Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, catlover79 said:

John Karlen, of Dark Shadows and Cagney & Lacey fame:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/entertainment/2020/01/john-karlen-dead/amp/

6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Jack Kehoe, character actor in Serpico and The Sting, dies at 85.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jack-kehoe-dead-actor-serpico-sting-car-wash-was-85-1272008

Once again, the deaths are really dropping like flies.

• Love 1

Just my personal opinion, and not that it is a bad thing, but I just think that a lot of C-list and below celebrities are being reported in this list more than it ever was before. That makes it seems as if there has been a major uptick in celebrity deaths. Again, I am not saying that they shouldn't be.

• Love 15
40 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Just my personal opinion, and not that it is a bad thing, but I just think that a lot of C-list and below celebrities are being reported in this list more than it ever was before. That makes it seems as if there has been a major uptick in celebrity deaths. Again, I am not saying that they shouldn't be.

As long as it’s a celebrity, then it will count.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

These people have fans too.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

These people have fans too.

Of course they do and it's fine to remember them here, but many of the recent celebrity deaths reported here and elsewhere were hardly household names.  Most had a low level of recognition amongst fans of various genres; not stardom that is widely recognized.

The numbers of deaths reported has also risen due to social media as well as the fact that the generation of performers who became recognizable due to the growth of television and other media in the 60's and 70's are now quite elderly and their time has come.

6 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

At least he wasn't shucked by a rogue elephant like Chuckles the Clown.

• LOL 5
  • Love 16
15 hours ago, catlover79 said:

John Karlen, of Dark Shadows and Cagney & Lacey fame:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/entertainment/2020/01/john-karlen-dead/amp/

As I said last night in the C&L thread, Harvey absolutely infuriated me at times, but the way Karlen played him perfectly delivered on the writing, so that I not only understood why Mary Beth loved him, I regarded their marriage as a good one. 

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I watched him deliver the news for my entire life until his retirement -- his concept of the show as "newspaper for television" shone through.  Even though it has been nearly ten years since then, or since he moderated a presidential debate, it still feels odd to know I'll never see him again.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Harvey absolutely infuriated me at times, but the way Karlen played him perfectly delivered on the writing, so that I not only understood why Mary Beth loved him, I regarded their marriage as a good one. 

And recasting Harvey with Karlen was one of the BEST things this show did. He and Tyne had the best natural chemistry.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Of course they do and it's fine to remember them here, but many of the recent celebrity deaths reported here and elsewhere were hardly household names.  Most had a low level of recognition amongst fans of various genres; not stardom that is widely recognized.

The numbers of deaths reported has also risen due to social media as well as the fact that the generation of performers who became recognizable due to the growth of television and other media in the 60's and 70's are now quite elderly and their time has come.

At least he wasn't shucked by a rogue elephant like Chuckles the Clown.

I just had to post that.

I don’t know anything about Kobe’s career as I don’t follow basketball so I will always have to remember him as a guy who raped a hotel employee in his room. 

6 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I don’t know anything about Kobe’s career as I don’t follow basketball so I will always have to remember him as a guy who raped a hotel employee in his room. 

I don't follow basketball either.

6 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

OMG!  I'm in shock.  R.I.P. Mr. Bryant.

Always hated helicopters.

I'm in shock as well.

• Love 2

Kobe is someone I disliked as a BB player* long before his awful behavior as a human came to light (preying on a high school student that he would later marry and run around on (including at least one rape during that 'running around') should have been the first clue he was a deplorable person). That said, Vanessa went to the same high school I did (after I graduated) and they did some good things for the school. His poor wife and kids. How awful for them.

I always felt Kobe and Shaq changed the game from a true team game to a few superstars ruling the court. In the 80s and 90s there were numerous superstars but the teams worked together instead of it just being a one or two man "clinic".

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 17
11 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Yep.  The first thing I heard was a completely unconfirmed and, as far as I've seen, not repeated (did I emphasize that enough) report that something about the initial information from the sheriff's office indicates his daughters may be among the others killed in the crash, so my initial reaction was horror at that possibility.

My second reaction is sympathy for how that woman must feel seeing the national network news break into programming to go on about his greatness.

• Love 17