Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Aw man, I knew he was getting up there. No one else in the Tolkien family seems ready to step in as the gatekeeper of Middle-Earth.

Maybe stretching the definition of celebrity, but Betty Pat Gatliff, forensic sculptor dies at 89.

Ms. Gatliff developed a new method for facial reconstruction in the late 1960s and then spent nearly five decades refining her technique and teaching it to hundreds of students, including at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Va. She worked on at least 300 cases, with an estimated 70 percent “hit rate” of positive identification, as police used photographs of her work to generate leads and give a name to John or Jane Doe.

Working out of a home studio dubbed the SKULLpture Lab, she put a face to victims of serial killer John Wayne Gacy, sculpted a bust of President John F. Kennedy for a congressional committee investigating his assassination, and reconstructed the face of Tutankhamen, the ancient Egyptian pharaoh, and Francisco Pizarro, the Spanish conquistador.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Sébastien Demorand, French journalist and food critic.

https://www.nouvelobs.com/food/20200121.OBS23746/sebastien-demorand-l-ancien-jure-de-masterchef-est-mort.html#modal-msg

https://www.rtl.fr/culture/medias-people/sebastien-demorand-critique-gastronomique-est-decede-a-l-age-de-50-ans-7799917525

He was a member of the jury on the French version of MasterChef, and also appeared as a special guest in episode 18 of the second season of MasterChef US.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
7 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Probably causes related to his diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia (in 2016).

3 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

That one makes me really sad but at least he's not suffering anymore. I remember reading that his son said a while ago that he couldn't speak anymore due to his illness. Rest in peace Terry, thanks for the laughs. 

I forgot that he had dementia.

• Love 2

Heard the sad news about Terry Jones during my drive to work this morning. Monty Python had a huge influence on my sense of humor (as you might guess from my avatar). When I started watching in high school (Sunday nights on PBS, after Masterpiece Theater), I initially didn't "get it." After an older friend explained some of the references that were flying (pun intended) over my head, I grew to love it. To this day, my close friends know that they may be bombarded with a Python reference when they least expect it. My Crunchy Frog refrigerator magnet is a prized possession.  RIP, Terry Jones. Thanks for all your wacky (and often highly literate) humor over the decades. 

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 13

I first William Bogert from childhood as the neighbor from Small Wonder. Terrible show but he was good on it.

I love Terry Jones on Monty Python but I also loved his historical like documentaries Medieval Lives, The Crusades and Barbarians.

81kWnRtHOqL._SL1500_.jpg

• Love 12

So sad to hear about Terry Jones. I knew he was unwell, and obviously he was getting up there in years, but he was such a gentle and erudite force of nature, it's hard to believe he's gone.

I've been reminded of some of the great moments of comedy he was responsible for - characters like Brian's mother, Sir Bedevere (the whole witch scene is one of my favourite comedy bits ever), Mr. Creosote - as well as his historical TV programmes. The Crusades taught me a hell of a lot, when I watched the series as a young lad.

Michael Palin is my favourite Python, and when he dies I'll truly be crushed, but Terry was a close second. They both always seem like such nice, kind gentleman, completely unaffected by their achievements and their fame.

Palin talked about Terry's condition just a few weeks ago, and it sounds awful:

"Well, not terribly well – the kind of dementia he has is not something that can be cured particularly. It’s just a matter of time," he said.

"I go and see him, but he can't speak much, which is a terrible thing."

He went on: "I mean, for someone who was so witty and verbal and articulate and argued and debated, to be deprived of speech is a hard thing."

It's so cruel when someone who had such a wonderful mind begins to lose it.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4