Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

There's been plenty of time to add Kirk. 

Possibly but there is allegedly a Feb. 1st cutoff every year and the montages are decided upon/created by a non-producer panel weeks in advance.

Four days is pretty quick but I guess Harold Ramis died with seven days to go before the ceremony and they squeezed him in.  I would imagine they'll find a way to add Kirk.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Dani said:

Do you think that, because they apparently went back & added Kirk Douglas after they finished this year’s In Memoriam segment (what it sounds like they did to me), they’ll get blowback from the survivors of someone with a legitimate place on the In Memoriam in future years if they don’t edit them in before the ceremony (as in “You could edit the segment to add Kirk Douglas... why not my family member/other loved one?”)?

• Love 2

“You could edit the segment to add Kirk Douglas... why not my family member/other loved one?

Much as the same way the applause rises and falls during the IMS, it's a popularity contest.

• Love 2

Kirk Douglas was 103. I suspect that the Oscars in memoriam has been prepared to add him for at least five years now. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if he had been included and only edited out at the last minute.

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Would it be sacrilegious of me to want to picture Mr. Conrad standing up to St. Peter and daring him to knock a battery of his right shoulder at the Pearly Gates?  RIP, Mr. Conrad!

I loved those commercials.

”Come on...I dare ya.”

Edited by smittykins
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Robert Conrad, star of The Wild, Wild West has died, age 84.  I recently started watching reruns of TWWW and sorry to hear this..  Farewell, Mr. Conrad. You and your pants so tight.

Yes!  After first feeling sad about his death, the second thing I thought about was his cute butt in those tight pants.  

R.I.P., Mr. Conrad.

• Love 10

Oscars may decide to do something separate for Kirk during the broadcast, rather than fiddle with the IM already done.

Robert Conrad, although I watched him on WWW, will always be Pasquinel to me.  His persona and the character seemed to mesh so well!

RIP to all.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The last thing I saw Orson in was an episode of Two and a Half Men.  Prior to that mostly game shows.

Same here.  I had to go to IMDB because I watched that episode and was mentally snapping my fingers "I know him, but from where".  Sad that his life ended in such a violent way,

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Orson Bean always seemed to play the crotchety "get off of my lawn" type of character.

In terms of actors in general, I often got him confused with Tom Poston.

Not all the time. He also voiced Bilbo Baggins twice in the 70s cartoon versions of The Hobbit films before the movies came out. He also had a variety show in the 60s that featured guest stars like Jayne Mansfield and the whole bunch.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The most memorable thing I remember about Conrad was a commercial where he dared people to knock a battery off of his shoulder.

I will never forget his going ballistic when Gabe Kaplan outran him on Battle of the Network Stars, classic.

Good character actor as well, rest easy good man.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

The Oscar In Memoriam tribute was pathetic!  Aren't there any former TCM Remembers employees who can come in and help them?  At least they did a re-do for Andre Previn using the correct photo.  

It's pretty fucked up they omitted Luke Perry -- who even appeared in a film nominated for best picture this year.

13 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

It's pretty fucked up they omitted Luke Perry -- who even appeared in a film nominated for best picture this year.

I think they care more about who they can get to sing over the damn segment over who actually appears in it or if the content provided is correct.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Or Michael J Pollard who was not only in an Academy Award nominated film, Bonnie and Clyde, but nominated for a Best Supporting Actor award himself.  

10 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I think they care more about who they can get to sing over the damn segment over who actually appears in it or if the content provided is correct.

Yep.  I've said this for years.

ETA:  I was happy to see Wayne Fitzgerald made it.  Maybe his old guild contacted the clueless In Memoriam folk and said "We better see Wayne there or else the titles for this show are going to look awfully bad." (LOL)

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 7

It’s baffling that the Academy cannot keep track of film industry deaths over the course of the year. Just sign up for a forum like this and posters will do it for them. 

Also, what happened to iconic lines/ scenes that they usually include?  You didn’t really get a chance to focus on each person’s contributions. 

• Love 13

I didn't catch the whole tribute, but I noticed that some celebs had to "share" their space with another (Rutger Hauer was one), I guess so they could give camera time to the "singer" (most definitely in quotes) with the psychedelic hair who couldn't sing to save her damn life!

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Thanks for posting that, MikaelaArsenault.

That's a lovely obituary (& I think it's pretty cool that one of the pictures is Mr. Jordan with Kirk Douglas), written by someone who actually knew the man. He's definitely one of those "hey, it's that guy!" British actors, with a long and impressive career, who also sounds like a good person. I'm glad he didn't let his wife destroy her drawings when she was discouraged -- the obit has a link to some of her illustrations (from her obituary?) which are charming.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, praeceptrix said:

Thanks for posting that, MikaelaArsenault.

That's a lovely obituary (& I think it's pretty cool that one of the pictures is Mr. Jordan with Kirk Douglas), written by someone who actually knew the man. He's definitely one of those "hey, it's that guy!" British actors, with a long and impressive career, who also sounds like a good person. I'm glad he didn't let his wife destroy her drawings when she was discouraged -- the obit has a link to some of her illustrations (from her obituary?) which are charming.

You're welcome praeceptrix.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I didn't catch the whole tribute, but I noticed that some celebs had to "share" their space with another (Rutger Hauer was one), I guess so they could give camera time to the "singer" (most definitely in quotes) with the psychedelic hair who couldn't sing to save her damn life!

Someone apparently thinks she (Billie Eilish) can sing. She’s the same artist who won the 4 major awards—Best New Artist, Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Album of the Year—plus Best Pop Vocal Album, at the Grammys this year.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, basiltherat said:

She murdered that poor song.

• Love 7

RIP Robert Conrad, he was amazing. I will never forget the episode of Just Shoot Me, when Jack Gallo claimed in his memoir that bested Robert Conrad (in think in a fist fight or maybe a boxing match) because he thought Conrad was dead. Conrad came to his office to challenge him.

Just Shoot Me was one of my favorite shows that I can’t seem to find anywhere 

• Love 5
On 2/10/2020 at 10:52 AM, Archery said:

It’s baffling that the Academy cannot keep track of film industry deaths over the course of the year. Just sign up for a forum like this and posters will do it for them. 

Oh, they keep track as evident by the link below:

The Oscars In Memoriam 2020 - The Slideshow. 

https://oscar.go.com/photos/2020/oscars-in-memoriam-2020-photos/5a94d7f4f5ebe4fa81e246d3e83d6b9bc0686c942be7d2222b4de89cc9cc6c67

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3
On 2/10/2020 at 11:09 AM, basiltherat said:

I was so bugged by the In Memorium sequence.  Giving short shrift to Rutger F-ing Hauer???  He was an icon who made me cry ("Tears in Rain") and scared me to death in "The Hitcher".

I had to rerun the DVR to make sure they even mentioned him.

RIP,Roy Batty.  You will always be in my heart.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Oh, they keep track as evident by the link below:

The Oscars In Memoriam 2020 - The Slideshow. 

https://oscar.go.com/photos/2020/oscars-in-memoriam-2020-photos/5a94d7f4f5ebe4fa81e246d3e83d6b9bc0686c942be7d2222b4de89cc9cc6c67

Both the website and the televised list are selected by a committee from a much larger list of submissions. That's how Luke Perry ended up on the website but not the broadcast.  Viewers tend to notice one or two well known people (often actors) that were omitted.  It might have been an oversight or deliberate, but there are hundreds of people who were eligible to be included but were omitted because they cut the list of honorees to something they think is manageable to the attention spans of viewers.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Way too young.  R.I.P. Mr. Coleman.  

Indeed.  From a CNN article:

His stepfather, Carsten Jensen, said on Facebook that Coleman "collapsed without prior health problems" during a trip.

There's usually an autopsy in such circumstances, no?  Sounds like maybe an aneurysm or previously unknown heart problem.  So sad.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Both the website and the televised list are selected by a committee from a much larger list of submissions. That's how Luke Perry ended up on the website but not the broadcast.  Viewers tend to notice one or two well known people (often actors) that were omitted.  It might have been an oversight or deliberate, but there are hundreds of people who were eligible to be included but were omitted because they cut the list of honorees to something they think is manageable to the attention spans of viewers

Pffft. The Academy always says this after they’ve disrespected someone - in front and behind the camera - once again with their half ass In Memoriam segment. Nobody expects them to include everyone but omitting a Michael J. Pollard?  They should stop making excuses, learn the history of their own industry, and show proper respect to those who contributed to it.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 15