvious favorite Kenny Rogers song is of course The Gambler but the others I really enjoyed were

Coward Of The County

The Greatest 

Islands In The Stream

If I Ever Fall In Love Again

You can find them all on youtube.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, smittykins said:

Joke in my middle school when that song was popular:

”What did the trucker say when his wheel fell off?”

🎶”You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel...”🎶

RIP, Kenny.

RIP Kenny....sad to hear.  Lots of classic songs

Was time for him to fold them. 

Lady with Lionel Ritchie is another great song

And now I have it stuck in my head, back in college when I used to go watch my friends with actual musical talent do karaoke, someone used to always do Islands in the stream.  Can't remember who now

Also over the years I have come to appreciate Dolly Parton as a great humanitarian and celebrity. 

• Love 7

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one. It gained fame in 1967,  before Kenny went solo. It enjoyed a huge resurgence in popularity when it was used in The Big Lebowski. RIP, Mr. Rogers. Thanks for everything!!

Edited by punkypower
Capitalization is important.
  • Love 14

I was never a fan per se of Rogers but I will say the older I get, I appreciate real talent the heft behind the vocals and guitars of those famous songs....

One song, however, grabbed me the moment I heard it....and I requested it on Country Radio for months when it came out...and when I woke up at 5am today, I read the news and started singing every lyric to it...Love Will Turn You Around:

• Love 5
1 minute ago, stonehaven said:

I was never a fan per se of Rogers but I will say the older I get, I appreciate real talent the heft behind the vocals and guitars of those famous songs....

One song, however, grabbed me the moment I heard it....and I requested it on Country Radio for months when it came out...and when I woke up at 5am today, I read the news and started singing every lyric to it...Love Will Turn You Around:

This was a hit for him at Pop & Adult Contemporary radio too; I know they played it there, seemingly a lot, back in the day. It was originally from the soundtrack of a movie he starred in, called “Six Pack”. It was him, kids & auto racing.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, punkypower said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one. It gained fame in 1967,  before Kenny went solo. It enjoyed a huge resurgence in popularity when it was used in The Big Lebowski. RIP, Mr. Rogers. Thanks for everything!!

I was reminded this morning that Mr. ebk became a stagehand because of Kenny Rogers and the First Edition.  They were playing a concert on his campus.  His dorm was near the arena and when the trucks got there, some guys from the dorm were co-opted to help unload and set up the show.  Then they found out the band was somewhere else.  So they took the show down and loaded up the trucks. Mr. ebk was hooked and the rest is history.

The band came back the following year to do a make-up show, so that was nice. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
On 3/20/2020 at 12:41 PM, praeceptrix said:

An employee of MSNBC news, Larry Edgeworth, has died from covid-19. He was not an in front of the camera celebrity, but someone who made it possible for news broadcasts to happen.

https://thehill.com/media/488617-nbc-news-employees-dies-following-coronavirus-infection?amp=1&amp_recirculation=1

From the article:

MSNBC's Stephanie Ruhle told viewers Friday morning about Edgeworth's death and spoke while photos of the technician were displayed: "Larry, he's the big guy you see right there on the left during a shoot in Namibia back in 2011. He spent most of his 25 years at NBC News as a skilled audio technician, traveling the world to bring you, our beloved viewers the news. Many of us here were fortunate to work with him." 

MSNBC correspondent Garrett Haake shared a photo of Edgeworth on Friday, tweeting "The man on the left is Larry Edgeworth. I met him as the sound tech on our team that covered the Romney campaign in 2012. He called me 'slim,' and helped me put together my first resume tape. He was SO proud of his kids. He was hilarious. Yesterday he lost his fight with COVID-19."

It's worth reading the other tributes in the article.

How is this a celebrity?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

How is this a celebrity?

If you watched 2 or more shows on any NBC network yesterday, you felt like Larry was a celebrity.  He was an important part of getting the celebs on the air.  And from everything said about him, he was an all-around fabulous guy.  I, for one, am always grateful to see the backstage folks get some on-air love. My only nitpick would be that by the end of the day, I wanted more pictures of Larry than the 4 or 5 they kept showing. 

Thanks for everything Larry, and RIP. 

• Love 18
15 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

If you watched 2 or more shows on any NBC network yesterday, you felt like Larry was a celebrity.  He was an important part of getting the celebs on the air.  And from everything said about him, he was an all-around fabulous guy.  I, for one, am always grateful to see the backstage folks get some on-air love. My only nitpick would be that by the end of the day, I wanted more pictures of Larry than the 4 or 5 they kept showing. 

Thanks for everything Larry, and RIP. 

I’m so sorry, didn’t really mean to a actually post that and you are so right that it is wonderful  when those in front of the camera thank all those who make it possible.

• Love 3

The former president of Real Madrid, Lorenzo Sanz, has died from the coronavirus.He was 76.

I've not paid attention to fútbol since I lived in Barcelona in the last century (and, of course rooted for Barça and against Real Madrid), but the fact that yet another family has lost a loved one to the pandemic is still sad.

https://www.elperiodico.com/es/deportes/20200321/fallece-coronavirus-expresidente-madrid-lorenzo-sanz-7899767

Edited by praeceptrix
to fix a typo (medicinal scotch disrupts the ability to type on a tiny phone screen...)

Rachel Maddow ended her show on Friday with a tribute to Larry Edgeworth and broke down crying and couldn't do the usual handoff to The Last Word. The camera went to Ali Velshi subbing for Lawrence O'Donnell and he just sat there stunned for about 30 seconds before he started the show.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, punkypower said:

I also thought first of that one and Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town (a Vietnam war era classic):

• Love 8

Take a listen to this if you would like to hear an analysis of what makes a vocalist great and a performance work, as well as a look at music history.

Kenny and Dolly singing Islands in the Stream Live

Edited by Bunty
different word choice
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, praeceptrix said:

Covid-19 claims another legend: saxophonist Manu Dibango, 86, of Cameroon. If you listened to Afrobeat,  Herbie Hancock, or other jazz music in the last century, you heard his saxophone.

Michael Jackson settled out of court when Dibango sued him for using part Soul Makossa in a couple of tracks on Thriller.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52017834

I just listened to Soul Makossa on You Tube.

R.I.P., Mr Dibango

Nashom Wooden, a celebrity in the NYC Drag scene who appeared in Flawless with Robert de Niro and Philip Seymour Hoffman, was found dead in his apartment on Monday. He was 50 and in good shape in spite of living with HIV. It's assumed that covid-19 was what killed him, but he wasn't tested so we don't know.

I didn't know him, but I'm sure that many of my friends who are part of the drag scene did.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/style/nashom-wooden-mona-foot-death-coronavirus.html

• Love 1
On 3/23/2020 at 10:57 AM, Bunty said:

Take a listen to this if you would like to hear an analysis of what makes a vocalist great and a performance work, as well as a look at music history.

Kenny and Dolly singing Islands in the Stream Live

Great song and duet! One of the best songs ever. RIP  Kenny.

• Love 4