Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I was just coming in to mourn Elizabeth Wurtzel.

I read the headline a couple of hours ago, but I'm still walking around like someone's knocking me upside the head.  I'm in a public place, around colleagues, so I'm trying not to weep as I write this.

I actually read her most famous work *last.  But ages ago, while in film school, I found a copy of Bitch, and was drawn in immediately.  Years later I read More Now Again -- her story of post-Prozac Nation fame, overlaid with what she was doing while writing Bitch.  The style of that rambling repetitive messy tome suddenly made sense!! ("So **this is your writing on Ritalin!")

I loved her, nonetheless.  We disagreed on many things, but she was my Hunter Thompson-sized inspiration.

Thanks Lizzie.  For all of it.  May you find the peace in heaven that you denied yourself on Earth.

• Love 7

Silvio Horta, ‘Ugly Betty’ Creator, Found Dead in Apparent Suicide

Not to take anything away from his accomplishments, but I'm surprised he didn't do much after Ugly Betty, considering how much of a hit it was.

Still, may he Rest in Peace.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Not to take anything away from his accomplishments, but I'm surprised he didn't do much after Ugly Betty, considering how much of a hit it was.

Still, may he Rest in Peace.

He probably had projects in development. It can take years to get new shows on the air.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Silvio Horta, ‘Ugly Betty’ Creator, Found Dead in Apparent Suicide

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/silvio-horta-dead-dies-ugly-betty-1203459934/

Regardless of his past or current achievements, how sad that he evidently  didn't seem to believe that things could become better or that he could have sought help to combat whatever demons he might have had. Whenever I hear about someone having taken their own lives, I hope that somehow at least one person who might have felt their lives had had no future hope may have been spurred to switch on that light to keep going and perhaps sought any help needed. RIP, Mr. Horta. 

• Love 4

Less than a week, and two of my favorite writers are gone.

Darling Buck!!!  Just for writing the single greatest expository speech in cinema history, you deserve heaven: Ryan O'Neal as Howard Bannister spoke it during the courtroom sequence of What's Up Doc?.

"...the one who's not my fiancée  is also the one who's not my wife...is that clear?"

"No, but it's consistent!"

Thanks for all the times you made me laugh so hard that I didn't even make a sound.

• Love 10

Rush live was just something you had to see.  There's two really good film about Rush that are worth viewing, one called Time Stand Still about their last tour, and Beyond The Lighted Stage, a straight up bio of the band that to me is one of the best music related documentaries out there.  

I just feel so bad about Neil - he'd overcome a lot and seemed like a very deep, very quiet, very cool dude who had in recent years been thru the wringer but kept at it.  Saying he was a talented drummer is a huge understatement...he was one of the best.  I never cried over Bowie or Prince, who I loved, but this guy I'm in tears for, I wish I could explain why.  

• Love 11

Cutter's Way is a wonderful movie that nobody saw in the 80's.....with Jeff Bridges but mainly the fantastic John Heard, who left us way too soon, you can see it free on Streamflix through Comcast and also Prime.  It is a dilly of a murder mystery. Ahhhhh man. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CherryMalotte said:

Rush live was just something you had to see.  There's two really good film about Rush that are worth viewing, one called Time Stand Still about their last tour, and Beyond The Lighted Stage, a straight up bio of the band that to me is one of the best music related documentaries out there.  

I just feel so bad about Neil - he'd overcome a lot and seemed like a very deep, very quiet, very cool dude who had in recent years been thru the wringer but kept at it.  Saying he was a talented drummer is a huge understatement...he was one of the best.  I never cried over Bowie or Prince, who I loved, but this guy I'm in tears for, I wish I could explain why.  

I love Rush. RIP Neil Pert.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, atlantaloves said:

Cutter's Way is a wonderful movie that nobody saw in the 80's.....with Jeff Bridges

I was young and went to this movie with a date. Ask me if I remember anything about it beyond the bicycles and the answer will be, "no." 😁