Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Kirk Douglas.  I agree with those who find Paths of Glory the highlight of his career.  Saving Private Ryan and Platoon were great examples of the futility of war, but nothing has moved me to the degree Paths of Glory has, and it was released 64 years ago.  Kirk was pitch-perfect in his take-down of the croissant-munching, brandy-sipping generals sitting in their castle while enlisted men were being slaughtered,  This movie has stayed with me since the first time I saw it, and I was a teenager during Vietnam.  Who can deny the parallels?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

This was so sad.  He was one of those guys always around.   He even has a film in post production.    But oh, he was crossing the street to the theater where his wife was working.   She might have witnessed it.   Poor woman.   

91 and die crossing a street.   Active, getting around on his own, and THIS happens.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

This was so sad.  He was one of those guys always around.   He even has a film in post production.    But oh, he was crossing the street to the theater where his wife was working.   She might have witnessed it.   Poor woman.   

91 and die crossing a street.   Active, getting around on his own, and THIS happens.

What was the film?

15 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I remember Orson for Twilight Zone and all his game show appearances.  He was always such a sprightly, happy guy.  I'm sure more details will be forthcoming, but - damn! - 91 years old and hit by two cars.  Sadly, when his name comes up this will be the first thing you think of.

Like Richard Bright, Neri from the Godfather movies, who was hit by a New York tourist bus and dragged to death.  Yeesh.

RIP Orson.  You were a funny guy.

• Love 13
On 2/5/2020 at 10:11 PM, stonehaven said:

Just to go back to Gene Reynolds, who probably won't see the enormous press coverage that others will...Here's a great tribute written by Ken Levine, who got his start thanks to Gene...

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2020/02/rip-gene-reynolds.html

Wow, thank you for posting that!  

He also taught me how to be a good showrunner. Establish an organized professional environment high on support and low on drama. Treat everyone with respect, work to get the best out of people. And it’s as simple as this: I remember the first time we got script notes from Gene. There was a joke he didn’t like. Other showrunners might say “That sucks, get rid of it, no!” Gene pointed to it and said, “You might want to take another look at that joke.” It’s a little thing – tiny even – but it meant a lot. And that was Gene.

That fact that Levine remembers this and retells it means it was NOT tiny.  These are the things that people always remember about great managers, in any business.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, ABay said:

Orson was always a delight on talk shows and game shows. Fuck those drivers.

According to the article, it wasn't their fault. He emerged from between two cars. One clipped him, which sent him into the path of the other.

As sad as it is that his life ended via being hit by two cars in quick succession, at least Mr. Bean was still physically active to the end and seemed to have all his marbles even if one didn't necessarily agree with every one of his stances. RIP, Mr. Bean (born Dallas Frederick Burrows). 

• Love 8

What a horrible thing - knocked down by one car and than killed when run over by a second car.  I hope Mr. Bean was not aware of that second car coming at him.  The article I saw said he was declared dead at the scene, wasn't even transported to a hospital.  It didn't say whether he was walking in a crosswalk or crossing mid-street, or any other circumstances.  

• Love 4

RIP Mr. Bean. 

He was great in the small role he did in Equalizer 2 as the Jewish man searching for his sister. It might have been a hackneyed role for him, but he put all his 2 cents into the part with such emotion that you can't help, but root for him.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

As sad as it is that his life ended via being hit by two cars in quick succession, at least Mr. Bean was still physically active to the end and seemed to have all his marbles even if one didn't necessarily agree with every one of his stances. RIP, Mr. Bean (born Dallas Frederick Burrows). 

Having a mother his age who is still mentally competent but can no longer speak or move but talked of throwing herself in front of traffic when she still physically could have, my first thought was to wonder if he stepped in front of traffic on purpose. 
But no. He was still functioning and doing what he loved. So, IMO, too soon. 😢 
He will continue to grace my over-the-air TV show reruns in 1970s Match Game episodes with his gentle wit, and in an episode of The Closer that brought to light living conditions of the elderly, as well as in other appearances.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

So sorry to hear this.  What a horrible way to go.

5 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Like Richard Bright, Neri from the Godfather movies, who was hit by a New York tourist bus and dragged to death. 

I still remember how Richard Bright died every time I'm in NYC.  I make a point of standing far back from the curb.

R.I.P. Mr. Bean.

24 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Are you talking about Bean?  He's unlikely to make it this close to the ceremony. 

I'm sure it's a reference to Kirk Douglas.  Sad as Mr. Bean's death is, no way would he be considered "The Big One" for  Oscar's  In Memoriam segment.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

But oh, he was crossing the street to the theater where his wife was working.   She might have witnessed it.   Poor woman.

According to witnesses, Alley Mills (his wife) was on the scene, but I don't know if she saw him get hit (like if she was waiting on the other side of the street as he crossed) or if she was in the theatre, heard the commotion, and ran out to find the aftermath.  Awful memory to live with, either way.

The circumstances sound like a tragic accident all around, and I also feel sorry for the drivers who will live with the trauma of being involved (and with people assuming they recklessly plowed down an old man, rather than reading what happened).

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Are you talking about Bean?  He's unlikely to make it this close to the ceremony. 

I’d be surprised if Kirk Douglas makes it this year. Stanley Donen didn’t make it last year (or whichever year he died) & there were still 3 days to go before the Oscars that year.

Looking at that last sentence, I’m almost positive Kirk Douglas won’t make it this year (unless somebody at the Motion Picture Academy thinks he’s more worth adding on than Stanley Donen). I think Kirk tied Stanley & also died 3 days ahead of the Oscars. So if Stanley Donen died 3 days before & didn’t make the In Memoriam that year, neither should Kirk Douglas this year if he also died 3 days pre-Oscars, really.

6 hours ago, ABay said:

Orson was always a delight on talk shows and game shows. Fuck those drivers.

Can you imagine having to go through their lives now, not only knowing they hit & caused the death of a pedestrian while driving, but that the pedestrian was a celebrity? At least they know it wasn’t their fault, & they stopped after they hit him (or so I read) & didn’t hit & run, like that lady who hit Tony winner Ruthie Miles, her friend, & their kids awhile back (& then I think I remember reading this driver later committed suicide).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I’d be surprised if Kirk Douglas makes it this year. Stanley Donen didn’t make it last year (or whichever year he died) & there were still 3 days to go before the Oscars that year.

Looking at that last sentence, I’m almost positive Kirk Douglas won’t make it this year (unless somebody at the Motion Picture Academy thinks he’s more worth adding on than Stanley Donen). I think Kirk tied Stanley & also died 3 days ahead of the Oscars. So if Stanley Donen died 3 days before & didn’t make the In Memoriam that year, neither should Kirk Douglas this year if he also died 3 days pre-Oscars, really.

Stanley Donen died three days before but it was only reported the day before the Oscars. Three days is enough time to add one person.

Robert Conrad, star of The Wild, Wild West has died, age 84.  I recently started watching reruns of TWWW and sorry to hear this..  Farewell, Mr. Conrad. You and your pants so tight.  

https://deadline.com/2020/02/robert-conrad-dies-star-of-the-wild-wild-west-was-84-1202854756/

https://people.com/tv/robert-conrad-dead-at-84/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/robert-conrad-dead-wild-wild-west-action-star-was-84-1119262

https://www.thewrap.com/robert-conrad-star-of-tvs-wild-wild-west-dies-at-84/

Edited by MissAlmond
add'l industry links
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I really liked him in Baa Baa Black Sheep as well.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

According to witnesses, Alley Mills (his wife) was on the scene, but I don't know if she saw him get hit (like if she was waiting on the other side of the street as he crossed) or if she was in the theatre, heard the commotion, and ran out to find the aftermath.  Awful memory to live with, either way.

The circumstances sound like a tragic accident all around, and I also feel sorry for the drivers who will live with the trauma of being involved (and with people assuming they recklessly plowed down an old man, rather than reading what happened).

Thoughtful post,  Very sad, whatever happened,  Ugh -I could really use some good news right now.  Did the Browns win the Superbowl???

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Can you imagine having to go through their lives now, not only knowing they hit & caused the death of a pedestrian while driving, but that the pedestrian was a celebrity?

What? Like the person being a celebrity makes it worse and Bean’s life had more value? I imagine just the fact that it was a fellow human being is enough.

I remember him from his role on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. And also remember how “scandalous” it was when news of him and Alley Mills getting tigers was. She played a prostitute (cameo) in Quinn’s birthday episode, and then returned as Michaela’s older sister in a recurring role for a few seasons.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What? Like the person being a celebrity makes it worse and Bean’s life had more value? I imagine just the fact that it was a fellow human being is enough.

I remember him from his role on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. And also remember how “scandalous” it was when news of him and Alley Mills getting tigers was. She played a prostitute (cameo) in Quinn’s birthday episode, and then returned as Michaela’s older sister in a recurring role for a few seasons.

I didn’t mean it to sound like Orson Bean’s life had more value than someone else’s just because he was a celebrity. It didn’t & shouldn’t have. I guess I was just thinking it’s probably good the drivers’ names haven’t been released because at least they don’t have to worry about meeting random people in the future, & having them bring up this incident somehow (“So you were 1 of the 2 people who hit Orson Bean...”) even though the drivers weren’t at fault. So yeah, maybe in some ways being connected tangentially to a celebrity in a situation like this (like with all the other families besides the Bryant family being involved in the same helicopter crash as the Bryants) is, or might be, worse than just random anonymous people being involved in the same incident.

I’m not sure I’m explaining how I mean this very well. Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything. I just had a certain thought in my head & wanted to at least try to express it.

• Love 8

Would it be sacrilegious of me to want to picture Mr. Conrad standing up to St. Peter and daring him to knock a battery of his right shoulder at the Pearly Gates?  RIP, Mr. Conrad!

• LOL 18
  • Love 3