Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I also believed the Oscars missed Rene Auberjonois in the In Memoriam. I know that for many he's a Star Trek tv guy, but he was in MASH (the film), The Little Mermaid, King Kong, McCabe & Mrs. Miller and several more films. He had a good working thing with Robert Altman. it's a shame that he was ignored.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, vibeology said:

I also believed the Oscars missed Rene Auberjonois in the In Memoriam. I know that for many he's a Star Trek tv guy, but he was in MASH (the film), The Little Mermaid, King Kong, McCabe & Mrs. Miller and several more films. He had a good working thing with Robert Altman. it's a shame that he was ignored.

They definitely missed René Auberjonois. I follow his Twitter account & whomever is now posting on his behalf (or also posted on his behalf before he died) posted about it & was not happy about it either. I guess the Academy must think he (& Carroll Spinney) was more notable for his TV work than his film work.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change a word (twice).
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

They definitely missed René Auberjonois. I follow his Twitter account & whomever is now posting on his behalf (or also posted on his behalf before he died) posted about it & was not happy about it either. I guess the Academy must think he (& Carroll Spinney) was more notable for his TV work than his film work.

That is the logic they are pedaling.  I personally reject the logic because they included Kobe Bryant

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

That is the logic they are pedaling.  I personally reject the logic because they included Kobe Bryant

Kobe Bryant made sense, as an Oscar winner.  Which is why Luke Perry, who was in a nominated film this year, being omitted was inexcusable.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Archery said:

Kobe Bryant made sense, as an Oscar winner.  Which is why Luke Perry, who was in a nominated film this year, being omitted was inexcusable.  

I doubt that an Oscar equals automatic inclusion to the list.  Not when hundreds weren't included. He was included because he's Kobe Bryant.  And there would have been a shit storm if they hadn't because his fans could point to the Oscar winning short film based on his retirement letter to a newspaper.  I'll never be able to prove this because no one will be able to name the various producers, writers, etc who have Oscars for some one off project who died this year.

I'm sure there were a bunch of people who made a larger contribution to film than Kobe but they don't have the name recognition to be noticed.

On the topic of Luke Perry, being in a movie that was nominated doesn't automatically mean he should be included.  There were actors that were nominated, but didn't win, or made a larger contribution to film that were not nominated who were also omitted.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5
On 2/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, BW Manilowe said:

They didn't mention Rene (Bless this Jeep) Aubergonois!  My college friends and I had to go back to the Riviera Theater  FIVE TIMES to see M*A*S*H in 1980 because the audience was laughing so hard we couldn't hear most of the dialogue.

Mr. Aubergonois was also a brilliant Audible narrator.  I have all of his Pendergast novels in my library.

• Love 4

Rather apt that the website linking details of Mr. Martin's death starts with the letter E and W.

Just EWWWWW!!! To the whole thing!

YUCK!! Those poor children having to go through  that nastiness!!!

I hope they can somehow take consolation that at least they won't have to testify about what horrible things that seemed to have happened in a court of law! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3

Not one mention of Lynn Cohen aka Magdalena from Sex and the City and Mags from Catching Fire passing away yesterday?! I am appalled.

Magda was awesome and the one person that called Miranda on her crap. Loved that. And she was a fantastic Mags. RIP.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Not one mention of Lynn Cohen aka Magdalena from Sex and the City and Mags from Catching Fire passing away yesterday?! I am appalled.

It was posted upthread:

9 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

She not only lived a long life, but was working up until the end - per IMDb, she did nearly ten screen projects last year, she has four more in post right now, and was slated to be in something that's in pre-production.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Rather apt that the website linking details of Mr. Martin's death starts with the letter E and W.

Just EWWWWW!!! To the whole thing!

YUCK!! Those poor children having to go through  that nastiness!!!

I hope they can somehow take consolation that at least they won't have to testify about what horrible things that seemed to have happened in a court of law! 

It was also 2 posts above that, along with a couple of other obits, this time linked from TMZ.

• Love 1

It was also 2 posts above that, along with a couple of other obits, this time linked from TMZ.

Which was edited into that post after I had posted the original article about that death 😉

She not only lived a long life, but was working up until the end - per IMDb, she did nearly ten screen projects last year, she has four more in post right now, and was slated to be in something that's in pre-production.

Wow, good for her. Doing what she enjoyed, up until the very end.

• Love 5

Damn. This one breaks my heart. Nikita Pearl Waligwa was absolutely delightful as Gloria (the protagonist's close friend) in The Queen of Katwe. She was probably only 10 when it was filmed, was diagnosed with a brain tumor the year it came out, got treatment in India thanks to director Mira Nair, was given the all clear in 2017... but another brain tumor has taken her at only 15. Just damn.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51521775

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, praeceptrix said:

Damn. This one breaks my heart. Nikita Pearl Waligwa was absolutely delightful as Gloria (the protagonist's close friend) in The Queen of Katwe. She was probably only 10 when it was filmed, was diagnosed with a brain tumor the year it came out, got treatment in India thanks to director Mira Nair, was given the all clear in 2017... but another brain tumor has taken her at only 15. Just damn.

Aww. That’s sad.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

Damn, that's brutal. Highest high and lowest low at basically the same time. R.I.P.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

WHAT?!! NOOOOOO!

I loved Recess when I was a kid. Mikey was the best, the chubby kid with the sensitive soul of a poet and the singing voice of Robert Goulet. This breaks my heart.

I never watched Recess growing up (I wasn't even born when it premiered and was really little when it ended), but I remember watching it a couple of years ago and ended up enjoying it.

Haven't watched it in a long time though, but this news is really hitting me hard right now and don’t even know why that is.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Amie Harwick, Drew Carey's ex-fiancee, has apparently been murdered by an ex-boyfriend.

https://breaking911.com/breaking-amie-harwick-drew-careys-ex-fiance-has-reportedly-been-murdered-in-california/

Here is the article from TMZ about it.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/16/drew-carey-ex-fiancee-murdered-amie-harwick/

And from Deadline:

https://deadline.com/2020/02/amie-harwick-famed-therapist-who-appeared-in-the-doc-addicted-to-sexting-murdered-in-hollywood-1202861234/

And according to this Fox News article, an ex-boyfriend of Harwick was arrested on suspicion of murder.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/drew-carey-amie-harwick-murder-ex-boyfriend-arrested

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Love 2