Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Kromm

In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths

10 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

LA County Sheriff reports there are NINE people confirmed dead in the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and his daughter.  The sheriff declined to identify any of the victims, saying that he believe is it disrespectful to the families to give names until the coroner has completed identification.  

NBC News says they have confirmed that Bryant and his daughter were among the victims, but the sheriff wouldn't go there.

Oh wow.

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

LA County Sheriff reports there are NINE people confirmed dead in the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and his daughter.  The sheriff declined to identify any of the victims, saying that he believe is it disrespectful to the families to give names until the coroner has completed identification.  

NBC News says they have confirmed that Bryant and his daughter were among the victims, but the sheriff wouldn't go there.

This is bonkers. I know they’re reporting Kobe and his daughter, but I really hope the entire family wasn’t wiped out in this crash. 

1 minute ago, NowVoyager said:

Wooow! Can you imagine the families learning about this through the media?! Omigosh...

I was on Twitter when it hit the social media. It was WILD how fast my feed was just covered with it.

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

This is bonkers. I know they’re reporting Kobe and his daughter, but I really hope the entire family wasn’t wiped out in this crash. 

I was on Twitter when it hit the social media. It was WILD how fast my feed was just covered with it.

I know that his wife was not on the plane.

10 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

Wooow! Can you imagine the families learning about this through the media?! Omigosh...

This is disgusting. Has all humanity been lost in an effort to report on a tragedy first?

I feel terrible for the families. I can only imagine their horror in learning this news from the media rather than law enforcement who would’ve at least been able to provide more clarity about what happen, than the speculative media. Very sad. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

It's been reported that Kobe & 1 of his daughters was on the plane. The 7 other people onboard that also died were unrelated to the Bryant family.

47 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I don't blame the sheriff from not going there.   Twitter was wild with "reports" on the other deceased.  At one point,  people were saying Rick Fox was on board until Rick's daughter put that to rest.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

9 minutes ago, Enero said:

This is disgusting. Has all humanity been lost in an effort to report on a tragedy first?

I feel terrible for the families. I can only imagine their horror in learning this news from the media rather than law enforcement who would’ve at least been able to provide more clarity about what happen, than the speculative media. Very sad. 

Agree! But alas, this is not a new development. Virtually EVERY member of Rick Nelson's family learned of his death in that plane crash on the night of New Year's Eve,1985 and New Year's Day, 1986 via the media with no one  from law enforcement informing of them- not just his  four children but also his older brother David and their elderly mother Harriet learned that awful news that way.  I've never understood why no one in law enforcement  didn't seem to think to somehow  to make sure the Nelsons were privately informed before this became a media circus. 

As for Mr. Bryant, I'm not about to pretend that his sudden death makes him even remotely a saint. However, it has to be horrible for his widow and the mother of their 13-year-old daughter to suddenly  lose two family members this way (to say nothing of the family members of the other plane crash victims). 

• Like 9
  • Sad 9

I wonder if the Motion Picture Academy has this year’s In Memoriam locked down yet? If they do, they should probably unlock it & add 1 person (at least, depending on what else happens between now & February 8 or 9; the Oscars are on February 9th). Most people have probably forgotten, but Kobe won an Oscar in 2018, as part of the team behind the Best Animated Short that year, Dear Basketball, which was based on something—the media’s calling it a poem—Kobe wrote on his retirement from basketball. So he deserves to be among those remembered at this year’s ceremony.

I’m shocked by this (I slept most of the afternoon & awoke to learn the news at dinner time; when I saw the “Hot” designation on the thread, I figured somebody BIG must’ve passed, but I never dreamed it would be Kobe & his daughter).

I’m saddened for Kobe’s family, friends, & other loved ones—sadly, he left 2 daughters, Bianka & Capri, who I think may not be old enough to remember Kobe, or Gianna, all that well (I think they’re pretty close in age, & only somewhere around preschool age, if even that).

I’m also saddened, in a way, for the game of women’s basketball. Kobe had passed his love of the game on to his teenage daughter Gianna (aka GiGi); they were on their way to a game she was to play in when they were killed in the crash. Considering how talented Kobe was, it might’ve been interesting to see if Gianna was as good as, or possibly better than, her dad in the women’s game. Now we’ll never know.

Kobe may not have been perfect (at least off the court). But then, none of us are.

RIP&L Kobe & Gianna

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I wonder if the Motion Picture Academy has this year’s In Memoriam locked down yet? If they do, they should probably unlock it & add 1 person (at least, depending on what else happens between now & February 8 or 9; the Oscars are on February 9th). Most people have probably forgotten, but Kobe won an Oscar in 2018, as part of the team behind the Best Animated Short that year, Dear Basketball, which was based on something—the media’s calling it a poem—Kobe wrote on his retirement from basketball. So he deserves to be among those remembered at this year’s ceremony.

I’m shocked by this (I slept most of the afternoon & awoke to learn the news at dinner time; when I saw the “Hot” designation on the thread, I figured somebody BIG must’ve passed, but I never dreamed it would be Kobe & his daughter).

I’m saddened for Kobe’s family, friends, & other loved ones—sadly, he left 2 daughters, Bianka & Capri, who I think may not be old enough to remember Kobe, or Gianna, all that well (I think they’re pretty close in age, & only somewhere around preschool age, if even that).

I’m also saddened, in a way, for the game of women’s basketball. Kobe had passed his love of the game on to his teenage daughter Gianna (aka GiGi); they were on their way to a game she was to play in when they were killed in the crash. Considering how talented Kobe was, it might’ve been interesting to see if Gianna was as good as, or possibly better than, her dad in the women’s game. Now we’ll never know.

Kobe may not have been perfect (at least off the court). But then, none of us are.

RIP&L Kobe & Gianna

I really do hope his name does get added.

• Like 2

R.I.P. also to Orange County baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife, Keri, and daughter Alyssa who also died in the crash. Alyssa and Gianna Bryant were teammates. The Altobelli’s two surviving children have lost both parents and their younger sister. 

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 26

Just now, MissAlmond said:

The Altobelli’s two surviving children have lost both parents and their younger sister. 

Damn. 

Hopefully there's relatives or somebody else who'll be able to take them in. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Kobe,Gianna Bryant and the other passengers' deaths are shocking and heartbreaking, to say the least. Although I wasn't a Kobe fan, my heart goes out to all the victims' families, especially Vanessa and their other kids.

Dealing with a loved one's death is tough enough, but doing it in public, with the whole world watching, is even worse. My condolences to all the families.

• Like 10

All 9 of the helicopter crash victims have been identified.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-victims-identified-john-altobelli-keri-altobelli-alyssa-altobelli-christina-mauser/

8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Marsha Kramer Dies: ‘Modern Family’ Actress Was 74

https://deadline.com/2020/01/marsha-kramer-dies-at-74-1202841477/

That's terrible. I wonder how she died.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

She was pretty funny on Fraiser as well. Sad that was her last role on MF. She was a scene stealer.

I was looking at articles to find a cause of death, but they all say unknown.

Based on the fog stories I'm reading, I'm wondering which adults were in charge of electing to fly under such risky conditions with children on board.   I can't even fathom getting onto a helicopter with children, when it's so foggy, it's not legal to fly and then asking for special permission to fly anyway in dangerous conditions.  Boggles the mind. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/01/27/report-kobe-bryants-helicopter-was-given-special-approval-to-fly-through-fog/#24273c3b13e2

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

They were actually talking about the crash on the Weather Channel (seriously), and they were discussing the fog aspect, too. It's amazing how many stories there are out there of plane/helicopter crashes that involved them flying in less than ideal conditions. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

They were actually talking about the crash on the Weather Channel (seriously), and they were discussing the fog aspect, too. It's amazing how many stories there are out there of plane/helicopter crashes that involved them flying in less than ideal conditions. 

I think the article I posted says that it's not uncommon to get special permission to fly in non-ideal conditions, but, it was dangerous enough that Kobe and his wife had an agreement to not both fly in helicopter at same time. 

https://people.com/sports/kobe-bryant-wife-vanessa-had-deal-never-fly-helicopter-together/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Isn't that how JFK Jr died? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Isn't that how JFK Jr died? 

One of several factors that suggest he shouldn't have been flying when he did. I don't know if all of this is accurate, but I've heard other reporting about at least some of these issues.

• Useful 5

A few minutes ago I got a notification on my iPhone saying tomorrow night’s Lakers/Clippers (both LA teams) game was postponed by the NBA due to Kobe’s (& the others involved, of course, though they were again the forgotten in this tragedy) death yesterday & its impact on the Lakers organization.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add a comment.
  • Useful 3

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

A few minutes ago I got a notification on my iPhone saying tomorrow night’s Lakers/Clippers (both LA teams) game was postponed by the NBA due to Kobe’s (& the others involved, of course, though they were again the forgotten in this tragedy) death yesterday & its impact on the Lakers organization.

Here is the statement.

image.thumb.jpeg.8701d97262954a9833afc6e43ecf6eaa.jpeg

• Useful 1

On 1/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, UYI said:

This is more or less where I am, too. It has always BAFFLED me how much this case got overlooked/forgotten after 2003, but I feel terrible for his family and friends, and especially his daughter. 

3 hours ago, magicdog said:

Neither did the NBC Nightly News (it was a quick blurb but it was there).

In another article (Buzzfeed - here) it says the pilot was instrument rated and able to fly in the fog and clouds. I wonder if conditions deteriorated rapidly once they got to Calabassas.

How terrifying those final moments must have been for all on board.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Neither did the NBC Nightly News (it was a quick blurb but it was there).

In another article (Buzzfeed - here) it says the pilot was instrument rated and able to fly in the fog and clouds. I wonder if conditions deteriorated rapidly once they got to Calabassas.

How terrifying those final moments must have been for all on board.

TuneIn Radio has tributes to Kobe that are happening right now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

TuneIn Radio has tributes to Kobe that are happening right now.

Thanks but that's not something I'm interested in. Kobe was an admitted sexual assaulter and all this "St. Kobe" gushing the media is spewing is revolting. I'm so glad the LA Time and NBC Nightly News reminded people he settled with the woman he assaulted.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Thanks but that's not something I'm interested in. Kobe was an admitted sexual assaulter and all this "St. Kobe" gushing the media is spewing is revolting. I'm so glad the LA Time and NBC Nightly News reminded people he settled with the woman he assaulted.

Washington Post has actually suspended a reporter because she talked about the rape charges yesterday, too soon for their taste:

The Washington Post has placed on administrative leave a reporter who tweeted a link to a news story about rape allegations against the late basketball star Kobe Bryant after his death on Sunday, saying “her tweets displayed poor judgment that undermined the work of her colleagues.”

The tweet by political reporter Felicia Sonmez sparked a furious backlash on social media, with many deeming it inappropriate just hours after Bryant and his daughter, Gianna, were killed in a helicopter crash outside of Los Angeles. In the wake of her posting, Sonmez said she received death and rape threats and her home address was posted online, compelling her to stay at a hotel overnight.

Some effing world we live in.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 17

So she displayed "poor judgment" for....bringing up the truth? Okay, then. 

And death and rape threats. Keep it classy, people. 

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 13

58 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

So she displayed "poor judgment" for....bringing up the truth? Okay, then. 

And death and rape threats. Keep it classy, people. 

This just makes me want to watch the trailer for Promising Young Woman again...

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

This is a huge loss for those of us that love 60's folk music...

As a Boomer, it strikes me, in a not very pleasant way, how much music I listen to every day is performed by people who are now dead.

• Like 8
  • Sad 8

6 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Bob Shane, the last of the founding members of the transformative folk group The Kingston Trio died yesterday...at the age of 83...An official national obit is coming out tomorrow but tributes are already starting. This is a huge loss for those of us that love 60's folk music...

https://bestclassicbands.com/bob-shane-obituary-kingston-trio-1-27-20/

He died at 85, not at 83.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, meowmommy said:

As a Boomer, it strikes me, in a not very pleasant way, how much music I listen to every day is performed by people who are now dead.

That’s a shame to hear about his passing, because it also happened when Kobe Bryant died as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Nicholas Parsons, English actor, radio and television presenter, dies aged 96.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jan/28/nicholas-parsons-host-of-just-a-minute-dies-aged-96

I was going to post that as well, but you beat me to it.

51 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Beat me to it. I went to a taping of Just a Minute once, they recorded three episodes in one afternoon, and it was wonderful fun to watch.

Same.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Like 1

OtterMommy

This thread is not meant to be a collection of obituaries, but rather a place for us to pay respect (or not) to the recently departed celebrities*.  If you're leaving a link to an obituary, please also provide some sort of personal context about the deceased.  (* For this thread, a celebrity is an entertainment or widely recognized figure.)