Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Two 101-year-old women who achieved fame in their twilight years for their long-unheralded youthful accomplishments dying on the very same day is a rather unusual coincidence.

I was doubly stunned yesterday for exactly this reason, having seen both Hidden Figures and several of Baby Peggy's early films (and the fine documentary from 2012).  Katherine Johnson has died at 101 - then Baby Peggy (Diana Serra Cary) has died at 101 -  it was a double shock.  I am glad though as mentioned that both lived long enough to receive the recognition they deserved, and enjoyed loving families, odd though the coincidence is.  Rest in peace to both admirable women.

By the way the New York Times had a fine piece on Ms. Cary today.

• Love 9

I’m embarrassed to say that I thought Mrs. Cary had died a few years ago.

RIP Baby Peggy, and Ms. Johnson.  Thank both you ladies for your extraordinary courage.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 5

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51644229

I just saw that best-selling author Clive Cussler has died.  I haven't kept up with his books (as it happens when authors have written many, many books about the same characters I thought they got a little stale), but I have all of his earlier novels and re-read them occasionally. Dirk Pitt's adventures were just about as unrealistic as some of James Bond's (and I like Bond, too), but I enjoyed them.  RIP, Mr. Cussler. 

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51644229

I just saw that best-selling author Clive Cussler has died.  I haven't kept up with his books (as it happens when authors have written many, many books about the same characters I thought they got a little stale), but I have all of his earlier novels and re-read them occasionally. Dirk Pitt's adventures were just about as unrealistic as some of James Bond's (and I like Bond, too), but I enjoyed them.  RIP, Mr. Cussler. 

He died on Monday at the age of 88. I didn't even know that he was that old.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
3 hours ago, tessaray said:

I knew of her soap history of course but did not realize she had a substantial career of her own in journalism. 

Very sad. I always liked she was always w her little poodles/doodles. It’s very endearing and relatable to me. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

You may not know his name, but if you've taken the subway in NYC, you relied on his work! Michael Hertz, creator of the iconic NYC subway map (in use since 1979, I wish I could remember the one we had before it). has died. He was 87.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51648746

The one before was by Massimo Vignelli. I loved that map.  The Hertz map is functional, but the Vignelli map was practically art.  And it got me where I needed to go, so it did work.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ebk57 said:

The one before was by Massimo Vignelli. I loved that map.  The Hertz map is functional, but the Vignelli map was practically art.  And it got me where I needed to go, so it did work.

Thanks!

It was late and I had had a very long day, so I could not remember when I posted (& I doubt I would have known the designer's name without help). I do remember that the old map was almost Art Deco, all elegant lines, and quite functional, too. I have vague memories of an exhibit of different maps at the Transit Museum. I wonder if they will do something special to commemorate Mr. Hertz's passing? Time for another visit!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I'm not familiar with the code either.

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A. It's an NES video game cheat code that ended up taking on a life of its own, so much so that it's an Easter egg on more than a few modern websites. It even shows up in Wreck-It Ralph; it's what King Candy enters on the controller to enter Sugar Rush's programming code.

Wikipedia has a good list of various places the code shows up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I knew Lee Phillip Bell started her career in Chicago as a journalist.  The great Irna Phillips was also from Chicago which was the connection that got Lee and Bill Bell in soaps.

The Young and the Restless used to be Must See Soap TV for me.  Victor locking Michael Scott in his basement. Shelia switching Lauren's baby and all that followed.  That infamous day David Kimball went in the plastic surgeon's office wanting to look like David Hasselhoff and came out with KILLER carved on his forehead.  Good times.  R.I.P. Ms. Bell.

• Love 6
On 2/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, tessaray said:

I knew of her soap history of course but did not realize she had a substantial career of her own in journalism. 

She did. I actually appeared on her daytime talk show, which was called The Lee Phillip Show (she didn’t use the last name Bell professionally then), during 1 of my March of Dimes promotional trips to Chicago, back in the day; I also have her autograph in 1 of my autograph books from that period. She did 1 of those shows that either was considered part of the local Noon news—on CBS Channel 2 in Chicago—or which aired immediately after the local Noon news.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment and fix a spellcheck error.
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

She was. I actually appeared on her daytime talk show, which was called The Lee Phillip Show (she didn’t use the last name Bell professionally then), during 1 of my March of Dimes promotional trips to Chicago, back in the day; I also have her autograph in 1 of my autograph books from that period. She did 1 of those shows that either was considered part of the local Noon news—on CBS Channel 2 in Chicago—or which aired immediately after the local Noon news.

When were you on her talk show?

On 2/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, MaryMitch said:

Ben Cooper, who was in a ton of (mostly) westerns during the 50s and 60s, died at age 86. 

Ben Cooper also was in multiple episodes of Perry Mason, including one I just watched tonight on FETV. 

Spoiler

Double murderer!  He killed them both and was glad he did. 

R.I.P. Mr. Cooper.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Ben Cooper also was in multiple episodes of Perry Mason, including one I just watched tonight on FETV. 

Hide contents

Double murderer!

R.I.P. Mr. Cooper.

Perry Mason also airs here on MeTV. We used to have FETV, but it got dropped in favor of infomercials.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I just thought about him yesterday, as I was struggling (unsuccessfully) to find a way to watch an episode of the new/non-Lipton version of Inside the Actors Studio (on the Ovation network), because I either cannot find it in my cable listings/On Demand or I cannot access it on the Ovation website. 

I miss the days of ITAS being a regular series on the Bravo channel, when it was easier to access and James was the host! 

James definitely seemed like the type who didn't suffer fools in his on-camera or off-camera life.  Sometimes he came across as stuffy and pompous.  He certainly wasn't interested in talking about the seedier, more lurid, sides of the entertainment business (on camera).  And yet, if you watched ITAS long enough, you saw that he had a bit of a mischievous side and naughty sense of humor that would trickle out, or he would occasionally reveal a surprisingly provocative detail about his life.  I think there was a lot more to him than what we saw on camera.  I think he had some wild times!  lol

Edited to add: I just remembered that there were a couple of years when James was still active on ITAS, and ITAS was still one of Bravo's big shows, and James had to appear in a couple of those crazy promos/commercials/music videos for Bravo that included various cast members from various series on the network, goofing around and/or interacting with each other. 

So those Bravo programming promos put James in the same orbit as, for example, the cast of Real Housewives of Atlanta or something like that.  🤣   But I honestly cannot recall if he was in any actual scenes with any of the Bravo reality stars, or if he was alone in his shots.  Maybe he was never even on the set and just filmed his sequences separately, to be added in later.  I can't picture him being thrilled about being lumped in with Real Housewives and the other reality stars of the network.  I think he barely tolerated Andy Cohen when he appeared on Andy's show.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I wonder what God said to him at the pearly gates...

Maybe he asked him about his favorite curse word? lol

Edited by TVFan17
  • LOL 10
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

2 hours ago, rainsmom said:

Wow! I had no idea he was that old. RIP, Mr. Lipton.

My first thought was also I had no idea James Lipton was that old!  

I used to watch Inside the Actors Studio all the time; especially loved the earlier interviews.  R.I.P. Mr. Lipton.  

• Love 6
Just now, atlantaloves said:

Loved loved loved James Lipton....HE GAVE GOOD INTERVIEW PEOPLE.....THE BEST, SO GLAD HE HAD SUCH A NICE LONG LIFE. GOD WILL LET HIM IN, TRUST ME.

If you're interested, there are some classic episodes of Inside The Actor's Studio available to watch on Ovation.

• Love 3