Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

RIP Danny Aiello. I loved him in Moonstruck and so many other iconic roles. 

Noooo! His performance in Do The Right Thing remains one of my top favorite role by any artist. He embodied that part so well. I was 16 when I went to a Central Park concert that featured Tommy James and The Shondells. And he was there, wearing gold medallions with his shirt unbuttoned and looking cool as fuck. What a nice man. He allowed me and my siblings to be close to the stage as possible. It was also my first concert experience that I'll never forget. Thanks, Danny. It was 1999, mind you. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Noooo! His performance in Do The Right Thing remains one of my top favorite role by any artist. He embodied that part so well. I was 16 when I went to a Central Park that featured Tommy James and The Shondels. And he was there, wearing gold medallions with his shirt unbuttoned and looking cool as fuck. What a nice man. He allowed me and my siblings to be close to the stage as possible. It was also my first concert experience that I'll never forget. Thanks, Danny.

My mom liked him in that movie as well.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

RIP Danny Aiello. I loved him in Moonstruck and so many other iconic roles. 

Yeah, he took what could have been a totally worthless part and made it somewhat empathetic. Also, even though the whole movie was pressing for Loretta (Cher's character) to dump him for Nicolas Cage's, I couldn't help but think that regardless of how intense the passion the latter two characters would have had for each other, Loretta would have been more content with Danny Aeillo's character in the longrun.  RIP, Mr. Aiello.

• Love 7

I never knew anything about Aiello beyond his roles until reading that THR obituary just now; he had an interesting background and career trajectory.  I like this about how he came to be in Do The Right Thing:

In a 2016 PBS interview with Rafael Pi Roman, Aiello noted that Spike Lee had been after him to star in Do the Right Thing (1989) for some time. "You got me making pizzas, flipping them in the air, that's a very ginzo thing," he told the writer-director.

"I'm not happy doing that, so I turned it down. But he never stopped. He kept coming to places where I was, seeing me in a restaurant, taking me to a ballgame, taking me to a Knick game.

"I [finally] said to him, 'If you give me an opportunity to add something to this character … I know this character, I may know him better than you." He said Lee listened to his recommendations and allowed Aiello to supply bits of dialogue, like when Sal yells at the African American kids in his pizza place and says, "They grew up on my food."

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 12/9/2019 at 6:25 PM, theredhead77 said:

Just a suggestion @MikaelaArsenault: instead of just posting a link or multiple links, include a sentence or two summarizing what the article is about. It's not always easy to tell by the link and a summary will help people who are browsing while on a break at work determine if the story is OK to read at work.

I apologize for that.

• Love 1
On 12/9/2019 at 6:08 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From CNN: Pete Frates, One of the Men Who Popularized the Ice Bucket Challenge, Has Died

The cause, of course, was ALS—Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis—aka Lou Gehrig’s Disease. The Ice Bucket Challenge, where participants were challenged to dump a bucket of ice over their heads, or make a donation to ALS research, was meant to raise funds to fight the disease & to bring awareness to it. Pete Frates, a former baseball player at Boston College, was only 34 when he died.

That’s really sad and tragic to hear about.

• Love 1

The TCM Remembers for 2019 is up on TCM's YouTube channel.  It's a good one, but might be a little more difficult than usual to edit to include any additional deaths between now and the end of the year - so that's another reason to hope we don't have any more. 

(TCM has now taken it down for some reason; stay tuned.)

(And now it's back up, edited.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Glad of the update; I was going crazy trying to find it. 

Do they usually release TCM Remembers so early in December?  I thought they waited until closer to the end of the year.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Do they usually release TCM Remembers so early in December?  I thought they waited until closer to the end of the year.

This is typical, at least in recent years; I just checked, and 2018 was released on the 14th and 2017 on the 17th.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

The TCM Remembers for 2019 is up on TCM's YouTube channel.  It's a good one, but might be a little more difficult than usual to edit to include any additional deaths between now and the end of the year - so that's another reason to hope we don't have any more. 

Why did they take it down?

On 12/11/2019 at 6:20 AM, Blergh said:

At that age, while Mr. Shatner's passing would be more expected than Mr. McKeon's was at a much younger age, he's still with us even if his fourth union has bit the big one! 

I still love the Shat in all his weirdness.  He has seemed to be able to laugh at himself.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I still love the Shat in all his weirdness.  He has seemed to be able to laugh at himself.

It is amazing he is still with us. You think with the weight gain and all, he would be at least health conscious, but he is in his 80s. God bless him.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Granted. Still, I have to say that I'm relieved he wound up not attending Mr. Nimoy's funeral so the family could give their patriarch the sendoff he deserved without Mr. Shatner attempting to make it ALL about him.  AFIC, the late Mr. Nimoy definitely wound up proving to be the more beautiful swan personality wise, regardless of outer looks. Believe it or not, Mr. Shatner has claimed that he found out that he and Mr. Nimoy were distant cousins which I think is possible since they both had Jewish ancestors who hailed from the Ukraine. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

(And now it's back up, edited.)

Wow.  It was beautiful.  And so sad that there were so many that quite a few were "blink and you'll miss them."  

I almost never cry over people I don't personally know, but this has me all choked up and teary.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Blergh said:

Granted. Still, I have to say that I'm relieved he wound up not attending Mr. Nimoy's funeral so the family could give their patriarch the sendoff he deserved without Mr. Shatner attempting to make it ALL about him.  AFIC, the late Mr. Nimoy definitely wound up proving to be the more beautiful swan personality wise, regardless of outer looks. Believe it or not, Mr. Shatner has claimed that he found out that he and Mr. Nimoy were distant cousins which I think is possible since they both had Jewish ancestors who hailed from the Ukraine. 

Yeah.  Reportedly most of the original Star Trek cast hated him.  In the latest of his several memoirs, The Shat said he and Leonard became best friends and The Shat was best man at Leonard's second marriage to Susan.  But in the years before he died, Leonard didn't communicate with him.  Strange.

If I may be permitted a personal digression - I worked for many years at a major airline.  Two of my close friends told me of encounters with Leonard Nimoy. Both said he was courteous and charming.  One of them, a flight attendant who could chew nails and spit them out, said Leonard's first wife Sandy was horrible and rude inflight.  But her face softened when she said "But HE was a lovely man.  A lovely man."  That is how I always think of him.😋

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Yeah.  Reportedly most of the original Star Trek cast hated him.  In the latest of his several memoirs, The Shat said he and Leonard became best friends and The Shat was best man at Leonard's second marriage to Susan.  But in the years before he died, Leonard didn't communicate with him.  Strange.

If I may be permitted a personal digression - I worked for many years at a major airline.  Two of my close friends told me of encounters with Leonard Nimoy. Both said he was courteous and charming.  One of them, a flight attendant who could chew nails and spit them out, said Leonard's first wife Sandy was horrible and rude inflight.  But her face softened when she said "But HE was a lovely man.  A lovely man."  That is how I always think of him.😋

When I was involved with the March of Dimes, I once (almost 50 years ago now... how time flies) did a telethon fundraiser in Salt Lake City with, among others, Leonard Nimoy (this was in the very early ‘70s; in thinking about it now, if Star Trek was as big a “thing” that close to the end of ST:TOS as it has been in more recent times, I’m amazed he would’ve actually participated in such a thing—especially since I think it took a lot to get him to appear at Star Trek Conventions over the years; as I remember, he almost never did them & Shatner almost never does them, or else it is/was the “biggest”, most “prestigious” ones). Like I said, it was almost 50 years ago now, so I—obviously—was very young at the time, but I do remember him as being very nice to me, as well.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

When I was involved with the March of Dimes, I once (almost 50 years ago now... how time flies) did a telethon fundraiser in Salt Lake City with, among others, Leonard Nimoy (this was in the very early ‘70s; in thinking about it now, if Star Trek was as big a “thing” that close to the end of ST:TOS as it has been in more recent times, I’m amazed he would’ve actually participated in such a thing—especially since I think it took a lot to get him to appear at Star Trek Conventions over the years; as I remember, he almost never did them & Shatner almost never does them, or else it is/was the “biggest”, most “prestigious” ones). Like I said, it was almost 50 years ago now, so I—obviously—was very young at the time, but I do remember him as being very nice to me, as well.

I've been to dozens of conventions and Shatner would do them if he was out of work but I never saw Mr. Nimoy.

And the stories about Sandy Nimoy were legion.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, bobalina said:

I've been to dozens of conventions and Shatner would do them if he was out of work but I never saw Mr. Nimoy.

And the stories about Sandy Nimoy were legion.

Wasn't Sandy a charter member of The First Wives Club along with Michael Landon's ex Lyn?  All they did was complain to People Mag about how unfairly they were treated,

Duh.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Wasn't Sandy a charter member of The First Wives Club along with Michael Landon's ex Lyn?  All they did was complain to People Mag about how unfairly they were treated,

Duh.

No, that's not all they did. They ALSO went on the Geraldo show where he did his usual mawkish clucking over them and dissing their exes but they all avoided how many exes HE had and how he'd treated them!   

To keep this ontopic, the 1st Mrs. Nimoy died in 2011  and the 2nd of 3 Mrs. Landons died in 2015 but  neither  ever had any other claim to fame besides having once been wed to those stars. Oh, and it should be noted that  the former Lynn Noe  had ,in fact started, courting Mr. Landon while he was still married to his first wife- and she was married to her 2nd husband  so her professing surprise that he'd repeat history with  her seemed a bit bogus! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Blergh said:

No, that's not all they did. They ALSO went on the Geraldo show where he did his usual mawkish clucking over them and dissing their exes but they all avoided how many exes HE had and how he'd treated them!   

To keep this ontopic, the 1st Mrs. Nimoy died in 2011  and the 2nd of 3 Mrs. Landons died in 2015 but  neither  ever had any other claim to fame besides having once been wed to those stars. Oh, and it should be noted that  the former Lynn Noe  had ,in fact started, courting Mr. Landon while he was still married to his first wife- and she was married to her 2nd husband  so her professing surprise that he'd repeat history with  her seemed a bit bogus! 

Jeez...and I thougt my family was screwed up.

Austin Luciano--the son of daytime soap actress Judi Evans (the original Beth Raines on Guiding Light, Adrienne Johnson/Bonnie Lockhart on Days of our Lives, and Paulina Cory on Another World)--has died at the age of 23. There are no details on the circumstances of his death, though.

He actually played Paulina's son Dante on Another World as a baby after he was born for awhile; Judi was pregnant with him when Paulina was pregnant with Dante, too.

He was her only child. 😢

https://soaphub.com/days-of-our-lives/soap-vet-judi-evans-loses-son-at-23/

2 hours ago, UYI said:

Austin Luciano--the son of daytime soap actress Judi Evans (the original Beth Raines on Guiding Light, Adrienne Johnson/Bonnie Lockhart on Days of our Lives, and Paulina Cory on Another World)--has died at the age of 23. There are no details on the circumstances of his death, though.

He actually played Paulina's son Dante on Another World as a baby after he was born for awhile; Judi was pregnant with him when Paulina was pregnant with Dante, too.

He was her only child. 😢

https://soaphub.com/days-of-our-lives/soap-vet-judi-evans-loses-son-at-23/

How sad!

On 12/15/2019 at 12:26 PM, meowmommy said:

Wow.  It was beautiful.

Yes it was.  As usual with TCM Remembers, there are always the little touches that make it extra special for me.  As an example: Take a look again at TCM Remembers 2007. Pay attention to the words of the song, and note how they paired people/actions with certain lyrics.  For 2019. we see Robert Evans and a scene from Chinatown, next Wayne Fitzgerald, credited as title designer for Chinatown, followed by Michael J Pollard who starred in Bonnie and Clyde, a movie in which Fitzgerald also designed the titles.  These little details is why - IMO - TCM Remembers remains the best of the In Memoriam tributes .  

• Love 6