Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

This was a long, hard-fought battle:

Regarding Marie Fredriksson, this bit from a BBC article on her was also rather poignant:

In her autobiography, the singer wrote about the impact cancer had on her life.

"At last, it feels like I have reconciled myself to having a radiation injury to live with. That this is how it turned out," she said in The Love Of Life.

"I have lost many years through the disease. And it is also a sadness to age. But every day I think I'm grateful to be sitting here. And that I can still sing."

In her final single, 2018's Sing Me A Song, the star appeared to address her mortality, singing: "The love I had and gave / Makes it hard to say goodbye" over an elegant, mournful jazz backing.

As others have said...fuck cancer.

2 hours ago, ABay said:

The phrase "as gay as an Ungaro spring frock" will live on in memory. Sometimes I miss USENET.

I don’t know that particular phrase, but I miss USENET, too.  I practically lived on it in the late 90s/early 00s.  

• Love 2

Finally got a chance to watch TCM Remembers - as always, I wonder why the Academy Awards people don't have TCM do the In Memoriam for their broadcast.  TCM does a beautiful job on this every year.  

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Calvada said:

Finally got a chance to watch TCM Remembers - as always, I wonder why the Academy Awards people don't have TCM do the In Memoriam for their broadcast.  TCM does a beautiful job on this every year.  

I've come to the conclusion the Academy Awards just sees the In Memoriam segment as part of the evening's entertainment.  It's why they focus more on who's singing the song rather than the people they're supposedly remembering.  God forbid you're a behind the scenes person who lived a long life!   Almost every year there's a family member of a deceased past Academy Award winner/nominee complaining how the Oscar In Memoriam segment didn't include their loved one.  

• Love 4
On 12/14/2019 at 1:52 PM, Bastet said:

The TCM Remembers for 2019 is up on TCM's YouTube channel.  It's a good one, but might be a little more difficult than usual to edit to include any additional deaths between now and the end of the year - so that's another reason to hope we don't have any more. 

(TCM has now taken it down for some reason; stay tuned.)

(And now it's back up, edited.)

That was really beautiful tribute. I love that they used the tears in the rain scene for Rutger Hauer. Thank you for sharing. Definitely better than the Oscars.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2019 at 3:52 PM, Bastet said:

The TCM Remembers for 2019 is up on TCM's YouTube channel.  It's a good one, but might be a little more difficult than usual to edit to include any additional deaths between now and the end of the year - so that's another reason to hope we don't have any more. 

(TCM has now taken it down for some reason; stay tuned.)

(And now it's back up, edited.)

That was just beautiful. Good thing I'm not wearing mascara today.

• Love 7

TCM's tributes were far better than USA TODAY's. I mean, they dismissed Doris Day as merely a comic actress who made coy movies in the 1950's and 60's so therefore had no reason to be remembered by future generations. That's simply not true. She was also an EXCELLENT singer whose songs such as "Sentimental Journey" (1944)are timeless classics- and she also was a great dramatic actress. Let's not overlook  that she debuted her latter day trademark song of 'Que Sera, Sera' while playing the anguished mother of a kidnapped child in Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956).  Well, at least they did acknowledge that during the last part of her life her dedication to helping dogs and cats so that's something but I think they shortsighted her among other folks! 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

TCM's tributes were far better than USA TODAY's. I mean, they dismissed Doris Day as merely a comic actress who made coy movies in the 1950's and 60's so therefore had no reason to be remembered by future generations. That's simply not true. She was also an EXCELLENT singer whose songs such as "Sentimental Journey" (1944)are timeless classics- and she also was a great dramatic actress. Let's not overlook  that she debuted her latter day trademark song of 'Que Sera, Sera' while playing the anguished mother of a kidnapped child in Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956).  Well, at least they did acknowledge that during the last part of her life her dedication to helping dogs and cats so that's something but I think they shortsighted her among other folks! 

I adored Doris.  A fellow Ohioan.  Not just for her continuing support of animal rights, but she was there for Rock Hudson when it wasn't fashionable to acknowledge AIDS.

• Love 15