Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Kromm

In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths

Well, I guess that could be said by quite a few on here about quite a few people posted about here, but I do agree it is sad.

Most people would probably know of her work (outside the theater) as the Grand Councilwoman throughout the Lili & Stitch franchise.

Here is Audra McDonald's tribute to her on Twitter:

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Well, I guess that could be said by quite a few on here about quite a few people posted about here, but I do agree it is sad.

Most people would probably know of her work (outside the theater) as the Grand Councilwoman throughout the Lili & Stitch franchise.

Here is Audra McDonald's tribute to her on Twitter:

I've heard of Lilo & Stitch, but have only seen the TV show and that's it.

Well, I do hope you might be inspired to seek out her performances that are on tape where you can and when you can.

Being called the most brilliant actress by someone of Audra McDonald's caliber is high praise indeed.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Well, I do hope you might be inspired to seek out her performances that are on tape where you can and when you can.

Being called the most brilliant actress by someone of Audra McDonald's caliber is high praise indeed.

I'll make sure to look them up on YouTube.

Cool you can start with this brief clip, featuring both Zoe and Audra together 🙂

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Cool you can start with this brief clip, featuring both Zoe and Audra together 🙂

Fantastic clip! Thanks for sharing it.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I did see that yesterday. There are other tributes on this link as well.

https://www.metv.com/tag/obituaries

And here is their In Memoriam from 2019.

https://www.metv.com/lists/in-memoriam-remembering-the-tv-stars-we-lost-in-2019

Here are some tributes by fellow rappers about Pop Smoke:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-02-19/up-and-coming-rapper-pop-smoke-killed-in-hollywood-hills-home-by-masked-gunmen-police-say?_amp=true

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Thank you.  I didn't check METV for an In Memoriam tribute.

You’re welcome. I just thought that it should be posted.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:47 PM, MissAlmond said:

Janet Jackson (yes that Janet Jackson for those who don't know) who played Ms. Dubois daughter Penny in Good Times send out condolences.

What a wonderful tribute from Miss Jackson! That post is one of the nicest things I've seen her say about someone unrelated . In any case, Miss DuBois proved to be the sorely needed guiding light for Good Times  in its latter years AND did a very good job composing and singing 'Movin' On Up' (I hope she got steady royalty payments for that)!  RIP, Miss DuBois.

• Like 13

Sy Sperling, the founder of the Hair Club for Men ("I'm not just the president but also a client.") has died at age at 78.  No doubt a memorable set of commercials but I have to wonder if his rug survives him. Seriously, though it also turns out that he started a charity called Hair Club for Kids that provides wigs to children under 18 who've lost their original hair to chemotherapy so I think that's a truly good thing to have done and sincerely worthy of remembrance. RIP, Mr. Sperling.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sy-sperling-hair-club-for-men-dead-174255141.html

• Like 9
  • Sad 6

On 2/21/2020 at 4:38 AM, Blergh said:

Sy Sperling, the founder of the Hair Club for Men ("I'm not just the president but also a client.") has died at age at 78.  No doubt a memorable set of commercials but I have to wonder if his rug survives him. Seriously, though it also turns out that he started a charity called Hair Club for Kids that provides wigs to children under 18 who've lost their original hair to chemotherapy so I think that's a truly good thing to have done and sincerely worthy of remembrance. RIP, Mr. Sperling.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sy-sperling-hair-club-for-men-dead-174255141.html

May he Rest In Peace.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2020 at 4:38 AM, Blergh said:

I hadn't heard about his charity before. How wonderful.

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

I hadn't heard about his charity before. How wonderful.

Same. I had never even heard of the charity before until looking it up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Wasn’t familiar with her, but may she RIP.

Before the Alzheimer’s, she was kind of the African-American Martha Stewart. Plus she owned restaurants where Martha Stewart did not/has not.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

7 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Before the Alzheimer’s, she was kind of the African-American Martha Stewart. Plus she owned restaurants where Martha Stewart did not/has not.

Thank you for that information.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shoregirl said:

https://people.com/food/b-smith-dies-age-70/

Model and restaurateur B. Smith dies at 70 from alzheimer. She announced her diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer disease in 2014.

I don't always click on the links, but I am glad that I clicked on that one. She was strikingly beautiful, and I love the red and gold outfit she is wearing in the picture with her husband.

Dementia is not pleasant for anyone involved. I hope her loved ones can treasure the good memories.

• Like 10

I ate at one of her restaurants in DC and the food was excellent.  

She had such a beautiful smile.  R.I.P., Ms. Smith.

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I ate at one of her restaurants in DC and the food was excellent.  

She had such a beautiful smile.  R.I.P., Ms. Smith.

I didn’t know that she was sick for years.

• Sad 3

Great that Mrs. Johnson contributed SO much in her career and did so much to help others get recognized for their talents AND that she lived to see her legacy get widely acknowledged before her death (and still had the facilities to enjoy it) ! Oh, and it should be mentioned that she did  a good part of her work in trying conditions when she was widowed after her first husband's early death and having to provide for their  three children. Not many reach 101 much less achieve so much. RIP, Mrs. Johnson and enjoy the heavens you so diligently calculated about so many decades!

• Like 19

I'm happy her amazing story got told before she passed away. Mrs. Johnson and the other women who were "hidden figures" changed the world and deserved to be recognized for their contributions to get us to the moon.

The New York Times opening. "They asked Katherine Johnson for the moon and she gave it to them..." Is beautiful and true.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/science/katherine-johnson-dead.html

• Like 20
  • Sad 6

22 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Just for clarification. This violation was from 2015. There is still no official cause for the crash last month as the investigation is ongoing.

From the above article:

"In 2015, he requested to continue flying using special visual flight rules (VFR), which would allow him to fly in suboptimal visibility conditions but was denied, unlike last month when he was granted the request."

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

3 hours ago, shoregirl said:
The New York Times opening. "They asked Katherine Johnson for the moon and she gave it to them..." Is beautiful and true.

I don't generally cry at obits/comments, but damn.  That's a beautiful tribute to an extraordinary lady.

• Like 15

Posted this in the TCM thread too - Diana Serra Cary, child star in the silent movie era known as Baby Peggy, died today at 101.  Her career ended at the age of 6.  There was a great documentary done about her several years ago that I'm hoping TCM will air as a tribute to her.  

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Posted this in the TCM thread too - Diana Serra Cary, child star in the silent movie era known as Baby Peggy, died today at 101.  Her career ended at the age of 6.  There was a great documentary done about her several years ago that I'm hoping TCM will air as a tribute to her.  

I'll post about this on TCM's website as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Article from The Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/baby-peggy-dead-silent-film-star-was-101-831926

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calvada said:

There was a great documentary done about her several years ago that I'm hoping TCM will air as a tribute to her.  

The documentary was fantastic! RIP, ma'am.

• Like 4

OtterMommy

This thread is not meant to be a collection of obituaries, but rather a place for us to pay respect (or not) to the recently departed celebrities*.  If you're leaving a link to an obituary, please also provide some sort of personal context about the deceased.  (* For this thread, a celebrity is an entertainment or widely recognized figure.)