Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Nooo! I remember her as Blair Warner's mother, Monica Warner on Facts of Life! Marj seemed to be the one to go to when recasting! She played the recast Monica, and Alexandra Spaulding, of course. And then she played Pamela Capwell on Santa Barbara. Of course, I don't think the show ever explained how Pamela lost her British accent since the actress Marj replaced was a Brit!

She was such a wonderful and versatile actress.

So Marj wasn't the first actress to play Blair's mother?

Beverlee McKinsey was an incredibly tough act to follow, and I indeed liked her Alex better, but I enjoyed Dusay's performance of the role as well

Dusay was also let down by the writing too, which started to go downhill during McKinsey's last days. I too preferred McKinsey's Alex, but I think had the writing been better, Dusay could have also done better in the role.

• Love 5

From DeadlineOscars Plan to Recognize Kobe Bryant During Ceremony

It’s not yet known if it will be during this year’s In Memoriam or separately. Despite his Oscar win (in 2018 as part of the team behind the winner in the Animated Short Film category, Dear Basketball, based on a poem Kobe wrote upon his retirement), Kobe was not an Academy member.

From NBC Los Angeles: Vanessa Bryant Changes Instagram Profile to Photo of Kobe and Gianna

I get that it’s not really news when somebody changes their Instagram, or other social media, avatar to a pic of family members but this is the first public “‘statement” regarding the passing of her husband & second oldest daughter that Vanessa Bryant has made, & apparently the media discovered it & passed it along as notable.

• Love 2

From ET Online: Kobe Bryant and Daughter Gigi Honored by Brooklyn Nets with Empty Courtside Seats and Flowers

The other crash victims were honored as well; just not in the elaborate way Kobe & Gianna were. In a pregame presentation, a film of Kobe & Gianna was shown, the game announcer read all 9 of the victims’ names & their names were listed on what I guess is the facility’s scoreboard over the basketball court. There was also a moment of silence.

Also...

Multiple sources are reporting that Kobe will be honored, along with an NFL Hall of Famer who died of Cancer since the helicopter crash (his obit is upthread), during Sunday’s Super Bowl.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Sorry to hear the sad news about Marj Dusay.  Beverlee McKinsey was the definite Alexandra Spaulding (just as she was the definite Iris Carrington), but, IMO, Dusay was a suitable replacement.  I accepted her portrayal and she didn't turn me off GL.  That would be Jill Farren Phelps whom I still haven't forgiven for lacking the courage to pair Gilly and Alan-Michael.  And for Lucy.  And Tangie. 

R.I.P. Ms. Dusay.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

This is why the Oscars In Memoriam segment will never come close to touching TCM Remembers.  They're always pulling stunts to lure in viewers instead of having respect for the very people who worked in their own industry.  It's no wonder every year a family member complains their relative was omitted in spite of the fact they spend their entire life working in motion pictures.  If anyone deserves special In Memoriam recognition this year, it's Stanley Donen. But I guess he lived too long for The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to care.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 9

If anyone deserves special In Memoriam recognition this year, it's Stanley Donen. But I guess he lived too long for The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to care.  

Wait, what? Kobe "I may have raped a woman" Bryant is the In Memoriam Segment, but Stanley Donen isn't/wasn't?

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

It's really nice of the Oscars to be paying tribute to Kobe at this year's ceremony.

It's because he won an Oscar.

I'm not talking about simply being included!   I'm sure Donen will be as well as Kobe since he won an Oscar.  I have no problems with that.  I'm specifically talking about special recognition which is what it sounds like or else why are the Oscars making an announcement for normal In Memoriam inclusion?   If special recognition is indeed part of The Oscars plans, that spot belongs to Stanley Donen.  He earned it.     

FTR : Donen wasn't included last year because (IIRC) he died almost days before the Oscar broadcast. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

They should've included him too.

In spite of having a Film Editing category, the Oscars usually are at a loss for last minute inclusions to their In Memoriam segment.  As I just stated above, Donen will most surely be included this year.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

In spite of having a Film Editing category, the Oscars usually are at a loss for last minute inclusions to their In Memoriam segment.  As I just stated above, Donen will most surely be included this year.  

Thank you.

Okay folks, it may be time for a little reminder about this thread.

1 - This thread is for dead celebrities.  It is not for not-dead celebrities or dead not-celebrities.

2 - A "celebrity," for the sake of this thread, is someone in the entertainment/pop culture world who has enough notoriety that most people would know who they are.

3 - While it is fine to post links announcing someone's death, subsequent links regarding news around that death need to be moved to a more appropriate thread. 

We understand that there is some gray area around points 2 and 3, but we will be removing posts that clearly do not meet this criteria.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I'm not talking about simply being included!   I'm sure Donen will be as well as Kobe since he won an Oscar.  I have no problems with that.  I'm specifically talking about special recognition which is what it sounds like or else why are the Oscars making an announcement for normal In Memoriam inclusion?   If special recognition is indeed part of the Oscar's plans, that spot belongs to Stanley Donen.  He earned it.     

FTR : Donen wasn't included last year because (IIRC) he died almost days before the Oscar broadcast.

Regarding the bolded: Stanley Donen died on February 21st last year; the Oscars were held on February 24th... 3 days after his death.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 2

Aw.  Marj Dusay.  RIP.  I admit I did not like her Alexandra.  Her recast in the role after Beverlee Mckinsey was a bit jarring because their interpretations of the character were so different.  But she was definitely a presence.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Okay folks, it may be time for a little reminder about this thread.

1 - This thread is for dead celebrities.  It is not for not-dead celebrities or dead not-celebrities.

2 - A "celebrity," for the sake of this thread, is someone in the entertainment/pop culture world who has enough notoriety that most people would know who they are.

3 - While it is fine to post links announcing someone's death, subsequent links regarding news around that death need to be moved to a more appropriate thread. 

We understand that there is some gray area around points 2 and 3, but we will be removing posts that clearly do not meet this criteria.

Thank you for that reminder.

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Thanks for sharing that! It's great to see that despite the two characters often clashing and being at odds with one another, the two performers seemed to genuinely enjoy each other's company (at least at that moment) and a nice tribute from Miss Whelchel.  It helped give nuance to both characters whose bond was often frayed but never broken which gave Blair some sorely needed depth. RIP, Miss Dusay. 

• Love 6

Fred Silverman was responsible for moving All in the Family to Saturday night as at 8 on CBS in its second season, which kept it at number one for five years, and anchored the entire night's lineup: the other shows on that night were M*A*S*H, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, and The Carol Burnett Show. He then brought ABC to number one for the first time in history, greenlighting shows like Charlie's Angels and Three's Company during his presidency there.

...And then he nearly brought NBC to the point of collapse in the late 70's as the Peacock Network's president, especially when the United States' boycott of the summer Olympics in 1980 meant a HUGE financial loss for the network, as THEY were the ones set to air the Games. He did bring Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life there, though.

In short, he was, and is, a TOWERING figure in television broadcasting. RIP. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

One of the big names in the TV industry, programmer and executive producer Fred Silverman has died,

Wow.  I knew a bit about him, but reading that Hollywood Reporter obituary was eye-opening for the tremendous impact he had on television.  He's the reason CBS shifted from the Beverly Hillbillies/Petticoat Junction style of programming to things like M*A*S*H and Norman Lear comedies:

In 1970, Silverman was put in charge of everything on the air at CBS. "We had an old schedule that was directed at old people in rural areas," he said. "Our company-owned stations in cities like New York, Chicago and Los Angeles were dying with this schedule. Something had to be done."

ABC twice passed on pilots for All in the Family, but when Silverman saw it, "I couldn't believe what I was seeing," he recalled. "Compared to the crap that we were cancelling, this was setting new boundaries. To [CBS president] Bob Wood's credit, he said, 'We've got to put this on the air.'"

For All in the Family's second season, CBS chairman William S. Paley wanted the comedy buried on Mondays at 10:30 p.m. Silverman, for his first fall schedule, also was looking at the aging My Three Sons and Funny Face, a new show starring Sandy Duncan, anchoring Saturdays and The Mary Tyler Moore Show airing Tuesdays between The Beverly Hillbillies and Hee Haw.

"This is going to be my first and last season, I can see it now," Silverman remembered fretting.

But he convinced Wood to shift All in the Family and The Mary Tyler Moore Show to Saturdays, then had M*A*S*H moved from Saturdays to Tuesdays as the centerpiece of another strong night.

Soon, CBS was thriving, helped by Maude, The Jeffersons, Good Times and One Day at a Time — all from Norman Lear, the producer of All in the Family; The Bob Newhart Show and Rhoda, both from MTM, the company behind The Mary Tyler Moore Show; and new shows like Kojak and The Waltons, which was spawned from a 1971 telefilm called The Homecoming: A Christmas Story.

That alone would make him a major figure on TV history, but that's just one example.  And he had the mind for it early on:

Silverman went to Forest Hills High School and Syracuse University, then earned his master's degree at Ohio State. He wanted to be a director, but an adviser suggested he consider another livelihood. "He said you really ought to consider programming," he recalled in the TV Archive interview. "It requires a real knowledge of the business, and it is kind of creative, because you're picking the shows."

Silverman wrote a 600-page master's thesis that was an analysis of ABC programming practices from 1953, when the network had few hits, until 1959, when programs like The Untouchables and 77 Sunset Strip made it popular. "I tried to figure out what were the factors of this meteoric rise," he said.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Now Silverman, I recognize! He, who brought back Perry Mason to my small screen and other shows.

I think he may have been involved with the Ironside movies too.

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I remember when Johm Belushi played him on SNL. RIP

3 hours ago, UYI said:

Fred Silverman was responsible for moving All in the Family to Saturday night as at 8 on CBS in its second season, which kept it at number one for five years, and anchored the entire night's lineup: the other shows on that night were M*A*S*H, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, and The Carol Burnett Show. He then brought ABC to number one for the first time in history, greenlighting shows like Charlie's Angels and Three's Company during his presidency there.

...And then he nearly brought NBC to the point of collapse in the late 70's as the Peacock Network's president, especially when the United States' boycott of the summer Olympics in 1980 meant a HUGE financial loss for the network, as THEY were the ones set to air the Games. He did bring Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life there, though.

In short, he was, and is, a TOWERING figure in television broadcasting. RIP. 

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Wow.  I knew a bit about him, but reading that Hollywood Reporter obituary was eye-opening for the tremendous impact he had on television.  He's the reason CBS shifted from the Beverly Hillbillies/Petticoat Junction style of programming to things like M*A*S*H and Norman Lear comedies:

That alone would make him a major figure on TV history, but that's just one example.  And he had the mind for it early on:

He died of cancer according to his spokeswoman.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/arts/television/fred-silverman-dead.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fred-silverman-tv-titan-who-oversaw-prime-time-for-three-networks-dies-at-82-11580429702

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Now Silverman, I recognize! He, who brought back Perry Mason to my small screen and other shows.

Yup, and Matlock.

• Love 5
On 1/30/2020 at 4:58 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

There was only 1 Ironside TV movie, The Return of Ironside, with all the original cast members including Barbara Anderson & Elizabeth Baur, whose character Officer Fran Belding replaced Barbara Anderson’s character, Officer Eve Whitfield at the end of either the show’s 4th or 5th season. I’m reasonably sure it was Raymond Burr’s last completed work before he died.

In 2013, NBC aired a very short-lived Ironside reboot (9 episodes filmed, 5 aired), starring Blair Underwood as a younger, African-American version of the character. However the only elements they kept from the original were the Robert T. Ironside character, the fact he had been left paralyzed & a wheelchair user due to a shooting, & that despite his injury he was still a working police officer (though I think the reboot actually had him still working as a regular police officer/detective instead of in the consultant to the police department role of the original Ironside played by Raymond Burr). This version had different characters as Ironside’s assistants & he was a member of the NYPD, where Raymond Burr’s Ironside & his assistants worked with the San Francisco PD.

Could you be thinking of the reboot when you say there were multiple Ironside TV movies? I’m positive there was only 1 TV movie (& I have it on DVD).

A bit of trivia: Barbara Anderson is the last surviving lead or supporting cast member from the show.

In my March of Dimes days, I was fortunate enough to do a number of telethon fundraisers around the country with Don Galloway, who played Detective Sergeant Ed Brown in the Raymond Burr Ironside, & he remained a good friend of mine & my family’s for a number of years afterward; as well as 1 with Elizabeth Baur, who played Officer Fran Belding in the show (Don Galloway was also in that telethon’s cast; as I remember, it was held in Knoxville, TN).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To finally fix a screwed up tag I missed.
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

There was only 1 Ironside TV movie, The Return of Ironside, with all the original cast members

I know, but they were planning to make more, but Raymond Burr passed away. And I know the history and about Underwoood's short-lived show. Thank you.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know, but they were planning to make more, but Raymond Burr passed away. And I know the history and about Underwoood's short-lived show. Thank you.

I'm reading about the Ironside TV reunion movie right now as a matter of fact.