Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Oscar Nominated ‘House of 1000 Corpses’ Actor Michael J. Pollard

First, that headline makes it sound as though he had been Oscar nominated for House of 1000 Corpses - which, well we all know that super bloody violent  exploitation horror  movies are total Oscar bait so I guess that makes sense 🙄.

He is completely associated with Bonnie and Clyde to me since he was treated as The Next Big Thing in the press after that,  for about a year.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 8

Arthur Marks, producer and director of Perry Mason has died, age 92.  So far the only notice I've found is from the Hollywood Reporter. The disrespect!  Perry Mason is my jam.  I shall watch an episode in tribute.  R.I.P. Mr. Marks.  I'll be checking to see if the Emmy's do right by you.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/arthur-marks-dead-producer-director-perry-mason-blaxploitation-films-was-92-1257411

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 5

Update:  OK.  Glad to see other industry websites noting Mr. Marks death.  I'm still keeping an eye on you Emmy's.  I saw what you did, or should I say didn't do, to Ken Kercheval.   Add'l links on Mr. Marks below:

https://deadline.com/2019/11/arthur-marks-dead-at-92-1202793864/

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/arthur-marks-dead-dies-perry-mason-blaxploitation-director-1203414336/

An interview with Arthur Marks on his role with "Blaxploitation" films.

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/Arthur_Marks:_Exploitation_Maverick

Edited by MissAlmond
added link
  • Love 3
On 11/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

He also appeared in the Bill Murray classic, 'Scrooged'.  He appeared in a bunch of classic films in the late 60's, was a 'go to' character actor.  Very talented guy.

At one time, he was married to the late Beth Howland, who played Vera, the ditsy waitress on Alice.  They had a daughter.

Michael J Fox has said he specifically chose the initial 'J' for his SAG name because he admired Michael J Pollard's work so much.  When he applied for his SAG card, there was already a Michael Fox in the union, so he needed to use a middle initial.  I don't recall his actual middle name, but didn't start with 'J'.

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Michael J Fox has said he specifically chose the initial 'J' for his SAG name because he admired Michael J Pollard's work so much.  When he applied for his SAG card, there was already a Michael Fox in the union, so he needed to use a middle initial.  I don't recall his actual middle name, but didn't start with 'J'.

It’s ‘A’.  That’s why he chose another initial.  Michael, a fox.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Also, what is it with these k-pop stars attempting/committing suicide?

They don't really have lives, their management company pretty much runs their lives & tells them what to do, including having plastic surgery to change their looks. 

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, GaT said:

They don't really have lives, their management company pretty much runs their lives & tells them what to do, including having plastic surgery to change their looks. 

While that is true, it's usually not the reason for suicide attempts.

Like with many people, it's depression.  And it's mainly undiagnosed, because their management company probably doesn't really care about mental health as much as physical health. (Injuries mean idols can't dance/sing, meaning they can't perform live, meaning they can't make money.  But depression is an invisible illness, so it gets ignored.)  Or the idols are in denial about having depression in the first place.

In the case of female idols, there's one other major factor; netizens.  Specifically haters that post hate-filled screeds on any/every social media about any little thing the idol says or does that deviates from how they're "supposed to be/act".   And those screeds are echoed and supported by other haters, and just build up around anything having to do with the idols.

For Hara, there were a couple of other factors.  One is a still on-going legal battle with an ex-boyfriend.  He was found guilty of crimes including physical assault (However, she was the one originally investigated for assault on him, since she defended herself and she was the one that got "reported" to the police.  She never denied hitting him, but claimed it was a two-sided affair; the details of which led to the other charges against him), property damages, threatening (blackmail), and unnecessary force.  But the charge of sexual assault in the form of filming illegal footage was dismissed, because she supposedly knew about the footage and did not ask for it to be immediately deleted.  However, both sides appealed the decision; his side wanting to get him a lighter sentence than the 18 months given (with a 3-year probation period to follow), and her side trying to get the sexual assault charges to stick.

The other factor was that Hara was a close friend of Sulli, the previous suicide.

• Love 1
On 11/25/2019 at 5:58 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

I do wonder how Harry Morton died though.

Because I read that he was dining with his father on Friday and was in good spirits then, and no foul play was involved.

Regarding the bolded: A report in The Las Vegas Review-Journal says Harry Morton died of a massive heart attack, brought on by coronary disease and several blocked arteries. It also said that the office of the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner ruled that he suffered from coronary artery disease & had a mildly enlarged heart.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: A report in The Las Vegas Review-Journal says Harry Morton died of a massive heart attack, brought on by coronary disease and several blocked arteries. It also said that the office of the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner ruled that he suffered from coronary artery disease & had a mildly enlarged heart.

Thank you.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Jonathan Miller directed the "Long Day's Journey Into Night" with Jack Lemmon and Kevin Spacey and Peter Gallagher that played in the theatre where I worked back in the day.  Jack Lemmon and Peter Gallagher are wonderful people.  I don't remember much of Mr. Miller, but he was an extraordinary talent. 

I was just talking about Jonathan Miller yesterday with Mr. pig. He was a cousin of one of my college roommates. I saw many of his productions in London and he was a brilliant conversationalist on Cavett back in the day.

I'll always remember him discussing his severe stutter and having to instantly search for a workaround when he realized that on that day his challenging consonant was, for example, "M".

How horrible that such a brilliant, funny and articulate (despite or maybe because of the stutter) died of Alzheimers.

RIP, sir.  You were witty, generous, and one of a kind.

• Love 5
On 11/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, ebk57 said:

Jonathan Miller . . . he was an extraordinary talent. 

Truly a national treasure, with such a broad and deep range.  I'm feeling old because huge influences from my childhood are dying.

• Love 4

Actress Joan Staley has died, age 79.

I'm a sucker for The Ghost and Mr. Chicken and The Case of the Double Entry Mind is one of my favorite Perry Mason episodes.  R.I.P. Ms. Staley.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/joan-staley-dead-actress-ghost-mr-chicken-roustabout-was-79-1258516

https://deadline.com/2019/11/joan-staley-dead-the-ghost-and-mr-chicken-77-sunset-strip-actress-1202797420/

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/11/30/joan-staley-batman-dick-van-dyke-show-actress-dead-at-79/

Edited by MissAlmond
35 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Oh no! How sad!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50619991

Irving Burgie, composer of the iconic Day-O, dies at age 95.  I challenge you to get through the day without this as an earworm - a happy earworm though!

Mr. Burgie wrote a catchy tune,to be sure- yet the lyrics of having to labor throughout the night for nothing but a 'drink of rum' were somewhat sad. 

However; it did help propel the Harlem-born Harry Belafonte into fame as a singer which he would use to have an illustrious acting career.

RIP, Mr. Burgie.

• Love 7
On 11/10/2019 at 1:47 PM, MikaelaArsenault said:

Oh that’s very sad!

A sixth-grade girl in our school district, 12 years old, daughter of a local judge, well cared for and loved, died one night of an asthma attack.  So shocking and almost unbelievable, but it happens.  

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

And he died from heart failure apparently. I didn’t know that he was sick.

Pretty much everybody who lives to be that age is going to die of heart failure. Doesn’t mean they’re sick, just means they’re old.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

What's especially ironic about the recently deceased performer known as Shelley Morrison who originally shot to fame playing the Puerto Rican Catholic nun Sister Sixto was she was born in the Bronx, her original name was Rachel Mitrani- and her parents were Sephardic Jews. Well, despite changing her name, Miss Morrison DID celebrate her Hispanic heritage and gave heart to her roles. RIP, Mrs.Dominguez!

• Love 7
16 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Pretty much everybody who lives to be that age is going to die of heart failure. Doesn’t mean they’re sick, just means they’re old.

Heart failure is actually a very specific disease that not everyone gets, and young people get it, too.  It means failure of the myocardium, the heart muscle, to pump blood effectively, due to either thinning or thickening of the left ventricular wall, and there are multiple potential causes.  It's not a heart attack and it's not cardiac arrest. 

Now, if you see an obituary that says the person died of cardiac arrest and no underlying cause is given, feel free to roll your eyes.  100% of people die in cardiac arrest...just means the heart stopped beating.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

Robert K. Massie has passed. He wrote a lot of historical books about the Romanovs. Including the book Nicholas and Alexandra on which the movie was based upon. Obit is in the N.Y.Times. Sorry I can’t post links. 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Robert K. Massie has passed. He wrote a lot of historical books about the Romanovs. Including the book Nicholas and Alexandra on which the movie was based upon. Obit is in the N.Y.Times. Sorry I can’t post links. 

Tremendous author.  He also wrote superb biographies of Peter the Great and Catherine the Great.  He also wrote an excellent book describing the search for the remains of Nicholas and Alexandra and their children including the forensic and DNA evidence used to prove their identities after their bones were discovered.

• Love 14

Amazingly enough that Mr. Massie and his first wife Suzanne were motivated to   move mountains  (including no small amount of red tape re getting documents from the Soviets in the mid 1960's) when writing about Czar Nicholas II of Russia and his wife Princess Alix of Hesse due their own  identification being the parents of a hemophiliac son (Robert IV who, incredibly, HAS survived his father at age 63).    RIP, Mr. Massie  and , END Alzheimer's ! 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I guess this counts as a celebrity death.  Li'l Bub the 'internet cat sensation' has died at the age of 8.  She was a cutie (and the only other internet cat I recognized apart from Grumpy Cat).

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/02/entertainment/lil-bub-cat-death-trnd/index.html

That’s sad to hear about.

12 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I guess this counts as a celebrity death.  Li'l Bub the 'internet cat sensation' has died at the age of 8.  She was a cutie (and the only other internet cat I recognized apart from Grumpy Cat).

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/02/entertainment/lil-bub-cat-death-trnd/index.html

Lil Bub died in her sleep on December 1, 2019. According to her owner, Lil Bub had been fighting a bone infection at the time of her death.

• Love 2